3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

27.07.21 2021.14

- 2D-Paint remade to use Voxel Brush Engine. It kept all previous functionality but got much much faster stroking, drawing by spots/chunks, accurate edges, painting without "ladder" effect if thickness becomes too small. And of course rich options for stroke and alpha.

- For other brushes fixed the rare random plane rotation when you stroking fast.

- When Coat starts on some PC the width of the tool params window (if undocked) is set up in correspondence with the font size. Otherwise, it looks ugly on bigger fonts size.

awesome!!! just tested seems to work really well so far! thanks for fixing it :) I still have the pressure of the tablet acting on the depth of the stroke even i disactivated the option.

• Advanced Member

Happy to confirm in 2021-14 when windows are resized and the program is closed/reopened it now retains the size it was on a multi-monitor setup. Also ability to import multiple objects into a single scene now works as expected as well, thanks.

• Advanced Member

Split Tool;

With 4.9 when you used the split tool on a Voxel Object, it created a new layer for the split off object that automatically received the default shader.

I find with 2021 that no longer happens; there's no splitting off to a new layer and the shader remains the same. 

I also had the same problem that Jimmy had where 2021-09 crashed immediately every time on launch. I also have  an older cpu (Phenom II). I tried the 2021-12-CMPT you prepped for him and it seems to have fixed the problem. Will you be able to offer future releases with this "fix" for those of us with ancient systems?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 258cj7 said:

I also had the same problem that Jimmy had where 2021-09 crashed immediately every time on launch. I also have  an older cpu (Phenom II). I tried the 2021-12-CMPT you prepped for him and it seems to have fixed the problem. Will you be able to offer future releases with this "fix" for those of us with ancient systems?

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's good to know I'm not alone. Two voices are better than one 

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

27.07.21 2021.14

- 2D-Paint remade to use Voxel Brush Engine. It kept all previous functionality but got much much faster stroking, drawing by spots/chunks, accurate edges, painting without "ladder" effect if thickness becomes too small. And of course rich options for stroke and alpha.

- For other brushes fixed the rare random plane rotation when you stroking fast.

- When Coat starts on some PC the width of the tool params window (if undocked) is set up in correspondence with the font size. Otherwise, it looks ugly on bigger fonts size.

Maybe voxel scrape can be remade with new engine too?

• Like 1

I love how FAST updates are done ;] but maybe we need some auto-update for that 200 BMP 3dcoat heartbeat metrum? XD

At least an optional "Updater" Tool like Pixologic for Zbrush has would be a time saver. It is difficult for companies to install and uninstall 3DCoat every time there is a new Update. Or is there an option I missed?

• Like 2

Kudos to how you prepared Linux version. @SERGYI you did amazing job! Thanks! I really like how pen tablet support is implemented with nice info and env variables! This made 3doat the best sculpting and texturing app on Linux. Works flawless on latest Ubuntu and Fedora! I was disappointed before with lack of Linux support, but now I must admit it worth every cent, and even more. I truly hope this approach will continue. Of course entire 2021 release is amazing, but how you managed Linux version shows how passionate you are about this software and that counts! Keep up the good work !

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ebitz said:

@SERGYI Attached is a Strace of crash when baking normal map per pixel. I do not know if it could help.

Strace_3DCoat

Some threads say that causes an error; "The futex facility returned an u"...

It may be "The futex facility returned an unexpected error code" and  complete messages are put in the console (stderr).

Did you try `./3dcoat 2> error.log'?  It could be help to solve it.

• Like 1

• Contributor
4 hours ago, SreckoM said:

Kudos to how you prepared Linux version. @SERGYI you did amazing job! Thanks! I really like how pen tablet support is implemented with nice info and env variables! This made 3doat the best sculpting and texturing app on Linux. Works flawless on latest Ubuntu and Fedora! I was disappointed before with lack of Linux support, but now I must admit it worth every cent, and even more. I truly hope this approach will continue. Of course entire 2021 release is amazing, but how you managed Linux version shows how passionate you are about this software and that counts! Keep up the good work !

I agree, mostly.

They would show that much more love for the Linux platform (and Mac, for that matter) if they would streamline their building process to be able to release Linux (and Mac) builds within hours after the initial Windows build is published. Having to wait for days (and days) for critical bug fixes already solved is a tad frustrating.

Other companies manage to do so (and not just by delaying the publish of the main build, in this case, the Windows one (that's not what this is about)) and this great team can do it too.

Then, they'll show that absolute commitment to all selling platforms.

During a Beta phase is not optimal to wait for days to try to help to find bugs in all platforms, but is not a big deal. Now, though, we're even skipping entire build releases, for days on end, on a released product.

That being said, the work done for the new 2021 version is patent, and with a bit of extra organisation, or allocation of resources, it'll be fantastic, for sure.

Edited by Allabulle

23 hours ago, Mihu83 said:

Checked all the API configurations before( reported on July 13) and I have newest drivers.

By the way, it works perfectly fine in V4 series, including 4.9.72, so...

Please send email directly to me sergkryzh AT gmail DOT com. I will compare tablet code 4.9.72 vs 2021 and will build a special executable for you.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:35 PM, sprayer said:

@SERGYI Can you check TabletPC with Vsync option, it feels working in 30fps, i can see difference during rotation viewport compare to Wintab.

Attached video 60fps

I am afraid that this depends on hardware/driver configuration. On my system the situation is completely opposite: "TabletPC" is very fast (> 50 FPS), but "WinTab" slows down FPS (to 10 FPS) on my Wacom Intuos 3.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, jimhatama said:

Maybe voxel scrape can be remade with new engine too?

Gradually every voxel tool will be remade because VoxelEngine is really flexible and nice for both - users and programmers. Today I remade Carve and Build and it works really much better. 

And seems in 14 build the brush direction is broken (not precise), it is fixed (in today's build 15), but 14 is not recommended for sculpting.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Daffyd said:

Hi

@Andrew Shpagin Thanks for the reply about the sculpt layers!

I noticed that the Clone Tool in Paint Room is broken. I am not able to select a Clone Type because while I move the mouse/pen Dx and Dy are increasing/decreasing.

Hope the gif is working:

CloneToolBug.gif.2b134a4c99cc58574af5dddf0bab8289.gif

It happens if you pressed CTRL+click over the model but hast not started to paint. Coat expect you will begin painting. So click on the model again and you will be able to select mode. Anyway, this looks strange, so I will correct it to avoid this situation. 

On 7/24/2021 at 9:46 PM, roentgen said:

Does anyone know how to add brush rotation to Snake Clay?

In kitbash room, I put snakes onto support polygons, the brush will ignore rotation on brush setting.
I don't know if this bug or spec.

It could appear at 2021's any versions.

This was same for 4.x so I think that's a spec.

But now Kitbash+Snake is like this, makes a dissonance. I want they should be put look like as along normal of polygons.

image.thumb.png.2c01a73248ab307a48ac2fedccfabd92.png

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Gradually every voxel tool will be remade because VoxelEngine is really flexible and nice for both - users and programmers. Today I remade Carve and Build and it works really much better.

How about a more customizable sphere tool ? Afaik the only ways to modulate it at present are :
-via jitter in brush options which is random (and jitter radius does not seem to work anymore)
-via tapering curve, which is too much "set in stone" so to speak.
I am curious to see what would be possible if it could be made to work with strips.

Also, the Muscle tool lacks a "Draw from first point" tick box, which would be really, really nice to have.

And Radius pressure does not seem to work with muscle tool at the moment.

Edited by Silas Merlin

In paint room, I see some creepy message on a voxel object which be filled by smart materials.

The message is appeared like as an watermark depends on viewport camera's angle, can read 'Emotion.net'? but be flipped.

I hope you understand. In the center of viewport, there is dead man's message crosses perpendicularly at the screen.

I've never written such a message.

image.thumb.png.8864b641f6811150efd6399ddff322a1.png

It's a scary story in the summer night.

version 2021.14, windows10.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

The reason is that you sculpted something into the "BakedNodes" layer. Nodes baking overwrites that layer, so your layer content vanished. Try to rename the BakedNodes layer before baking.

It's happening even with the default sphere.

I'll do some testing, but I also tried deleting the default shere in voxel sculpting and creating a new sphere primitive in which case it worked...but I had the same problem with cube and some other primitive shapes.

Node setup.

image.thumb.png.08e588177932269cabbe92b0bb77f3a3.png

No sculpting done.

image.thumb.png.d8989e081349fcc272b1264f6e102e9a.png

It worked this time...but it's not working every time????  Very strange...I'll see if I can pinpoint the issue.  Maybe you can try a few times to see if works consistently.

image.thumb.png.0850c69ecbb7234e8a6031d791a95ffc.png

image.png

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, roentgen said:

In paint room, I see some creepy message on a voxel object which be filled by smart materials.

The message is appeared like as an watermark depends on viewport camera's angle, can read 'Emotion.net'? but be flipped.

I hope you understand. In the center of viewport, there is dead man's message crosses perpendicularly at the screen.

I've never written such a message.

Is it with one of the default smart materials (I doubt it)
look for the folder which contains the smart material and inspect the textures, you will likely find the message there.

• Advanced Member

This is a gif showing me clicking on the same node-based shader multiple times.  The parameters keep changing for some reason.  This used to happen with all the node shaders I made, but now it's just this one.  The others seem more stable.  I made this in an older version of the program...maybe 2021.09 or something which might be part of the  issue.

1389952364_GIF2021-07-283-41-24PM.gif.786c9ccb7c56c407275d625ca4aacc25.gif

Here is my node tree...the shader in this image isn't displaying as intended.

image.thumb.png.1baf769e8704d85410a99528304b2094.png

• Thanks 2

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic