3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

19 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

Is it with one of the default smart materials (I doubt it)
look for the folder which contains the smart material and inspect the textures, you will likely find the message there.

Yes it is one of the defaults.

I can't remember I've painted by which of the default materials but may be ColoniaMarple, I doubt it.

CaloniaMarple:

F:\Program Files\3DCoat-2021.14\UserPrefs\Shaders\PbrShaders\#Misc\ColonialMarple

Color texture is that, F:\Program Files\3DCoat-2021.14\UserPrefs\Shaders\PbrShaders\#Misc\ColonialMarple\CustomSampler1.dds

I found the message  will disappear if I check 'Use normal map' off.

But ShaderParams.xml of ColonialMarple does not tell me that file.

It says:

<ExShaderParam>
   <Usage>USE_NORMALMAP</Usage>
   <ID>CustomSampler2</ID>
   <Type>texture</Type>
   <!ShortName>Tangent_normalmap</!ShortName>
   <ChooseTexture></ChooseTexture>
  </ExShaderParam>

CustomSampler2, is missing file in ColonicalMarple directory, is a name that I can see throughout under the UserPrefs, I don't know which texture will be used as a normalmap in this case.

28.07.21 2021.15

- Build tool in voxels replaced with Build based on VoxelBrush engine. It is as accurate and smooth as the original Build but has better control, settings, and speed. Airbrush still remains, but I see no advantage in it, build does the same, but better.

- Fixed the essential problem of the previous build - incorrect brush direction. Now both issues are fixed - incorrect direction and random brush flip (from earlier builds). So it is important to install 15 instead of 14!

- Carve tool was also implemented within the VoxelEngine paradigm. Same functionality, but better control and speed.

- CPU-s without SSE4.1 are supported as well. SSE2 is enough. It was done so that higher CPU-s will not get the performance penalty.

- Voxel/Surface brush engine skips pressure if pressure dependency is turned off with E-panel (or in top panel).

- Fixed problem when you can't change clone type in paint room clone tool.

- Fixed crash in UV room due to repeating UV set name. But repeating UV sets are still problematic...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• Reputable Contributor
32 minutes ago, roentgen said:

Yes it is one of the defaults.

I can't remember I've painted by which of the default materials but may be ColoniaMarple, I doubt it.

CaloniaMarple:

But... this is a shader, not a smart material....
you can't "paint" with a shader

38 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

But... this is a shader, not a smart material....
you can't "paint" with a shader

That is. Sorry, I confused that.

I had put a shader to a whole of voxel volume and I have painted it by the default materials to put a detail.
(May be I had painted the volume first by the default materials, dust, to calculate carvature and occlusion)

Edited by roentgen

• Reputable Contributor
36 minutes ago, roentgen said:

I tried make it simple, color is black, no see paint layers. And suddenly the message gonna be sharp as I check 'Modulate color by texture' off.

NoEmotion.net, that was the watermark.

Ok, I can reproduce the issue but I don't get the noemotion message. Instead I get a list of characters.
I think the following video should be enough to show and reproduce the issue and hopefully fix it. It must be like you said, there is no default normal map texture set for those shaders, but when that is the case why does 3d-Coat pick a totally irrelevant one instead ?

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, roentgen said:

Some threads say that causes an error; "The futex facility returned an u"...

It may be "The futex facility returned an unexpected error code" and  complete messages are put in the console (stderr).

Did you try `./3dcoat 2> error.log'?  It could be help to solve it.

Thanks roentgen. Tried the error.log you mentioned. All I got was a listing of input devices and then a "Aborted (core dumped)" message. Nothing of detail.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

28.07.21 2021.15

- Build tool in voxels replaced with Build based on VoxelBrush engine. It is as accurate and smooth as the original Build but has better control, settings, and speed. Airbrush still remains, but I see no advantage in it, build does the same, but better.

- Fixed the essential problem of the previous build - incorrect brush direction. Now both issues are fixed - incorrect direction and random brush flip (from earlier builds). So it is important to install 15 instead of 14!

- Carve tool was also implemented within the VoxelEngine paradigm. Same functionality, but better control and speed.

- CPU-s without SSE4.1 are supported as well. SSE2 is enough. It was done so that higher CPU-s will not get the performance penalty.

- Voxel/Surface brush engine skips pressure if pressure dependency is turned off with E-panel (or in top panel).

- Fixed problem when you can't change clone type in paint room clone tool.

- Fixed crash in UV room due to repeating UV set name. But repeating UV sets are still problematic...

I hope that the development team can add an update content release page on the official website to avoid coming to the forum to find new content and fix bugs every time it is updated. I hope to reply.

• Advanced Member

Is there no way to edit imported models in the new modelling room? We can only create and edit  models from inside 3dcoat?

https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25878-import-external-model-into-3dcoat-for-modelling-uvmap-painting/

The new modelling feature would be limited if that is the case.

5 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Ok, I can reproduce the issue but I don't get the noemotion message. Instead I get a list of characters.
I think the following video should be enough to show and reproduce the issue and hopefully fix it. It must be like you said, there is no default normal map texture set for those shaders, but when that is the case why does 3d-Coat pick a totally irrelevant one instead ? 

Thanks. But this may be not same to an issue of me.

"No" of "NoEmotion.net" is colored red, color must not be produced by normal map.

So I tried to find the message in its reflection.

My voxel volume may have some reflective shader(I can't remember where/when it is applied).

And found it in F:\Program Files\3DCoat-2021.15\UserPrefs\Panoramas\27646443.dds.

image.thumb.png.3503bea662168ec4fcb58750cab74e25.png

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, roentgen said:

Thanks. But this may be not same to an issue of me.

"No" of "NoEmotion.net" is colored red, color must not be produced by normal map.

So I tried to find the message in its reflection.

My voxel volume may have some reflective shader(I can't remember where/when it is applied).

And found it in F:\Program Files\3DCoat-2021.15\UserPrefs\Panoramas\27646443.dds.

Oh wow, good job, yes, that's one of the environement map hdr's and I see it too.

sorry I totally failed to understand the problem, there were enough hints in what you said ("depending on camera angle", and later "painted black", but some words threw me off course (painted with shader, voxels (as soon as you paint on high poly it ceases to be voxels and becomes surface mesh)

image.thumb.png.691369070f07a6b7ccb398b7d97f9da8.png

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 1

Hi. Since a sculpt layer seems to be destroyed if you bake onto it, or even fill it with the paint bucket tool, could it be possible to add a warning before changing the sculpt layer with a non sculpt action? Or automatically colour code a layer with a sculpt data to make it clearer? Thanks

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

28.07.21 2021.15

With default settings I found Build tool to act more like Extrude, but after some tweaking I did manage to get something similar to the old build tool and it felt nice(r).

I don't see Airbrush tool, where is it located ?

image.png.b60737938300057a0ba2a34d2440c621.png

As for the usefulness of having airbrush in addition to build, I don't know if this can save the tool, but here is how I personally use it in 4.9 :
I don't like presets, I prefer to use the tools in the left tool bar by themselves, and I combine them with strips or whatnot manually when needed.
In this scenario, I find it useful to have different tools with different stroke mode that I do not need to change constantly.
sometimes, I need to ptoject a stencil on the whole voxel object from camera. For that I like to use Airbrush which I set up permanently with the rectangle tool.

So, in my case, it has a single, limited, yet useful function.
What do others think ?

• Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2021 development thread
2 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

With default settings I found Build tool to act more like Extrude, but after some tweaking I did manage to get something similar to the old build tool and it felt nice(r).

I don't see Airbrush tool, where is it located ?

image.png.b60737938300057a0ba2a34d2440c621.png

As for the usefulness of having airbrush in addition to build, I don't know if this can save the tool, but here is how I personally use it in 4.9 :
I don't like presets, I prefer to use the tools in the left tool bar by themselves, and I combine them with strips or whatnot manually when needed.
In this scenario, I find it useful to have different tools with different stroke mode that I do not need to change constantly.
sometimes, I need to ptoject a stencil on the whole voxel object from camera. For that I like to use Airbrush which I set up permanently with the rectangle tool.

So, in my case, it has a single, limited, yet useful function.
What do others think ?

Hover build - see airbrush. Please show settings that are closest to original build.

And you may duplicate any brush and construct airbrush as a different version of build.

• Reputable Contributor
54 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Hover build - see airbrush. Please show settings that are closest to original build.

And you may duplicate any brush and construct airbrush as a different version of build.

I should have said "closest to the original build tool the way I use it" which can't be true for everyone.
Anyway here is what makes the difference : "Use buildup", depth and opacity pressure, 3rd default alpha
image.png.4cb2f6b758e49e586a7ef83ec5733f84.png

New problems I saw just now :

-right click build > duplicate > rename > click ok >> nothing happens, the duplicate tool does not appear in the left tool bar.

-defaut E keyboard shortcut for strokes mode panel has no effect (panel does not appear)

-when you change keyboard shortcut for stroke mode and make it work, there is a discrepency in the display as to what is the active mode
image.png.3646ac327374fa522c530422a308ea7c.png

-when you close Coat and reopen, the build tool reverts to default alpha despite having these options ticked in preferences :
image.png.cc5df6fab1c26f8a1992a07e30aa419a.pngimage.png.510f76723d1a66ebc6674a26123638a6.png

1 hour ago, iRadovsky said:

Hey guys - is there the way to upgrade from node-lock to floating to make 2 computers run 3DC at the same time at my home?1551430912_Screenshot2021-07-29at18_19_18.thumb.png.09b95aa4d0147fb76cb57092ba712c9d.png

Thanks for your request. First off, there're no Floating licenses for individual use as of today - that solution was designed for companies, where multiple users could use 3DCoat at alternate times under one and the same 'seat'. The Floating license also requires a local server setup, which manages the use of the 3DCoat license accross the computers connected. If your target is to have 3DCoat run on two computers simultaneously, you'd need to have two 'seats', which essentially means two license keys. Which in turn, makes it an expensive way to proceed. 

Therefore, as of today, we don't have a fitting and affordable solution for your case as the only way to make it work is to have two full licenses on hands.

We'll think about such an option, if a better solution could be implemented. For the moment though, the path described above would be the only one to achieve your goal.

1 hour ago, iRadovsky said:

@3DC Support

So this function can be available in some reasonable time?

1709751911_Screenshot2021-07-29at18_20_50.thumb.png.a3834938426984ceeee3ecc26ce918de.png

Don't have an answer yet, to be honest. But we'll discuss internally if we could technically provide an option better than two separate licenses for simultaneous use. 

For the moment, for your own use, you can install one and the same license on two computers and run the program on both, but not simultaneously.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, 3DC Support said:

Don't have an answer yet, to be honest. But we'll discuss internally if we could technically provide an option better than two separate licenses for simultaneous use. 

For the moment, for your own use, you can install one and the same license on two computers and run the program on both, but not simultaneously.

Would be great to have this option - just for family! Thanks!

On 7/27/2021 at 9:09 AM, digman said:

Windows 2021.12

I did not mean to start a new topic so posting here as well.

Resampling in Surface mode creates a voxel triangulation method model. This is not good.

Years ago when switching from voxel mode to surface mode it kept the voxel triangulation method. This was discovered that it causes artifacts in surface mode sculpting . The issue was addressed to Andrew it was fixed. 

The same problem is created when resampling a model in surface mode.

The resampling in surface mode needs to keep the surface mode triangulation method.

I uploaded an image.

Surface mode:

Left side Surface mode triangulation method, Right side after resampling, Voxel triangulation method.

before after.JPG

Im getting the same issue in 2021, once I resample the mesh in surface mode it starts to be ruff and unpredictable.

Images: Standard large sphere surface mode, other is resampled up to 250k and the mesh looks and acts strange. Only occurs when hitting resample.

3DCOAT2021_Surface1.jpg

3DCOAT2021_Surface2.jpg

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic