3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member
On 8/1/2021 at 5:11 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Sharp edges over the curve tool are now correct, without self-intersections. Compare:

image.png

This seems like a really cool feature.!
Can you possibly make it used for custom spline models as well?

1428710555_bandicam2021-08-0213-21-55-694copy.thumb.jpg.9b33e697057e570b4e7762103097180e.jpg

If you adjust the Normal/Tangent scale values using a simple custom model, it will be a great curve tool that can create a wide variety of shapes :D

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2021 at 4:17 PM, Silas Merlin said:

2 : If you wish to bake light without environement, use "light from render room" instead of "BAKE_LIGHT_AND_REFLECTIONS"
(you could also still bake with reflections but disable the environement as source of light in the render room. Set up your own lights instead (not tested but should work)

I think that you may implied a parameter, Map Type of "Light Baking Tool"(below), I did not use this tool explisitly. In my understood, baking of reflection was implicitly done in a process of a smart material's.

> 3 : you have painted the object with a smart material, therefore now the shader you select in sculpt room has little to no effect. (if a shader uses a normal map this will still show at least)

At least I see that both of results, smart material and shader. I'd never felt any probs in this behavior in 4.x, how baking may or may not includes reflection of an environment should   confuse me in 2021.

But If only it was not the watermark that what's saw in reflection, I thought that was  cool new feature.

image.thumb.png.e8902f1c09dce2c0debd239827654e9e.png

It looks that translation of the coord system does not work for working with Blender(addon, Z-up).

There is a check box, "Z-up coord system", in import/export dialog. If I check this, the model shall be rotated in Blender.  It looks that's not only  rotate the coord system of 3d-coat but vertices.
 (If I don't check this, it looks good, only the pivot point away)
But the dialog wouldn't be always appeared -- In "Reference Mesh" mode, this dialog is not shown, and so the model still fell over the X-axis.

image.png.30cd49b855cb39c8a6b425ab95e016fb.png

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Yousung said:

This seems like a really cool feature.!
Can you possibly make it used for custom spline models as well?

1428710555_bandicam2021-08-0213-21-55-694copy.thumb.jpg.9b33e697057e570b4e7762103097180e.jpg

If you adjust the Normal/Tangent scale values using a simple custom model, it will be a great curve tool that can create a wide variety of shapes :D

Exactly!!! I was going to ask about this, personally, because this has been an issue when trying to create BEVELS  for hard surface objects. It can often leave self-intersecting messes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

- Offset problem principally fixed. But currently (at this build) at a cost that all rendered 1:1 in screen resolution without system scaling, so UI looks smaller. Probably you will need to set Large font for 4K monitors. Or use custom. Generally, I like how it looks on my 4K monitor, much sharper. This solution is still under the consideration.

The smaller UI is actually pretty uncomfortable at 4K. Even setting things to Large, it's still noticeably harder to work with than the last version. For those of us with glasses, I can see prolonged sessions becoming headache inducing.  On 32" (3840x2160), Large feels impractically small.

ATM, setting custom font seems to freeze on my system (i9 14-core, 64GB RAM, SSD, Win10, etc.). The only practical solution in this version is to override the High DPI settings in the EXE compatibility. 

Maybe you could provide an Extra Large setting that sets the scaling back to what it was. Alternatively, maybe you could just give us a slider or numerical entry box for custom UI scaling. This way, you can still have the 1:1 as a default, but give users of all vision types - including those with impaired vision - a fighting chance. :)

Edited by cookepuss

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, roentgen said:

At least I see that both of results, smart material and shader. I'd never felt any probs in this behavior in 4.x, how baking may or may not includes reflection of an environment should   confuse me in 2021.

Actually, "light from render room" is not necessary anymore, because you can achieve the same result by using "light and reflections" in flat shading mode (maybe that is a bug?).
Would that be less confusing ? I am not sure.

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

@Andrew Shpagin
video is here, the second one

7 minutes ago, Juan Carlos Montes said:

Hi, I found  two very annoying bugs, the color picker is not working if you chose a color and switch to fill tool for example is switching back to previous color. The second one is the fill, fill with erase is not erasing is just filling with color.

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Elemeno said:

anyone else got a slight lag when fast movement left to right its become unresponsive.. not sure if its my end or not but blender at 2 mil is a lot more responsive

3DC 2021.15 Mac

Another one like this- when working with brush fast (for example rapid or clay brushes) - first surface touch doesn't make any stroke, .. it start to work only from second or third touch

7 hours ago, sprayer said:

You can choose custom fonts and adjust size in dialog

Oh, I know. I even said as much. However, at the time of my post, it kept hanging for an eternity. Don't know why. However, a quick, clean reinstall seems to have fixed it. Still would be nice to have that Extra Large preset for those of us who prefer pre-2021.18 sizes and are too lazy to fiddle with fonts. Just a convenience of sorts.

• Advanced Member

@SERGYI Seems like strokes and pressure works in 2021.18, both WinTab and TabletPC. With TabletPC it's a bit laggy at very beginning of every stroke, though.

@Andrew Shpagin I have queston about brushes - is it normal that default brush alpha makes square(ish) strokes, even with falloff? In V4 it makes round, softer strokes, as it should, I guess.

• Like 1

2.08.21 2021.19

- Huge and Extra large font sizes included. For the better support of 4K displays. Fonts generation tuned to be able to generate almost unlimited size of fonts.
- UI tweaks to look good in case of high resolution.

- Bake light and reflections for sculpt objects.

- Renamed "TabletPC" into "WindowsInk" by user request.

- Fixed problem of the fill tool - if you pick color in other tool, switching to fill tool substitutes other color instead.

- Fixed problem when UI elements from the paint room appear in sculpt room (connectivity droplist).

-  Fill tool UI tweaked, fill with eraser works with "Layer button" correctly.

Still have several open issues, but this is what done for today. Test license updated as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello again. I want to write about one more issue. When I bake curvature map with inensity of smothed and simple curvature seted for around 400 some areas with cavity had bake as white color. Take a look at the third screenshot, here is the problem, here is blured and simple curvature intensity seted at 400. At the second screenshot I had baked curvature with 400 intensity on simple curvature and 0 at blured and everything is fine. And at the first one I had baked blured with 400 intensity and simple with 0 and all is fine too.
image.thumb.png.044cd5621d04d68d800247356f90932b.png
image.thumb.png.16db1333031c5ee04b6282198552b7c0.png
image.thumb.png.670f70cad2661c9f1db77749b742d5dd.png

32 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

2.08.21 2021.19

- Bake light and reflections for sculpt objects.

- Fixed problem of the fill tool - if you pick color in other tool, switching to fill tool substitutes other color instead.

Thanks for your work! Looks so nice.

I confirmed some issues of which I reported.
Below image, this is baked by smart material's ambient occlusion once, but now it doesn't have any reflection after changing shader. (2021.19)

I'm happy because now I don't need to wary about a volume may include an environment unintentionally.

cheers,

image.thumb.png.ce4f8b96ca60a5cc8788cb0f2a9970e7.png

• Advanced Member
On 7/31/2021 at 1:14 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Does it happen with both approaches - WinTab & TabletPC?

Is there lag with mouse?

And please turn off vertical synchronization in prefs and try again.

Thanks Andrew the Brush Strokes are much better and so is the painting experience. The brushes are responsive and smooth, the sensitivity is good too, you can actually place a dot on the 'i' as you writing quickly, something the brush stroke would just ignore before. 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

hello, 3D-coat 2021 is so good. thank you for your hard work.

this is not a technical issue. but it is important for Japanese people.

Japanese Language UI of new 3d-coat  is unnatural. probably it is automatic translation.

Japanese people are bothered by unnatural language.

dear translator of 3D-coat,

if possible,  I would like you to improvement that by your hand.

or, if there is not translator, please set up "Japanese translation discussion forum".

clean language is important for Japanese people.

(old version translation was splendid. )

most important thing is technical development of course.

but if possible,  please think on it.

thank you.

Edited by jene
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Weird artifacts in render mode when you chose render pass, depth with screen space reflections and screen space illumination on.

with version 2021.19 with the version .16 just crash 3d coat.

Edited by Juan Carlos Montes
  • Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic