3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

一般的に、それは依存するべきではありませんが...

古いドキュメントパスに日本語の文字が含まれていますか?

新しいデータパスには日本語の文字が含まれていますか?

At first, I found what seemed to be the cause.

The data folder of 3DCoat does not contain Japanese names, but the Japanese folder names of the files I used were recorded in UserPrefs/Preferences/Options.xml and OptionsAux.xml. This may be the cause.

After reverting the settings to the state where the display bug occurs, I deleted these two files and started 3DCoat, and the Joints tool now displays correctly.

• Advanced Member

Sorry I do not know if it need to send as bug report, but I can not select stable in retopo room when there is no sculpt volumes.:unknw:

I now try to generate new joint for pipes (non cap version), then I need to adjust some verts of the tube.

brush selection work, but with rectangle 3d coat ignore my rectangle with orthographic view.

is there setting which may work as stable ?  selection is key for modeling, so I really think it must be stable with each selection mode. 

select1.thumb.JPG.8124b55bd12971ea47a897d4ae315a3c.JPG

brushselect.thumb.JPG.4745ce4de99b3ed12955b7814c97ee8c.JPG

And with orthographic + project through not work for select back side vert, face, edges. it is really annoying ^^;

eg now I am in front or up view with projection, then simply select all top edges of tube (include back side and inner)

pselection.thumb.JPG.ea15a6d2063a855147f86ac225a26fa2.JPG

But 3d coat usually remain un-selected verts.. like this

nonselection.thumb.JPG.fc8c0e3f82067b62e6aee1c00635e9eb.JPG

everytime need to change view and confirm which verts will be selected is not good for any modeling tool.. I think stable selection with each mode is key thing to make new 3d coat more stable for modeling (and retopo)

And hope to know is there any setting, which can show each edge more vislble without selection ? (kind of real wire frame mode,,)   without sculpt model, I feel retopo room and modeling room is really difficult to get to see verts or edges clear untill I actually selected and higlh lighted.

I thiink 3d coat may need good shading mode for retopo room meshes, (though it will be send to texture room, or sculpt mesh will be painted by vertex color, but modeling room mesh have no way to clear see each verts,, without those other room model, I afraid. at least I need stable wire frame mode which may show all verts edges clear (for back hidden edges too)  .  

Edited by tokikake

Will baking shader force to put padding onto textures?

I want have any process won't put any padding because I want use alpha channel.

Then I tried texture editor to remove padding. However, in texture editor, eraser will be always smooth tool like as SHIFT modifier pressed despite no SHIFT key pressed. So I can't clean padding up.

image.thumb.png.fc2b54e29209c1769b0d10cbdc5fa50b.png

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Brush selection mode working for only visible faces.
For invisible faces may use rectangle mode.

Thanks I now try it, but the main problem was, the rectangle mode not work with retopo mesh (at least about the working scene mesh) it is the first pic you may notice I set brush as rectangle mode, then select >>  no verts selected of the mesh :(  

Then I suppose the reason was the face was inverted (normal) about the case rectangle mode can not select verts. (then 3d coat not offer any clear normal sigh (visible guide) for faces,  so I often need to flip normal.

And I test wiht rectangle mode for mesh (which correct normal of faces),  but it still not select back side vrerts with orthographic mode.

Can you test it with real 3b file which I attaced?  as you can see, I keep to set project through active, and not use symmetry . then with orthographic view, try to select with rectangle brush.

projectthrough.thumb.JPG.9d593e158a2bb71fa968b91a0a92cef9.JPG

rectangleselect.thumb.JPG.b7d5e53815c1ac34a7ecb837a1207e89.JPG

I really like new joint tool (and thanks you offer easy customize way for joint mesh, so now I can made new custome pipe sets,, ) but the selection issue is annoying

onesideonly.thumb.JPG.7ba607b85f30fc9faa706ba1b8018fae.JPG

and I really hope normal guide like this.. (I can not find such option which can show normal direction of retopo mesh)

normalsign.thumb.JPG.00cb85794d6f2f8ac12405f5658de312.JPG

testsceme.7z

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member
32 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

1. Project through has nothing to do with the selection

2. If you try to select with rectangle brush, you can select vertex also with just a single click

OK so project through not effect selection of back face .

then  how I can select both side vertex with orthographic mode by rectangle? as I said it only select one side verts. not select back side verts.

1. add any 2d symmetry primitive (cube etc),  set view as Front and orthographic projection

2. set brush as rectangle with Select tool.  

3.  draw rectangle. 

4.  3d coat only select front face verts not select back side verts of mesh. or I miss some option ? 

I may send mpeg movie if dev really need to confirm it. or I think there should be option which can exchange (select all or visible side only) with orthographic view.

Edited by tokikake

6 hours ago, Евгений said:

не работают инструменты перетаскивание точек и касательных векторов в паре

Хороший вопрос.
Нужно исправить это.

• Advanced Member

Small bug about primitive (for modeling room),  each primitive use different measurement unit so without user check and memorize, to generate size correctly with value, may confuse user who use those. 

eg If I generate sphere and set radius 1000 it generate this size.. (it seems count my unit setting = meter and scene unit or voxel per unit (I set it as 1000))

sphere.thumb.JPG.5e4b59afcaf1052fe788262b884f0fa4.JPG

if I generate cube and set size as 1,  it generate this size (it only count my  unit = meter setting)

cubeunit.thumb.JPG.cea73c1f333e9ce06fc24b15ddbbd945.JPG

Then which unit may used for those primitive setting value change by each primitive,, it  actually confuse me to set size correctly.. sometimes it come too large or too small with input same value.

(of course to generate each primitive I do not change any scene or unit or voxel count settinig, keep it as my default setting)

• Reputable Contributor

I'm trying to create series of little assets that are presented as a little scene (for people to take apart and rearrange or use only one or the other of the assets separately).

Now, if I create them separately in different .3b file all the way to the painted low-poly, it is difficult to reimport them in a single scene in 3d-Coat to scale/rotate/move.
3d-Coat doesnt make the scale/rotate/move too easy (tweak room or via retopo room), but still, it can be done.
Now what the problem is is that when you import a paint object, you have to load textures individually. Moreover, you can only import certain types of textures, the ones that are available from Textures menu>import, which may not comprise all possible workflows.

I am curently trying a workaround : I am sculpting everything in a single scene, or sculpting them separately, moving them to the models panel, and summoning the new ones in the final scene to organize them as sculpt object.
I plan to retopo/bake/paint them all later inside this one file, which will later make it easy to export all at once.
EDIT: The problem with that is that I am doing all the fun things (sculpting) first, and when I am done I will have to do all the boring stuff without being able to take a break doing fun things.

Now, I was thinking, what if 3d-Coat supported those .glb / .gltf formats, which contain both mesh and textures, it would make things much easier to exchange between software and between 3d-Coat projects, wouldn't it ?
Is there any chance that this may happen in the future ?

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 2

Hi,

Does anyone know what is happening here? Is it a bug? Apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

This is the "baked normals" of my mesh. This is the mouth of a human head where the effect is the worst but it is happening in varying degrees all over the mesh. It should be smooth. For example, look at the weird lines and squares around the lips which I feel should be smooth like in the sculpt room but can't make it so. Thanks for your help.

image.png.e5ef643f490ca2982fc8acf0649a690a.png

• Advanced Member

I have one question about importing textures.
Is there a way to keep areas outside the UVs when importing textures?

3DCoat blows all textures outside the UV area of the model when loading textures. :o

001.jpg.7cf2ac76b469fa5ba2c5d04e02cfb95f.jpg002.thumb.jpg.f19f5076fa6330ec23c02f47dcc2b031.jpg

Here is a model with the original texture and some UVs unfolded.
(Assets purchased from the Unity Asset store.)

They are efficiently placed to create various assets with one texture.

Import the model and textures into 3DCoat to edit the textures of this asset.

003.thumb.jpg.72e1c024b92e74e53be56ed195afbd5a.jpg
Then everything outside the UV area is blown away.

I want to work on some areas, but keep the original textures intact.

• Advanced Member

I think recent 2021.24 tweak about scene setting and scale things again. 

Because I import same obj as retopo mesh with use same setting. 

but now it change size drastically.  To confirm it, I launch 4.9.72 then set setting like this, and use same setting for 2021.24

settingtest.thumb.JPG.b2f65a6e3d620a21f10659b7a00e7c42.JPG

Then import same object file, as import retopo mesh, now it drastically change size between 2 version. (maybe new 2021.24 change something)

49.thumb.JPG.c9b5b3029c92d827a60a7dded551f818.JPG

2021.thumb.JPG.f85c52ed5dbddc2fb2df8930208ce128.JPG

I did not see issue about 2021.22  (it is version which I test those scale things, then it worked)

test please with this monkey obj.  simply import as retopo mesh then compare with those 2 version.(use same setting for scale)

grid setting is same. (so 1 unit length = 1 meter), it effect exported mesh scale tool. so now if I export mesh as 1 meter (at least in 3d coat 2021.24)

I got huge mesh in blender .  (only about this version exported mesh)

====

OK after I re-launch and do same test now import export show same size.. do not know reason though.

so when change scene setting first time, it not correctly up-dated? I actually get strange size mesh in blender when I first test with 2021.24

but now it seems return correctly.  

suxann.obj

Edited by tokikake

1 hour ago, Yousung said:

I have one question about importing textures.
Is there a way to keep areas outside the UVs when importing textures?

3DCoat blows all textures outside the UV area of the model when loading textures. :o

001.jpg.7cf2ac76b469fa5ba2c5d04e02cfb95f.jpg002.thumb.jpg.f19f5076fa6330ec23c02f47dcc2b031.jpg

Here is a model with the original texture and some UVs unfolded.
(Assets purchased from the Unity Asset store.)

They are efficiently placed to create various assets with one texture.

Import the model and textures into 3DCoat to edit the textures of this asset.

003.thumb.jpg.72e1c024b92e74e53be56ed195afbd5a.jpg
Then everything outside the UV area is blown away.

I want to work on some areas, but keep the original textures intact.

The only way to keep outside is Photoshop or similar. Magic wand with grey color+old texture on background.

• Reputable Contributor
3DCoat-2021-24
Sun Aug 8 21:47:20 2021
- Picker tool (that may be activated via the hotkey V) now works correctly over the sculpt layers. It also got additional functionality. First, yo may choose to pick the color from the screen always in the tool settings. Second, even if this option disabled, tap V second time over that same color and second tap will pick the color from the screen. The first tap takes the color from the layer if available.

I can't find the "tool settings" for the color picker. Where is that ?

Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor

Why does the Scrape tool not remember the "soft scrape" setting from one session to the next ?
-Untick "soft scrape"
-close 3d-Coat
-reopen : "soft scrape" is ticked on.....

settings that are not remembered are so annoying. Someone mentioned others but I'm not sure I remember, I think Cuda and related options ?

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:
3DCoat-2021-24
Sun Aug 8 21:47:20 2021
- Picker tool (that may be activated via the hotkey V) now works correctly over the sculpt layers. It also got additional functionality. First, yo may choose to pick the color from the screen always in the tool settings. Second, even if this option disabled, tap V second time over that same color and second tap will pick the color from the screen. The first tap takes the color from the layer if available.

I can't find the "tool settings" for the color picker. Where is that ?

Thanks.

It is in Paint room->Picker tool

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tokikake said:

I think recent 2021.24 tweak about scene setting and scale things again. 

Because I import same obj as retopo mesh with use same setting. 

but now it change size drastically.  To confirm it, I launch 4.9.72 then set setting like this, and use same setting for 2021.24

Then import same object file, as import retopo mesh, now it drastically change size between 2 version. (maybe new 2021.24 change something)

I did not see issue about 2021.22  (it is version which I test those scale things, then it worked)

test please with this monkey obj.  simply import as retopo mesh then compare with those 2 version.(use same setting for scale)

grid setting is same. (so 1 unit length = 1 meter), it effect exported mesh scale tool. so now if I export mesh as 1 meter (at least in 3d coat 2021.24)

I got huge mesh in blender .  (only about this version exported mesh)

====

OK after I re-launch and do same test now import export show same size.. do not know reason though.

so when change scene setting first time, it not correctly up-dated? I actually get strange size mesh in blender when I first test with 2021.24

but now it seems return correctly.  

suxann.obj

Please explain the sequence of commands. Because the object is really small. And in my tests, it works the same way in 4.9 and now. Maybe I do something differently.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic