3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

On 10/23/2021 at 4:51 AM, Silas Merlin said:

Now there is a workaround :
-create a temporary lowpoly in paint room
-do whatever you need a uv for
-do : Bake>take subdivided mesh to sculpt room
-reproject your pattern to the original sculpt.

EDIT :
BASICALLY, NOW, FOR EVERYTHING PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WANTING UV IN SCULPT ROOM, WE CAN DO IT NOW AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.

- Take a shirt

tshirt.jpg

- Isolate the parts you need to texture, UV it.

cut.jpg

- Import same mesh to sculpt room as surface (increasing resolution) and to paint room

- Create Smart Material with seamless texture, fill tiled with UV projection.

SM.jpg

- Bake > Take subdivided paint mesh into the sculpt room > FlatPatches > Vertex count 3M

Bake.jpgFlatPatches.jpg

- Re-project

reproject.jpg

• Thanks 1

The latest version uses a permanent license, the curve command loading curve shows only Spline and eps, uninstall the purchased license, install the forum trial version license, you can load Spline and igs, eps, what am I missing or there is a problem with the settings ?

646747555_AMCUB3UK(SSA1H97PW.png.3b07412af00323a77b5c09375c84ee34.png630682425_26C6B859PT8UYUDY4SW.png.02bd05f3856e5ff959e752d8f7038c8a.png

Newest version

Paint Room - Freeze tool,

Create a new scene select Paint a UV mapped mesh, select a sphere default settings, paint a freeze area.

Go to freeze menu select expand freeze area or try contract freeze area, neither of those give expected results, smooth does not work also.

Tested older versions of 3d Coat bug is there too. Found posts about it from 5 Years ago in the forum and bug was confirmed back then.

I've noticed this often, I find a bug in 3d Coat come to the forum and do a search and see it was reported literally years ago, confirmed and then never fixed.

How does that occur?

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, RetopoBro said:

Newest version

Paint Room - Freeze tool,

Create a new scene select Paint a UV mapped mesh, select a sphere default settings, paint a freeze area.

Go to freeze menu select expand freeze area or try contract freeze area, neither of those give expected results, smooth does not work also.

Tested older versions of 3d Coat bug is there too. Found posts about it from 5 Years ago in the forum and bug was confirmed back then.

I've noticed this often, I find a bug in 3d Coat come to the forum and do a search and see it was reported literally years ago, confirmed and then never fixed.

How does that occur?

doesn't bother you, during your steps after clicking on contract/expand, the freezing menu opens just on hovering without clicking on it again, this bug make me crazy

On 10/12/2021 at 11:50 AM, Allabulle said:

news on the Linux builds

Here is an update regarding "3DCoat 2021" for Linux. "3DCoat 2021.66" for Linux has been successfully compiled and linked under Ubuntu 20.04 on my desktop. But because there were a lot of changes recently there is a startup crash that is currently under investigation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Contributor
13 hours ago, SERGYI said:

Here is an update regarding "3DCoat 2021" for Linux. "3DCoat 2021.66" for Linux has been successfully compiled and linked under Ubuntu 20.04 on my desktop. But because there were a lot of changes recently there is a startup crash that is currently under investigation.

Thanks for the update, Sergyi.

Almost there, then. Great!

I figured it out how geometry painted when sculpting. When u try for example (move tool), in that moment when u release button, geometry painted. Maybe any suggestion how to erase color info? Who know script command, or anything how to erase even from one object? Its weary annoying, when you have 50+ objects. My system is Ryzen 3950x, ssd nvme for system disk and separate ssd for project. When i try to save file, saving time is 2+ minutes. Without color info 5 sec.

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
7 minutes ago, Nite said:

I figured it out how geometry painted when sculpting. When u try for example (move tool), in that moment when u release button, geometry painted. Maybe any suggestion how to erase color info? Who know script command, or anything how to erase even from one object? Its weary annoying, when you have 50+ objects. My system is Ryzen 3950x, ssd nvme for system disk and separate ssd for project. When i try to save file, saving time is 2+ minutes. Without color info 5 sec.

Right click the vox layer > to global space (or to uniform space) :
the volume will no longer be "painted", that is, all the sculpt layers information will be erased.

Sculpt layers (sculpt strokes stored on the active paint layer in the paint layers panel) work only in surface mode. They do not affect voxels, except in the case when you use a hybrid tool, that is a tool that is a surface (traditional mesh) tool, but is made to work also on a voxel volume. This is achieved by temporarily treating the volume as a surface mesh.
You can test this by changing the depth of the active paint layer while you are still using the move tool.
After using one such tool, once you select a pure voxel tool, the volume is no longer treated as surface. It reverts to voxels, however, the changes you made while temporarily in surface mode is falsely detected as being stored on a sculpt layer (falsely, because only actual painting survives after voxelization, it seems).

Move tool in your example is itself an exception : it can be either a pure voxel tool (not affecting sculpt layers), or a surface tool, depending on whether you tick "voxelize immediately" in the tool options.

Hopes this help understand the situation, if not get rid of the annoyance.

the volume will no longer be "painted", that is, all the sculpt layers information will be erased.

Thanks for this. Its works, but (to global space) make some change in geometry when use, (to uniform space) work better.

Sculpt layers (sculpt strokes stored on the active paint layer in the paint layers panel) work only in surface mode. They do not affect voxels, except in the case when you use a hybrid tool, that is a tool that is a surface (traditional mesh) tool, but is made to work also on a voxel volume. This is achieved by temporarily treating the volume as a surface mesh.
You can test this by changing the depth of the active paint layer while you are still using the move tool.
After using one such tool, once you select a pure voxel tool, the volume is no longer treated as surface. It reverts to voxels, however, the changes you made while temporarily in surface mode is falsely detected as being stored on a sculpt layer (falsely, because only actual painting survives after voxelization, it seems).

I know before, how hybrid tools work and know how voxels system works. But in the older version(like 4.3) it doesn't affect on vertex color. My suggestion, add toggle in preferences menu or in tool menu option off vertex color paint when sculpting or add in menu (Erase vertex color) for multiple objects(if only for one, its better then nothing).

Hopes this help understand the situation, if not get rid of the annoyance.

I know how its work. And annoyance doesn't disappear if this issue doesn't gone. If i knew where i can get info about (script commands for 3Dcoat). I will make my own script for this issue.

Edited by Nite

I checked in more detail (to global space) and (to uniform space).Conclusion it's doesn't works. They don't erase vertex color, just delete color marker in voxel tree.

• Reputable Contributor
4 minutes ago, Nite said:

I checked in more detail (to global space) and (to uniform space).Conclusion it's doesn't works. They don't erase vertex color, just delete color marker in voxel tree.

ok, then try this :
-click on V to turn to surface. when ask if you want to bake colour information, try one. (try the other later)
-
Once in surface mode, click on the S to return to voxel mode.
-delete the active paint layer in the paint layers panel.

See if this solves your issue. If not try again with the other option (baking or no baking color)

Hello.
It's possible that I'm not using it correctly, but in ModelinigRoom, when I try to connect points and select two points and select"Connect", nothing happens and I can't connect the points.
Has anyone else experienced the same problem?20211104021003.thumb.png.5db6adf9195c39d3025dd799b9816c66.png

9 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Edges can exist as part of faces only.

You can select two edges and use tool Bridge.

Hi Gorbatovsky.
actually, when I selected two points and "Connected" them, the points didn't connect to point-to-point.
The screenshot as an example was not good. Sorry about that.
By the way, edge-to-edge "bridging" was not a problem.

20211104115716.png

• Advanced Member

Renaming uv set not working

steps.

1 from popup menu - perform retopo - import reference mesh

2 in retopo import low poly mesh - bake normals

3 in paint room - message appears what you have the same name for UV sets and suggest to rename in Textures-Mesh and texture resolution.

4 rename - ok , names will be the same, message will never go away

Also if opens new mesh for paint and rename UV set in that dialog(Textures-Mesh and texture resolution) in paint room, the name in texture editor will not update until you switch room

The new version of the simple topology model has no problems in analyzing the topology, and the speed is relatively fast, but the slightly more complicated model is likely to cause the program to crash directly, and the software is closed directly. During the test, the crash caused the user interface settings to be directly restored to the initial state. There are points that cannot be solved during the test, which causes the software to remain unresponsive, as shown in the figure below27816879_.thumb.png.26d5657b3478aeb065df91ab976aa796.png

2 hours ago, Tubor said:

The new version of the simple topology model has no problems in analyzing the topology, and the speed is relatively fast, but the slightly more complicated model is likely to cause the program to crash directly, and the software is closed directly. During the test, the crash caused the user interface settings to be directly restored to the initial state. There are points that cannot be solved during the test, which causes the software to remain unresponsive, as shown in the figure below27816879_.thumb.png.26d5657b3478aeb065df91ab976aa796.png

please send me the mesh

• Advanced Member

I've tried to compare new autotopo with EXOSIDE quad remesher on this models

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/chess-fool-input-mesh-2306ca89b5034faea3ada01643bfcb5c

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/chess-rook-b7cf2ea41d22496882fcfa811f5f8b4c

and no luck for good results, from sculpt room autotopo selects all edges. Symmetry works a bit strange and no hardsurface for rook, after 5-10 attempts it crash.
The fool model is crash more often or no results at all

obj.zip

Edited by sprayer

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic