3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Reputable Contributor

Could 3d-Coat please remember the colours you choose for retopo islands ?
the new colours are so pastel, it is very hard on the eyes compared to the saturated colours of 4.9 which were very nice.

there is a cool button to choose your own colours, but they get reset every time you close 3d-Coat and reopen.

-----

Also, it is very annoying that each time you install a new version of 3d-Coat, the tool options panel is undocked from where you had it.

11 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

This is what I got:

image.png

settings:

image.png

Symmetry enabled as in the scene

Yes, when you set a small number of polygonal faces, it can be solved, but the time is much longer than before. When the number of polygons increases dozens of times, it still crashes or the program does not respond.

7 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Could 3d-Coat please remember the colours you choose for retopo islands ?
the new colours are so pastel, it is very hard on the eyes compared to the saturated colours of 4.9 which were very nice.

there is a cool button to choose your own colours, but they get reset every time you close 3d-Coat and reopen.

-----

Also, it is very annoying that each time you install a new version of 3d-Coat, the tool options panel is undocked from where you had it.

Are you installing via updater or complete installer?

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Are you installing via updater or complete installer?

It depends :
I use installer when it works.
other times like for .69 it just says "preparing" and does not install. in that case I use installer from this thread.

Always Tool options panel appears undocked at start up.

• Contributor

Open question to devs! if you have not thought about it much or care to engage with it right now that's understandable

Was wondering if you have made any thought about 3DCoat in context of technologies like USD,
https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/release/index.html 
or Nvidia Omniverse https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-omniverse-developer-resource-center

Something like "Send to omniverse" could be pretty cool, or getting things from Omniverse via USD

Update 70 seems to either takes an inordinately long time or flat out hangs with very simple AUTOPO - using defaults. "Creating approximate parametrisation" and "Rounding singular points" just sits there forever on even the simplest 60 second doodle. Seriously. Just doodle on a sphere for a few seconds and try to AUTOPO it. Not doable. The problem is less pronounced with symmetry turned off, but still VERY much an issue. AUTOPO feels nigh unusable in update 70.

My system is no slouch either. Win11. 64GB RAM. 18.5TB HDD. GeForce 1080ti 11GB.

Didn't have this problem, even on Win11, on older releases.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

V .70

When rendering a turntable mp4 video the video is not saved. (At least its not saved to the location it prompted me to save it to)

When clicking 'Texture of the environment Map' in the top right of the viewport a blank popup is shown.. (ie no environment maps)

• Reputable Contributor

I found yet another very useful use case for the new tool "take subdivided paint mesh to sculpt room".

Originally, the idea for the tool was that you could store 3d scan colour data directly on vertices to make it easier to clean a scan and bake it.

Because the tool was implemented in such a way as to bake not just colour but also metal/roughness/depth (not depth from normal map, sadly), the tool turned out to enable you to create a high poly from a PBR painted low poly. (which must be great for 3d printing). (you have to use catmull-clark subdivision for that because the patches methods will create a faceted high poly mimicking the original low polygons).
(you still have to find a way to convert the normal map to a depth layer for this to work, though)

Now, a third use case :
in the sculpt/retopo/paint workflow, it happens that you discover after painting that you made a mistake in the retopo mesh. for example a bad unwrap with a self intersecting island.
In the past, the only viable solution was just to fix the retopo, bake again, ...and paint again. (because  "update paint mesh" will fail with a new unwrap, and the textures baking tool is flawed and does not really let you bake all PBR maps).
Now, there is a new elegant solution, I think :
-
"take subdivided paint mesh to sculpt room" with enough vertices to hold all the painted pixels.
-delete paint mesh.
-create a duplicate of the original high poly and subdivide it to match the poly count of the painted version
-bake colour from visible volumes to transfer the paint from the subdivided mesh (you need to do this because the subdivided mesh does not have all the sculpted details, since the normal map does not get converted to displacement in the subdivided mesh).
-now, fix your retopo and bake again.

-> you no longer have to start over the painting after fixing the retopo.

(in truth this amounts to the same thing as doing all your painting on the high poly in the first place before baking, however doing that can be laggy and also takes a lot more disk space.
As far as I am concerned, this new workaround described above removes the need for painting on the high poly).

I do have suggestions for improvement of the tool :
-convert normal map data to displacement in the subdivided mesh
-change the behaviour of the patches method so as to make the resulting high poly as smooth as with the catmull-clark method).

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor
On 10/29/2021 at 7:35 PM, SERGYI said:

Here is an update regarding "3DCoat 2021" for Linux. "3DCoat 2021.66" for Linux has been successfully compiled and linked under Ubuntu 20.04 on my desktop. But because there were a lot of changes recently there is a startup crash that is currently under investigation.

How is that investigation going? Any progress yet?

I'm so eager to start using 3DCoat 2021. Due to some critical bugs still present in 2021.31 that affect my workflow I have almost no use for 3DCoat. I know things take time to get solved, but since it's been a while... :-)

• Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

poeboi was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

1. (BUG or intended?) Pose-tool, manual transform gizmo now re-positions to 'center' of pose area after a gizmoless transform

Expected behavior from previous builds is that the gizmo stays in place after a gizmoless transform

Current behavior in build is very undesirable (for me) because oftentimes I want to reposition the origin of pose tool transform first, then perform several gizmoless transforms like screen-based rotate, scale, etc. from the origin I set with gizmo, expecting that it will stay in place each operation

But the gizmo must be put back into place constantly

2. (Feedback/suggestion) Gizmoless transforms

Would be very handy if, when one has the "Move Only Gizmo" option *on*, and uses gizmoless transforms — that one manipulates the Gizmo itself using gizmoless transforms, like move in screen space, move in z/y/x direction! For quick placement of gizmo, so it can be origin of a scale/rotate transform

Scale in right/left, up/down screenspace would be a welcome option as well for gizmoless transforms

3. (Feedback/suggestion) Snake tool (with or without spline models)

Currently one has a very handy possibility of extruding a model from spline/model panel and controlling it's contour with pressure profile
1. use "on plane" mode
2. draw a curve
3. make sure radius + depth is set to use pressure curve and not mouse click
4. edit the pressure profile of, spline or curve
5. use "draw along curve" tool with plane enabled, disable "one segment"

(Apologies for length of these two next clips, there were some intermediary steps)

(Takes a little while to do it's job but completely negligible in my opinion)

However this only works so as long as one is constrained to "on plane", which is okay, I'm thankful the possibility is there to start

Feedback/suggestion: This would be extra great if it worked somehow with just the curve, and not "on plane" too, simply by using stroke along curve!
Currently, it constrains to nearest surface, or it draws nothing

Another potential remedy would be including something like pressure profile control parameter for the "bend along curve" tool, then that could do the same job

Thank you for frequent builds and great work and as always, your time and any consideration

• Thanks 3

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

We will be grateful for your suggestions for the modeling room.

would love too....

the select tool isnt needed, select and transform should be default constantly.. every time you click off the mesh after using extrude etc the tool should defauly back to select and transform, the transform gizmo should only have axis no a scale or rotation tool,

hotkeys applied to tool should make more sense, E instead of tool options should be extrude and then a menu for the extrusion, extrude should default as normaly extrude but can be over riden with the  gizmo axis,

transform movement should have a hotkey using g then zxy for the axis or use the gizmo.

scaling should have the hotkey S applied and again allow S+(zxy) s defauly should scale inwards into the face(s) slected

rotation hotkey being R allowing R+(ZXY) dependsing on the axis of rotation , R by default should rotate based on the viewpoints angle

all surface tools that use curves to generate should be in one category

splitting faces or edges should be hotkey crtl+r and based on face angle first and then using the mouse movement placement , the split shouldnt pass over the face youve decided to split

just some examples would serious speed up simple modelling to get a shape into sculpt room and add details,

alot of us i presume as used to maya,max,blender etc and these are quite universal methods and would help alot of us use the modellong tools.

i know this sounds like im asking you to basically copy what other modelling programs use or how they do things but thats because alot of these things have been years in the works and they work.. they make sense and they help with workflow so much

• Confused 1

• Advanced Member
19 hours ago, sprayer said:

@Elemeno you just replicating blender hotkey why you think it's perfect solution for all users? 3dcoat is not blender! blender is not perfect software it also have many cons, and only one pros it's free

its an example... just some things that can speed up using the tools.. current modelling tools just take too much time

• Contributor
On 11/11/2021 at 7:36 PM, poeboi said:

1. (BUG or intended?) Pose-tool, manual transform gizmo now re-positions to 'center' of pose area after a gizmoless transform

Expected behavior from previous builds is that the gizmo stays in place after a gizmoless transform

Current behavior in build is very undesirable (for me) because oftentimes I want to reposition the origin of pose tool transform first, then perform several gizmoless transforms like screen-based rotate, scale, etc. from the origin I set with gizmo, expecting that it will stay in place each operation

But the gizmo must be put back into place constantly

Hello, I have an UPDATE on this (still 2021.70)

Ok, turns out this behavior (gizmo always re-centers) only happens when the brush mode is set to a mode such as rectangle, while with dotted strokes or brush it stays in position where it was placed (like how I wanted).

I checked some builds back and it turns out this has been the case for several builds, so I was mistaken that this was a recent change.

Edited by poeboi
detail
  • Thanks 2

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic