3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

И еще , по поводу карт Hdri их и так  можно подгрузить , дело  даже не в них  , а в  стандартных pbr шейдерах в которых нет  реализации реального отображения масс и текстур кожи  .  Zbrush , как конкурент все таки не только в том , что может тигать кучу полигонов , но и в в реальном отображении шейдеров .! .. Да сейчас скульптинг в 3D-Coat отличный в плане всего , есть конечно баги , но уже я считаю остались мелочи в плане доработки  , но шейдеры нет ,  с такими   умолчанию шейдерами  , не достигнуть отличного результата .! Еще я не понимаю , почему вы не пытаетесь и не пробуете выйти на другой рынок , это CAM . У вас уже все есть .... Полная программа для создания 3D моделирования  и скульптинга , ваш модуль 3D принтер абсолютно бесхозный  вариант . Я вам говорю , как конструктор технолог программист CAM ... А вот если введете CAM модуль обработки , то сразу появится много заинтересованных в сфере , Деревообработка ,.. Ювелиры,..Стоматология,... . Тем более  из ходя из того , что Autodesk , лишил многих  основной программы ArtCam . Это сугубо мое мнение . Поверти это громадный рынок , в нынешнее время ... 

Edited by Евгений

• Reputable Contributor
17 hours ago, gbball said:

@Andrew Shpagin Good change with the default IBL.  Also glad to hear of Jama's involvement/consultation.

With the shader advancements your making, any chance of getting some kind of better looking post process effect on the cavity setting to make them look smoother?

Also, has the voxel smooth seen a performance enhancement?  I didn't notice anything, but just checking if it's been done.  Or maybe planned for.

Thanks!

Voxel Smoothing is definitely faster, now, after the new tech Andrew implemented.

• Like 1

Found strange behaviour with paint room smudge tool in 2021 (including update .88).

Very quick brush strokes seem to mostly work as expected (i.e. correct direction).

Slow/medium brush strokes often smudge in the wrong direction or don't do anything or distort weirdly.

Some other factors also change behaviour incorrectly (like position on model or steady-stroke being on), but brush speed seems the main error criteria.

Note: This is just with Smudge selected in the smudge tool options, not Pinch or Expand.

smudge tool bug_description2.png

• Thanks 1

Hi,
-It seems like in the more recent versions of 3d coat the lighting with "cast shadows" option is more flat, and the cast shadows themselves are really weak. Not sure if something changed or I broke something on my end. (I am on v.88.)

image.thumb.png.e6c365e3f8c54234ff2ecfa6fded7c3f.png

Looks like the light is somewhere at the bottom/ to the side? I tried rotating on the one available axis and swapping environments, maxing out the contrast, but that didn't help.

//Something that I have always wanted was actually to be able to freely rotate/edit/create the lights/shadows for the sculpt room and the render room...Hopefully this can be possible some day.

-Also, I am experiencing a much weaker Smoothing effect while using shift+voxel brushes after Cuda smooth boost disappeared. Even at 100% it feels to be at a fraction of the original strength. (Smooth brush in the clay/draw brushes is actually stronger now.) Any chance to get a stronger smooth for voxel brushes back?

• Contributor

Hello @AndrewShpagin, @SERGYI

In 3D Coat versions prior to 2021, to point the program to another configuration directory, we could set an environment variable named COAT_FILES_PATH. This wasn't optimal, but it worked.

Now it seems that in 3D Coat 2021, this variable is no longer respected. Despite its existence, the program keeps on creating config paths in $HOME/Documents/3DCoat-2021 and also, probably because of some legacy reasons(?), in $HOME/Documents/3D-CoatV4. Obviously, I don't want this to happen. I don't even have Documents directory in my $HOME path. I have doc. ;)

So, how can we change the config location in 3DC 2021?.

Having configuration files in Documents on GNU/Linux feels very awkward. They should be placed either in a dot directory inside $HOME (like ~/.3dcoat for instance) or, ideally, in paths indicated by FreeDesktop's XDG Base Directory specification.

The second issue I have, is with file duplicates.

I found 295 duplicate files under different names inside the installation path (unpacked from tar.bz2 archive). Please consider using relative symlinks for those files, as this could slim down the unpacked archive size by about 480 MB.

Additionally, many non-config files from the installation path (textures, icons, shaders, etc.) are copied to configuration path at the first start of the program (if config path doesn't exist). This creates even more duplicates of files which, after all, are already accessible by the program. On a clean install, that's additional 180 MB of wasted disk space. Is this really necessary? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pointless to create a copy of something that wasn't modified yet and is still at its defaults.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor
  1. Show/Hide Reference Images.
  2. With file chooser dive inside a directory containing images.

3D Coat crashes without output to stdout.

It won't crash on all directories though. For example, with a blank new config, it won't crash on UserPrefs/UserScenes, which contain two jpg files (images generated by 3D coat while saving scenes) but it will upon entering UserPrefs/SmartMaterials.

Debian Bookworm.

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

Annoying bug introduced somwhere on versions .81-88.   If you move volume by gizmoless hotkey, and then undo it, your previous brush gets unselected and more, if you select any volume in this state  with H key - it will switch  to surface without asking. Same happens with pose undo

• Thanks 1

@Arvart Hi 

Yes, this bug was solved on version 84 and above, please test it. Tkx

3DCoat-2021-84 

Sat Jan 1 23:25:41 2022 +0200

- Fixed problem when voxel object modified as surface and you switch to another volume or merge another object into the modified one.

• Contributor
16 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

@Arvart Hi 

Yes, this bug was solved on version 84 and above, please test it. Tkx

3DCoat-2021-84 

Sat Jan 1 23:25:41 2022 +0200

- Fixed problem when voxel object modified as surface and you switch to another volume or merge another object into the modified one.

Edit: nevermind.

Edited by Allabulle

• Advanced Member

No Polys draw + Crashes :-

2021.88 In the Modelling Room, make sure Ortho view is on.

1. Choose Points to Polys.

2. Select >On Plane and choose an axis X,Y,Z from the on plane dialogue and a corresponding view (Left, Top, Front)

3. Place 4 Points and try to create a poly from the points.

It does not want to make the polygon. I tried different views and axis and only managed to draw 1 polygon. I had a total of 4 crashes before I managed to record this video.

Anyone else confirm?

Edited by insignet

• Advanced Member

@Carlosan - yes you are right. Any points dropped while the 'on plane' option is checked seemed to get ignored. By turning it off and dropping the points it works as expected. I would have thought though that this is a bug? The on plane feature is really useful? The on plane UI element ( the red square ) should IMO change colour based on the axis you are selecting from the dialogue. Then you get that visual feedback of which plane you are dropping the points. The points ( while the on plane option is checked ) should be recognised as valid points to generate a polygon. You should not have to turn off 'on plane' for this to work... these are additional clicks... btw... I'm trying to look at this from a beginner point of view.

Anyway - thanks for pointing that out :)

Edited by insignet
  • Confused 1

• Reputable Contributor

I am showing this issue with the Extruder tool but really it exists to some degree in many other tools :

When you hold CTRL and draw a stroke with a lot of pressure, 3D coat will cut a disc all around the alpha.

I am using the third default alpha.

When digging into a plane it won't do this, because this flat disc seems to be just behind the surface.
It will happen when there are "walls" around the stroke. In short, when you are repeatedly digging into a volume.

It is very annoying and disrupting.

------

Now there is another problem with high pressure. when the pressure is very strong, a stroke will produce blocky, pixelated voxels.
Also very annoying and disruptive.
This happens both holding CTRL and not holding it.
here is with Extruder, holding CTRL :

image.thumb.png.467043e1d6f25576a161b9f6b2b9666b.png

and here with Grow tool without holding CTRL :

image.thumb.png.80da074d8adead2d78d92aa861974236.png

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

I'm not really too familiar with the absolute brush but it acts weird when the brush size is small?? 

Also 3DCoat started to use more GPU when sculpting. Is that normal or did I click something by mistake?

3dcb01.jpg

Edited by Koray

• Contributor

I noticed that gizmoless transforms also work in the Tweak room now, don't know since when just wanted to say thanks for providing that room with some love too:thank_you:

There's something about the Tweak room, for quad basemeshes it just works very reliable, smooth and fast for what it is. I hope it won't be deprecated/you give up on it!

While on the topic, an ability to ghost volumes in Tweak room would be great, but it's understandable if  you don't want to divide focus on something like that now.

• Advanced Member

As I can't seem to post a topic in the Feature Requests section, I hope you won't mind me posting it here?

I would LOVE to see an infinite option for the Move tool, causing you to use the Move tool with infinite influence in the screen depth direction. This is great for manipulating object silhouettes, among other uses.

Many thanks in advance for considering this.

• Reputable Contributor

About Move tool.

ever since I saw what topological move does, I have been wondering if it would be possible to do something that in my view would be even more awesome and useful :
what if move tool ignored areas that are connected but distant surface-wise.
for example you grab a leg. the other leg is within area of the brush, but it gets ignored because it is on the other side of the volume, so to speak. (connected via the hips).

Usually you would do this with
pose tool, which would allow for rotation, of course, but, what if you just want to move something quickly. it is a bit cumbersome to have to do a pose selection for something simple.

-----

Speaking of pose tool, it would be really useful to get the old "pick pivot" button back for pose tool and Transform tool. This is greatly missed.

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 2

Hi Andrew, thank you for looking into the issue of strange geometry when using symmetry with Autopo. I've done a bunch more testing of Autopo and I've noticed a few things.

If you start a new voxel sculpt, choose the large sphere, then use Autopo with a 400 poly count (without turning on symmetry) - there will be duplicate vertices over the mesh that line up with the vertices along all three axes. 

sphere_with_issues_on_all_three_axis.thumb.jpg.39274223b2b6cfe0c2b79657548e8506.jpg

If I create a sphere and use symmetry, then the duplicate vertices are only along the axis of symmetry. If I create a sphere and use symmetry along two axes (x,z) then there will be duplicates along both axes.

I also discovered that if you use the Select tool in the Retopo room, pick vertices then click the delete this layer in the Poly Groups window it will crash 3D Coat. This doesn't happen if you select edges or faces.

will_crash_3DC_screenshot.thumb.jpg.11b8e6bd7afaeb2442fd4ca220fef6b5.jpg

autopo_settings.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

With this rate of upgrades Andrew will reach version 2022.0 next week or so probably :D

My sincere question is; are we going to have to pay for upgrading to 3DCoat 2022?

(You all probably can guess why I'm asking :) )

Edited by Koray
version mistake :D

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic