3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

2 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Actually, the Select tool is not really a TOOL, but more of a MODE. 

Yap,
But the entire room is a MODE, for that goal. The select tool/mode is like an unneeded additional layer between my object and me. another click that is unnecessary. because we select a lot in the process of modeling, this one click is actually meaningful in a bad way. 

And thank you for reading all my suggestion. i wrote an entire page about many more core suggestions for the UX of the modeling room. i am very excited about the development of that room. 

Edited by Just a user

-Sometimes deleting sculpt meshes in the paint room to make the scene lighter when having finished baking, makes the scene corrupt as the vox tree is empty and can no longer have a new layer created, adding a new primitive to try to create a new sculpt layer crashes Coat. But on reloading the scene I managed to add a layer by clicking the the + next to VoxTree.

-When freezing transparent pixels (to do like photoshop "Lock Transparecy"), and then "unfreezing all", the paint objects gets unfrozen normally (the walking ants hatched thing disaprears) but if you unhide the sculpt objetcs, they are all red.
image.png.ad0ea601433b9f5005bad5c797a71845.png
It feels like a bug when it arrives because you expect Freeze to look the same for paint and sculpt obejcts, not either marching ants, either red (why not dark grey as it's the convention in Zbrush, Blender, for masking, and even in Coat, masking is grey, why is freeze not the same, or are they two different things ?)
And Freeze does freeze the hidden sculpt objects, but unfreeze does not unfreeze hidden sculpt objects.

-When using the Flatten tool in paint room (Iron icon), sometimes it corrupts the depth in the layer, and nothing can get done to remove these artifacts, apart from deleting the layer. When looking at the layers in photoshop the "holes" are not present in the normal, but when exporting the textures, normals and displacment textures have this corruption/hole:
image.png.89f08f98fdefde889a8c698ceb250364.pngimage.png.bb21836b0348bbb21dd06478b8b6db27.png

• Contributor

Thank you for the new build! It always make me really happy and exited to see.

'Use environment variable "COAT_USER_PATH" to get rid of extra folders inside your "HOME/Documents" 

Could you give us a little more information, which ones can be deleted, and which are important as example for Applink? (How is it ment)

All the best!!

• Contributor

Thanks for the release!

As Ctc_nick says, the ability to move arbitrarily the user path is most welcome.

By the way, in the store account, the last Linux build available is still 3DCoat-2022.11 although if you go to https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/links-Linux.html you'll find 3DCoat-2022.16 build ready to download. So all is well. Maybe the admins can correct or update the links in the Store Account to avoid any possible confusion for Linux users.

Thanks again, and please stay safe and strong.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Posted a message about the 3D Coat 2022 release at the Blender Artists forum.

By the way, is the new alpha pack also available as a separate download for 3D Coat users who have already installed 2022?

Edited by Metin Seven

• Advanced Member

Hi, first I congratulate the whole 3Dcoat team for their work, 2022 version is amazing.
I don't know if this is the correct exact section to report problems, sorry.

I am trying 3DCoat 2022.16, trial, and I am experiencing an issue that makes it very difficult to use it, also on others old 2022 release.

The problem is that I cannot move and zoom the mesh in space, while I can rotate it (I mean, navigation).

This happens when I use some brushes and functions and not others. For example with voxel hide, clay draw with add spline curve on. Perhaps it is a problem that only affects the curves. Maybe it also affects many other brushes, I dont try all. For opposite example the default clay voxel brush without any curve spline doesn't generate that problem.
I use a combination of custom navigation as similar as possible to Blender, with pen tablet (I take advantage of it to say that it would be nice to have Blender navigation in the preset settings navigation, near to Maya, XSI ecc).
The Blender navigation combination I use is: ctrl + shift + left click = pan; left click + alt = rotate camera; alt + ctrl + left click = zoom.
The problem occurs on my Windows 7 computer, 6 giga ram.
This problem does not occur with the 3DCoat 2021 version and others that I have tried in the past.

• Advanced Member
22 minutes ago, rubeos said:

Hi, first I congratulate the whole 3Dcoat team for their work, 2022 version is amazing.
I don't know if this is the correct exact section to report problems, sorry.

I am trying 3DCoat 2022.16, trial, and I am experiencing an issue that makes it very difficult to use it, also on others old 2022 release.

The problem is that I cannot move and zoom the mesh in space, while I can rotate it (I mean, navigation).

This happens when I use some brushes and functions and not others. For example with voxel hide, clay draw with add spline curve on. Perhaps it is a problem that only affects the curves. Maybe it also affects many other brushes, I dont try all. For opposite example the default clay voxel brush without any curve spline doesn't generate that problem.
I use a combination of custom navigation as similar as possible to Blender, with pen tablet (I take advantage of it to say that it would be nice to have Blender navigation in the preset settings navigation, near to Maya, XSI ecc).
The Blender navigation combination I use is: ctrl + shift + left click = pan; left click + alt = rotate camera; alt + ctrl + left click = zoom.
The problem occurs on my Windows 7 computer, 6 giga ram.
This problem does not occur with the 3DCoat 2021 version and others that I have tried in the past.

With some tools you might need to also hold alt with the other buttons you mentioned for navigation.  That’s how it works with the default navigation style.

• Advanced Member

Thank you;) I would like to keep blender navigation if possible...with tablet is very useful. In my navigation combination Alt key I need it to rotate the view, I can't use it to do anything else.
Could it be a bug? In a 2021 release there is no such problem.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, rubeos said:

Thank you;) I would like to keep blender navigation if possible...with tablet is very useful. In my navigation combination Alt key I need it to rotate the view, I can't use it to do anything else.
Could it be a bug? In a 2021 release there is no such problem.

It might be a bug or an edge case that wasn't accounted for.  Have you considered mapping your 2nd stylus button to MMB and then using Blender style CTRL + MMB for zoom, SHIFT + MMB for Pan and MMB alone for rotation?  That seems like it could work because there are no conflicts with the alt button.

• Advanced Member

Thank you...I'm trying, but changing the button on the stylus means changing heavily all the gestures I'm used to. But maybe you said it correctly: there is a conflict on the alt key. I'm trying to move the Alt key functions to the Windows key, which is there next to Alt, but I can't, or better, work very bad. Hope Andrew reads this.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, rubeos said:

Thank you...I'm trying, but changing the button on the stylus means changing heavily all the gestures I'm used to. But maybe you said it correctly: there is a conflict on the alt key. I'm trying to move the Alt key functions to the Windows key, which is there next to Alt, but I can't, or better, work very bad. Hope Andrew reads this.

i have alt key on my tablet...

works fine.. i might just not be getting what you mean

• Advanced Member

I use a stylus/tablet (bamboo tablet wacom) instead mouse.
Alt key is on keyboard.

In summary, when I activate the spline curves on the brushes, and sometimes even not, the zoom and pan/move in the space functions are blocked. I did other tests, with the Maya preset and 3DCoat everything works.

P.S. why is blender navigation objectively better, in my opinion? because center and right clicks are not used for navigation, an inconvenient thing to do on a pen (because it is not very natural to press those small keys on the pen with the thumb) and once you are used to it, navigation is much more fluid than other combinations....less click.

Edited by rubeos

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, blackant Master said:

Hi,

I really get bad performances in the retopo room wince version 2022.

i made a short video :

I think it likely has something to do with the reference mesh in the scene, or some xml file got corrupted, because I just tested on the human primitive from the splash screen (Surface/Voxel Sculpting) and it appears to work properly. Perhaps try these few things to see if it helps.

1) Rename (temporarily) the My Documents/3DCoat directory. This will force 3DCoat to generate a new one from scratch

2) import the mesh object into the Sculpt Workspace rather than using a REFERENCE mesh (Paint Object). 3DCoat should remove the old legacy Reference mesh option, because overall performance with it is quite slow compared to Sculpt Objects.

• Advanced Member
26 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I think it likely has something to do with the reference mesh in the scene, or some xml file got corrupted, because I just tested on the human primitive from the splash screen (Surface/Voxel Sculpting) and it appears to work properly. Perhaps try these few things to see if it helps.

1) Rename (temporarily) the My Documents/3DCoat directory. This will force 3DCoat to generate a new one from scratch

2) import the mesh object into the Sculpt Workspace rather than using a REFERENCE mesh (Paint Object). 3DCoat should remove the old legacy Reference mesh option, because overall performance with it is quite slow compared to Sculpt Objects.

I'll give it a try, 
I have always been using reference import for my retopo works and never been annoyed by poor fps in the old versions...  

Anyway, I just discovered another problem

• Advanced Member

Strange split parts behaviour in 2022.16 when:

1. painting with depth on a sculpt mesh in the Paint room
  2. merging the layers
  3. going to the Sculpt room
  4. using Shift to smooth

image.thumb.png.4e2e5c3eb837e650a3c24021d4ba0fef.png

Edited by Metin Seven
Added 3DC version
  • Thanks 1

After Updating 3DCoat from 2022.10 to 2022.16 one of my working files seems to be corrupted. I got instant crashes if I am using essential things like symmetrical copy and converting a Surface mesh into voxel mode. The bad thing is I got no automatic bug reports. 

That forces me to go back to 2022.10. With a clean new File, these problems do not happen. 

I don't know if these Infos help but I wanted to tell you. 

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 4/4/2022 at 4:09 PM, blackant Master said:

I'll give it a try, 
I have always been using reference import for my retopo works and never been annoyed by poor fps in the old versions...  

Anyway, I just discovered another problem

Confirmed, this is a repeatable bug, and reported to Andrew.

• Thanks 1

In the latest version, 2022.17, and a number of versions before, exporting from the sculpt room with Export Selected Object as LWO doesn't work. It saves a file but the file is only 20 bytes and only gives an error in LightWave.

Saving as OBJ is also broken. I get an 88 byte file, which loads in LightWave but it's empty, no polygons.

Edit: Same thing with STL. Exporting the scene works but the scale was off.

2 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

In the latest version, 2022.17, and a number of versions before, exporting from the sculpt room with Export Selected Object as LWO doesn't work. It saves a file but the file is only 20 bytes and only gives an error in LightWave.

Saving as OBJ is also broken. I get an 88 byte file, which loads in LightWave but it's empty, no polygons.

Edit: Same thing with STL. Exporting the scene works but the scale was off.

Something is wrong on your end, I just tested using 3dcoat 2022.17 and exported selected object from sculpt room as LWO and OBJ and it works fine importing into 3ds max for the obj and back into 3dcoat for the LWO and OBJ

• Advanced Member

Can I move the global ENTER command (it applies to any 3Dcoat tool..included Ctrl function for inverse operation) to another key on the keyboard?

I think that in 3DCoat you make intensive use of this command, from the keyboard or from the tool options window....so, not by mouse/pen click, most of the time and tools.

Because I hold the stylus in my right hand, it would be very useful for me to have the Enter key on the left of the keyboard, for example on the letter A..to never move the hand holding the pen on the tablet surface. Much faster for me.

Edited by rubeos
  • Like 1

-on 2022.16 but was on previous version as-well, around 50% of the time the panels refuses to get resized, sometimes even stranger behaviour happens where they change size on their own to push another panel. Here is just refuses to get resized:

coat_01.thumb.gif.39358becdee0a2ccb53e03a06ff4910b.gif

-Something a bit annoying is the tool presets re-ordering themselves on their own randomly, maybe it only happen when re-lauching Coat or after a crash, but it doesn't seem logical like an alphabetical re-order, I slide them where I want them, and then at some point the last few I re-orderd will always be either at the top, or in the middle, or somewhere else ect...

-in 2022.16, (updating from 2021 or 2022.5 not sure) some of my tool  preset were altered, they were basically not working anymore, like the alpha was changed, so i remade them, but the new alpha I created disappears from the preview, but it still works somehow. Would be really nice to be sure our tool preset will not break on update. (I had to remake all my tools from V4 that refused to work not sure why.)
image.png.ed9e1d49e8780aa40652b7eeec35a1cf.png

-Something really amazing is that I installed 2022.16, and all my space mouse configuration just kept working, unlike usually, I guess because Coat 2022 was installed on top of itself/coat 2021, so 3DConnexion recognize it as the same software unlike before.
Will just have to delete again all the default brush alphas that looks very outdated, but will try to preserve the new ones that seems nice !
Thanks!

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic