3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

-I just checked and baking seems still to only work if we select the "Brush" tool (maybe otehrs too), but if a random tool is active/selected when baking, painting the cage bugs, like if the select tool is active, then painting the cage actually selects faces ect.. kinda like the bug where menus where "transparent" and clicking on a menu was actually clikcing on the mesh behind, cutting seams on it for example ect...

-Would be nice to be able to edit the cage before baking, it's theoretically possible by clicking "baking scan settings" but all the work done here (that can be done with symmetry which is important, unlike when baking as then it would bake with symmetry and break the created paint objects.) all this cage work seems to be deleted/reset once you click bake, and have the bake scan settings appear again, but without and the edit on the cage you just made.

-yup another case of tool preset breaking when updating Coat, the alpha in this case is actually visible on the tool preset, but it's the default round alpha that is selected in Brush panel, and that is used in 3d, although the correct alphas that's visible in the tool preset is still there in Coat in a folder I made, Coat just lost the connection to it on the tool preset when updating it seems.
image.png.34783c507ff399511085dac5a7a74c09.pngimage.png.9715ea117f869ab4c39a8ae474cbd9fc.png

-Something quite counter intuitive is that the Brush Option Panel, affects each Brush, so every time you change your alpha on a tool, it reset the whole Brush settings.
But the conventional approach would be that you set your tool, like Depth streght/modulator, jitter position/opacity ect.. and then you can select an alpha, or another one ect..
Like you do a skin Tool that jitters or paint a skin pore texture, and then you change to your 4-5 different skin pores alphas with this tool.
But currently if you click on another alpha it resets to default the whole Brush Option Panel.
Brushes should be nameds Alphas, because they are not Brushes like in photoshop (Brush= Alpha+tool settings in photoshop, here in Coat a brush is just an alpha, which is nice you can change alpha on the fly while keeping your tool)
Brush should not exist as a term in Coat, we should just have Tool (default), Tool Presets (the one you create with proper settings and alpha) and Alphas.
From my perspective anyway, it's just that I can't comfortably switch alpha as it resets the options.

• Like 1

A very small issue, but when exporting object/textures, the file explorer for the object is all good, but the one for texture is a very slow/unpractical to navigate popup, instead of the windows file explorer where we can paste a directory address like for the object export path.
image.thumb.png.a4c519a7fe393ffffc1dcc0628841159.png

• Advanced Member
On 4/4/2022 at 8:58 AM, rubeos said:

I use a stylus/tablet (bamboo tablet wacom) instead mouse.
Alt key is on keyboard.

In summary, when I activate the spline curves on the brushes, and sometimes even not, the zoom and pan/move in the space functions are blocked. I did other tests, with the Maya preset and 3DCoat everything works.

P.S. why is blender navigation objectively better, in my opinion? because center and right clicks are not used for navigation, an inconvenient thing to do on a pen (because it is not very natural to press those small keys on the pen with the thumb) and once you are used to it, navigation is much more fluid than other combinations....less click.

If it can be useful to anyone. I partially solved the problem by activating '' simultaneous '' in setup navigation for '' scale or move '' and '' move in screen space ''. But it is not the ultimate solution, however always better than before.
Strangely, sometimes the navigation returns to normal (changing brushes or tools), as if I hadn't activated '' simoultaneous ''.

• Thanks 1

The main bottleneck in 3d coat is the mesh import limitations.
I still can't import large meshes in ths sculpt room - more than 12 millions polys without having a out of memory error.
I've got 64 go of ram, and tried all the possible file formats  : Obj, Stl, Ply. I even tried to use the 3dcoat bridge in Blender to transfert my mesh, without success.

Guys what do you all think of a checkbox option to auto-delete hidden mesh when Voxelize Hidden is performed? Should be fairly simple to introduce and would save so much time not having to keep going back to the original object and deleting the hidden geometry that now has been voxelized.

Edited by allanmrtn
  • Like 4

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, allanmrtn said:

Guys what do you all think of a checkbox option to auto-delete hidden mesh when Voxelize Hidden is performed? Should be fairly simple to introduce and would save so much time not having to keep going back to the original object and deleting the hidden geometry that now has been voxelized.

I agree, would be enough somewhere to be able to choose to set it as the default option.

I take this opportunity to add another request about voxelized hidden.
I don't know if there is a way to avoid it:

1-I create a cut with voxel hide.
2-I activate object-ify hidden volumes
3-the resulting voxel mesh has bevels, as seen in the second picture. I would like the edges to be sharp...and eventually add bevels after.

Screenshjklhkljh_116.jpg.bb124ef5ef7c67f29b8f17f1627fa4f1.jpg
Before objectify

Screehot_118.jpg.4a446fcce54f411a5f4fc79a62b0c5b4.jpg
After objectify

I also add this thing that I don't know how to avoid: when I perform unhide, corner are always NOT ninety degrees, but they always have big bevels. How can I avoid this?

Screeot_115.jpg.4f7c10420681876aaf714986455a8726.jpg

Screenshot_119.jpg.56fd0d3e332e041d92440381f07ee205.jpg

Last question about voxels:
1-use Voxel Hide
2- delete hidden volume
3- increase resolution of mesh
4- the mesh I had deleted reappear ...randomly, sometimes it happens and sometimes not.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

rubeos;

- You need really high density meshes to make sharp hides and corners. It has always been like that.

- Delete hidden, increase mesh res and reappear has always been like that too. Best way to make sure that doesnt happen is to switch to surface and back.

Auto delete hidden vs checkboxes would really be great :)

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
15 hours ago, allanmrtn said:

That would be a good option to have, but in the mean time, you can assign a hotkey to that Menu option, to delete with a simple press of that hotkey

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Koray said:

rubeos;

- You need really high density meshes to make sharp hides and corners. It has always been like that.

ah, ok, I thought it was some kind of bug or caused by my pc ... maybe it's an impassable mathematical limit (I mean objectify and unhide sharp edge). It would be nice to have the edges clean every time you use 'unhide' , even with only 2 res ++, like in the photos above.

- Delete hidden, increase mesh res and reappear has always been like that too. Best way to make sure that doesnt happen is to switch to surface and back.

I understand. I have done some more tests, and for now it works, but as soon as it doesn't work I will try to do as you said. This behavior seems random to me, now i can't reproduce the issue.

• Advanced Member

@SERGYIHey Sergyi, I am trying to add presets to the Quick panel with the right-click menu in Presets panel. Doesn't seem to be working. On linux, 2022.16.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Elemeno said:

not 100% sure what you mean

Sorry I have a little trouble communicating in English.

When I use voxel unhide the edges are not at 90 degrees but there are bevels (see red circle above). Only when I use unhide.
But another guy just above already told that there is no avoiding this, if I understand correctly.

Another basic question that I can't understand: when I use pose tool and do an '' extrusion '' what happens is this:

Scnshot_122.jpg.ad799292c9178f3ad45075f5b744cf43.jpg

Is there a way to get edges with 90° right angles extruding/pulling with pose tool? like this:

Screot_124.jpg.a973fe29d4477e5366b624e6bcac8ad7.jpg

(I got this square shape using cut off)

• Reputable Contributor
5 minutes ago, wilson66 said:

Retopo tools (like brush tool, split rings tool ect) don't auto-snap vertices to reference mesh? I always need to do this manually with snap command. Is this normal behavior, or some setting I have missed?

they should. they used to. if they don't I'd say it's a bug.

However, I think it would be useful to have a new tool similar to add/split that would be immune to auto snap, and that would not merge vertices (which add/split does).
The purpose of this new tool would be to help fix snapping errors easily.

2 hours ago, wilson66 said:

Retopo tools (like brush tool, split rings tool ect) don't auto-snap vertices to reference mesh? I always need to do this manually with snap command. Is this normal behavior, or some setting I have missed?

Use Auto Snap, please.

image.png

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Elemeno said:

can someone tell me what real world situation factures would be used for?

It's like Vertex Paint...on steroids, basically. It's when you need insane levels of texture resolution on a mesh...and you don't need a UV map.

• Haha 1

• Contributor

The factures are really nice, and I've been using them to texture terrains and other environmental models. It feels a little like working in Ptex, and am wondering what the pros and cons are between the two. But overall, it's been cool, and seems like there's a lot of potential with it.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic