3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

Hello

As Andrew said on release notes: 

- I mastered the new technology that will be useful everywhere, especially to optimize anything voxel-related (but not only that, it is potentially useful everywhere). It is calculation via the regular fragment shaders. It is not about compute shaders or OpenCL that are not supported everywhere (and generally not well supported), but usual shaders that work on any device.
It is very important for the future and it took some time to implement and debug. Now it is applied to Smooth in voxels and Grow.

So, no CUDA used, but regular shaders instead. Now smooth and grow work really fast. That was only brushes that was impossible to speed up without GPU.

On build 2021.84 there is no longer CUDA options, as this new technology should replace it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kenmo said:

With version 2022.16 and now version 2022.21 I've been having this perplexing issue with autoretopo option on this particular 3D scan of a lion. I do not have this issue with 3DC 2021 as I tried it several times today in 3DC 2021.

The issue I've having is autoretopo is constantly creating a symmetric retop'd model despite the fact I have symmetry turned off. This happens in both 2022.16 and now 2022.21 which I just installed. It does not happen when I choose InstantMeshes option in 2022.16 or 2022.21. Only in 2022.16 and 2022.21 when I choose autorepto with 3DC's native autoretopo option.

3DC 2021  does not have this issue.

3DC-2022.JPG

3DC-2022-INSTANT-MESH.JPG

Please send me the scene to andrewshpagin@gmail.com

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew, I just sent the scene to you.

I noticed 2022.24 is now the latest stable build. So I installed it and I still have the same issue with the lion model.

However I did try it on a rabbit 3D scan and I did not have the issue. It worked fine.

There must be something with the lion that confuses 3DC.

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

Bug 2022.24? - Modelling Room Points to Polys Tool:

Use 'On Plane ' to drop 4 points in the Y axis.

The RMB doesn't create the polygon ( no poly preview and no way to create the poly )

Turn off the 'On Plane' check box and the RMB still cannot create a polygon with those same points. 

With the 'On Plane' unchecked, drop 4 new points and its works as expected.

Anyone else confirm?

I tried it a second time and it worked fine - strange. 

Edited by insignet
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Well, this is weird. Tonight I did some sculpting on my base Rabbit mesh in 3DC 2022.24 and decided to run autoretopo on the altered mesh. Now it's doing the same thing that it did to the Lion.

Last night autoretopo ran fine on the Rabbit. 

And YES symmetry is turned off.

I tried is 3DC2021 and it was fine. Weird!!!

BUNNY-3DC-2022.24.JPG

BUNNY-3DC-2022.24-2.JPG

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member
On 4/26/2022 at 4:45 PM, rubeos said:

I report many malfunctions and strange behavior regarding the hotkeys in general e in hotkeys mapping.:dash2:

Last one I found: I wanted to map  two curve tools, indicated by the red arrows in the picture. ((IMHO, when drawing curves these are the two most important tools and in photoshop they are mainly mapped to alt ctrl, for quick access)).

Scrnst_129.jpg.b63724ed71c64579e363ee771b1bb907.jpg

I tried these combination:
alt+A for the first and alt+S for the second: it doesn't work.

then I tried alt+space and ctrl+space: it doesn't work.

then I tried alt+1 and alt+2: it doesn't work

Another very annoying thing is this: switching from one tool to another via hokey doesn't work always and in every condition.

- Fixed problem when you was not able to use hotkeys in curves toolset.

I'm using the version 2022.24  and confirm fixed problem. Thank you very much.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 7:30 PM, allanmrtn said:

Guys what do you all think of a checkbox option to auto-delete hidden mesh when Voxelize Hidden is performed? Should be fairly simple to introduce and would save so much time not having to keep going back to the original object and deleting the hidden geometry that now has been voxelized.

Bump on this suggestion  :wub:

• Contributor

Thanks for the new Linux build (2022.24)!

If at all possible, in the understanding that your situation is far from ideal, I'd also love to test the autoretopo improvements in the new beta 2022.25. It could really benefit our workflow in such a crucial step.

Thanks in advance and please stay safe.

I'm in awe seeing you manage to stay focused in such difficult times and plowing ahead with the development of this software.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
22 hours ago, alexn007 said:

Hi Mihu83, not sure if this helps address the issue, but there is a "Reset This Page to Default" option. I may have misunderstood your post, so I apologize if I did.

image.png.a519ab79b45df92a170dd8bb9e73f56e.png

Nope, this setting will reset any custom Render Room layout(windows arrangement). What I've meant with Reset Settings, is bringing lights, fog, DOF, etc. to defaults.

• Advanced Member

YAY - and a big thank you to Andrew and the 3DC development team. 3DCoat 2022.25 resolved my symmetry issue. Many thanks. You guys are simply the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
On 5/17/2022 at 4:02 AM, liok said:

When exporting a sculpt object, face normals seems to be always broken if no decimation is applied:
1773954433_Capturedcran2022-05-16200159.thumb.jpg.42728bf1fa234c57bf2d6c2f94a65d4b.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qm1p7yupdd6duig/Galek_hand_teeth_A002.3b?dl=0

(need to recalculate outside, set from face in edit mode in Blender for example.)

even if decimated it is true

• Advanced Member

In the render room:

- only the Composite render pass works (realtime mode). when the others are selected weird greenish stuff appears on screen. would be cool if somebody can tell me how to get depth renders.

- is there a tutorial or documentation about nodes? I tried to experiment couldnt figure out and when I tried to cancel 3DC crashed. then I tried with some default tools in the render room crashed always when I tried to cancel. didnt send reports. 

-also resetting the render room doesnt delete the lights or doesnt reset at all maybe? lights I placed were still there after crashes for sure.

Be safe,

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

3D Coat 2022.24 has a very weird issue when in the SCULPT room I import a dense 3D scanned object with the option "With  out Vozelization" selected the object appears fine. I upgraded to 3DC 2022.27 and the issue remains.

3DC-2022-01-IMPORT.JPG

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

But once I hit APPLY the model balloons.

This only happens when I select "IMPORT W/O VOXELIZATION"

If I unselect "IMPORT W/O VOXELIZATION" I do not have this issue.

3DC 2021 works fine and does not have this problem.

Thanks kindly....

3DC-2022-02-IMPORT.JPG

• Reputable Contributor
11 hours ago, jimhatama said:

retopo mode still doestn have closest from camera snapping. It makes retopo meshes with close surfaces(or surfaces behind them) real pain. 

retopo.gif

It has 3 modes...nearest, nearest along normal and outer surface. I think outer surface would most closely match what you are trying to do, here. Ghosting your Sculpt Object will let you see through it, in order to pick vertices that somehow fall beneath the Voxel Surface. This video may offer some useful tips in situations like this.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

When I open a saved 3DC file which I was working on previously in the Paint Room with 3DC 2022.27, the model is not there but the UV maps are displayed.

But displays fine in 3DC 2022,27 UV room.

3DC-2022-PAINTrm.JPG

3DC-2022-UVm.JPG

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

Opening the same project file with 3DC 2021 the model appears in the Paint Room and everything is fine.

3DC-2021-PAINTrm.JPG

Edited by kenmo

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, kenmo said:

Opening the same project file with 3DC 2021 the model appears in the Paint Room and everything is fine.

3DC-2021-PAINTrm.JPG

Send this workfile to Andrew (via the Help Menu > Send file to Support) and send and email to Andrew, explaining the situation and let him know if it is repeatable on your side. It might not hurt to also update your graphic card drivers and restart the app to see if that has anything to do with it. 

• Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic