3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member

I did restart the app several times as well as a complete hardware reboot. But I did not check for an update for my Nvidia cards RTX 2060 super and  GTX 1060  6GB in the computer.

I will check Nvidia site as I last checked 3 or 4 months ago.

Many thanks.

• Advanced Member
48 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Send this workfile to Andrew (via the Help Menu > Send file to Support) and send and email to Andrew, explaining the situation and let him know if it is repeatable on your side. It might not hurt to also update your graphic card drivers and restart the app to see if that has anything to do with it. 

I was using Nvidia driver 5.11.79 and did find an updated driver 512.77 which I installed. However it did not resolve my Paint Room or Sculpt Room issue.

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

OK, an update. With the Nvidia driver 512.77 the Paint Room issue happens less consistently than with driver 511.79. 

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

In the Paint Room when the object does not appear upon opening, if I click on the Brush tool the object then appears.

On 9/3/2012 at 12:46 PM, digman said:

I thought I repost the link to Taros's video tutorial on " How to start to painting outside mesh borders" for all the newer users of 3DCoat.

What that means is that you can start your paint stroke outside the mesh and when the stroke hits the mesh, the paint is applied... The object is not rotated.

It is a very useful feature. Thanks for the tutorial again, Chris... :D

http://3dcoat.blogsp...tion-paint.html

You can watch the whole tutorial or jump to 4:00 to see how it works and get the information you need to set it up yourself...

The video can be downloaded from Taros's blog...

The first part of the video is just showing a problem that was fixed quite awhile ago.

"When you need to rotate the mesh object,hold down your ALT key in combination with your left mouse button or tablet pen"

Edit: It is not limited to just the paint room but can be used in voxel / surface mode as well because it is a custom preset navigation setup..

Date of the video

Dec 22, 2010

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, Elemeno said:

how do you turn of left click outside mesh rotation???

I think I understand what you mean.  The only way I've found to turn this off is to use Maya navigation

image.png.77cd14cb5756bb69ccef8e369ed51c30.png

• Advanced Member

Stuff I noticed today:

- Pose tool gizmo looses symmetry if you edit your initial selection. Steps: make a selection, hide gizmo, use ctrl to remeve from selection, unhide gizmo. it appears in the center.

- Clay engine brushes are missing the steady stroke on the top bar, even though they have it in tool options. on purpose?

- Something is not right with the move tool. In the attached image, I splitted the arms then only used the move tool on them. I dont remember making it surface but when I tried to revert back to voxel this happened. Tried to fix by closing holes etc but no good.

Edit: Tried to recreate the problem with the move tool with one of 3dc bases but couldnt. I dont know what else could have happened.

Edit2: Pose gizmo definitely loses symm and appears in the center of the selection.

whyowhy1.jpg

Edited by Koray

• Advanced Member

Also when I choose to make a new doc, select voxel sculpting and then the cube, cube disappears and paint room appears.

My second attemp was even with no tools.

Please guys instead of adding new features that nobody knows how to use, polish what is already there. I can never be sure if I am the one who is making a mistake or if there is a bug.

whyowhy2.jpg

• Advanced Member

guys... ive done two models, a high poly aand a low poly in blender,

i want to paint it in 3d coat

how ever for the life of me i cant manage to bake properly the uv maps work in paint but not retopo, the mesh keeps disappearing

the ui is sooo over complicated to the point where its more work to use this software than it is to use blender or zbrush and zbrush is a mess!

if your mesh is too thin the voxels destroy the mesh

like 90 percent of the ui in this software could be removed and nobody would miss it...

it needs revamping seriously!

nothing is straight forward, i want to import a low poly thats already unwrapped and then bake high poly maps onto it... but it just wont...

would i like to bake-bake textures-bake normal with flat displacemnt-bake normals with rgb,bake normals with unnormal normals... its ridiculous

i just need a baking menu that is simple, my mesh is already on 3d coat , i click bake an a menu comes up, with each material, curvature,AO ,normals etc... i can choose what i want baked , i just locate the high poly , give a texture size and bake... its literally all it needs

theres no proper tutorials.. the menus are confusing .... i should have just stayed using it as a sculpting tool and thats it.

• Reputable Contributor
15 hours ago, Elemeno said:

any chance hip might be added so amd gpus are used too??

They already are, now. Andrew dropped CUDA, and 3DCoat now uses the GPU to accelerate brushes that were too sluggish using CPU multi-threading. Voxel SMOOTH, GROW and FILL brushes are the 3 for now, that have it. More may be added in the near future...but those were the most problematic ones.

• Reputable Contributor
59 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

how ever for the life of me i cant manage to bake properly the uv maps work in paint but not retopo, the mesh keeps disappearing

the ui is sooo over complicated to the point where its more work to use this software than it is to use blender or zbrush and zbrush is a mess!

like 90 percent of the ui in this software could be removed and nobody would miss it...

nothing is straight forward, i want to import a low poly thats already unwrapped and then bake high poly maps onto it... but it just wont...

would i like to bake-bake textures-bake normal with flat displacemnt-bake normals with rgb,bake normals with unnormal normals... its ridiculous

i just need a baking menu that is simple, my mesh is already on 3d coat , i click bake an a menu comes up, with each material, curvature,AO ,normals etc... i can choose what i want baked , i just locate the high poly , give a texture size and bake... its literally all it needs

theres no proper tutorials.. the menus are confusing .... i should have just stayed using it as a sculpting tool and thats it.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Elemeno said:

This series does a walkthrough, from Blender (low poly model) to 3DCoat and back to Blender, with Sculpted and texture work done in 3DCoat.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

well ive managed to get it working.... for some unknown reason the low poly mesh was disappearing but if i clicked brush it came back?

would be nice if we could rename the sub menus, backspace would default them but be able to write them out to a more clearer description

Curves.thumb.jpg.98d4540e2c1e2a63676e4be8cdf2a1fb.jpg

Does the Curves tool add Path Offset and Auto Blend options (offset in or out by a specified distance, schematics use Illustrator's Path Offset and Path Blend), which should speed up sculpting of hard-surfaced and hard-edged models
Parameters: offset distance, offset blend amount

Hello all,

Tested 2022.29 and I can confirm that for me the..

"- Fixed contradiction between custom navigation schemes and rect/lasso/... selection modes."

..does seem to have worked well and I can now fully use my custom (modo/lightwave style) navigation keys.

Thanks 3DCoat Team!

• Thanks 1

• Contributor

Hi Omniripple,

Sorry to hear your having crashes. I haven't seen this issue on my end. I switched over both my Surface book2 and my Desktop to Win 11 a few months ago, and I have not seen any issues with 3d coat running on it.  Have you made sure you got all the windows updates installed? I know this took a little time for me to finally get it all updated, not sure that's what's happening with you, but thought I might mention it as an FYI.  

Good luck, I hope it starts working for you soon, cause that would absolutely drive me mad.. :(

• Contributor

One other thing to add, which I'm sure you already tried, but I'll mention it anyway, as I find myself doing this from time to time to fix some weirdness I have with 3d coat every now and again.

Uninstall 3dcoat, and make sure to delete all your 3dcoat folders in my documents or rename them... I find deleting them makes me feel better. and then reboot, and then reinstall.  I know it's overkill, but that has actually fixed some issues for me in 3dcoat.  Hope that's helpful!

Good Luck!!!

• Advanced Member
On 5/31/2022 at 1:25 AM, Carlosan said:

Dev team is working hard to successfully build 3DCoat under macOS adding USD file format support.

As soon as possible a new upgrade of3DCoat for macOS will be release.

Good news! I hope Apple Silicon / Metal support will also follow.

• Reputable Contributor

Volumetric painting, 2022.30 :

It is really good that now the paint moves along with move tool and pose tool. This will be very useful.

However, the painting is a very thin layer on the surface of the volume.
I think it would be good to :
-paint much deeper into the voxels.
-when going from surface paint to volumetric painting, to bake the colors all the way to the center of the volume.
-Make new voxels inherit the painting under the brush (for example "Soft clay", or "Build", but I mean every tool)

image.thumb.png.07fb7096de5cd3e8c7a7163f4051f1d6.png

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic