3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

It might be the same bug, or connected, but while this menu is open (if you don't click cancel) doing anything like clicking File or anything else than clicking on the popup, will "explode" the current sculpt mesh like if you sculpted with a massive brush on it. (bit frightening as ctrl+Z or Ctrl+s does this sculpt explosion too.)
image.png.7ffe719e3a552d3eda1845574a4ada5a.png

On 6/24/2022 at 9:03 AM, Arvart said:
On 6/24/2022 at 9:03 AM, Arvart said:

Hello, today got a bug with strips import in the latest versions of 3d-Coat. So looks like imported picture get some "shadow" in programm and resoult of stroke with strip get an artifacts. Just take a look at the picture and you will understand what is the point. Anyway it's minor bug as I see, hope it will be easy to fix it.

3dCBug.jpg

Hello, today got a bug with strips import in the latest versions of 3d-Coat. So looks like imported picture get some "shadow" in programm and resoult of stroke with strip get an artifacts. Just take a look at the picture and you will understand what is the point. Anyway it's minor bug as I see, hope it will be easy to fix it.

Looks like original image (at least on picture) has a bit darker pixels border on the top/bottom. Please send the image to andtrewshpagin@gmail.com to check if coat adds some additional border. On my tests it does not add the border.

• Advanced Member

Using latest build. .32 on linux. Using default folders that are created on startup. Issues not present in .25.

VIEWPORT ISSUES WHEN ACES TONEMAPPING IS ACTIVE.     

Cannot change FOV in viewport.

Editing permanent shader settings causes viewport crash.

Full screen mode black bar at top of interface in some cases.

IRREGULAR FACETED ISSUES IN OCCLUSION AND BAKING CURVATURE FOR SMART MATERIALS WHEN ACES ENABLED IN PREFERENCES!!! (SEE IMAGES)

Screenshot from 2022-06-25 13-20-38.png

Screenshot from 2022-06-25 13-51-19.png

Screenshot from 2022-06-25 13-31-31.png

Making 3dcoat rockstable is something i would like alot. i think with upcoming hardware the power of 3dcoat voxel sculpting will be really unleashed! Thanks for keeping up the work even though the times are difficult.

• Thanks 1

• Contributor

Hi Modelling-Room Team!

Please make an option to make closed objects when extruding. It is very tedious to use Cap tool, Split etc for each small extruded object.

-----> solution found: the 'make shell' tool beside smart extrude

dupli.thumb.png.c6dc122ea765740faca677e81c710009.png

Aces now works fine with viewport! And The Diameter for Sphere is fixed! Very Cool!!

Edited by Ctc_nick
solution found: 'make shell' tool
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

3d-Coat 2022 is unable to save .3b file in a folder that has has special characters, probably depending on how they are encoded ?

I don't know anything about character encoding, but I'll try to describe the problem anyway :
Here is the same word "Baker's", first time is copy/pasted, and second time is typed in directly

image.png.fce03bb2528aca3d60d9f0bc0b595a6d.png

If you create a folder and name it the way it is encoded in the first instance, then 3d-Coat will be unable to write the file.

If you are lucky, you will get this message : image.png.bc48eea8beeffdcb6b399209e9666050.png

Then, you know that there is an issue and you can fix it.

If you are unlucky, you only discover  that the file was not saved the next time you try to open your File.
In windows explorer you will find two folders : the original one, and a second, empty folder or sometimes a file that is not a folder, with a truncated name that ends abruptly just before the problematic character :
image.thumb.png.38bba25148a813c484f3c40850b06251.png

image.png

• Like 1

• Contributor
5 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Please explain in more detail.

Hi @Gorbatovsky. Its really very basic: When you extrude 2D faces, it would be good if the 'backside' stays intact. So you would get a closed Cube with 6 sides in this case.

--->Edit: I found out the 'make shell command' works like this. Maybe all extrude tools should be in one Tool with options. hmm.

Thank you.

------------------------------------

//Here I have to use the cap tool on the 'backside' after extruding. And when there is more then one face (ae. for a rail) then I have to split all faces by //hand.

All the best!

extrude.thumb.gif.0c0a4b858f2c711da2aaba72d5edf163.gifextrude2.thumb.gif.f345b72034c182b8e9e0ba843e7bf93a.gif

Edited by Ctc_nick
found solution: 'make shell tool'
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor
9 hours ago, poeboi said:

Thanks so much for many updates this year, and hope all is well

I have a question:
was it ever in the cards to make it so 3DCoat curve can be sent to Blender, as Blender curve?

Best,

Nice Idea!! USD is also supporting curves.. ;) that would be cool!

• Like 1

• Contributor
5 hours ago, Ctc_nick said:

Nice Idea!! USD is also supporting curves.. ;) that would be cool!

That's true
3dcoat curves to blender curves might also be a cool community project,
it hinges on whether we can for example get curve data from 3dcoat in meaningful way, serialize it and send it to blender in a manner that it needs to reconstruct the curve

I haven't looked into any of it but on paper seems straight forward enough.. until it's maybe not :rofl:

• Like 1

• Contributor

@Gorbatovsky

Hi Modelling Room team.

Could you make Booleans for custom Models possible in the Modelling Room? Subract/Add/Union with the Objects from 'Poly Models' Panel.  And in the PolyGroups/Layerpanel Merge with Shift/Ctrl. Just like in Sculptroom. Would be great for Continuity.

This is also why I thought it would work like this in the modelling room.

• Like 1

• Contributor
12 minutes ago, poeboi said:

That's true
3dcoat curves to blender curves might also be a cool community project,
it hinges on whether we can for example get curve data from 3dcoat in meaningful way, serialize it and send it to blender in a manner that it needs to reconstruct the curve

I haven't looked into any of it but on paper seems straight forward enough.. until it's maybe not :rofl:

We need a 'curves_export.cpp' example in the Core Api Documentation. :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ctc_nick said:

Could you make Booleans for custom Models possible in the Modelling Room?

Hi.

Yes, we can.

I thought experienced designers don't use booleans in low poly modeling. :)

3 hours ago, Ctc_nick said:

3dcoat curves to blender curves

What tools with curves?

image.png

• Thanks 1

• Contributor
3 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Hi.

Yes, we can.

I thought experienced designers don't use booleans in low poly modeling. :)

>>Yes, we can.

Supercool!!

>>I thought experienced designers don't use booleans in low poly modeling. 

Of course we do. I think so.:rofl:  I had to cut of a curved poly rail from a curved poly ship and the booleans were indeed the idea of fitting two parts together quickly. 

>>What tools with curves:

Like @poeboi said, we were talking about the construction Curves in the CurveTree.

Thank You!

Edited by Ctc_nick
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Hi. Just a small thing. While Curve editing, the Transform Gizmo does not update its position to new point selection. This is a little bit quirky.

It would be totally great if this also works in 'Object transformation mode' (Spacemouse).  Have you tried? its very nice/haptic to edit curves that way. 

All the best!

transform.thumb.gif.27637829b5c169dfa516f7fa6ba8363f.gif

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic