3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member

Again today all my hotkeys and preferences where reset after a random crash (jus during smoothing parts of my model, v.2022.36).

I never experienced a software when crashing killing all customization and hotkeys of the user and he has to set up the entire program again.

This should never happen.

Hope something about this can be done.

• Like 1

2 issues I ran into in 2022.34 (36 too)

1. If you make a hole in a mesh with 'act as a VoxHide' (I used Base Clay with some noisy alpha)

it's almost impossible to close that hole with the inverted (ctrl+) brush.

image.png.3481763b511b4177dda2c5ccb8fa4d32.png

2. Brush rotation doesn't seem to be saved along with the brush preset.

image.png.88e6ee44a1f3ac5f075b11b2cf7c51b2.png

Actually in thin meshes 'Act as a VoxHide' can create new holes, even in the inverted (unhide) mode.

image.thumb.png.ba2ed791399d7eb9fcbc44a6437820b6.png

Edited by frmdbl

• Reputable Contributor
16 hours ago, Henry Townshend said:

Again today all my hotkeys and preferences where reset after a random crash (jus during smoothing parts of my model, v.2022.36).

I never experienced a software when crashing killing all customization and hotkeys of the user and he has to set up the entire program again.

This should never happen.

Hope something about this can be done.

When it happens thee is no warning, the software just closes from one second to the next, yes ?
I have no idea what triggers it, it seems random. all I can say is that it has never happened to me when actually working on something. It is always when I am testing things.

I personally have a workaround : I have made it a habit of saving hotkeys, preferences, theme, workspace, and custom navigation.
(it is rather tedious to have to save all that separately, in different menus)

I had an idea just now, this is why I am answering :
What if 3d-Coat autosaved all that information on a regular basis ?
Could 3d-Coat possibly detect, at launch, if something bad like this happened, and then open a dialogue offering to load autosaved settings ?

I mean, at launch, 3d-Coat could compare the current settings to the latest autosaved settings, and if they are different it could restore autosaved settings, and open a warning saying that settings have been restored to auto save taken at such date and time ?

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Silas Merlin said:

When it happens thee is no warning, the software just closes from one second to the next, yes ?
I have no idea what triggers it, it seems random. all I can say is that it has never happened to me when actually working on something. It is always when I am testing things.

I personally have a workaround : I have made it a habit of saving hotkeys, preferences, theme, workspace, and custom navigation.
(it is rather tedious to have to save all that separately, in different menus)

I had an idea just now, this is why I am answering :
What if 3d-Coat autosaved all that information on a regular basis ?
Could 3d-Coat possibly detect, at launch, if something bad like this happened, and then open a dialogue offering to load autosaved settings ?

I mean, at launch, 3d-Coat could compare the current settings to the latest autosaved settings, and if they are different it could restore autosaved settings, and open a warning saying that settings have been restored to auto save taken at such date and time ?

Hey,

yes, same here, no warning ,software jus closes. It holds on for a second, and you can kinda smell it will be "that kind of crash" again.

I also fail to observe a pattern, it jus seemingly happens randomly. For me, sadly, during a work session, on an object I need to finish.

Sounds like a valid approach. But, I feel this is a workaround of the "bad" thing that happens, which should not happen in the first place.

I assumed that all these settings are already autosaved somewhere, they have to be, right? A question for me then would be how and why this data would be corrupted by crashes? It should not be intertwined with the programs runtime behavior, or failure, but persist, ike you said, stored somewhere, not overwritable.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Henry Townshend said:

Hey,

yes, same here, no warning ,software jus closes. It holds on for a second, and you can kinda smell it will be "that kind of crash" again.

I also fail to observe a pattern, it jus seemingly happens randomly. For me, sadly, during a work session, on an object I need to finish.

Sounds like a valid approach. But, I feel this is a workaround of the "bad" thing that happens, which should not happen in the first place.

I assumed that all these settings are already autosaved somewhere, they have to be, right? A question for me then would be how and why this data would be corrupted by crashes? It should not be intertwined with the programs runtime behavior, or failure, but persist, ike you said, stored somewhere, not overwritable.

I don't know if this is helpful regarding this issue, but I maybe observed at least one thing, a trace ...

I extensively use the CTRL+SHIFT brushes functions, Tangent Smooth, Relax, Super Relax, Reconstruct (amazing stuff by the way!)

It feels to me that those gradually increase some weirdness in the programs behavior. For instance, if I use Super Relax, often times after releasing the camera gets offset, very far from the model, nowhere to be found, it just jumps away and I have to press SHIFT+A to get the model back in focus. 

Then sometimes, when using relax or reconstruct, I also started to notice some flickering when at some point "Autosave" Countdown starts during the process.

Could this maybe have to do with Autosave ? Maybe a coincedence when a crashs occurs during the exact time of autosave ?:look:

I have the feeling the more I use the CTR+SHIFT smooth function, the more wonky issues start to introduce, until, I am not entirely sure, the program crashes this way of losing all prefs and hotkeys... jus a vague assumption, maybe coincidence.

I fail to imagine how these things could be related, but hopefully a developer might know if its the case and might be able to see whats going on.

Edited by Henry Townshend
typo
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, Henry Townshend said:

I don't know if this is helpful regarding this issue, but I maybe observed at least one thing, a trace ...

I extensively use the CTRL+SHIFT brushes functions, Tangent Smooth, Relax, Super Relax, Reconstruct (amazing stuff by the way!)

It feels to me that those gradually increase some weirdness in the programs behavior. For instance, if I use Super Relax, often times after releasing the camera gets offset, very far from the model, nowhere to be found, it just jumps away and I have to press SHIFT+A to get the model back in focus. 

Then sometimes, when using relax or reconstruct, I also started to notice some flickering when at some point "Autosave" Countdown starts during the process.

Could this maybe have to do with Autosave ? Maybe a coincedence when a crashs occurs during the exact time of autosave ?:look:

I have the feeling the more I use the CTR+SHIFT smooth function, the more wonky issues start to introduce, until, I am not entirely sure, the program crashes this way of losing all prefs and hotkeys... jus a vague assumption, maybe coincidence.

I fail to imagine how these things could be related, but hopefully a developer might know if its the case and might be able to see whats going on.

I don't know if it is related to autosave but the fact is that I have it disabled, and this still happens to me (rarely enough, as I said above, when testing new stuff).

yeah I know it is dangerous to disable autosave, but I would reactivate it only if it were possible to disable zipping for autosave without disabling it for other saves.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Are there any change about cavity / AO map generate process for multi surface (multi uv set)  mesh?

Because when I try to use smart material to make statue texture for multi mat figure,  generated cavity map seems only used for one surface group .

Then I check texture,,  about this case Cavity seems only generated for  Face part UV tile = Face surface.

Bake AO show like this. I usually not use those texture for figure render, (and for cycles),  but have used it for more simple assets .

Is it usual, or I miss some setting , option?  I feel I did not see this issue, when I use pbr material (they usually need those map, then I keel default setting)

When I paint it, it work as same as before, (I can paint for all material as I need) so only PBR AO and cavity cause problem. 

or I may need to re-locate all UV tile as one ? 

cavity.JPG

AO.JPG

And in UV room, each UV tile locate as UDIM way (I export it with blender add on) . is it matter when generate AO/Cavity map?

uvtile.thumb.JPG.1ed03432bd9a8646388677dad32050b5.JPG

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

OK,, I found when it not work.

1. I make UV as UDIM way in blender (not gather all group as one UV tile)

2. export it as obj /fbx/ or blender add on to 3d coat

3. if I use Treat material as separate texture (so separate surface group with each material), 3d coat generate UV tile as same as blender 

4. then it cause issue when I generate bake map (AO, carvature)

5 if I do not use Treat material as separate texure,  3d coat use UV tile, and gather all UV tile as 1001 location. so it can generate AO, and Carvature correctly.

(btw blender add on default option is,, Treat material as separate texture, I suppose ^^;)

====
Just add one more tips which I found ^^; (though it is neat)

If you hope to use "Treat material as texture" to keep all surface group (eg 12 or 14) , simply merge all UV tile  as one tile in your apricaiton  first. Then use "Treat material as texture" when import to 3d coat.

if you try to merge for UDIM UV in 3d coat UV room/retopo room, 3d coat seems not offer tool to transform island as UDIM grid, so you may change your UV set position )

If all UV tile are merged when import, 3d coat can load merged 1 tile UV (but separate each "material"l as different UV set, then you can still use all surface group + can generate AO/ cavity correctly.

(I just remember those things, it was first thing I learned, when I manually export to 3d coat, without 3d coat add on  for multi mat object :p:

Edited by tokikake
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

I don't know if it is related to autosave but the fact is that I have it disabled, and this still happens to me (rarely enough, as I said above, when testing new stuff).

yeah I know it is dangerous to disable autosave, but I would reactivate it only if it were possible to disable zipping for autosave without disabling it for other saves.

Ok interesting. Then it seems to be unrelated to auto save.

To me it happens when working on a long ongoing file which I always save incrementally by "File->Save Incrementally".

I think I don't recall it happened to me when on working on a fresh project, but could be wrong.

Edited by Henry Townshend
typo

On 7/13/2022 at 4:04 PM, Henry Townshend said:

Andrew said: 
In nest build (37) this will be corrected, there will be almost no chance to lose preferences.
1) I save only changes
2) I save to temp folder and then copy file overwrite

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Whoever implemented the "Align Vertices" Tool: THANK YOU so much!

This was something I missed coming from year long Blender retopo.

image.png.097cad61dbaa235143d33cada1e24d94.png

Actually not sure if this was always there...maybe I have missed it. I feel this popped up recently. I just discovered it.

In any case: Great! It immensely helps for manual hard surface retopo. So glad to have it now also in my absolute favorite retopo tool. (3D Coat retopo tools leave me speechless every new session. Such a joy to work with)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When multiple UV regions of the same area need to be overlapped and sorted, it is difficult to arrange them. I hope to increase their sorting.At present, I can't solve it in Coat and can only use other UV software to assist the work

image.thumb.png.6038ff42a02d86f7b6819bc5e1cd1ca5.png

Edited by Tubor

• Reputable Contributor
6 minutes ago, Tubor said:

When multiple UV regions of the same area need to be overlapped and sorted, it is difficult to arrange them. I hope to increase their sorting.At present, I can't solve it in Coat and can only use other UV software to assist the work

image.thumb.png.6038ff42a02d86f7b6819bc5e1cd1ca5.png

use edge loops tool in island selection mode, then click on "copy UV" in the "selected" section.
Then, select a similar island and hit "Paste UV" and do the same for all the other ones.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Hello.

The N Surface Tool in Sculpt Room is not working. There is no preview, the first Guide can't be picked. I also had some crashes while trying.

If there would be an option to 'turn off Auto Connection of curves' (Start a second curve on the endpoint of another)

and a 3D Snap for curves on curves, (!)

selectable tangent points with Gizmo transform, snapping for tangent points

would make it a lot easier to create nice surfaces.

Curves are good stuff. :good2: 

1 hour ago, Ctc_nick said:

The N Surface Tool in Sculpt Room is not working.

Thanks for the feedback.
I now have in my plan a radical refinement of this tool to make it more convenient to use.

1 hour ago, Ctc_nick said:

and a 3D Snap for curves on curves,

More details, please.

Have a nice day

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Thanks for the feedback.
I now have in my plan a radical refinement of this tool to make it more convenient to use.

More details, please.

Have a nice day

2dsnap.thumb.gif.7dd9cfe30138d928b970839df34629fa.gif

Hello Alexander!

The 2 curves snap in view space, but not in 3D. I understand that the curves dont have to touch at all for creating surfaces and that is great, but I would prefer a precise curve network, curve on curve, where the surface ends exactly where the curves are. 

You too have a nice Day!

Many Thanks

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic