3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Reputable Contributor
17 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

How you achieved it? clusters? Or other software?

By hand in 3d-Coat. Uv-Path tool. It took forever, maybe two days. There is no island preview for large meshes, so you have to hit unwrap and inspect the result constantly navigating the uv-preview panel.

12 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

What if be added unwrapping modes for better results ? :huh:
Organic, hard surface and projection unwrapping ?

Unwrapping is still in process, current implementation stitches small islands whenever possible, tends to make bigger islands, detects self-intersections better and faster. But it is only the first step, I have much more ideas to implement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Using v39 retopo room:  There is no "ball" or "points" indicators when using either Add/Split or Points to Polygons tool.

Same with Smart Retopo Brush.

You can still use the tools though, but they are invisible. With Points to Polygons this of course is difficult to work with.

Is this intended? Or now a setting somewhere?

EDIT: Just noticed this is not version related, I have the same now when going back to 38 or 37 ... not sure what I did wrong. I seem to can not get them back.

EDIT 2: Ok, now they re-appeared after I opened a fresh file and then my work file again. No idea whatcould have caused this. Nevermind. Glad they are back.

image.thumb.png.c79593bb807d69382a302e438d53ad3f.png

Edited by Henry Townshend
add image

• Advanced Member

Question about Applink:

Would it be possible to have the "Auto Smooth" option deactivated by default when sending any mesh from 3D Coat to Blender?

It causes in most cases unwanted shading on object anyways. It is kind of a bit tedious and time consuming having to disable it every single time after sending an object over.

I looked in the Scene Properties if there is an option to already do so, but it seems  there is none?

image.thumb.png.ce41ec0375a8063e594d770d44461114.png

image.thumb.png.8d2a028baf559a04c420fa12c960b570.png

• Advanced Member
I did some  more testing on the long standing "Slow layer blending slider Problem".

I recorded a video for demonstration, because I found something out (maybe it is already known):

-> The problem is depending on the amount of objects or pixels you fill if the layer sliders are still responsive or not. This is good news one the one hand, cause it means it makes layer sliders usable when only applied to a few objects or UV islands! But on the other hand, it makes blending of larger, overall affecting layers still slow.

Additionally, the problem is, once you have filled a whole layer, and then delete the layer contents again, it will stay laggy unfortunately...

Maybe this information is useful to you. For me, this is a good finding, because it helps me to have a bit more usable texturing in 3D Coat, which I enjoy. But I wished that the sliders would be responsive in any case, so the texturing feels swift and organic. Because as I mentioned, this is one of the most important things for texture artist: Fine and responsive blending of layers on top of each other.

I also noticed layer blending sliders when dragged also cause a lot of audible coil whining on my graphics card, once a whole layer got filled, but not so much when only individual objects where filled. So I feel this might be an heavy load problem that might could be solved somehow, as other texturing software do not have these problems, for instance Quixel Mixer, Substance Painter, or Marmoset. All have fluid layer blending, no matter what and how much of a mesh/map gets filled.

Edited by Henry Townshend
typo
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Is there a way to scale "individual origins" in 3D Coat like in Blender? I mean such a situation here:

image.thumb.png.f0d3a8eade96e32ef6f2f5bffec7b35d.png

I would like to scale down each edge individually and not towards bounding box center. I can't figure out if its possible.

Quick demonstration what I am looking for:

• Advanced Member

Also, how would I go about merging this selected geometry into a single vert in center? I there a command for this maybe?

image.thumb.png.21bc2f4c2de4e076bc2b43f4aeb5f053.png

The way I found is scaling them towards center with the gizmo so they have very little distance, then use the vertex weld tool. An instant command would be more convenient.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Import mesh for micro-vertex painting seems not load multi UV set (material) mesh correctly. Recent 3d coat immediately crush. I have failed  to import high-poly complex figure mesh witch use  multi materials, Then I test with most  simple cube (but sub-D 6 times and apply) which have 2 materials (and 2 UV tiles 1001, 1002).

If I import same cube for Per pixel painting, 3d coat can load without problem.  I have not played with micro-vertex painting, so do not know if other version worked or not.

Anyway test attached cube (obj) and import as Micro-vertex paint to 3d coat please. (if you can, teach me your import setting ^^;)

the cube is like this in blender.  (I do not test it with app-link, simply import as obj)

image.thumb.jpeg.66937790f2ababb98c092ffcde4185cc.jpeg

highpolycube.zip

Edited by tokikake
exchange obj as clean one.

• Advanced Member

Is there already a "shear" tool inside 3D Coat? I searched but I can not seem to find one. I assume that I might again don't know where or in which tool to look.

Shear helps vertices to stay the same on two axis and only be rotated along one axis. In Blender it is called with "SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+S" and then by hitting either "X" or "Y" afterwards, you can constrain it to one of the current 2D view axis, and then drag your mouse to shear.

Wonder if this doable also in 3D Coat?

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hi

Your model only have 1 tile and one islands outside the U,V, range

image.png

1rst need to create both tiles

image.png

source...

Hi Carosan I understand what you means, but it is relatively new blender UDIM setting way  (it have been  added for 2.9  or 2.8 I remember)  to manage simple UDIM  textures to load UDIM number textures and set-up easy. at same time It have problem too.

Because the way do not full support multi materials.  If I set textures as UDIM Tile (the blender function) I  can only set one material for the mesh = need to use same shader nodes for all mesh.  Then the blender offer UDIM texture setting is good for simple mesh which only use same  shader  as one material.  but it not work for complex mesh which need to change shader nodes for each material. (then each material assigned mesh are separated by UV tile space)

So most of case I do not set Blender UDIM textures for complex mateiral figure , but simply locate each Material part on different tile as I did. My attached  sample cube  mesh is usual (old) UDIM tile UV,  most of blender user have set UDIM tile so until blender offer the UDIM texture setting function... (manually move each UDIM tile with UV unit, blender can do it,, move to U as 1 unit , 2 unit, ..)

Though it not set tile number, it actually locate UV on 1001,  1002 UV space, then we can set different material for each part too...   Actually my attached cube mesh can import to 3d coat without problem for Per pixel painting with option (Import tile as UV set) for per pixel paint.

image.thumb.jpeg.6c9a2641d54c5485407b4d8b3e92fc7d.jpeg

importperpixel.thumb.JPG.0c65f49ffc91826b722631b21ff72bce.JPG

But when I use same option and import same cube as micro vertex paint, it never work.. (simply 3d coat crush)

Then can you import your set mesh (blender UDIM texture setting as you described) as micro vertex paint without break anything? 

(keep each UDIM part as UV set correctly) I may try your way,, , but I suppose it may not work.. (maybe 3d coat can not manage it for micro vertex mesh,  though it work in blender)

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hi

Your model only have 1 tile and one islands outside the U,V, range

image.png

1rst need to create both tiles

image.png

source...

Carosan I test your way, but when I import UDIM (set UDIM tile number with temp UDIM textures)  as "micro vertex paint", 

3d coat still crush... so I do not think, it make difference (3d coat can manage / can not mange (with or without UDIM number, it only matter to set texture name as UV tile for blender  I suppose)

filludimcol.thumb.JPG.15e9a691d9c5c3347f37394942d3bb66.JPG

Could you test this mesh please?  

my 3d coat version 2022.39 ,, windows 10

if I do not use "Import tile as UV set" it can load mesh, but it perfectly mess up. (and not generate UV correctly)

UDIMuv.zip

• Advanced Member

And I suppose IT is current limitation of 3D coat micro vertex paint,, IT can not manage multi material,, if all UV are locate in same 1001 space. for Per pixel paint, 3d coat offer import optoin >> Treat material as separate textures.

So I can separate material without thinking UDIM (just gather as one UV tile..), 3d coat auto set tile for each material..

But for Micro vertex paint,  There seems no option which can auto separate UV set with material..

>> so we must need to use "Import tile as UV set" with locate UV as separate tile >>>>> but it crush for me :(

Though I am new about micro vertex painting,  so If there is way 3d coat can mange UDIM / mutli material / multi UV tile (UV set)  for one paint object to import Micro vertex paint.. teach me correct way please...   (I do not suprise, if it is current limitation.. just hope to confirm, it work or not)

I add blend file, with textures (Blender seems still not support pack UDIm texture I suppose, so to confirm I set UDIM textures correctly you may need texture too ^^;)  if it was wrong, tell me please. and export it as obj then import as micro vertex in 3d coat,, >> clash for me..

UDIMtest.7z

Edited by tokikake
add blend file with textures

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, Henry Townshend said:

When working with the cap tool to cap a cylinder, is there maybe already a possibility to position the center vertex exactly in the center without having to eyeball it each time?

If not, this would be a super handy addition to this already great tool.

Yes I have always liked that you have to "eyeball" things in 3d-Coat... except for that one thing : When making something with radial symmetry, and I have to use cap tool, suddenly, there goes the perfect symmetry, impossible to achieve it. It is rather annoying and I think it could drive some people nuts.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Henry Townshend said:

When working with the cap tool to cap a cylinder, is there maybe already a possibility to position the center vertex exactly in the center without having to eyeball it each time?

If not, this would be a super handy addition to this already great tool.

image.thumb.png.2e512177bbc75cc951a5594943b7f070.png

I understand your request about cap tool, then I hope same thing.. then  to locate cap center,

I personally do these steps..

1.  select top edges and extrude (just click enter),

2.  change selection mode as verts,  transform selected verts (scale) to center.

3. finally use new weld vertices tool...

(though it only work, your cylinder is clean radial shape.. and do not know how 3d coat manage it with symmetry mode..

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

@tokikake crash confirmed, thx for point it up.

I need to apologize, as usual  I describe some wrong infomation about blender UDIM texture ^^;

New UDIM texture set up seems work for multi materials, I confirm..,, (maybe it had been up-dated I feel, or I miss use it still, but anyway thanks you confirm the problem. ^_^(with use UDIM set up / or simply locate UV without set UDIM texture,,after all, 3d coat can not load it as micro vertex object I suppose)

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, tokikake said:

I understand your request about cap tool, then I hope same thing.. then  to locate cap center,

I personally do these steps..

1.  select top edges and extrude (just click enter),

2.  change selection mode as verts,  transform selected verts (scale) to center.

3. finally use new weld vertices tool...

(though it only work, your cylinder is clean radial shape.. and do not know how 3d coat manage it with symmetry mode..

Thanks for suggesting these steps!

I would like to avoid these as I am used to "Merge at center" in Blender. The Cap tool in 3D Coat is however natively much quicker.  Only that it is missing this functionality.

If there was just an additional key to hold for it to detect the center of the Edge loop it is capping onto, like for instance by holding "SHIFT+CTRL" and click, or maybe a tool option checkbox "merge point at center" to automatically constrain the caps center vertex to the edge loops center, I'd be happy, as I find the Cap Tool much more convenient to use than manual extrusion and merging, which include a lot of extra steps.

Not saying perfect cap centers are always necessary, but to keep things a bit more even and proportioned, this would be helpful.

Your suggestion is definetly are a workaround though, but the procedure defeats a bit the existence of the cap tool I think, which is already there to quickly insert caps by bypassing these steps.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I LOVE the knife tool "Polygon" mode! Such a great option for cutting holes into your ngons in retopo mode!

Just found it after trying with subtractive 3D Primitive cylinders, which are not optimal for the task, as they leave lots of unwanted faces behind and tend to cause quite some messy connections.

This mode of the Knife tool is just awesome for the job, much quicker, and produces very nice results, really amazing:

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Modified Cap Tool. If hold Ctrl, the Center vertex is positioned at the Center Point

I really surprise you could enhance so quickly!  I remember, Cap tool often locate cap center point on to wrong  place (which user not suppose) along with my current view.   With ctrl Cap tool will locate top verts  more reliable position!! 

Then  I may request as default, it should locate center without ctrl,,  at same time will not you offer option window for new cap tool, which can toggle behavior ,  then maybe you can add other options for future cap tool when we need..)

eg I may hope,,these options. 

1locate cap top on to plane  ( we may decide position on the plane  = cap as plane)

2locate cap top with height... (we will adjust cap height in option window input menu.. and locate center verts with keep off set height as I need

3  auto locate top as center..

4 cap with quad mesh.. (though there should be case it not work, but try to cap with quad when it can)

captooloption.thumb.JPG.310706975da59cf022361ad47f6aea99.JPG

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic