3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

I do not know what is happening with this program again, but the following happened to me. my model was distorted after opening, although at the time of saving it was in order, after that boolean union works for me ONLY if I take the object lower in the hierarchy first, but never in a different order, then my program freezes when I try to split the object. And a annoying reminder about the blender importer every time you start the program.

Also, I constantly notice random freezes on random parts of the object when boolean operations or when using pose mode. This is all very strange and reminds me of the times when working with the program caused me stress and depression. Please do something about this already.

Thank you for another pleasant experience, I really appreciate the efforts of the developer.

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Barrel said:

I do not know what is happening with this program again, but the following happened to me. my model was distorted after opening, although at the time of saving it was in order, after that boolean union works for me ONLY if I take the object lower in the hierarchy first, but never in a different order, then my program freezes when I try to split the object. And a annoying reminder about the blender importer every time you start the program.

Also, I constantly notice random freezes on random parts of the object when boolean operations or when using pose mode. This is all very strange and reminds me of the times when working with the program caused me stress and depression. Please do something about this already.

Thank you for another pleasant experience, I really appreciate the efforts of the developer.

voxels are unstable.....

ive said this alot, like the merging is unstable and various other things.. so i jsut use 3dcoat to mock up a shape now, and then import it into zbrush

@Barrel Looks like you have the Blender App Link installed, but it is outdated. Press OK to update the App Link.

You need to accept the UAC warning to allow the 3DCoat to copy the App Link files to the Blender installation folder.
If you tried to install the new App Link using this dialog, but this message pops up again and again, then 3DCoat is unable to copy the App Link files.

Do this manually in this case.

Copy files from
CoatInstallPath/data/ToolsPresets/InstallAppLinks/Blender/files to
BlenderInstallPath/scripts/addons/io_coat3d/

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I can not select "Sculpt tree"  voxel  >  right click menu (r-click on each voxel) when Sculpt tree not locate on Most right section.

Right click menu actually open but, it suddenly disappear when I hover mouse and select..

1. in sculpt room, set sculpt tree, middle column in window like this. (most of place may not work)

sculpttree.thumb.JPG.c0085d8d9a5e7b2be17857544a2027d9.JPG

2. right click voxel, then it open menu.

3. when you try to select one of option, (mouse move)  it disappear..

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

If r-click and slide mouse quickly and select one of option first, options remain there.

but r-click>> wait second >> hover mouse to select one option, options disappear..

I tried ,  preferences> viewport > enable voxtree properties by right click , on or off, but this option seems not related with this issue.

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

@Andrew Shpagin Hi, version 2022.39:

1. Tool option panel still overlapping on disappearing tool bar

2. Flat shading still not working as it should - because there is no clown pass in render room, flat shading is used as one, so please fix it. I've been mentioning this for at least a year and nothing.

I think there is still a lot of room for optimization in automatic topology. The results obtained by topology under complex textures are not ideal. Please refer to the picture.

Setting the number of auto-topology surfaces too high will geometrically increase the time. You can only wait patiently. Zremesher results are also attached. Topology results are much faster than Auto Topology.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.a1ea973fcf38388b2e978070dfb19042.jpg

freeze tool was never supposed to work in voxel mode, theres a question of depth of the mask as far as i understand (how should the program know how deep your mask should be when you're brushing a mask?)

There's voxel painting on the other hand with depth parameters, maybe they could apply that to freeze tool too to have an option of freezing in voxels.

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 8/8/2022 at 9:03 AM, Tubor said:

I think there is still a lot of room for optimization in automatic topology. The results obtained by topology under complex textures are not ideal. Please refer to the picture.

Setting the number of auto-topology surfaces too high will geometrically increase the time. You can only wait patiently. Zremesher results are also attached. Topology results are much faster than Auto Topology.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.a1ea973fcf38388b2e978070dfb19042.jpg

There is a LOT of detail inside the object, so it's much harder for an auto-retopo algorithm than you think. So, what I would try to do is create a "dumbed down," much lower resolution duplicate of your voxel (Sculpt Tree) layer > Auto Retopo that > hide the duplicate voxel layer after you get the Auto Retopo results you want > bake the sculpt details from the original, high poly version.

9 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

There is a LOT of detail inside the object, so it's much harder for an auto-retopo algorithm than you think. So, what I would try to do is create a "dumbed down," much lower resolution duplicate of your voxel (Sculpt Tree) layer > Auto Retopo that > hide the duplicate voxel layer after you get the Auto Retopo results you want > bake the sculpt details from the original, high poly version.

Thanks, I think this solution can reduce the workload of retopo when the model is extremely complex, and also get a better topology model.

• Reputable Contributor
13 hours ago, Elemeno said:

broken.thumb.jpg.77b8a97cf8b34818cb98367a33bbf1a8.jpg

so i want a square pattern around pot that has to be sharp... so i freeze the area

broken_smooth.thumb.jpg.c47fe3c40a1ec9fb86220f08337bf621.jpg

then i want to smooth it but the freeze just falls apart...

Can you send Support a quick email (support@pilgway.com) about this situation, in case Andrew doesn't see your posts in this thread. He monitors this thread a lot, but if he gets busy on something, he may not have the opportunity. I will try to send him a message about it, too.

• Advanced Member
On 7/30/2022 at 10:30 PM, Hardev said:

Is there already a "shear" tool inside 3D Coat? I searched but I can not seem to find one. I assume that I might again don't know where or in which tool to look.

Shear helps vertices to stay the same on two axis and only be rotated along one axis. In Blender it is called with "SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+S" and then by hitting either "X" or "Y" afterwards, you can constrain it to one of the current 2D view axis, and then drag your mouse to shear.

Wonder if this doable also in 3D Coat?

Referring to my question from before:

Is there maybe a "Shear" operation already inside 3D Coat? This is something very helpful for fine distortion of retopo parts, but also of course important for a modeling tool set in general.

Please see the video above to see what I mean.

If not yet there, maybe this could be build into the "Select/Transform" Tool as an option "Shear" and then with respective checkboxes "X" or "Y" , like in the Align Vertices Tool, where you also can choose your axis.

And as stated, reference is in Blender where you can call the shear operation with "SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+S" , then hit either "X" or "Y" depending on which direction you wanna shear.

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

Just for information, I finally solved a problem I have had since the integration of paint tools in sculpt room :

Soon after, the paint tools disappeared from sculpt room for me and I have been unable to bring them back until today.
It so happens that I often "restore workspace" because there is no way to lock the panels in place, which makes it easy to lose your layout by misclicking.
So... as soon as I restored my workspace to a workspace that was stored before the appearance of paint tools... they vanished.

When you right click in the left tool bar you get the option to "show all tools in this section", but there is no option to "show all sections", therefore I was never able to get the paint tools section back.

Today I tried "Reset this page to default" in the Windows menu. This brought the paint tools back in sculpt room.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic