3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

Just in case my last post on this thread was overlooked because there were too many words and not enough pictures, here's a simple illustration:

A 30x30 voxel cube and a 30x30 surface cube are created in the sculpt workspace. Then in the retopo room I try to add a 30x30 cube. All these cubes should be the same size, but they're not.  Surely different workspaces shouldn't have different scales. 1 unit should be the same in Sculpt, Retopo, Modeling, etc..

**Edit** If you glance over my previous message about this, the scaling issue applies to spheres, cones, etc...

Regards,

Derek

image.png.42d8014499af9ab0634764389b333701.png 

Edited by DMG
addition/referencing of extra info.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Contributor
On 8/30/2022 at 9:07 AM, Silas Merlin said:

I still have this most annoying issue with the add/split tool slowly disintegrating in a session until it becomes unuseable and the session has to be ender and the file reopened.

Me too, the White Balls vanish with the Add/Split tool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor

Hi. In the Modelling Room:

-Align Vertex Tool: Circle,Sphere do not work, align to curve is cool.

-Curves: Snap to Center does not work, very important snap, especially for circles and lines

Stay strong! :brush:

Edited by Ctc_nick

On 8/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, Allabulle said:

could we Linux users have a little love from the developers?

Hi, Allabulle! Everyone in Pilgway is using only Windows. I have 2 Macs, and since some point, the native installation of Ubuntu is not working properly on either of them. So to give love to Linux users requires a lot of effort from me. Under Windows 11 on one of my Macs, I have installed and configured WSL with Ubuntu. Then I built the latest "3DCoat 2022.43" under it:

https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/links-Linux.html

• Thanks 1

• Contributor

@SERGYI Thanks for the explanation (and the build!!). It's very appreciated.

Still, I didn't ask for a native Linux port of the application. You did offer it. And that's why I bought it in the first place. So I don't know what to say, here. Sincerely, is there any way we can help out with the Linux builds? I'll gladly help if that meant we could get parity with Windows builds, for sure. Truly.

It's a bit inconvenient to have to wait long periods of time for a build with solved bugs that are already fixed (since there are available in other platforms (mostly Windows)). Those bug fixes are really helpful and not having them fixed in our software build affects our ability to work properly with our license of 3DCoat.

If you will not have a machine dedicated to make those builds (I'm assuming you may have a very good reason for such apparently self imposed hindrance that escapes me) I understand that, therefore, it can be more difficult to produce new builds, yes. As stated before, I don't know how to help with that from my end. Please do tell if there's a way. Maybe WSL can finally work its magic and lets you code, compile and also have some time to rest! :)

Maybe, then, a weekly build with the bugs fixed could do? I don't know if that'd be feasible.

I imagine that while new tools are being developed, published as Beta, tested and refined, not having a machine to compile new builds daily or every few days can be more complicated for you. But certainly wouldn't hurt us to be able to also test those tools. And yet I would absolutely appreciate the bug squashing releases! They seem to appear mixed, though: new builds appear with bug fixes AND new tools or workflows implemented. Not sure how'd that work.

Lately, you have managed to kill bugs at a really fast pace. The community seems engaged, reporting and testing. And that's a very good thing: the software is becoming way more stable,  predictable and the users more confident: if something isn't working you fix it rather quickly! That's great! I only wish we wouldn't have to wait for months to get those bugs fixed. :)

All that aside: In this monumentally difficult times in your country, asking for anything to you feels wrong. So I won't. I can, however, suggest or query if there's anything we can do to help improve your ability to produce builds at a cadence closer to the "main" one. That's it. I do, nonetheless, absolutely accept the situation as it is. And I can't imagine how do you manage to stay productive, innovating and fixing this fantastic software while keeping your sanity at the same time. I'm in awe.

To reiterate, in synthesis, just in case: I'm NOT complaining. I accept how things are. Just expressing some concern and offering to help if that can be done. Just that. I'm grateful you are developing builds for Linux for us to enjoy.

So there, thanks so much, for the software and for communicating openly the state of things around the development of your software.

My best wishes to you, your team, family and friends.

Edited by Allabulle
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Just saw this in release notes :

- Measure tool cleaned up, better visible marks, rotated text that does not intersect with the measure line, possibility to turn off subdivision marks.

I reminded me of something. I did not pay much attention lately, but I think people have started using curves like "grease pencil" to sketch a shape in 3d space ?
I remember long ago attempting to do this with the measure tool, with the intent to snap to it when creating polygons in retopo room.
The experiment failed because it was not possible to predict where the measure tool would create a point in empty space.
Again I have not been paying close attention, but if the recent work has been done for the curves to be placed as the user intends in 3d space, maybe this could be extended to the measure tool ? The reason being that curves are quite an endeavour to understand and make use of, kind of cumbersome, whereas measure tool is pretty fast and straightforward to make use of.

Please ignore if this makes no sense.

EDIT :
hmm, checked measure tool just now, it does not seem to be possible to snap to meature tool with add/split. I don't know if that is something that existed before or not. can't remember ?

Edited by Silas Merlin

• Reputable Contributor

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a search box for tools, similar to the old spacebar menu in Blender ?
search results could include both actual tools and menu items.

Also I think I asked for this many times over the years : a search field to filter through smart materials (and shaders, really)

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 1:53 PM, retutca said:

Thanks so much for your help Andrew! I sent you the project file...

Andrew and 3dcoat team!!! IT'S WOOORK with 2022.45!!! Thank you!!! All UV Maps perfect!!!

image.thumb.png.858eef85fbdba7d7303cf524bd894dd9.png

...previously generated an error if there were multiple uv maps: 

image.thumb.png.e4ab5913bb4496fbb892305c3df3d465.png

Edited by retutca
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Just saw this in release notes :

- Measure tool cleaned up, better visible marks, rotated text that does not intersect with the measure line, possibility to turn off subdivision marks.

I reminded me of something. I did not pay much attention lately, but I think people have started using curves like "grease pencil" to sketch a shape in 3d space ?
I remember long ago attempting to do this with the measure tool, with the intent to snap to it when creating polygons in retopo room.
The experiment failed because it was not possible to predict where the measure tool would create a point in empty space.
Again I have not been paying close attention, but if the recent work has been done for the curves to be placed as the user intends in 3d space, maybe this could be extended to the measure tool ? The reason being that curves are quite an endeavour to understand and make use of, kind of cumbersome, whereas measure tool is pretty fast and straightforward to make use of.

Please ignore if this makes no sense.

EDIT :
hmm, checked measure tool just now, it does not seem to be possible to snap to meature tool with add/split. I don't know if that is something that existed before or not. can't remember ?

There is option for snapping in Measure tool. And it snaps in 3D (in comparison to older snapping). So now it is much more useful.

• Thanks 2

• Advanced Member

also when you do autopo you get polygroups... you cant delete them... they just hang around , i have to keep disabling each polygroup and then remesh again and if that goes wrong i have to be back to square one and it hangs and lags for a while...

some of the ui is so confusing...

Edited by Elemeno

On 9/2/2022 at 9:09 PM, Allabulle said:

Thanks for the explanation (and the build!!).

Thanks, Allabulle, for your feedback and your understanding. Actually, I was planning to buy an additional dedicated machine for Linux builds/development. But the war has changed that plan. I don't want to purchase any things now. So in the nearest future WSL on my existing machines will be the tool for Linux builds.

• Thanks 1

• Contributor
5 hours ago, SERGYI said:

Thanks, Allabulle, for your feedback and your understanding. Actually, I was planning to buy an additional dedicated machine for Linux builds/development. But the war has changed that plan. I don't want to purchase any things now. So in the nearest future WSL on my existing machines will be the tool for Linux builds.

Alright. Hopefully with the WSL implemented and working you'll be able to increase the cadence of the Linux builds. I don't think I have to make any mental gymnastics to understand why there might be a lot to consider for any number of reasons as to not buy a computer right now.

By the way, if the matter is a question of availability or resources to procure one, would it be feasible to donate or send you one? Just an idea, but possibly doable. If this, or a similar arrangement could be made, please say so. In private if preferred, of course. You can message me and I'll send you my contact details.

Thanks again, @SERGYI and the team.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Hello! ver 0.45

Could you try to snap the ends together to a triangle. I provide this test file. I hope it helps.

It was working pretty long, then it was working strange, and now it does not.

I tried deleting options.xml but it must be somewhere else. Sometimes the curve cursor jumps in viewer direction or reaally far away.:search:

All the Best!

image.png.59e54931c3d7a73b6784f0caa1751d7a.png

curve_snap.3b

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 9/5/2022 at 12:56 AM, Elemeno said:

remesh_autopo.thumb.jpg.5cfda2e137c1acf6ea172d98bed72d60.jpg

remeshing a sphere gives some weird artifacts

remesh_autopo2.thumb.jpg.fd11b8052191a3ab43b925051bbd235c.jpg

To be honest, I would suggest using a much smoother version (lower resolution duplicate of the voxel object) of any Sculpt object that has a lot of sculpting details. The reason is, those tiny little bumps and cracks make the Autopo algorithm think it has to create a lot of extra geometry, when you normally want it to be relatively simple topology and not so cluttered (normal/displacement maps can recreate those details in the low poly baking target). Granted, those holes are a concern, but I find they rarely occur. If they are not so rare for you, please notify support@pilgway.com so Andrew can resolve it.

On 9/5/2022 at 7:58 PM, Allabulle said:

Hopefully with the WSL implemented and working you'll be able to increase the cadence of the Linux builds.

Sometimes source code of "3DCoat" is not possible to build outside Windows because of substantial changes that our programmers make only under Windows. That requires some work from me to make "3DCoat" cross-compatible again. But when "3DCoat" will be possible to build under Mac, I will build it under WSL in sync. Thanks for your offer, Allabulle.

• Thanks 2

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic