3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Contributor

Linux build still not working because system lacks a specific (obsolete) python library.

3DCoat 2022.48 and 2022.49 don't work.

3DCoat 2022.47 works fine.

Edit: There must be a way that we can run 3DCoat in Linux besides absolute vanilla Ubuntu LTS.

Edited by Allabulle
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

hello. I have an issue. 

I can not use "camera snapping 45 degree" in V2022  after I installed v2022.49.

old 2022 version too.  when I push SHIFT key, it does't response.

probably  the preference data or the navigation preset data changed.

does someone have same issue?

• Advanced Member

trim adaptive has trim dynamic in the tools options... could we get dynamic and adaptive made seperate please?

i know this can be done easily replicating but people coming from other software might be confused by this..

i love how custom each tool can be made but i find myself tinkering hours with a tool just to get a right result...

im still yet to find a smoothing tool that smooths the average and keep edges without destroying the shape ive just achieved...

On 10/29/2022 at 2:49 PM, Allabulle said:

Linux build still not working because system lacks a specific (obsolete) python library.

3DCoat 2022.48 and 2022.49 don't work.

3DCoat 2022.47 works fine.

Edit: There must be a way that we can run 3DCoat in Linux besides absolute vanilla Ubuntu LTS.

I use LTS, but 22.04 not 20.04, does not work here either.

• Thanks 1

I was under 3D Coat 2022.47 and updated to 2022.49 hoping one bug that was making 3DCoat would be fixed.

I'm on Linux so I got the same problem with the python library missing, it seems most of the distro are not providing python 3.8, so I simply created a symbolic link of a newer version and it worked:

#ln -s /usr/lib/libpython3.10.so.1.0 /usr/lib/libpython3.8.so.1.0

I can lunch the new version but I still have the same bug.
I basically can't use the file explorer.
While trying to save/open a file, 3DCoat crash when there the browser is displaying a file in the folder.

For example if I'm looking to load or save a project, I can browse in folder casually, but if I have a project file in the folder I'm opening it crashes.

If I want to open a background image, when I'm going into a folder with picture it crashes.

Is there anywhere I could find logs maybe? My terminal is not returning anything more than what it returned at the lunch of the app.

EDIT: I found a log in the preferences folder, I deleted the folder and restart 3DCoat to have something clean, but I can't find anything relevant in it. I attached it to the message in case someone can find something.

EDIT: I tried under an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS VM and indeed there is python 3.8 installed directly. And no file browser crash.
I'm still trying to figure out why it's crashing on my computer (Arch under kernel 6.0.5-arch1-1)

Log.txt

23 minutes ago, StriderX said:

If you are running ArchLinux you can install python38 from the AUR. This worked for me 

This still doesn't solve the problem of linking directly to libpython3.8.so.1.0.

As I said, for python 3.8 I just symlinked 3.10 and it works great. I don't need to install 3.8 for that. I still installed 3.8 in case to avoid any unwanted bugs, but I was pretty sure it wasn't related to my bug with the browser. I still have to dig in it but I can't find any log to tell me why it's crashing.

• Contributor

Well, there's other things going on in my system and I wouldn't want to mess with libraries just for 3DCoat. There are ways the developers can improve this situation for sure. I'm confident we'll get those and be able to use newer builds of 3DCoat.

If not, well, that'll be it for me. 3DCoat-2022.47 still works, so for now I'll just use that version. A pity, though.

• Advanced Member
On 10/30/2022 at 10:08 AM, jene said:

hello. I have an issue. 

I can not use "camera snapping 45 degree" in V2022  after I installed v2022.49.

old 2022 version too.  when I push SHIFT key, it does't response.

probably  the preference data or the navigation preset data changed.

does someone have same issue?

Excuse me,  I used "Reset to default setting".  the issue is settled.  Thank you.

• Like 1

So I installed a fresh instance of Arch, went for gnome to be sure to not have a WM related bug, and I have the same bug.

3DCoat is crashing when it's showing a file in the file manager. I attached a small video to show the behavior.

I suppose there is a dependency that needs to be filled, but I still can't find any error for the crash.

On 11/4/2022 at 1:54 PM, Cuissedemouche said:

So I installed a fresh instance of Arch, went for gnome to be sure to not have a WM related bug, and I have the same bug.

3DCoat is crashing when it's showing a file in the file manager. I attached a small video to show the behavior.

I suppose there is a dependency that needs to be filled, but I still can't find any error for the crash.

To stop blaming "PNG" I have built 2 special executables for you without the library "PNG" inside:
https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Linux-No-Png/3dcoat-no-png-simple-dialog.zip
Download the archive into existing "~/3DCoat-2022.49" which contains "3dcoat". Then unzip it:
$ unzip 3dcoat-no-png-simple-dialog.zip
Make the 2 new files executable:
$ chmod u+x 3dcoat-no-png
$ chmod u+x 3dcoat-no-png-simple-dialog
Run "./3dcoat-no-png". It will not be able to load a bunch of icons because they are in "PNG" files. But all the icons are in their places, and they are clickable regardless of whether they are invisible. Therefore, you will be able to click the invisible icon "Camera" in the top-right corner of the viewport. Then select "Background". Then "Ref image for X-axis". I suspect that the behavior will be the same as it was in the normal executable which includes the library "PNG". To furthermore isolate the problem, I have built another special executable for you "./3dcoat-no-png-simple-dialog". The file dialog inside "3DCoat" has been replaced with the simplest code taken from the GTK official site. The code doesn't modify the file dialog class in any way. It simply calls a couple of lines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 2:28 AM, Allabulle said:

The last Linux build (2022.48) doesn't work in Manjaro due probably to more up to date python version installed than Ubuntu's. I'll figure out how to work around it.

Thanks for the build, though! :good:

Edit: Build 2022.47 still works, though. Now I'm confused. @SERGYI Could you  please take a look if it works fine? Have python requirements changed in 2022.48? Thanks!

Edit: My system has Python 3.10.7. 3Dcoat's build 2022.47 works fine with it, as stated. But build 2022.48 complains that it misses Python 3.8

The "Python" dependency was added since "48". I will try to statically link with "Python" to get rid of the dependency.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, SERGYI said:

To stop blaming "PNG" I have built 2 special executables for you without the library "PNG" inside:
https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Linux-No-Png/3dcoat-no-png-simple-dialog.zip
Download the archive into existing "~/3DCoat-2022.49" which contains "3dcoat". Then unzip it:
$ unzip 3dcoat-no-png-simple-dialog.zip
Make the 2 new files executable:
$ chmod u+x 3dcoat-no-png
$ chmod u+x 3dcoat-no-png-simple-dialog
Run "./3dcoat-no-png". It will not be able to load a bunch of icons because they are in "PNG" files. But all the icons are in their places, and they are clickable regardless of whether they are invisible. Therefore, you will be able to click the invisible icon "Camera" in the top-right corner of the viewport. Then select "Background". Then "Ref image for X-axis". I suspect that the behavior will be the same as it was in the normal executable which includes the library "PNG". To furthermore isolate the problem, I have built another special executable for you "./3dcoat-no-png-simple-dialog". The file dialog inside "3DCoat" has been replaced with the simplest code taken from the GTK official site. The code doesn't modify the file dialog class in any way. It simply calls a couple of lines.

So, I didn't expect it to work since I also have a crash when there is a scene file, obj or whatever other file (so couldn't open a saved scene), but both the executable you shared to me are working.

I can open a save without problem, for the picture, when I'm opening it the file dialog is closing, but nothing is loading, but I suppose it's normal since there is not the library for it.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Fantastic work on 3Dcoat recently, particularly the multi resolution, thank you so much

in my usecase I can res e.g. character model very high, tens of millions of polys in only sculpt to apply high-fidelity normals that previously required uv mapped model and 4k+ resolution. Can then just res down and work on other things that require less polys. Keep all information and bake the end result.

I would like to suggest a button for multiresolution something like "Lock top", to temporarily disable adding another resolution level, it's a slight hazard clicking "Res+" versus "Add top", if you are at the maximum resolution your hardware can handle then you're in trouble :blush: it can guard against crashes. Thanks for any consideration

• Thanks 1

• Contributor
1 hour ago, poeboi said:

(...)
I would like to suggest a button for multiresolution something like "Lock top", to temporarily disable adding another resolution level, it's a slight hazard clicking "Res+" versus "Add top", if you are at the maximum resolution your hardware can handle then you're in trouble :blush: it can guard against crashes. Thanks for any consideration

That's a very good idea indeed. I'd like it too.

• Like 2

I haven't had a chance to use 3D Coat for a while, but just recently I downloaded the newest version and played around with it for a while. Two things I noticed with the newest version

The Curves tool in 2022-49 doesn't work as expected. The red balls never appear (regardless of whether the HideRedBalls option is checked.)

The Warp tool can flip the normals of the object being manipulated in a few ways - one easily reproducible example, is to have a Final Angle lower than a Start Angle. The same happens if you rotate more than 360 on any axis.

That being said - 3D Coat is great! I love all the new features and improvements. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2022 at 4:43 PM, Cuissedemouche said:

So, I didn't expect it to work since I also have a crash when there is a scene file, obj or whatever other file (so couldn't open a saved scene), but both the executable you shared to me are working.

I can open a save without problem, for the picture, when I'm opening it the file dialog is closing, but nothing is loading, but I suppose it's normal since there is not the library for it.

Please contact me by email: sergkryzh AT gmail DOT com.

• Advanced Member

Hi there !

I found a few issues in the 2022.47 (paint room) :

1 - if you use a stencil and distort it, then the distorted stencil is ignored when you paint, 3DCoat seems to use the non-distorted image instead

2 - if you use the fill tool in gradient mode, with the fade gradient option, you can't fill only rough/metalness properties, you need to have also the color activated

Both were possible to do before, I don't remember when this changed though (sorry =X)

Both are possible to do through another way, in case someone needs to do these actions :

1 - distort a copy of the stencil directly as a texture (open the default tile object>import your texture as a color map>play with smudge tool to achieve desired distortion>export back as a new image and use it as a stencil)

2 - activate both color &
rough/metalness modes, fill your layer, then set opacity to 0% (only opacity, not rough/metalness opacity. This will only remove the color)

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic