3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

Hi :)

I've tested the new Multires Feature with "Add the lowest level from Retopo room" 

Steps:

added the Highres to the sculpt Room -> hit Autopo -> hit "Add the lowest level from Retopo room" 

I m getting this result on every Surface Mesh.

image.thumb.png.c6b2ed65ff54bf815ee441332902d2e2.png

Edited by Daffyd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
21 hours ago, tcwik said:

2022.50 double click don't cut/hide mesh :[  ..come on man this is basic..

image.png.0bcaae018fd71859533d521af28b5960.png

This is probably a result of a "fix" in build 50, relating to Missing tablet strokes after double tapping the cursor point. Maybe Andrew can fix his recent fix. :D
3DCoat-2022-50 
Thu Nov 17 01:05:11 2022 +0200

- Fixed problems related to unicode names of the files.

- Fixed problem of thin surfaces for molding tool, free period for the molding tool extended till the end of 2022.

- Missing tablet strokes which start from double-tap under Windows

- Constraint angle for E-mode shapes rotation with ALT+CTRL placed in preferences->Tools

- Alt may rotate the E-mode shapes: ellipse, rectangle, lasso. CTRL+ALT may be used to constraint the rotation. Space moves the shape in screen space.

- Fixed problem related to voxel primitives (sometimes adding had no effect)

- The retopo mesh may be used as the lowest multiresolution level.

- Adding the lowest multiresolution level completely rewritten to ensure good quality of details transition from low level and backward. Undo issues fixed.
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, AbnRanger said:
This is probably a result of a "fix" in build 50, relating to Missing tablet strokes after double tapping the cursor point. Maybe Andrew can fix his recent fix. :D
3DCoat-2022-50 
Thu Nov 17 01:05:11 2022 +0200

- Fixed problems related to unicode names of the files.

- Fixed problem of thin surfaces for molding tool, free period for the molding tool extended till the end of 2022.

- Missing tablet strokes which start from double-tap under Windows

- Constraint angle for E-mode shapes rotation with ALT+CTRL placed in preferences->Tools

- Alt may rotate the E-mode shapes: ellipse, rectangle, lasso. CTRL+ALT may be used to constraint the rotation. Space moves the shape in screen space.

- Fixed problem related to voxel primitives (sometimes adding had no effect)

- The retopo mesh may be used as the lowest multiresolution level.

- Adding the lowest multiresolution level completely rewritten to ensure good quality of details transition from low level and backward. Undo issues fixed.

no he means double clicking to end a cut ... which takes last position and first and auto connects and completes cut

• Reputable Contributor

I know retopo room is not designed for anything above 50k, but... could this be improved ?
I do have workarounds, but lately it has become very painful.
Here is how you can see the problem :
place two meshes on separate polygroups in retopo room with a total of polygons above 500k quads (or 1M tris), preferably on same uv-set
Now, try to click on the polygroup that is not currently active : 3d-Coat becomes unresponsive, for many minutes.
so, it is possible but it takes a lot of time. Now... try to rename a polygroup (by double clicking on it)... You may achieve to get the text field popup, but you will have to try several times and you have to wait several minutes every time.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Is this kind of texture display normal? I have simple jeans smart material applied for testing, and the texture is moired/aliased, unusable for visual estimation once tiled more.

I bring this texture into Marmoset view port or Substance Painter, and it displays properly. Does 3D Coat have no proper Texture Filtering? I am surprised. Or am I doing something wrong? I have "linear filtering" enabled, but I guess it is of course not bilinear or trilinear or even anisotropic. This kind of display makes it impossible to estimate results targeting offline renders and game engines using texture filtering. Hope I am overlooking something.

Or could it be that 3D Coat is simply not using Mip Maps?

image.thumb.png.4cc234177b5cfe40a463d8dd8aeb4b1d.png
image.thumb.png.df5376f989119a2f064aab46915a5c6c.png

image.thumb.png.c85217e91f5ff1c74fca328530d418bc.png

Edited by Henry Townshend

• Advanced Member
45 minutes ago, Henry Townshend said:

Is this kind of texture display normal? I have simple jeans smart material applied for testing, and the texture is moired/aliased, unusable for visual estimation once tiled more.

I bring this texture into Marmoset view port or Substance Painter, and it displays properly. Does 3D Coat have no proper Texture Filtering? I am surprised. Or am I doing something wrong? I have "linear filtering" enabled, but I guess it is of course not bilinear or trilinear or even anisotropic. This kind of display makes it impossible to estimate results targeting offline renders and game engines using texture filtering. Hope I am overlooking something.

Or could it be that 3D Coat is simply not using Mip Maps?

image.thumb.png.4cc234177b5cfe40a463d8dd8aeb4b1d.png
image.thumb.png.df5376f989119a2f064aab46915a5c6c.png

image.thumb.png.c85217e91f5ff1c74fca328530d418bc.png

all of what you just said isnt making much sense...

whats your file sizes? and how many times are you tiling... tiling doesnt work the same on 3dcoat,painter etc as it would on ue5 etc

• Advanced Member
49 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

all of what you just said isnt making much sense...

whats your file sizes? and how many times are you tiling... tiling doesnt work the same on 3dcoat,painter etc as it would on ue5 etc

What exactly is it that does not make sense to you and how? Could you please elaborate? How is file size relevant to this? This is obviously a default head from Start Menu with jus a few layers.
How many times am I tiling? : How could I tell? 3D Coat does not have numerical tiling, it only has the zoom on the Smart Material Controls. How would it matter how much tiling it is?

I simply applied a highly tiled(zoomed out) Smart Material in Coat and exported the textures. I do not tile them in other applications, that was not the point. It is not about tiling, but about view port display of the texture at higher tiling(zoom) amounts of Smart Materials inside of 3D Coat. Looking way too sharp. But not an issue and working as you would visually expect in other software.

Again, here a picture of the same flat exported textures from 3D Coat, this time re-imported as external maps via texture menu, giving me the same moired/aliased view of the texture, simply because it has high frequency small pattern.

image.thumb.png.3dd1c7a75ca05f2c73d115e1a34475f9.png

On 11/20/2022 at 2:21 PM, Henry Townshend said:

What exactly is it that does not make sense to you and how? Could you please elaborate? How is file size relevant to this? This is obviously a default head from Start Menu with jus a few layers.
How many times am I tiling? : How could I tell? 3D Coat does not have numerical tiling, it only has the zoom on the Smart Material Controls. How would it matter how much tiling it is?

I simply applied a highly tiled(zoomed out) Smart Material in Coat and exported the textures. I do not tile them in other applications, that was not the point. It is not about tiling, but about view port display of the texture at higher tiling(zoom) amounts of Smart Materials inside of 3D Coat. Looking way too sharp. But not an issue and working as you would visually expect in other software.

Again, here a picture of the same flat exported textures from 3D Coat, this time re-imported as external maps via texture menu, giving me the same moired/aliased view of the texture, simply because it has high frequency small pattern.

image.thumb.png.3dd1c7a75ca05f2c73d115e1a34475f9.png

The proper texture filtering is in render room. In paint room there is no mip-mapping now to speed up realtime painting process.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

The proper texture filtering is in render room. In paint room there is no mip-mapping now to speed up realtime painting process.

@Andrew Shpagin Thank you very much for clarifying!

Thanks @Carlosan! Already had Linear Filtering enabled.

This is very surpising. Mip Mapping would be very much needed for proper display of textures that have high frequency. I think the performance cost in this day and age is negligible and it would greatly improve texure visualization as it is standard in other apps. No other texturing app struggles with performance due to mip mapping I think, especially with modern graphic adapters.

In case of this Jeans Material for instance, it is not a pleasure to look at. The same is true with Depth, it renders very sharp due to this lack of Mip Mapping, so depth/normals look always sharper than in other apps, making it harder to precisely estimate the needed crispness.

3D Coats general viewport Quality is amazingly good. This is an oversight though imho. I would vote for this to be integrated. If it might be a problem for sculpt room or other rooms performance wise, then at least for the Paint Room. Otherwise high frequency patterns will mostly display like this, and it is not a joy to work like this unfortunately.

Maybe we could have an option to toggle it on? Like with Aces? Could maybe also be a specific option residing in Paint Room only.

It would be really great, also beneficial for textura, if this gets integrated. Its really crazy that no one seemed to have noticed this or at least has been disturbed by it till now :) I cross fingers that you might also find it important and maybe in case find the time to add it. Really love 3D Coat paint room.

Edited by Henry Townshend
Typo
  • Like 1

Hi,

I've tested the Multires function in the new 2022.51 Version. Retopo as lowest seams to work very well :)

But one thing behaves strange:

If I use the Pose Tool to pose the lowest Multires Mesh, I am not able to use "smooth selection" but the bigger Problem is that it breaks my highest Mulitres Mesh in the deformed area. Maybe the picture explains better what I mean:

multireserror.png

• Thanks 1

Hi. I have tested the fixes in multi resolution.
 So far, using the lower level from retopology is still unstable.  (1) and (2)

But sometimes this button works :) (3)
I delete the first level in the multiresolution because it is unnecessary. For high resolution, I need an even, neat grid - no problem. (3)
The original is only needed if I'm going to do a projection of the parts just as if it were Zbrush (I remember that you can do that in 3d-coat)
The level selection slider is a little weird. I may have clicked it wrong. (3)
I noticed that the flat grid does not give a smooth surface at high levels of resolution!!!(3)
The professional industry will not accept a model with these bumps! This is important, don't ignore it ! The surface must be smooth (3)

The detail transfer between high and low level works correctly now. I hope it continues to work :) (4)

Note how the division (smoothing) works in Zbrush. The surface is perfectly flat, this is also an object from 3d-Coat. (5)

I tried changing the multiresolution to the cylinder. Strange indentations appear on the surface and the edges are smoothed.  This is not acceptable for working with a hard surface (6)

I apologize for some of the videos being long. I do everything spontaneously from the first take, without preparation. I also forgot to turn off the music in the background.:(

• Thanks 2

Yes,  due to Win 7 EOL cycle it is probably not working.

As of January 14, 2020, PCs running Windows 7 no longer receive security updates. Therefore, it's important that you upgrade to a modern operating system such as Windows 11, which can provide the latest security updates to help keep you and your data safer. In addition,

• Thanks 1

Hi Carlosan!

Win7 Ultimate here too. Is this a problem for the trial version only or for the licensed too?

I upgraded my 3dcoat license last December (before Christmas), and I'm planning to extend the license this December too,

but this is a showstopper!

Also, why suddenly have this change, meanwhile the main page advertises that 3dcoat runs on win7?

Add to this that I've paid for a license not expired yet, but can't have my hands on the latest version(build) of 3dcoat?

(Still on 3dcoat 2022.47)

Edited by geoath

• Contributor

Thanks again for recent updates! Best of wishes to Andrew & company

Some more suggestions incoming, sorry :gamer1:
I'd like to make a case for enabling "on plane" mode for 1. Move tool 2. Freeze tool, and also something like "plane only" that is to say, ignoring the surface of the sculpt object and only stroke on plane

Here is a demo of this usecase except using regular planes which allows this with "Through all volumes" option enabled
Not the best examples but I hope I get across how this can be very handy
It enables a behavior something akin to the deform sculpt tool in Blender, except possibly better in some ways

Usecase 1: Move tool strokes from outside sculpt object to deform it irrespective of the actual surface geometry

Usecase 2: Freeze tool strokes from outside sculpt object to freeze with this kind of precision

Now again, it could be very handy if one could also lock the strokes to only be on the planes but also deform the object I think that would be fantastic, would see a lot of use from me, it can offer a lot of control and precision

Thank you for any considerations

*****If it is somehow already possible to use "on plane" with these tools then sorry my bad

Edit: I think being able to constraint to "on plane" mode but still influence a geometry can also be helpful for a lot of other tools, for example the painting tools: painting constrained to a plane and it would map to the mesh exactly where painted from that view, et cetera.

Edited by poeboi
  • Like 1

Hello.  I have problem with pressure sencetivity, because 3D coat dont detect my stylus. Im using huion h950p, on linux mint with oficial drivers

Environment variable "COAT_PEN" = empty
(define the name of your stylus input device from the list below)
Environment variable "COAT_ERASER" = empty
(define the name of your eraser input device from the list below)
Environment variable "COAT_MOUSE" = empty
(define the name of your mouse input device from the list below)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Input Devices (source | "name" | mode)
1. Mouse    "Virtual core XTEST pointer"        Disabled  
2. Mouse    "Logitech Wireless Mouse PID:4022"  Disabled  
3. Mouse    "Logitech Wireless Keyboard PID:4023"Disabled 
4. Mouse    "ELAN1200:00 04F3:30BA Mouse"       Disabled  
5. Mouse    "ELAN1200:00 04F3:30BA Touchpad"    Disabled  
6. Mouse    "Huion mouse"                       Disabled  
7. Pen      "HUION 256C PEN STYLUS Pen (0)"     Disabled  
8. Mouse    "Core Pointer"                      Screen    
connect failed: Нет такого файла или каталога
Space Navigator daemon for 3Dconnexion devices: NOT found
Install Space Navigator daemon with Terminal command:
sudo apt install spacenavd

• Contributor
1 hour ago, zorg said:

Hello.  I have problem with pressure sencetivity, because 3D coat dont detect my stylus. Im using huion h950p, on linux mint with oficial drivers

Environment variable "COAT_PEN" = empty
(define the name of your stylus input device from the list below)
Environment variable "COAT_ERASER" = empty
(define the name of your eraser input device from the list below)
Environment variable "COAT_MOUSE" = empty
(define the name of your mouse input device from the list below)
Input Devices (source | "name" | mode)
1. Mouse    "Virtual core XTEST pointer"        Disabled  
2. Mouse    "Logitech Wireless Mouse PID:4022"  Disabled  
3. Mouse    "Logitech Wireless Keyboard PID:4023"Disabled 
4. Mouse    "ELAN1200:00 04F3:30BA Mouse"       Disabled  
5. Mouse    "ELAN1200:00 04F3:30BA Touchpad"    Disabled  
6. Mouse    "Huion mouse"                       Disabled  
7. Pen      "HUION 256C PEN STYLUS Pen (0)"     Disabled  
8. Mouse    "Core Pointer"                      Screen    
connect failed: Нет такого файла или каталога
Space Navigator daemon for 3Dconnexion devices: NOT found
Install Space Navigator daemon with Terminal command:
sudo apt install spacenavd

Hi,

have you tried this yet?

In your case, it probably should be:

export COAT_PEN="HUION 256C PEN STYLUS Pen (0)"

Edited by Allabulle
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

is it possible to get a preserve edges modifier for surface brushes...  something where we can adjust the angle of affect... so we can we can adjust based on the sharpness of the angle and that way the brush wont affect anything next to it that is 30 degrees on an angle.. so if were doing polishing it would be nice to not use 5+ brushes to just about get the effect i want ..

• Advanced Member
Just now, Elemeno said:

is it possible to get a preserve edges modifier for surface brushes...  something where we can adjust the angle of affect... so we can we can adjust based on the sharpness of the angle and that way the brush wont affect anything next to it that is 30 degrees on an angle.. so if were doing polishing it would be nice to not use 5+ brushes to just about get the effect i want ..

also does anyone know if this is already in the works or theres a development portal with a roadmap so we can see whats being worked on , would make reporting bugs or development requests alot easier...

Hello, does exporting works for you guys? I just installed the 2022.52 (Win10, 8c Ryzen, 64gb RAM, 2070S) and every time I try to export a +/- dense fbx (>300k polys) 3dc crashes (shows a window "the program became unstable and will crash"). If I save the scene and open it in 4.9.72 it exports fine. Exporting obj/collada exports broken geometry (floating parts of the original object).

Also Airbrush in Invert Mode freezes the 2022.52.

Anything I could try..?

On 11/22/2022 at 3:50 PM, control said:

Hi. I have tested the fixes in multi resolution.
 So far, using the lower level from retopology is still unstable.  (1) and (2)

But sometimes this button works :) (3)
I delete the first level in the multiresolution because it is unnecessary. For high resolution, I need an even, neat grid - no problem. (3)
The original is only needed if I'm going to do a projection of the parts just as if it were Zbrush (I remember that you can do that in 3d-coat)
The level selection slider is a little weird. I may have clicked it wrong. (3)
I noticed that the flat grid does not give a smooth surface at high levels of resolution!!!(3)
The professional industry will not accept a model with these bumps! This is important, don't ignore it ! The surface must be smooth (3)

The detail transfer between high and low level works correctly now. I hope it continues to work :) (4)

Note how the division (smoothing) works in Zbrush. The surface is perfectly flat, this is also an object from 3d-Coat. (5)

I tried changing the multiresolution to the cylinder. Strange indentations appear on the surface and the edges are smoothed.  This is not acceptable for working with a hard surface (6)

I apologize for some of the videos being long. I do everything spontaneously from the first take, without preparation. I also forgot to turn off the music in the background.:(

Thanks, fixed almost all. In last case the valance is problematic. Regular cylinder primitive works correctly with multires, verts valence is 6.

• Thanks 2

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic