3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2022 development thread

1 hour ago, Artary said:

Hi.

I have just now (30 minutes ago) purchased 3D Coat 2021 and the link in the email takes me to a page containing a link to download 2021.21 and my account page contains various versions of 2021 up to 2021.21 as the latest available.

I thought I would take a quick look on the forums to check that the latest version has any issues before downloading. I see that there is a 2021.22 version linked on this thread.

I'm just wondering which version I should download and why my account doesn't show 2021.22 ? Is it perhaps a Beta version ?

Builds in this thread are posted on daily basis, at least now, at the polishing stage. Sometimes we put them on the download page. 21 and 22 are generally identical except icon sizes. Fixes made for 22 included in 21 as well. For the future I recommend builds from this thread, if they are not marked as [beta]. If I mark build as beta it means I done something risky there.

• Thanks 3

Quick update on my earlier blend layer post - it turns out the problem is only when I am painting on an object directly on top of a shader - like a skin shader or default clay. If I create a new layer, fill it with colour, the layers above it blend fine. This is on both Mac and Windows.

• Thanks 1

Really miss the live clay crease tool. Is there any way to get that back? It takes a lot of work around to get the same effect . It was my most common tool for marking out the zones in a model and then building grim there . It would translate very well for details too. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, ThomasJohann said:

Really miss the live clay crease tool. Is there any way to get that back? It takes a lot of work around to get the same effect . It was my most common tool for marking out the zones in a model and then building grim there . It would translate very well for details too. 

716689340_bandicam2021-08-0702-08-16-456.thumb.jpg.8cd42e89fc1c655df0fe0946f6b2fb5e.jpg2060900952_bandicam2021-08-0702-08-20-049.thumb.jpg.9287ba4fa134dc2e2bced9e4d4cfc5f3.jpg

Activate Subdivision on the Draw brush and add a Pinch Modifier. It should feel similar.
The feeling is slightly different depending on the order of the modifier, so please test it once.
I am using it by registering in Preset. :)

Edited by Yousung
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ThomasJohann said:

Hello, people who miss crease clay. Here I'm trying to get it back. Hope this help.

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
11 hours ago, ThomasJohann said:

It is basically the standard PINCH brush (Surface mode), but with Dynamic Tessellation applied. So, you can enable SUBDIVISION in the Tool Options panel for the same effect.

• Thanks 2

• Advanced Member
On 8/6/2021 at 4:38 AM, Silas Merlin said:

sorry no it does not work for me, I did not think it through, all I meant was that 3d-Coat would not let you leave the retopo room without adding uv's, and I thought you were complaining about the possibilitiy of ending up in the paint room without, which is impossible, that is all.

As for uv's like these, 3d-Coat does have them, but they are well hidden, and, granted, not in a primitive.

this won't help you, but just so you know
In the video, please note that nothing seems to happen when I click ok to import : that is because upon import in the paint room, the object is invisible, but it is there, trust me :)
you can do the same thing for the cylinder.

EDIT :
It might be possible to drag the resulting object into the retopo models panel to create the primitives you want with this kind of uv's.
However, 3d-Coat "SL objects" are very fragile, at least they were in 4.9
They break easily probably because of the odd unwrapping that 3d-Coat is not used to working with. you might lose triangles at the poles of the sphere for example.

Ah do not mind , you not say wrong anything.  as you said I understand what you means...

I usually model in blender ^^; (so as basic I always forget I need to set UV for those simple primitives..then sometimes feel annoying why it simply come with default UV about base auto generate primitives.. 3d coat offer many options for 3d 2d primitives, so if it come clean default UV,, I really do not think about UV when I add them.. 

yes I think I can add those as model with UV for 3d coat and can make library for the purpose (though I still not try many modeling with 3d coat)  but we already have adjustable 3d primitives tool in 3d coat (and it is powerful) . so just request if it auto come with UV only about auto generate primitives. 

(and for modeling we may mainly use retopo and modeling room, so bake is final step for me,,,, but I often check UV when I modeling (maybe I change my thinking way for 3d coat..but for me I usually do UV , do model , at same time..so everytime think about 2 room is somehow annoying just to check UV for prim.. but I like 3d coat always. . 

20 minutes ago, tokikake said:

Ah do not mind , you not say wrong anything.  as you said I understand what you means...

I usually model in blender ^^; (so as basic I always forget I need to set UV for those simple primitives..then sometimes feel annoying why it simply come with default UV about base auto generate primitives.. 3d coat offer many options for 3d 2d primitives, so if it come clean default UV,, I really do not think about UV when I add them.. 

yes I think I can add those as model with UV for 3d coat and can make library for the purpose (though I still not try many modeling with 3d coat)  but we already have adjustable 3d primitives tool in 3d coat (and it is powerful) . so just request if it auto come with UV only about auto generate primitives. 

(and for modeling we may mainly use retopo and modeling room, so bake is final step for me,,,, but I often check UV when I modeling (maybe I change my thinking way for 3d coat..but for me I usually do UV , do model , at same time..so everytime think about 2 room is somehow annoying just to check UV for prim.. but I like 3d coat always. . 

Generally, we plan to improve automapper so that it will produce really good maps completely automatically, so not sure that even seams will be required. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

It should work. Ensure that hotkey is not lost.

'V' key did not work for me.

So I rebind the key, hit 'END' then 'V', saw a message said that key is already used for "Pick Color/Depth/Grossiness". Then I ignored that, pressed "Redefine" then it's back to work.

Something wrong for key binding.

• Contributor
4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

It should work. Ensure that hotkey is not lost.

No, Colour picking does not work at all on vertex colour (it works fine on everything else, even outside 3d-Coat window, which is awesome).
In 4.9 colour picking on vertex colour started not working very well long ago (you had to press the hotkey repeatedly until it eventually worked)
Now, in 2021 it seems to not work at all on vertex colour, no matter how many times you press the hotkey.

• Contributor
4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Generally, we plan to improve automapper so that it will produce really good maps completely automatically, so not sure that even seams will be required. 

First of all, please note that I have not tested this in 2021 yet, but from your statement I am assuming that no work has been done on the unwrapping yet, so I think this is still valid based on 4.9 ?

Sometimes I use automapping for quick things, but I have found that this is possible only on triangular meshes.
3d-Coat doesn't seem to know how to automatically unwrap it's own quad meshes.
Also, 3d-Coat does not know how to unwrap bevels, whether they come from Blender or from 3d-Coat itself.

Also, when using it on triangular meshes, you have to be extemely careful when editing the result of automapping :
during the initial automapping, 3d-Coat is fairly capable of avoiding self intersecting islands on weird complex islands. However, subsequently the unwrapping method used by the tools in the left tool bar seems entirely different, and absolutely incapable of avoiding self intersection.
So, if you need to edit the result of automap, you have to be very careful not to use the unwrap button for example, as well as some methods of shuffling the islands. (pack UV2 does not break anything, some of the other methods do).
It is still possible to work with automapping and make it a bit better, you just have to be extremely careful. For example, Automap will often generate very elongated islands that make it impossible to use the 0-1 uv space in an efficient manner. To remedy that, you need to split those islands into several smaller islands, without unwrapping everything.
To achieve this, you need to mark new seams, then select the whole island and press one of the unwrapping methods like GU or ABF for example, in the left tool bar.
After that you can use pack UV2 to rearange the islands and better use the space.
Any use of the "wrong" tool during that process will result in self intersecting islands which are often difficult to detect until you start painting, forcing you to go back and lose work.

As for meshes generated with booleans in Blender, they are very problematic to use in 3d-Coat. I have seen problems arise over and over again on the discord.
One partial solution to this problem would be to automatically "remove ngons" at import of a mesh in 3d-Coat.
Furthermore, serious works would need to be done as to the unwrapping of bevels, which Blender users use profusely.
As it is at present, it is necessary to inspect every single bevel one by one to check for overlap.

Hope this helps and is not too unclear.
Thank you.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2022 development thread