Jump to content
3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2022 development thread


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

And the problem is, (at least for me), when I change voxel per unit >> it effect grid (which usually used to check the length without use measure tool aproximately, or snap to grid)

it change each grid unit ..  There is no merit to change grid size along with voxel per unit , why grid distance change with voxel per unit?  to return it I need to change unit scale too.

gridsize1_00.thumb.JPG.abdc3e43f61fe9d0bbd8ce0180b4ef79.JPG

as you see, I hope to set 1 grid = 1 meter.. (then devide 10 sub grid)

but I hope to change voxel count for per unit .. then change voxels per unit like 10, now 3d coat change grid distance like this

griddensity.thumb.JPG.b7e83601c8d613c7abb856679f9ccff8.JPG

Is there any reason (which may be useful for user) to change grid distance with voxel per unit ?   we use grid to get the mesh size,, so if it change with voxel per unit, 

I need to change grid density .or Unit scale,,  I think grid distance should not change with voxel count per unit... (there is no relation I think)

Though I use Unit scale = voxel per unit, to return grid distance correctly , but I do not know it is good way or not.. (Unit scale may effect something I suppose)

unitscale.thumb.JPG.8272265130493581c17830e1ecf50711.JPG

To get gird distance (eg 1 meter), and set Unit as 1 meter for measurement,  but change voxel count to get reansable dense for voxel,, what is correct way for 3d coat?

Edited by tokikake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
3DCoat-2021-24
Sun Aug 8 21:47:20 2021
 
- Picker tool (that may be activated via the hotkey V) now works correctly over the sculpt layers. It also got additional functionality. First, yo may choose to pick the color from the screen always in the tool settings. Second, even if this option disabled, tap V second time over that same color and second tap will pick the color from the screen. The first tap takes the color from the layer if available.
 
------
Can you just put that function as an option?
It is very confusing when using it.
Reminds me of substance painter's horrible color picker and I want to turn it off...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

Hey ho,

found some issues:

QuickAccess

Add preset to QuickAccess slots doesnt work. After choosing the Slot X Nothing happens to the Quick Panel
I am only able to add the Default Tools in QuickAccess 


Modeling unlinked Sculpt Mesh issue 2021.25:

1 create a Primitive (PolyGroup1), 
2 mesh -> sculpt mesh -> unlink -> PolyGroup1_unlinked is created
3 create new PolyGroup2
4 do the same like PolyGroup1 -> only PolyGroup1 creates copies of itself or nothing happens but every time PolyGroup2_unlinked never will be created


In another project, all previous unlinked sculpt meshes disappear as soon as I create a new one. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce that. And it's not undo-able.

But important is, this bug makes the Modeling-Sculpt Mesh Feature unusable :(

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Contributor
2 hours ago, Yousung said:
3DCoat-2021-24
Sun Aug 8 21:47:20 2021
 
- Picker tool (that may be activated via the hotkey V) now works correctly over the sculpt layers. It also got additional functionality. First, yo may choose to pick the color from the screen always in the tool settings. Second, even if this option disabled, tap V second time over that same color and second tap will pick the color from the screen. The first tap takes the color from the layer if available.
 
------
Can you just put that function as an option?
It is very confusing when using it.
Reminds me of substance painter's horrible color picker and I want to turn it off...

If you uncheck the box there is no confusion because then there is only one action  pick colour from the pixel on the screen itself.

Pick from screen is very useful because it allows you to pick colour even on vertex painting (which did not work well before if at all)
Pick from layer is also useful because it allows you to paint in smooth shading mode and still be able to pick the unshaded colour that is actually painted on the layer.

Now I think this could be made better :
When you choose to pick from screen, it would be more interesting if Coat would still attempt to pick depth, roughness and metal from the layer if it exists.

Also, when you choose to pick from layer, there is the option to pick depth or not, but something is missing : the option to pick metal/roughness or not ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

I add one more request about modeling tools (I think new 2021 offer many interesting tool for modeling, then I hope it will be more improved)

We may often use select >> extrude for modeling, I like to use gizmo for rough modeling  , but when I work for inner faces,, gizmo stop to work.  (I think it is same , when I add primitive, sometimes gizmo stop to scale .. gizmo seems hidden then not work )

set opacity as 0 or change z Bias not help it, (I tried to use wireframe mode, but gizmo still not work .   I may need to move gizmo out of mesh  (it means change center pivot, so I do not)

And I think we need real wire-frame view which can show all edge,  for modeling.  or we can not check covered edge  (if I miss option forgive me pleaese..)

innerpoligon.thumb.JPG.44587d628ddb4cc3e60ec6411f7c81af.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

release .25 says carve tool works but still not working with CTRL and lasso. Cant carve off sections with the lasso tool like before.

Using a standard brush with CTRL carve works but never use this tool like that. Cutting off shaped pieces with the lasso was a great tool when sculpting.

Anyone else having the same issue?

yes could use the cutoff tool which does work but that means switching brushes which is just a bit slower :) 

Reverting back to the old version as use this function a lot. Hope can be fixed soon.

Edited by captainbuckfish
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

If you uncheck the box there is no confusion because then there is only one action  pick colour from the pixel on the screen itself.

Pick from screen is very useful because it allows you to pick colour even on vertex painting (which did not work well before if at all)
Pick from layer is also useful because it allows you to paint in smooth shading mode and still be able to pick the unshaded colour that is actually painted on the layer.

Now I think this could be made better :
When you choose to pick from screen, it would be more interesting if Coat would still attempt to pick depth, roughness and metal from the layer if it exists.

Also, when you choose to pick from layer, there is the option to pick depth or not, but something is missing : the option to pick metal/roughness or not ?

Thanks for the reply.! :)
My main work is non-PBR work. (Handpainted)
I wasn't aware of the usefulness of these features.

However, compared to the previous version,
I found it to be a fairly useful feature.

My work seems to be solved by using a Flat Shade view.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Please try if the build 26 solves all similar issues.

I now can stable transform even though gizmo hidden in back faces with 26. thanks.(all transform gizmo now work for me, without stop with scaling):D

(but do not test full, with change voxel unit etc,)

I really hope 3d coat soon offer way to check back edges. (there should be many case we need to select,  those  hidden verts . edges without turn around view)
with orthographic view we may often transform  back side verts edges, faces.  Projection  wire frame view must need to model precisely. 

(like vase inner etc)

checkinneredge.thumb.JPG.ba2ef229e7f08dec26d672fd9f464df2.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

And I think there seems still clipping issue.. though it seems depend my unit setting.....

I actually can not zoom in (but I do not think it is too small detail) to check small polgion details with full screen.

3d coat usually to stop to zoom in (even though I use ortho graphic view) .. with limit

I set user>prefrecnece near plan modular as 0.001 etc  but can not zoom in any more like this plane size. 

(I do not think I try to tweak and zoom too small polgions) 

zoominlimit.thumb.JPG.9afb2974ab30a8e7d2a56645ff048e26.JPG

No.  I do not think there is way to close up more,. I tried to change geometry setting Unit as mm or change scene scale more large, but after all 3d coat not forigve me to zoom in more. (eg close up narrow edge) 

it cause issue when I use knife tool to set point in small edges. (3d coat can not set point for narrow edges with this zoom view, if it can more zoom in, I suppose it work)

 

if I try same thing in blender, it can zoom almost 0.1 mm unit (I do not feel any limit for zoom with clip setting, and with autographic almost no limit) so can add any loop or cut with real view and edit detail where I need for. 

if it related with my current setting Unit (eg we should set it as cm or mm),I may follow the rule though (if it is clear,, eg we should set unit as cm or mm to zoom in detail), I can manage so.  then hope dev confirm it with attached scene 3b. (at current I keep to use Unit as Meter to easy import blender default unit (though I can change blender unit if it really need)

zoomin.JPG

 

testlimitscene.zip

Edited by tokikake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
8 hours ago, captainbuckfish said:

release .25 says carve tool works but still not working with CTRL and lasso. Cant carve off sections with the lasso tool like before.

Using a standard brush with CTRL carve works but never use this tool like that. Cutting off shaped pieces with the lasso was a great tool when sculpting.

Anyone else having the same issue?

yes could use the cutoff tool which does work but that means switching brushes which is just a bit slower :) 

Reverting back to the old version as use this function a lot. Hope can be fixed soon.

Yes same here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Please try if the build 26 solves all similar issues.

Here is example in WinTab and WindoswInk mode - seems like it works ok in WindowsInk.

Now, as for pressure and strokes, it's kinda works, but strokes and overall viewport and tools panel is a bit laggy at very begining of each stroke. In WinTab still no strokes, at all.

I wondering if all the issues are somewhat connected with OpenGL, as that was the one that was most problematic in V4.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

If I create a polygon model in the model workspace, I should be able to render that model in the render workspace? The conversion of a polygon model to a surface/voxel model is an unnecessary step? Something like 'Show model in Render Room' ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reputable Contributor

I agree.... 

A workaround till the feature is added hopefully.

Render Room:

Settings. Check the box in mark in red in the picture.

The model from the Modeling Room will appear in the render room even though the check box saids "Retopo Mesh"

You do not have to render to a file to see the model...

 

render settings.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, insignet said:

If I create a polygon model in the model workspace, I should be able to render that model in the render workspace? The conversion of a polygon model to a surface/voxel model is an unnecessary step? Something like 'Show model in Render Room' ? 

the best way to do this is to enable option "Sculpt Mesh"

shot.png

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

Ah OK I finally (maybe) manage all scale thing with view...

 I have avoided to change scene scale  (it often issue for me before) , Then  if I set scene scale as 1.00 3d coat can only zoom untill the 1 unit square fit to the view.  so basically the unit define the smallest square which camera can zoom in.   if I set Unit as 1mm,, 3d coat can zoom 1mm square for camera view.   if I set unit as cm , 3d coat can zoom 1cm, Then if I set unit as meter, 3d coat can zoom I meter square full in camera view.  (roughly) then can not zoom any more.

To avoid it, I must need to change scene scale.. (I really do not know what 3d coat change from 4.9),, but at current even though I set scene scale as 100,, 3d coat keep all measurement size about same mesh size.. and grid distance,  so Scene scale seems only matter for current view size.   then If I hope to check more detail (with unit as meter), I only need to change scene scale as 100 or 200 etc. 

100scale.thumb.JPG.68e968a576f8f2dc38c270743e161301.JPG

squarelimit.thumb.JPG.0d35c98d27c446271948232ca12653e2.JPG

Then if I keep to use scene scale 1.00 with unit 1 meter, 3d coat can only zoom for 1m square (so it never work for detail modeling, sculpting)

I suppose that means, when I change unit like meter, I must need to change scene scale too to get detail as zoom (I may use 100 to get 1cm square zoom with 1 meter unit setting)

(Scene scale seems only effect view size, (for zoom in ) but measurement size never change about grid distance and import mesh)

Edited by tokikake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reputable Contributor

To let you know on my end never did have any problems with Scene Scale set and 100 and measurement unit at meters.  

Hopefully at sometime the measurement tool ( left tool bar) will be able when you change units in the tool not change the measurement unit under the Geometry Menu. I want to work at meters but be able to create smaller cm objects. I could do that better if the measurement tool would just measure the unit I am currently using in the measurement tool.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, digman said:

To let you know on my end never did have any problems with Scene Scale set and 100 and measurement unit at meters.  

Hopefully at sometime the measurement tool ( left tool bar) will be able when you change units in the tool not change the measurement unit under the Geometry Menu. I want to work at meters but be able to create smaller cm objects. I could do that better if the measurement tool would just measure the unit I am currently using in the measurement tool.

Yes I know you had recommend to set scene scale as 100.  but I did not understand why I need to change scene scale about that time.  

Because at least for me,  scene scale not effect any geometry size and grid size as measured when import (so imported 2 unit cube should be shown as 2 unit cube ..)  but now I understand, I need to change scene scale, (eg 100 or 10 or 50 ) to zoom in to detail. (so your recommend setting = scene scale as 100 means we can zoom in 0.01 meter square as limit)

I approve we can change mesaurement unit, eg 1m will be shown as 100cm 0.01Meter will be shown as 1cm.  (but it not so huge problem for me,, anyway hope to keep stable )

And I may mainly use Grid to get visual measurement ... (roughly) then if I change voxels per unit, I must need to change grid setting (or unit scale). I still think it is not good. (voxel count should not relate with visual (custom) grid distance,, do not you think so?)

Then as for me,, I  feel at least  3d coat scene scale means almost current view size (because it not effect real measurement size etc)  ^^; (then it may change with camera zoom in out,,, ), so I really do not know why we need to have this setting .. (but it effect max limit of view, So I need to change it with measurement unit),,,  

At same time scene scale change brush size too..  so after I change scene scale as 100 with unit meter,, and  use 1m size brush (1 unit) I need to set brush radius as 100.

(though it seems good for me,,, because I may prefer cm unit brush , then set radius as 1.0 to get 1cm brush is more usual)

  radiuswithscenescale.thumb.JPG.0f7c89ee1a5359f5e907def914af25c0.JPG

Edited by tokikake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

I now try to set plane for box hide tool by 3 point, though I can still drug with R drug each point, but can not se value for each point to set more strictly.

I can input value like x=0.0 but the value not updated even though I click ok...

planesetting.thumb.JPG.402992570d1dd93cf9743646f1d6f02f.JPG

changepoint.thumb.JPG.c75c385f7ad5501c37896a3f0cd88473.JPG

sorry if it already reproted... I can still RMB drug each point, or pick point to set plane , but it not so useful for precise work..

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2022 development thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...