Jump to content
3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2022 development thread


Recommended Posts

  • Member
On 7/20/2022 at 1:00 PM, Silas Merlin said:

use edge loops tool in island selection mode, then click on "copy UV" in the "selected" section.
Then, select a similar island and hit "Paste UV" and do the same for all the other ones.

Thanks a lot, the problem is solved

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Hello,

FEATURE REQUEST: when user clicks middle mouse button over a value, that value will reset to its default value.

For example, you are working with primitives/cylinder, then you change top radius, then you want to reset it, you have to copy/paste bottom radius to top radius or change both of them, instead with a fast middle click on them you reset their values.
Thank you for your time.

Edited by thinkinmonkey
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
Posted (edited)

@Gorbatovsky I am trying to understand something. Maybe you could help me.

I started using the "Align Vertices" tool, which is awesome and works well when aligning vertices planar towards a certain axis.

However, there are two other modes "Circle" and "Sphere". Circle is the one I wanna use, as I assume it aligns a bunch of vertices into a "perfect" circle.

But, when I try to use the tool it says to me I have no faces selected, which confuses me. When I select faces, I of course leave Vertex Select mode and hence have no Vertex align tool at my disposal anymore, cause the tool only shows up if I am in vertex select mode.

image.thumb.png.ef1a6e891b7bcf22c769150b62ab1b68.png

What I am looking for is in the video I attached. In Blender, you can make anything a circle, no matter what you have selected, over the "loop tools" menu (Addon needs to be enabled, it's included by default).

I fail to understand what the Vertices Align tool in 3D Coat expects me to do when it says "No selected face, Sorry".

It seems to me it is impossible to select faces in a tool that expects you to be in vertex select mode. On top, why would it rely on faces being selected?

Maybe I understand the purpose of the "Circle" mode wrong ?

 

Edited by Henry Townshend
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

i wish this software would be more straight forward...

it needs to be simplified so much, ive been using this software a few years now and i still look at it like.... why how?

it really needs looking at and realizing its too complicated for new users

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

im trying to use 3dcoat as my main modelling , sculpting and painting tool but it has a horrible workflow..

parts of the mesh fall away , you need to constantly transfer here or transfer there...

baking high poly isnt a nice experience either..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

painting color picker shows two colors.. one is based off the mesh you look at and the other is the true color when you double tap V

ive tried all variations using color picker tool.. only give the same results

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

featurerequest.thumb.jpg.5f0d56c2f7bd2d32e4cc86cfd1ea67d9.jpg

 

not sure if its possible but this would fix my request above...

can we cycle through each channel?

so it shows base colour,roughness etc...
+
i know we have the texture editor but is it possible to share the same window and not as a tab?

, would be amazing if textura and 3d coat were seperate... so that the painter could get dedicated updates,

and just bridge between the two

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
3 hours ago, Elemeno said:

featurerequest.thumb.jpg.5f0d56c2f7bd2d32e4cc86cfd1ea67d9.jpg

 

not sure if its possible but this would fix my request above...

can we cycle through each channel?

so it shows base colour,roughness etc...
+
i know we have the texture editor but is it possible to share the same window and not as a tab?

, would be amazing if textura and 3d coat were seperate... so that the painter could get dedicated updates,

and just bridge between the two

Most things in 3D Coat you can already do, but often not know how, yet. The thing is, once you find out it actually is already there, it reveals to you that often not only it is already there, but a lot of things are implemented in a much more convenient and powerful and faster way than in other software (take symmetry for instance).

So, for cycling through channels is pretty easy, just hit the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 buttons for bump, color, rough, wireframe, lit, metallic. You can display the desired map directly without cycling.

3D Coat is super powerful, you just need to keep at it and try to learn its paradigm, not fight it cause of wishing it would behave in a certain way like other software. Believe me, been there, it leads nowhere. It feels odd at first but once you get it and open to the paradigms, its worth it and you will see what a fantastic piece of software it really is.

Am I saying it doesn't have missing things? No things I wish would be added? No, but the things that ARE inside 3D Coat are a powerhouse cross section of artistic tools you seldom find in other software. It is a generalist software. Can you sculpt or retopo in Substance Painter? Can you PBR paint with smart materials onto your sculpt or properly UV inside ZBrush? Does Blender let you work with tens of millions of voxels with ease doing boolean operations or have paint layers? ... no, but 3D Coat does.

The only problem is you need to put in the effort and patience to learn it. Jus as with ANY other software. It is not something trivial you grab over night, even if you are a 3d veteran. Some people get quicker into it and like it right away, some take longer and learn to love it, some hate it, same with every other software. I jus wish people would stop trying to make the app something it is not.

For instance, separating the Paint Room from 3D Coat is not a good idea. It belongs inside there. Why introduce the need to bridge something that does not need to because it is native part of the app? That said, Textura is indeed already separate for people who only want the painting. So I don't see the point to have separate development states between those softwares and introduce fragmentation and more effort for the devs to keep to different states.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Henry Townshend said:

Most things in 3D Coat you can already do, but often not know how, yet. The thing is, once you find out it actually is already there, it reveals to you that often not only it is already there, but a lot of things are implemented in a much more convenient and powerful and faster way than in other software (take symmetry for instance).

So, for cycling through channels is pretty easy, just hit the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 buttons for bump, color, rough, wireframe, lit, metallic. You can display the desired map directly without cycling.

3D Coat is super powerful, you just need to keep at it and try to learn its paradigm, not fight it cause of wishing it would behave in a certain way like other software. Believe me, been there, it leads nowhere. It feels odd at first but once you get it and open to the paradigms, its worth it and you will see what a fantastic piece of software it really is.

Am I saying it doesn't have missing things? No things I wish would be added? No, but the things that ARE inside 3D Coat are a powerhouse cross section of artistic tools you seldom find in other software. It is a generalist software. Can you sculpt or retopo in Substance Painter? Can you PBR paint with smart materials onto your sculpt or properly UV inside ZBrush? Does Blender let you work with tens of millions of voxels with ease doing boolean operations or have paint layers? ... no, but 3D Coat does.

The only problem is you need to put in the effort and patience to learn it. Jus as with ANY other software. It is not something trivial you grab over night, even if you are a 3d veteran. Some people get quicker into it and like it right away, some take longer and learn to love it, some hate it, same with every other software. I jus wish people would stop trying to make the app something it is not.

For instance, separating the Paint Room from 3D Coat is not a good idea. It belongs inside there. Why introduce the need to bridge something that does not need to because it is native part of the app? That said, Textura is indeed already separate for people who only want the painting. So I don't see the point to have separate development states between those softwares and introduce fragmentation and more effort for the devs to keep to different states.

quite possibly the worst way of doing things...

i use about 20 different softwares ranging from 3d to 2d to video,music and illustrator

they need a drop down box in the paint section.. i cant remember all these hotkeys.. , to be honest what 3dcoat does have i need and there for use it regularly especially if im concept sculpting and cant be asked with topology,

but the ui seriously need a rework and needs to have the basics in place to make workflow more efficient

when i need to work on something i need the fastest possible results.... cycling through numbers to get what i need isnt good enough.. they dont show exactly what im looking at, and you can only see roughness,metal and color... be nice to see normal,height, curvature and ambient occlusion etc.. and even though it would be nice to spend more time with the software ... the software doesnt explain itself very well..

zbrush is the most complicated software ive ever used and i feel more comfortable with that software than this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

also if you paint 100% roughness onto a mesh and then on another layer paint 0% roughness... it just give a little less shinier which is weird because 100% roughness should be dull but 100% roughness gives a shiny look?

the layers dont take in consideration of hierarchy.. the top layer wont over power the bottom layers like it would in every software.

its just so confusing, stuff that should work doesnt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

If you can't remember hotkeys in the 3D world, you're kinda doomed, no matter how many softwares you use.

3D coat is an app made for professionals, not casual users.

By the way, Quixel Mixer does the same way of cycling through channels, and it is used in AAA productions all across the board. If you have trouble remembering 5 numbers and what they represent, you have larger problems than 3D Coat being complicated.

I have seen people claiming similar things you do about zbrush. Not every software is for everyone. But one should be aware about cutting down possibilities for efficiency with such a mindset, cause every software has its strength(and weaknesses).

And there you are wrong again: 

Retopology is one of 3D Coats absolute unmatched strength. Thats the thing , 3D Coat excells at 3D concepting as much as creating production ready low res meshes fast and efficient. Retopology feels artistic in 3D Coat in a way not found in any other retopo toolset. (I used Blender with all the addons and Topogun for almost 8 years before).

But ultimately it doesnt  matter what you use... you jus need know the basics, gain expertise and practice. The principles are the same across softwares.

Then, the question remains what you are trying to achieve here with this frustrated rants? Do you really wanna contribute to the program, you should be constructive, organized and kind with your feedback. It works, the devopers would listen if you know how to speak respectfully and constructively. (I only use 3D Coat for about 6 month and already two feedbacks of mine have been implemented, such as ACES tonemapping and passthru blend mode)

Or,  do you wanna bash inside an offical development discussion forum on how bad this software is? Does it make sense? Do you go to MCDonalds and scream how they should up their game to become more like Burger King? Or do you simply eat what you preffer?

Sure, you can tell them to enhance their Big Mac by throwing in a certain ingredient, but you cant ask them to throw their whole recipes over boarx because YOU think so....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Henry Townshend said:

And there you are wrong again: 

Retopology is one of 3D Coats absolute unmatched strength. Thats the thing , 3D Coat excells at 3D concepting as much as creating production ready low res meshes fast and efficient. Retopology feels artistic in 3D Coat in a way not found in any other retopo toolset. (I used Blender with all the addons and Topogun for almost 8 years before).

hey please dont think im ranting... im purely suggesting ideas that might help and im constantly on here reporting bugs or things not working.. i only ever have the best interests for 3dcoat but i didnt say anything about retopology .. i said i enjoy 3d coat when i cant be asked with topology because voxels constantly recalculate themselves.. i wasnt saying about retopo... , the retopology room is amazing.... it beats most maybe all for that area

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2022 at 7:13 PM, Henry Townshend said:

@Gorbatovsky I am trying to understand something. Maybe you could help me.

I started using the "Align Vertices" tool, which is awesome and works well when aligning vertices planar towards a certain axis.

However, there are two other modes "Circle" and "Sphere". Circle is the one I wanna use, as I assume it aligns a bunch of vertices into a "perfect" circle.

But, when I try to use the tool it says to me I have no faces selected, which confuses me. When I select faces, I of course leave Vertex Select mode and hence have no Vertex align tool at my disposal anymore, cause the tool only shows up if I am in vertex select mode.

image.thumb.png.ef1a6e891b7bcf22c769150b62ab1b68.png

What I am looking for is in the video I attached. In Blender, you can make anything a circle, no matter what you have selected, over the "loop tools" menu (Addon needs to be enabled, it's included by default).

I fail to understand what the Vertices Align tool in 3D Coat expects me to do when it says "No selected face, Sorry".

It seems to me it is impossible to select faces in a tool that expects you to be in vertex select mode. On top, why would it rely on faces being selected?

Maybe I understand the purpose of the "Circle" mode wrong ?

 

 

I just tried just for fun, and the align tool also works on faces. -It wants faces, so I give it faces. :rofl:

And the result is exactly the same like in your video.

Aligntool.thumb.gif.8633df84324bc8e24ac7131311f11631.gif

It also works on multiple face islands simultanously:

image.thumb.png.a29887f60dac5a119174f9efa917df99.png

And it can also do this, but just with one face loop.

Aligntool2.thumb.gif.0ff477bc8b0225aa9b2f04531563527b.gif

All the best!

Edited by Ctc_nick
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Contributor
On 7/26/2022 at 9:21 AM, Carlosan said:

You mean View > Shading modes ?

image.png

Press End key on each of these one by one and assign the same key for each (1, for example)
For the second and subsequent ones you will get a dialogue asking if you want to replace or stack.
Choose stack.
All of the shading modes will be assigned to the same key, so that you will, in effect, cycle through them. @Elemeno

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reputable Contributor
On 7/25/2022 at 11:04 PM, Elemeno said:

quite possibly the worst way of doing things...

i use about 20 different softwares ranging from 3d to 2d to video,music and illustrator

they need a drop down box in the paint section.. i cant remember all these hotkeys.. , to be honest what 3dcoat does have i need and there for use it regularly especially if im concept sculpting and cant be asked with topology,

but the ui seriously need a rework and needs to have the basics in place to make workflow more efficient

when i need to work on something i need the fastest possible results.... cycling through numbers to get what i need isnt good enough.. they dont show exactly what im looking at, and you can only see roughness,metal and color... be nice to see normal,height, curvature and ambient occlusion etc.. and even though it would be nice to spend more time with the software ... the software doesnt explain itself very well..

zbrush is the most complicated software ive ever used and i feel more comfortable with that software than this one.

You do actually have a drop list menu to cycle between the different maps/channels. It's in the upper right corner (just to the left of the UV Maps list menu) of the TEXTURE EDITOR. So, Henry was correct, that the easiest way is to use hotkeys, but if that isn't sufficient, your preferred method is also available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Ctc_nick said:

I just tried just for fun, and the align tool also works on faces. -It wants faces, so I give it faces. :rofl:

And the result is exactly the same like in your video.

Aligntool.thumb.gif.8633df84324bc8e24ac7131311f11631.gif

It also works on multiple face islands simultanously:

image.thumb.png.a29887f60dac5a119174f9efa917df99.png

And it can also do this, but just with one face loop.

Aligntool2.thumb.gif.0ff477bc8b0225aa9b2f04531563527b.gif

All the best!

Thank you for showing! Only thing is, I am in Retopo Room! Not in modeling room :D ... which is where I would like to do that on my retopo mesh! :p

Which is where the message "sorry, no selected faces" occures and prevents me from the ability to use the tool on faces.

Do you might know how I would go about doing that there? Or do I need to hopp into modeling room to do it? 

Edited by Henry Townshend
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Henry Townshend said:

Thank you for showing! Only thing is, I am in Retopo Room! Not in modeling room :D ... which is where I would like to do that on my retopo mesh! :p

Which is where the message "sorry, no selected faces" occures and prevents me from the ability to use the tool on faces.

Do you might know how I would go about doing that there? Or do I need to hopp into modeling room to do it? 

Yes, it is not working in retopo I just tried. Exactly that, go to modeling room. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Henry Townshend said:

@Gorbatovsky It would be great if the user could use it the same way in retopo room as in modeling room.

@Gorbatovsky Let me demonstrate in Blender. Here, I am in Retopo "mode" in Blender (Surface snapping via projection and shrinkwrap modifier active).

You can see, no matter how what I select, if verts, edges or faces, the tool works equally on all selection types during retopo.

It would be great if the user could use the Vertex Align Tool the same way in retopo room as in modeling room. Meaning also 
having the ability to align vertices to a circle, without leaving retopo room, maybe even regardless of 
selection type (verts, edges, or faces). I feel there should be no need to select only faces to align verts to a circle.

During a retopo session, you wanna be able to align something to be circular while snapped on top of your referenece mesh, 
not in air. This is because if you reproject the circles
afterwards, their circular structure will inevitably get messed up again.

The cube example I have shown in Blender was jus an example to quickly illustrate what I mean without any retopo 
setup.

It would be much beneficial to have this also in retopo room, as often times it can be very useful, especially on hard surface meshes, to just get circular structures in order/clean distribution again, without having to throw in a 2D Primitve and reconnect it to existing geometry.

Edited by Henry Townshend
re-format
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...