Jump to content
3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2022 development thread


Recommended Posts

  • Member
On 6/28/2022 at 11:24 PM, retutca said:

I recorded the error. Now the pc froze for a moment and then the painting disappeared... Thx!

Freeze painting works and does NOT disappear! :) I updated the video card driver and switched voxel representation to surface representation and set the triangles from 5 million to 3 million.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Contributor
2 minutes ago, Ctc_nick said:

Hi.

The Render Room does not wait with rendering when using Spacemouse, and the result is a blurred viewport.

:gamer1:

 

It's been like that for a very long time :( the workaround is to always hold RMB while navigating with the spacemouse in render room.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Contributor

Sometimes it can be really cool to capture an image before the render resolves. See image below.  But yes, if it could work as it does with the mouse that would be really nice to have. I also do the RMB trick as well, but it's not ideal or intuitive. 

image.thumb.png.bc3c0c93b7443caa2eb8890e51da0b4b.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

im not sure theres a bug or something... but when i scukpt in blender i could have 7 million faces and it looks very smooth and high quality but ill have 50+ million faces in 3dcoat and it will look jagged or cubish ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

will 3d coat ever be able to get the same sort of detail zbrush has?

i know voxels are completely different to 2.5 but would be amazing if we could get micro details inside the sculpt area

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

.035:good: Smart Materials in Voxel Sculpt Mode are working ! 

If you now manage to include the Material Depth/Height Map to real Voxel Displacement that would be insane :crazy:

 

Untitled.thumb.png.c17753630d74d1c9cd4d26753b285c3b.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

Colored Voxels is HUGE love this update.

Not being picky, but here are a handful of things I noticed with colored voxels:
- When sculpting in inverted mode (holding down CTRL/removing material) color is not applied (meaning you cannot sculpt dark creases, notches etc).
- When smoothing (brushing with SHIFT) PBR values aren't smoothed, only the surface shape (although this is probably fine, just may come as a surprise to some).
- You can't use the Move tool when the current paint layer is hidden.
- Factures don't work with voxels (understandable).
- When in the paint room, depth values for brushes do nothing when working on voxels.
- If you create a new paint layer, then start colored voxel sculpting, then delete the layer, then make a new one and start color sculpting again, blocky artifacts from the deleted layer will start showing up where you are brushing.
- In the sculpt room, it's not clear *at all* what PBR settings/smart material you are about to color sculpt with, also you have to keep going back-and-forth between the sculpt and paint room to change materials

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SERGYI said:

After investigation and meeting, the USD library has been temporarily removed from "3DCoat/Textura/Print" under macOS. We will add "USD" later using a completely different approach. New builds "3DCoat/Textura/Print 2022.35" for macOS have been uploaded:
https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/links-macOS.html
"3DCoat/Textura/Print 2022.35" should run on older macOS versions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@TreetopFlyer 

Both work on two working modes, Voxels and Surfaces
Factures works on Surface mode.
Voxel paint works on Volumetric mode.

Currently Vertextures is a new paint mode in surface sculpt mode: it works similarly to vertex painting; however, you paint with texture, not just the color.

The main rule is that you can assign a texture and a color to each vertex. Each vertex on every layer has only ONE texture. So, if you paint with texture over another texture on the current layer, the texture will be replaced, not blended.

But you can apply many textures to each vertex using multiple layers with opacity. If neighboring vertices have different textures, the textures will be blended between the vertices and no seam will appear.

Voxel painting not meaning vertex painting that actually paint the surface of the shape (even if with the benefit of not needing UV map), but where you actually paint a volume so to create a 3D texture, adding color to voxels.

But 3DC allow correct transition surface←→voxels that keep colors. It is super important, especially to fix scan errors, voxels are superior for this purpose.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TreetopFlyer said:


- In the sculpt room, it's not clear *at all* what PBR settings/smart material you are about to color sculpt with, also you have to keep going back-and-forth between the sculpt and paint room to change materials

Hi.

You can open the Smart Material Panel inside the Sculpt room to select PBR.

They should turn off the warning and automatic change to the paint room, though.

Edited by Ctc_nick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Contributor
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, TreetopFlyer said:


- When sculpting in inverted mode (holding down CTRL/removing material) color is not applied (meaning you cannot sculpt dark creases, notches etc).
 

Excuse me but I think this behavior is expected and very desireable. When holding CTRL to carve into the volume you are revealing the volumetric color inside.

If you wish to carve into the volume and paint at the same time, don't use CTRL, but tick "use as vox hide" instead : this will do what you want.

Edited by Silas Merlin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Contributor
On 7/4/2022 at 8:12 AM, Ctc_nick said:

.035:good: Smart Materials in Voxel Sculpt Mode are working ! 

If you now manage to include the Material Depth/Height Map to real Voxel Displacement that would be insane :crazy:

 

 

Here is a method you can use to apply smart materials with depth. (by temporarily switching to surface mode)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
Posted (edited)

possible bug?

- in paint room when I click a shader and click fill entire layer, strange geo appears. Surface mode, 2.8mil tris, curvature and occlusion calculated.

edit: converted to voxel to see what happens, 3dc turned them into real geo.

applymat.jpg

Edited by Koray
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2022 at 9:50 AM, Silas Merlin said:

Here is a method you can use to apply smart materials with depth. (by temporarily switching to surface mode)

 

Thank you! Exactly that I was looking for.:yes:  

I accidently noticed that the Clip Masks don't work for the Displacement channel in Surface Mode. They are ignored. In Smart Material Preview it looks right. 

If I turn on ' Use Color Tolorance' in the fill tool, it works but when painting its the same.

Edited by Ctc_nick
compressed my thoughts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Contributor
On 6/28/2022 at 1:55 PM, Carlosan said:

Warning: Never use any special characters non-alphanumeric to name a folder or file. Bad habbit.

When English is not your first language it would be very difficult to always remember to not use international characters when naming files and folders... Wait, scratch that, I say it would be impossible.

What is misleading is that sometimes 3d-Coat 2022 will open files that have international characters somewhere in the path, but at the time of saving it will be incapable of doing so, with, or without a warning.
That is, sometimes you think you saved the file, but it did not.
So there are three scenarios I have encountered :
-3d-Coat 2022 is unable to open the file until the folders and/or files have been ranamed.
-3d-Coat 2022 will open a file but will issue an error when saving the file.

-3d Coat 2022 will open a file, and appear to save it, but will not. (the only hint is that there will be no progress percentage shown in title bar for the zipping of the file).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

When English is not your first language it would be very difficult to always remember to not use international characters when naming files and folders... Wait, scratch that, I say it would be impossible.

What is misleading is that sometimes 3d-Coat 2022 will open files that have international characters somewhere in the path, but at the time of saving it will be incapable of doing so, with, or without a warning.
That is, sometimes you think you saved the file, but it did not.
So there are three scenarios I have encountered :
-3d-Coat 2022 is unable to open the file until the folders and/or files have been ranamed.
-3d-Coat 2022 will open a file but will issue an error when saving the file.

-3d Coat 2022 will open a file, and appear to save it, but will not. (the only hint is that there will be no progress percentage shown in title bar for the zipping of the file).

This is very strange, I checked this many times (and now as well), on all my tests all characters may be used for names or folders, even for the workfolder.

It was not working correctly in 4.9, but in 2021/22 I payed special attention to this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

This is very strange, I checked this many times (and now as well), on all my tests all characters may be used for names or folders, even for the workfolder.

It was not working correctly in 4.9, but in 2021/22 I payed special attention to this. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

Couple of issues with 2022 overall:

1. Default shader behave a bit weird almost with every start of 3DC - it looks toon-ish or silhouette like, need to be clicked again on this shader to became normal.

2. Brush/Tool option panel doesn't remember position, it always cover workspace tool panel.

@Andrew Shpagin Please, add "Reset to defaults" option in Render Room - I mean main lights, extra lights, fog, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...