3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Contributor

excited about 2023.01! :good:good job everybody at Pilgway, and wish you the best!

I have detected what seems like a small bug with full screen and entering text on layers, color #code in dialogs etc.

This is on Windows 10 pro, 2022.60 and persists on 2023.01. I also have three different monitors and two are 1080p while one is 4k, in case it can influence this.

1. Without full screen, double-click any text box element, can type in text and change value of layer names; colors etc.
2. Change to full screen
3. Can no longer get the popup / float to enter text

Here is a video. (My screen recorder bugged out when I switched to full screen but hope I get the point across)

Wonder if anybody can confirm?
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Welding is improved

Thank you so much!!!

@Gorbatovsky But still no change for me:/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfhmgt62oudsr8y/2023-02-18 10-59-32.mp4?dl=0

And huge thank you for 2023.01 ! E.g. Ability to now delete edges via delete key is much appreciated!

Edited by Henry Townshend
add video link

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Gorbatovsky said:

We have two algorithms of build mesh
1-st variant.  You can't  move knots.

image.png

2-d variant.

image.png

I see. But why can I move knots again after hitting undo one time, even with equal step disabled?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4shomeyc2m3cs1/2023-02-18 13-31-10.mp4?dl=0

And I mean you can literally move the knots in any case, they jus won't update the geo...

And however instant merge still doesn't work, detracting from the wonderful speed of the Smart Retopo brush.

Now have to go in lasso select all affected verts and use Weld Tool to weld them together after the fact.

more info

• Advanced Member

@Gorbatovsky  I'd have another question:

Is it not possible to slide a single vertex inside the Retopo room? I can only see the Slide Edges tool, but does it have a vertex mode as well? Even with Move tool, there seem to be no way to slide a single vertex along an edge.

This is what I mean (Blender, hit "G" twice). Could we have it also in Retopo Room in 3D Coat? If not already there (not 100%sure):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucuuq4i5o3g3d2v/2023-02-18 14-12-03.mp4?dl=0

typo

• Advanced Member
23 minutes ago, Henry Townshend said:

@Gorbatovsky  I'd have another question:

Is it not possible to slide a single vertex inside the Retopo room? I can only see the Slide Edges tool, but does it have a vertex mode as well? Even with Move tool, there seem to be no way to slide a single vertex along an edge.

This is what I mean (Blender, hit "G" twice). Could we have it also in Retopo Room in 3D Coat? If not already there (not 100%sure):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucuuq4i5o3g3d2v/2023-02-18 14-12-03.mp4?dl=0

i believe you can use add/select tool with RMB or points to polys rmb does the same ...

• Advanced Member
38 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Welding working for the current object.

Hmm, unfotunately not for me. Not sure what I am doing differently. Out of ideas. I am staying inside the same object. Bummer, but thanks again!

@Gorbatovsky I found another kind of "anomaly": When I select the Knife tool, all of my short cuts stop working and Space Bar menu also won't pop up, unless I select another tool from the left side bar.

ping dev

• Advanced Member
9 minutes ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

image.png

You can move the vertex using RMB in the Smart Retopo tool

image.png

In the Select tool, you can move points. And by pressing xyz you can move along certain axes. Enter exact values separated by spaces.

Thanks @Oleg_Shapo. I know about constraining axis, it's great, works exactly like in Blender, even one keyboard hit less. I can move vertices in any tool without problems, unconstrained, or in world axis.

However, what I am asking is something different, and very essential. If a user can already slide edges, he should also be able to slide a single vertex along an edge. There is a crucial difference between moving along a world axis constraint or in the direction of existing adjacent edges.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

@Gorbatovsky I also found out that when I have vertices or edges selected with the select tool, I can not use my shortcut for "Relax" tool anymore. This is also new for me. Previously it worked like a charm and I could quickly relax selected areas this way, using my shortcut for Relax(SHIFT+CTRL+R). Now, once I have several vertices selected, the shortcut does nothing and I need to go into Space Bar Menu and hit Relax. Further subtracting from usual speed.

13 minutes ago, Henry Townshend said:

I found another kind of "anomaly": When I select the Knife tool, all of my short cuts stop working and Space Bar menu also won't pop up, unless I select another tool from the left side bar.

Yes, there was a mistake.
Already fixed.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2023 development thread
14 minutes ago, Henry Townshend said:

Hmm, unfotunately not for me. Not sure what I am doing differently. Out of ideas. I am staying inside the same object. Bummer, but thanks again!

I already have your file.
I'm trying to figure out why welding works.
I'm shocked.
Thank you. Have a good day.

• Advanced Member
31 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

I already have your file.
I'm trying to figure out why welding works.
I'm shocked.
Thank you. Have a good day.

Thank you @Gorbatovsky! As always!

Here is my most recent file, where I am in retopo phase:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltlhuxzpala6eq0/Futurama_Bender_154.3b?dl=0

Have a nice day, too!

16 hours ago, Elemeno said:

modelling room :strokes produces triangles instead of quads , you cant access tool options no more in modelling room... VERY important ! modelling room currently redundant

Looks like Select has no options till you are in Auto mode. As soon as anything selected, options appear.

Long switch may be related to settings. Please zip files In Docs/UserPrefs/Prferences and drop me to andrewshpagin@gmail.com

• Advanced Member

i cant get the retopo room to work ...

the weld tolerance is too low to merge but too high that previous quads are merging together ...

some edges made by strokes tool cant be deleted or selected ... unless you select the vertices and then delete edges.

also not sure if it had one but you cant delete vertices? not options and DEL has no affect

1 hour ago, Elemeno said:

i cant get the retopo room to work ...

the weld tolerance is too low to merge but too high that previous quads are merging together ...

some edges made by strokes tool cant be deleted or selected ... unless you select the vertices and then delete edges.

also not sure if it had one but you cant delete vertices? not options and DEL has no affect

Looks like I can't reproduce nothing... Short vide very appreciated.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Thank you.
I already see that your unit of measure is meters

@Gorbatovsky Found the cause!!! It was not the meter unit in Preferences. I changed it back to cm, but it didn't solve the problem. But it gave me an idea:

A while back working on this file, during voxel modeling, I changed my scene scale under "Geometry" in Sculpt room to "50", default is "1". I increased it to match better Blender scale when pushing objects back and forth via Applink (albeit it never quite 100% matched as expected, still could not figure out a 1:1 when working with Applink, sadly. Using OBJ export/import works perfectly though, hope at some poin Applink Scale back and forth could just work, would be a dream).

Setting Scene Scale back to it's default of "1" solves the problem of Smart Retopo brush verts not merging. Finally I can shoot geo again without interruption! Thanks a ton for the quick and frequent support!

image.thumb.png.53a26fdb501025d6cd532deeac51279f.png

typo

• Contributor

On 2023.01 I am unable to, with use navigation rules to transform (Hotkey N) to move the object back / forward in the viewport, it still zooms the viewport

I believe I got this working once but I fail to remember what settings I used

I have / am trying to tweak the customize navigation settings but no luck so far
image.thumb.jpeg.317c95e96d6858f12190082ca0dc334f.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.1c9dbae46b4cccb50b15cae0c91d461d.jpeg

Thanks for any help / advice!

Edit: I got it working, it just did not work In Ortography despite the setting, works in perspective viewport setting!

Edited by poeboi
update
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
47 minutes ago, Henry Townshend said:

@Gorbatovsky Found the cause!!! It was not the meter unit in Preferences. I changed it back to cm, but it didn't solve the problem. But it gave me an idea:

A while back working on this file, during voxel modeling, I changed my scene scale under "Geometry" in Sculpt room to "50", default is "1". I increased it to match better Blender scale when pushing objects back and forth via Applink (albeit it never quite 100% matched as expected, still could not figure out a 1:1 when working with Applink, sadly. Using OBJ export/import works perfectly though, hope at some poin Applink Scale back and forth could just work, would be a dream).

Setting Scene Scale back to it's default of "1" solves the problem of Smart Retopo brush verts not merging. Finally I can shoot geo again without interruption! Thanks a ton for the quick and frequent support!

image.thumb.png.53a26fdb501025d6cd532deeac51279f.png

@Gorbatovsky So as it turns out, I now noticed that using meters as units in Preferences, and setting scene scale to 50, indeed gives me 1:1 scale when sending retopo objects via applink to Blender and back. That was the reason why I set it like this. (For retopo objects it seems to work flawelessly, only with importing as voxel objects I get scale problems, even when using "Auto Scale" option in the importer dialouge)

So these setting are in fact useful. Hopefully, Smart Retopo could work with any scene scale in future.

typo
  • Thanks 2

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic