3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

56 minutes ago, Arvart said:

Checked .12 version and fast strokes now working realy fine, but poblem with sculpting on a small distance is still here. I would be so glad if you can fix it, because it's main reason why I still working in 4 version of the Coat.

Update, fast strokes still not working well, and I realize that strokes had broke when I turned on CUDA usage (for some reason it was turned "off" on working start). So both of my problems still in place.

9 hours ago, oah1981 said:

Hi

Here is my windows build version - 10.0.19042 Build 19042, I believe it is upto date. The only change to my system (that I am aware of) has been the installation of the latest game ready drivers from Nvidia. BUT.. I've gone back over older versions and it is now crashing with earlier builds. 2021.6 manages to generate a crash report however, I have copied the text and added it to an attachement in this post.

Thanks

crash.txt

I have now tried version 2021.12 - the system no longer crashes, but the object just vanishes. Deletes when I use base clay. No warning, it just deletes. The triangle count goes to zero

Turning on/off CUDA usage... could vanishes Sculpt layers too ? 

Before turning CUDA usage on, one day later i opened a project to find that all my previous work is gone. 

How to know if sculpt layers is activated or not in some mesh when we work in surface mode?

I would like to decide when to work with sculpt layers-morph having the option to activate or deactivate it.

Ok it started up. I noticed a percentage countdown in the upper left hand corner of the window(Was that suppose to happen with this build?) and my computer got really sluggish, so I managed to open up task manager and saw adobe reader dc hogging up my ram and cpu. I closed it and my system ran smooth again. No problems testing it as of yet. 

3D Coat 2021 ver12 Successful Start up.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Try to turn off cuda usage in the Geometry menu.

Hi

I have now tried with cuda off, but the issue is still there I am afraid - I have two recordings attached. One showing the error that the object disappears, the other showing that once a voxel object disappears you can no longer add one from the primative tool.

Thanks, Oli

26.07.21 2021.13

- Pose/select object centrifies over the object (center mass + to the main axis).

- If "Steady stroke" is turned off it is really turned off. Before that, it was 6.0 even if turned off. So small movements may have sense. If you want to grow a surface with small movements, it is better to set "Paint w/ dabs" in brush settings (and turn off spacing).

- More accurate strokes in voxel brush engine. Especially without buildup. Fixed rare random bumps in 2d paint, other voxel brushes (looked like the pressure was low sometimes).

- A bit sharper fonts when generated. Blurriness distracts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

26.07.21 2021.13

- If "Steady stroke" is turned off it is really turned off. Before that, it was 6.0 even if turned off. So small movements may have sense. If you want to grow a surface with small movements, it is better to set "Paint w/ dabs" in brush settings (and turn off spacing).

Yes! Now brushes works as expected! But problem with CUDA still in place - some screenshot to show how problem exactly looks. On the left side stroke with CUDA turned off, and on the right side strokes with CUDA turned on. One of them made with same hand move speed as left, and far right made with extremely fast hand move.
image.thumb.png.cbb332ebd87a99601db7dccfdce392ab.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Arvart said:

One of them made with same hand move speed as left, and far right made with extremely fast hand move.

I can replicate same brush issue (little spaced dots) if Focal Shift i set to negative values (-30).

image_2021-07-26_171530.png

4 hours ago, oah1981 said:

Hi

I have now tried with cuda off, but the issue is still there I am afraid - I have two recordings attached. One showing the error that the object disappears, the other showing that once a voxel object disappears you can no longer add one from the primative tool.

Thanks, Oli

@Andrew Shpagin I have discovered that if you click to increase the resolution of the sculpt layer, the missing object comes back - with more voxels - but then disappears again when you sculpt again. You can keep doing this again and again, with performance decreasing each time (even with quite low triangle counts). I am at my attachment limit, but I have a video to show you the behaviour. Thanks for all the hard work.

• Contributor

apologies in advance, hope it's not too out of order that I post this here, instead of own thread in another forum or by mail

I would like to propose a vox/surface sculpting tool, inspired by "elastic deform" tool from Blender sculpting room
(this is not meant as X software has this—so 3DCoat should have it, I just overall think it would be a very good fit)

here's two videos of how this tool behaves, without freezing and with freezing

The exact need or usecase for this tool would be in situations where one wants to modify the overall
contour, silhouette of an object by dragging on it, making changes in a smoothly interpolated way across entire
surface/vox object

We almost have this behavior already in Move and Shift tools, or
much like dragging just 1 handle or point on pose tool's lattice deformation cage

The way it would differ with existing "move tool" is this:
• it would not break the surface so to speak, not make any "mountains" or stretch,
regardless of voxel density or surface point density

• it would work more like a magnet, in that it has a range of influence over the entire sculpt object,
and does not "drag" the area under the brush
• entire object surface area would be pulled along drag unless frozen

brush alpha could perhaps be used to modulate the degree of pinching or convergence of the deformation,
a 'sharp' alpha would make the dragged part of object converge in a point, 'round' alpha more spherical

a parameter in tool options could be something like "range of influence", 0.0 to 1.0 where 1.0 influences the entire object
from pick/drag point and 0.0 no drag

Thank you for your consideration, time and work!

Hi,

I have a question about the sculpt layer system. Like @Carlosan I have a problem with CUDA. Is CUDA ON Sculpt layers in Voxel Mode have no effect, but in Surface mode is everything working. Is CUDA OFF  V/S Modes are both working. When I start a sculpt layer in Voxel Mode I am able to change the object to Surface mode and the Layer is still working. 

But if I resample or bring this object back to Voxel Mode, the Sculpt Layer is "baked". Also, I noticed that the Voxel Tools "bake" the sculpt layers too, because they voxelize the whole object?.

The CUDA issue seems to be a bug but the other things are working as you @Andrew Shpagin developed it? I wanna make sure this is the right workflow.

So every kind of "remesh" destroys sculpt layer.

Best regards

• Confused 1

In general, sculpt mode performance - regardless of cuda or not - is so much better than voxel. Cuda does make it worse however. On my system, 25mn triangles is no problem is sculpt mode, extremely smooth, but 4mn in voxels is really sluggish and not smooth at all. FPS is over 250 on voxel mode, it just is very jerky. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Barrel said:

Respond to those who feel very strongly that the subdivision of geometry from several hundred thousand polygons to several million seems to be much slower than in last year's versions.

Yes, it is slower for me as well, decimation too. On the decimation point, with auto retopo it would save so much time if the decimation result of the process is stored and can be reused if there is no change to the sculpt. If I tweak an auto retopo to get a better result, it is so slow to repeat the decimation again and again. It is slower than 4.9.72.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Windows 2021.12

I did not mean to start a new topic so posting here as well.

Resampling in Surface mode creates a voxel triangulation method model. This is not good.

Years ago when switching from voxel mode to surface mode it kept the voxel triangulation method. This was discovered that it causes artifacts in surface mode sculpting . The issue was addressed to Andrew it was fixed. 

The same problem is created when resampling a model in surface mode.

The resampling in surface mode needs to keep the surface mode triangulation method.

I uploaded an image.

Surface mode:

Left side Surface mode triangulation method, Right side after resampling, Voxel triangulation method.

before after.JPG

Edited by digman
upload image
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

SERGYI was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

21 hours ago, Mihu83 said:

@Andrew Shpagin Any info. about tablet issue - no strokes with Kamvas Pro 24? Would like to test 2021 version, but for now, there is no point.

Personally we have only Wacom and Surface Pro tablets. I have searched our emails and there are "3DCoat" users with "Huion" tablets (under Windows and Linux). Please note that:
1. Currently "3DCoat" supports two APIs for tablets which you can choose in "3DCoat > Edit > Preferences > Brushing > Tablet Interface = "WinTab" (legacy support for "Wacom" tablets) or "TabletPC" (which is "Windows Ink" and it should work for all tablets). Try both APIs.
2. Several customers which are using "3DCoat" with "Huion" tablets have reported that they needed to check the option "3DCoat > Edit > Preferences > Brushing > [V] Treat eraser as pen" because the pen tip worked as eraser in "WinTab" mode.
3. On the "Huion" site there are discussions about problems with "Windows Ink". "Huion" support recommends such steps: unplug the tablet, uninstall the currently installed driver, install the latest driver from their site, then plug the tablet.

• Advanced Member
44 minutes ago, SERGYI said:

Personally we have only Wacom and Surface Pro tablets. I have searched our emails and there are "3DCoat" users with "Huion" tablets (under Windows and Linux). Please note that:
1. Currently "3DCoat" supports two APIs for tablets which you can choose in "3DCoat > Edit > Preferences > Brushing > Tablet Interface = "WinTab" (legacy support for "Wacom" tablets) or "TabletPC" (which is "Windows Ink" and it should work for all tablets). Try both APIs.
2. Several customers which are using "3DCoat" with "Huion" tablets have reported that they needed to check the option "3DCoat > Edit > Preferences > Brushing > [V] Treat eraser as pen" because the pen tip worked as eraser in "WinTab" mode.
3. On the "Huion" site there are discussions about problems with "Windows Ink". "Huion" support recommends such steps: unplug the tablet, uninstall the currently installed driver, install the latest driver from their site, then plug the tablet.

Checked all the API configurations before( reported on July 13) and I have newest drivers.

By the way, it works perfectly fine in V4 series, including 4.9.72, so...

12 hours ago, Daffyd said:

Hi,

I have a question about the sculpt layer system. Like @Carlosan I have a problem with CUDA. Is CUDA ON Sculpt layers in Voxel Mode have no effect, but in Surface mode is everything working. Is CUDA OFF  V/S Modes are both working. When I start a sculpt layer in Voxel Mode I am able to change the object to Surface mode and the Layer is still working. 

But if I resample or bring this object back to Voxel Mode, the Sculpt Layer is "baked". Also, I noticed that the Voxel Tools "bake" the sculpt layers too, because they voxelize the whole object?.

The CUDA issue seems to be a bug but the other things are working as you @Andrew Shpagin developed it? I wanna make sure this is the right workflow.

So every kind of "remesh" destroys sculpt layer.

Best regards

Voxel mode does not support layers. And it is not related to CUDA. Layers are ONLY for surface mode. Some operations may destroy layers. Like voxel resamplig. 

27.07.21 2021.14

- 2D-Paint remade to use Voxel Brush Engine. It kept all previous functionality but got much much faster stroking, drawing by spots/chunks, accurate edges, painting without "ladder" effect if thickness becomes too small. And of course rich options for stroke and alpha.

- For other brushes fixed the rare random plane rotation when you stroking fast.

- When Coat starts on some PC the width of the tool params window (if undocked) is set up in correspondence with the font size. Otherwise, it looks ugly on bigger fonts size.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic