3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

16 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Oh wow, good job, yes, that's one of the environement map hdr's and I see it too.

sorry I totally failed to understand the problem, there were enough hints in what you said ("depending on camera angle", and later "painted black", but some words threw me off course (painted with shader, voxels (as soon as you paint on high poly it ceases to be voxels and becomes surface mesh)

image.thumb.png.691369070f07a6b7ccb398b7d97f9da8.png

Thanks for your help!

Finally I figure out the issue and steps to reproduce it.

1.In Sculpt room, apply reflective shader, eg: Glass1, to voxel volume.

2. In Paint room, fill a whole of volume with smart material, eg: dirt_2, to calculate occlusion and carvature. (here bake an environment which includes the watermark to some internal texture  so that a shader or the volume has a reflection term)

3. Back to Sculpt room, then apply non-reflective shader, eg: ColonialMarple. (but still remain a reflection term. The shader which has no reflection but the volume has)

Here there are my 3 questions.

1. In step-2, is it a spec that baking includes an environment?

2. After step-3,  a reflective term still remains on the volume despite non reflective shader's applied. Is it a spec? (at least I didn't see this in 4.x)

3. is it copyright-safe for baking an environment which has watermark?

regards,

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, roentgen said:

1. In step-2, is it a spec that baking includes an environment?

2. After step-3,  a reflective term still remains on the volume despite non reflective shader's applied. Is it a spec? (at least I didn't see this in 4.x)

2 : If you wish to bake light without environement, use "light from render room" instead of "BAKE_LIGHT_AND_REFLECTIONS"
(you could also still bake with reflections but disable the environement as source of light in the render room. Set up your own lights instead (not tested but should work)

3 : you have painted the object with a smart material, therefore now the shader you select in sculpt room has little to no effect. (if a shader uses a normal map this will still show at least)

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 10:09 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

So, on 11 for PC it works correctly? But 09 does not even on PC? There was an essential fix for voxel brushes in 11.

Thanks for the updates, your time and your hard work.

I have downloaded version 2021.15 mac and the issue persists.
I can't get the tablet to work properly, I still have that lag between strokes. (I have to wait a couple of seconds between strokes for it to work again. The issue appears in my sculp and paint room)

On the other hand, in my version of 3dcoat 4.9.72 it works perfectly.

I was not sure if it could be from my tablet but I have tried several and it remains the same. I don't know if this problem can be caused by external factors.

Does any Mac user have this same problem?

Thank you very much for your help.

The Fill and Super Relax tools in surface mode are great, and I've been using them, but when I try to fill a surface that is near a narrow valley with a steep angle, I get a deformation that pulls on the other side.

I've tried hiding the other side and freezing it, but the pulling phenomenon remains the same.
Is there any way to limit the angle of the affected side, or make it so that it is not affected by the hidden or frozen side?

20210730_171717.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kt2 said:

In 4.9, I can rotate the light source/HDRI by holding down Ctrl+Shift+LMB and moving the mouse.
The shortcut doesn't work in 2021.
Is it gone or can I set it up somewhere in the Preferences?

Figured that one out - the HDRI rotation shortcut doesn't work once the new Curve Editor is active.

Once in Fullscreen, the Curve Editor disappears from the top bar - so I wasn't aware that it was still active.

Closing the Curve Editor reinstates the HDRI rotation by shortcut functionality.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:43 PM, SreckoM said:

Works flawless on latest Ubuntu and Fedora!

Thanks for your kind words and thanks that you have noticed details! I have a question for you. There are two Linux-users who reported that the menu "Bake > Bake w/ Normal Map" crashes "3DCoat". They both are using "21.04". But I am unable to install "21.04" on my system (black screen after EFI, no errors from GRUB). "Bake w/ Normal Map" is working ok on my "20.04". Are you using "21.04"? Is "Bake w/ Normal Map" working on your system?

30.07.21 2021.16

- Old splines (from 4.9) may be enabled in preferences in the beta section. In this case, both approaches will work - new curves and old splines as different modes in E-panel.

- Fixed erratic artifacts in the toothpaste tool. This started the polishing round over that sort of tools.

- Snake/muscle/toothpaste tools streamlined and polished - more accurate stroke, smoothing, snapping now has sense, huge values of smoothing - as well (if need almost straight line). Muscle was renamed to Tube/muscle and has now two additional profiles - Bar and Alpha.

- Z-up option works correctly with spline-based tools.

- Relaxing algorithm for all similar tools updated.

- Pose tool in object mode sets gizmo into the center mass of selection and directs the axis along the main axis. It allows manipulating disconnected areas easily.

- Fixed lack of relaxation over the curvature map generated in ptex/mv approach. Now smooth degree is actual for mv/ptex curvature calculation. The curvature is calculated now correctly for ptex.

- Fixed problem when you can't duplicate stacked tool (like Build).

- UI problems of voxel brushes solved, better defaults, possibility to "Restore default".

- Brush engine streamlined, settings in the "Brush options" tabs are invisible if they preset in the tool (like spacing, jitter, paint w/ dabs). It is important to avoid confusion - were we to change parameters?

- Fixed loading of Curve nodes. (Previously, they loaded differently each time)

- Fixed problem when the UV-sets count is different in UV and paint rooms. This was happening if the names of UV sets are not unique. Now UV room synchronized with Paint as soon as UV-sets count difference detected.

- Fixed problem that Carve+CTRL now follows the alpha shape, better default Build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• Reputable Contributor

First thing I wanted to try with new build caused a crash.
I tried to capture it in video but could not (no crash after restart)
Steps :

-choose voxel sculpting on splash screen
-choose bust
-right click build tool > duplicate
-hover over build > end key > CTRL+1 (to assign hotkey)
-hover over new copy of build tool > end key > CTRL+2

-press CTRL+1
-press CTRL+2 > instability warning > save > 3dc closes

upon reopening 3d-Coat the hotkeys are still there, they work correctly, no more crash.
I could not start over because new problem : it seems that it is not possible to remove a hotkey (I expected del key to delete my temporary hotkey).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

- Old splines (from 4.9) may be enabled in preferences in the beta section. In this case, both approaches will work - new curves and old splines as different modes in E-panel.

It's nice to have an option to keep using those alongside the new type - both are useful in their own right!

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

- Snake/muscle/toothpaste tools streamlined and polished - more accurate stroke, smoothing, snapping now has sense, huge values of smoothing - as well (if need almost straight line). Muscle was renamed to Tube/muscle and has now two additional profiles - Bar and Alpha.

the following does not truly bother me but I find it does not really make sense :
Why are the tool options for the muscle tool on the top bar rather than in the options panel like for (most?) other tools ?

The Bar profile looks quite interesting, as for the alpha profile, I think it is brilliant and opens new possibilities.

It is still so very frustrating that there is no way to prevent the muscle tool from snapping to a distant object.

Radius pressure still has no effect on muscle tool.

What is "points to polygon" doing there in the sculpt room ? (look at end of video)  It would make sense if it were a "temporary" retopo layer, with options in the tool options panel to import it as surface, or as voxels into the current layer with thickness, or as cloth,  and a button to delete the temporary retopo layer.

- UI problems of voxel brushes solved, better defaults, possibility to "Restore default". 

Build tool does not have "restore default"  (only "restore default ordering")

• Advanced Member

@SERGYI Using GDB and "run > output" from inside the the 3DCoat2021.09 Folder I got this. I may have done this already. Again, I dont know if this helps.

Thread 1 "3dcoat" received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
__GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:49
49    ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c: No such file or directory.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Silas Merlin said:

Steps :

-choose bust

-press CTRL+1

upon reopening 3d-Coat the hotkeys are still there, they work correctly, no more crash.
I could not start over because new problem : it seems that it is not possible to remove a hotkey (I expected del key to delete my temporary hotkey).

could not recreate this.

9 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Steps :

-choose bust

-press CTRL+1

BackSpace deletes hotkey.

And I also was not able to reproduce.... If you have crash.txt in documents, please send it to me.

20 hours ago, SERGYI said:

Thanks for your kind words and thanks that you have noticed details! I have a question for you. There are two Linux-users who reported that the menu "Bake > Bake w/ Normal Map" crashes "3DCoat". They both are using "21.04". But I am unable to install "21.04" on my system (black screen after EFI, no errors from GRUB). "Bake w/ Normal Map" is working ok on my "20.04". Are you using "21.04"? Is "Bake w/ Normal Map" working on your system?

I am using Fedora 34 at the moment. Have another laptop with 21.04.  Will check do I get that error with it. About black screen, you are probably using Nvidia GPU? Secure Boot is off in BIOS? What driver version? (maybe separate topic?)

Edited by SreckoM
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

BackSpace deletes hotkey.

And I also was not able to reproduce.... If you have crash.txt in documents, please send it to me.

crash.txt

creation date of the file above corresponds to when this happened

EDIT :
I used backspace now
to delete hotkey.
restarted, did the steps again and no crash, sorry :/

Edited by Silas Merlin

• Advanced Member

No more 3d-crash

For me i am never saw crash log, it's just never created in 2021, and program freeze more often than crash.
Here just crash at import model for per pixel painting with keeping uv, model from marvelous designer it looks heavy for 3dcoat to bake AO and also it produce artifacts on some parts.
And no crash logs in Documents\3DCoat-2021
949409095_screenshot2021-07-31001.thumb.png.542a807e60d358a341d6922f02315c52.png

Hoodie Front pocket zipper.7z crash

Hoodie Front pocket zipper-fix-no crash for AO.7z for AO

Edited by sprayer

• Advanced Member

And if a crash happens, please send automatic bugreports. I am looking at crash reports these days often. My goal now is to make Coat a super stable and polished product. Huge thanks to everyone in this thread. You made this program much, much better. No more 3d-crash)

I like to test beta, but one small issue is when I use windows un-install aprication (from windows menu), it usually remain old beta version coat data.. And I can not remove those orphan data from this menu any more.

I usually use the tool (windows offer) to un-install many beta versions app, then it run un-install exe,and remove most of files. and directory.  but each version of 3d coat remain there.

(eg in this pic, I actually un-install most of beta version 3d coat use, un-install.exe of each version, but windows keep to show it as remain, and can not remove it)

So if you offer correct way to clean un-install, I keep try to install new version.. (recently, remain those old orphan data is somehow annoying  for me)

uninstallclean.thumb.JPG.3afd6fda82d9b69df31250b745c996b6.JPG

if you describe clean un-install way for betas (to up date new one) and windows (for my case), I appreciate. 

• Advanced Member

I'm finding the brush engine in 2021.16 rather erratic. Video shows basic setup in the Paint Room using a Wacom Intuos Pro ( drivers up to date ). When making the strokes there is a definite lag on the brush when lifting the stylus to start the next stroke causing a drag line in some cases and no stoke being placed at all (1:10 mins) on the 'k'. The quality of the 2021 stroke is very good, but its having to think once the stylus if lifted and that small pause interrupts the painting. Testing with V4 the stroke quality is not as good 2021 but there is no drag line between strokes.

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
17 minutes ago, tokikake said:

I like to test beta, but one small issue is when I use windows un-install aprication (from windows menu), it usually remain old beta version coat data.. And I can not remove those orphan data from this menu any more.

I usually use the tool (windows offer) to un-install many beta versions app, then it run un-install exe,and remove most of files. and directory.  but each version of 3d coat remain there.

(eg in this pic, I actually un-install most of beta version 3d coat use, un-install.exe of each version, but windows keep to show it as remain, and can not remove it)

So if you offer correct way to clean un-install, I keep try to install new version.. (recently, remain those old orphan data is somehow annoying  for me)

if you describe clean un-install way for betas (to up date new one) and windows (for my case), I appreciate. 

I used CCleaner to remove early 2021 builds :
-Tools > uninstall

-then > registry > scan for issues > review selected issues > no > fix all selected issues > close
-after that, folders remain in start menu. To remove them, go to c:programs and delete folders of old builds : they will vanish from start menu

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic