3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

6 hours ago, poeboi said:

I noticed this completely by chance, thought I would give a heads up

The curve Text tool or type tool from B55 is not present in latest 2021.x versions

PureRef_g9dhlrwq5d.thumb.jpg.71df55b0729edb444aa8898adf5fbf8f.jpg

This is removed temporarily till it will be polished. Currently, it is too raw, but will be available soon, the main job is done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
51 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

This is removed temporarily till it will be polished. Currently, it is too raw, but will be available soon, the main job is done.

Hi Andrew if you still keep polish UI, can I ask 3d coat add clear 3d global axis sign in 3d view?

I often lose current axis in 3d view, though I know 3d coat offer the small (it may change with camera view setting or view scale ) 3 color line as 3d axis sign but it really difficult to check which direction is global X or - Y as visual, and I do not think there is another option which can show axis with grid .

you may find axis arrow in many 3d aprication view.  (so do not attach sample of another)  do not request cool widgt etc but anyway hope it clear show each global axis direction (and on and off it need) along with current view.

sign.JPG

Edited by tokikake
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, jene said:

hello, 3D-coat 2021 is so good. thank you for your hard work.

this is not a technical issue. but it is important for Japanese people.

Japanese Language UI of new 3d-coat  is unnatural. probably it is automatic translation.

Japanese people are bothered by unnatural language.

dear translator of 3D-coat,

if possible,  I would like you to improvement that by your hand.

or, if there is not translator, please set up "Japanese translation discussion forum".

clean language is important for Japanese people.

(old version translation was splendid. )

most important thing is technical development of course.

but if possible,  please think on it.

thank you.

Yes, we will discuss it, I will contact you directly, Japanase community is very important to us.

The question - does the 19 build show all characters correctly on Huge/Extra large fonts mode?

2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Yes, we will discuss it, I will contact you directly, Japanase community is very important to us.

The question - does the 19 build show all characters correctly on Huge/Extra large fonts mode?

Supporting 4K and new font renderer look so sharp. It's awesome for me.

But I don't know this depends on Huge/Extra large font size, but sometime characters on tail are missing.

Some sentences on attached image, red characters, 象, 画, 出 and 択 are missing.

image.thumb.png.ae9033864f7930c161b7c8a5b0e7fd09.png

For easy to read, it looks that some characters need more spacing for japanese characters '、'(comma), '。'(period).

I think it would be better that you refer 'Advance' in font glyph instead of glyph metrics to render characters .

image.thumb.png.4ad2780b1428f93695231d5b6dc0d17f.png

Edited by roentgen

• Advanced Member

2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Mr.Andrew,  reply thank you.

I verified Large font mode. 

probably it is correct at the moment.  Good. 

(my PC is not 4K.  sorry I can not check it  perfectly.)

• Reputable Contributor
On 7/31/2021 at 7:54 PM, Silas Merlin said:

Oh !
I notice just now the "soft scrape" tick box for the scrape tool !
This is fantastic, because that means you can leave Cuda on in geometry menu and untick "soft scrape", instead of constantly having to disable Cuda when you (I, at least) want to use Scrape tool.

Yet, I have this question again, like for the muscle tool : why are the tool options for those tools on the top bar where you could fail to see them for months or years, instead of in the tool options panel ?

Oh! (again)
I realized just now that "soft crape" was already there in 4.9
Never saw it until today...
Top bar is just not the right place for tool options, is it ?

• Like 1

3.08.21 2021.20

- Fixed performance problem when Coat was able to freeze up to 30-40 seconds when you draw very quickly with voxel brushes. Now in complex situations, FPS may drop, but Coat will follow stroke and will not freeze. Performance of brushing increased overall.

- Fixed potentially random problem in voxel brush engine. In some cases, it may lead to the permanent disfunction of the tool - slowdown and other bad things. Possibly it was causing a random mesh disappearing problem reported in this thread.

- If you click on the slider and drag to change the value the SHIFT decreased speed 10x, CTRL - 2x, CTRL+SHIFT - 20x.

- UI tweaks to make 4K resolution look correctly for all font sizes.

- 2d paint creates the correct shape in E-modes.

- The offset problem is now fixed in a straight way, that was really tricky. Several last builds had a "hacky solution", the stroke was approximated by comparison of mouse and pen position. So the possible result was the lack of precision. Anyway, need to check if all that works for all configurations.

- Tools SpineTool and SurfaceSweptStrip polished.

• Thanks 3

• Reputable Contributor

Windows version 2021.20

Voxel mode.

Disappearing voxel model using Clay Engine---Base Clay Brush

To reproduce:

From New menu---Voxel Sculpting. Choose the third sphere to the right.

Select Base Clay brush under Clay Engine.

Make one stroke with the brush

Make another separate brush stoke

Sphere disappears.

Disappearing voxel model using Clay Engine---Base Clay Brush -> Cant replicate, sorry

---------------------------------------

Airbrush: Try this settings please

Radius & Depth 

Rad.jpg

X shortkey does not change color but this axis appears

X.jpg

I am glad about the growing pace of development of the program. Congratulations to the developer for purchasing a 4k monitor.

There is a bug in the .20 version. I can not close the start window (which is in the center of the screen). going to any room works and the window disappears.

• Thanks 1

I hope that the UV-mapping of the smart material can be automatically tiled and not produce seams. If it is impossible to solve it, I hope to increase the Tri-planar projection method to avoid seam problems, such as substance painter UV-projection and Tri-planar projection, Looking forward to your reply。 image.thumb.png.418938e4c645db905968c92e56d67562.pngimage.thumb.png.2eaa14af27d64536a7d8bb25b28c476a.pngimage.thumb.png.702e4eedab16c6f3ec26d022b474e589.png

Edited by Tubor

Hi @Andrew Shpagin

I tested 2021.20 this morning and voxel brush mode is much smoother for the voxel brushes - the performance issues have gone i.e. 4mn triangles is no longer an issue - but the base brush tool still has the performance issues and the mesh still disappears after you finish a stroke and try to a make a new one (as per the videos I sent previously). Although performance has improved for the voxel brushes, strange things still happen more often than not when stroking - as per the video below. Cuda was off below, but same issue if cuda is on.  Also, the fall-off setting for brushes no longer has any impact.

Thanks, Oli

• Advanced Member

I do not hope to add many request at once, but I think all primitives should have UV = with auto seam as default,  when I use "primitive" command, and choose primitives

in retopo or modeling room ^^;

I do not think I might need to unwrap cube or UV sphere, when I use those primitives to model quick and bake ..  I think there is no complain if 3d coat auto generate UV when we add primitives  because if user need to adjust them manually , they may do it. but as default we need default UV for primitives . (so now just to test bake,, I need to add cube seam,, and un-wrap, it is not need usually  (most of primitives may come with default UV)

Most of the models in the joint seem to be unusable.
When I select them, the models do not show up, and when I place them, only the joints are created and the models do not show up.

Also, would it be possible to protect the sculpting layer with a layer lock function?
Like in the paintroom, it would be safer if the surface tools were disabled when a locked layer was selected, and a warning was given that the layer was locked.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

52 minutes ago, oah1981 said:

Hi @Andrew Shpagin

I tested 2021.20 this morning and voxel brush mode is much smoother for the voxel brushes - the performance issues have gone i.e. 4mn triangles is no longer an issue - but the base brush tool still has the performance issues and the mesh still disappears after you finish a stroke and try to a make a new one (as per the videos I sent previously). Although performance has improved for the voxel brushes, strange things still happen more often than not when stroking - as per the video below. Cuda was off below, but same issue if cuda is on.  Also, the fall-off setting for brushes no longer has any impact.

Thanks, Oli

Please go to folder Docs/UserData/ and ZIP 2 folders - ToolsSettings and CustomTools and send to me (to e-mail). 

11 hours ago, digman said:

Windows version 2021.20

Voxel mode.

Disappearing voxel model using Clay Engine---Base Clay Brush

To reproduce:

From New menu---Voxel Sculpting. Choose the third sphere to the right.

Select Base Clay brush under Clay Engine.

Make one stroke with the brush

Make another separate brush stoke

Sphere disappears.

Digman, please do the same.

27 minutes ago, tokikake said:

I do not hope to add many request at once, but I think all primitives should have UV = with auto seam as default,  when I use "primitive" command, and choose primitives

I do not think I might need to unwrap cube or UV sphere, when I use those primitives to model quick and bake ..  I think there is no complain if 3d coat auto generate UV when we add primitives  because if user need to adjust them manually , they may do it. but as default we need default UV for primitives . (so now just to test bake,, I need to add cube seam,, and un-wrap, it is not need usually  (most of primitives may come with default UV)

I think it is rather worth placing seams. If you placed multiple primitives, one UV set per prim is too rich. But pressing Unwrap if seams set if relatively easy.

9 minutes ago, kain_ty said:

Most of the models in the joint seem to be unusable.
When I select them, the models do not show up, and when I place them, only the joints are created and the models do not show up.

Also, would it be possible to protect the sculpting layer with a layer lock function?
Like in the paintroom, it would be safer if the surface tools were disabled when a locked layer was selected, and a warning was given that the layer was locked.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I tried empty scene in surface approach, opened Joints tool. Selected Brass pipes folder. Selected something. Clicked on the ground. Model appeared.

Please repeat that steps. What will happen?

• Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I think it is rather worth placing seams. If you placed multiple primitives, one UV set per prim is too rich. But pressing Unwrap if seams set if relatively easy.

Ah yes when generate many primitives then, auto addUV set  for each may  may cause issue about 3d coat. 

so press un-wrap then auto seam and generate is good.  but I do not know, it is relatievly easy or not for dev ^^;  

or if generate UV offer as option when use primitive tool, it is more welcom I fee. (and set auto-seam option  with un-wrap is welcom too, when the mesh have no Seam)

Edited by tokikake

43 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

サーフェスアプローチで空のシーンを試し、ジョイントツールを開きました。選択した真ちゅう製パイプフォルダ。何かを選択しました。地面をクリックしました。モデル登場。

その手順を繰り返してください。何が起こるか?

I see the same phenomenon with objects in BrassPipes.
I can place the SoftBrick, SoftBrickEdge, and SoftbrickSmall in the Default folder, but for the others, the model does not show up and only the green joints increase.

20210804_164310.jpg.f4acc30861125c65d8f0779d309ec68a.jpg

Hello. I just have found new 2021 release video and it's awesome! Can 3dCoat become an ultimate modeling solution that combines all sorts of modeling tasks like sculpt modelling retopo and CAD?

As a modeller I would like to avoid switching software when I'm working on big projects. Some tasks should be done in CAD and some should be done in Sculpt. Some of the projects are heavy and consist of 50 subtools and I need to retopo all that. When I retopo hard-surface meshes I need pure modeling tools not that retopo tools that snap to the surface.

You are doing a great work!

• Thanks 2

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, tokikake said:

I have not tested but I think I don't need to : In 3d-Coat a paint object cannot be without UV's, therefore, if you have not marked seams/unwrapped before baking, 3d-Coat will do it for you.
I think this is perfect, no change needed in that respect.

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic