3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Contributor
>>3DCoat-2021-94 
>>Sat Jan 22 22:21:17 2022 +0200

>>- Much much better quality of Copy clay. Correct seamless merging the shape, CTRL to negate the shape. It works well in both - voxel and surface mode.

>>- Tool "Smart Extrude" is modified. Snapping of Edges if defining by "Auto Snap". Smart Retopo-> Mesh frequency can modify by "Ctrl + Mouse Wheel".

>>- Copy clay does not switch from voxels to surface after getting to other tool, it voxelizes the resulting surface. Of course this tool in general is far from perfect, especially >>for voxels, needs complete re-making.

>>- The lasso in E-panel got "relaxation" parameter for more accurate contours. In addition, the cut edge become perfectly smooth with the lasso.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copy clay has really improved. Yes, at some point a pure Voxel Tool would be best. But for now it is really useable tool.

You guys do amazing work! Thanks.

• Advanced Member
49 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

There will be the build 95 with set of corrections, tomorrow I will go to short vacation (snowboarding, mountains, fresh air for the brain) till Saturday.

The 95 seems to be stable, but I will not set it officially as stable before vacation.

enjoy! , keep the mind healthy

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, TheFlow said:

Maybe I miss something, but could the "Freeze" brush be added to the "Ctrl+Shift" menu? I'd love to have that functionality. 

image.png

That'd be welcome indeed! :good:

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

can 3d coat set up a giving page or subscription to help with development costs... seeing as we get perpetual licenses and that money only goes so far... maybe if we all give 5 a month you could have enough to hire more staff and take the pressure off of the team

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:21 PM, TheFlow said:

Maybe I miss something, but could the "Freeze" brush be added to the "Ctrl+Shift" menu? I'd love to have that functionality. 

image.png

You can assign a hotkey to the Freeze brush (like F for example) by hovering over the tool and hitting the END key > make the assignment. Not only can you invoke it at any time with the hotkey, but you have Sticky Key Functionality, which can make it even more useful. Let's say you are using a Clay Brush and suddenly want to freeze mask an area around the eye...you can hold the assigned hotkey for the Freeze tool and paint that mask....let up when you are done an 3DCoat immediately switches back to the brush you were using.

• Thanks 6

5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

You can assign a hotkey to the Freeze brush (like F for example) by hovering over the tool and hitting the END key > make the assignment. Not only can you invoke it at any time with the hotkey, but you have Sticky Key Functionality, which can make it even more useful. Let's say you are using a Clay Brush and suddenly want to freeze mask an area around the eye...you can hold the assigned hotkey for the Freeze tool and paint that mask....let up when you are done an 3DCoat immediately switches back to the brush you were using.

You, sir, are a life saver. Thank you! I would still like to add other functions to Ctrl+Shift, but this is an insanely powerful tool to learn about after what.... 7 years or so since I first got 3D Coat? I'm throwing a little party here. Thanks again.:yahoo:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, TheFlow said:

You, sir, are a life saver. Thank you! I would still like to add other functions to Ctrl+Shift, but this is an insanely powerful tool to learn about after what.... 7 years or so since I first got 3D Coat? I'm throwing a little party here. Thanks again.:yahoo:

It's news to me too after six years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Preferences > General > Shader debug mode is turned OFF ?

I had it OFF, I have also tried to activate it and it has happened again.
Then this message appeared to start again.

I have tried to reproduce it in the previous version 2021.83 Mac. (shade debug mode OFF and ON)
Does not appear.

3dcoat_error3.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
22 minutes ago, Arvart said:

Hi, can somebody give me advise how to rebind "V" shortcut in paint room? My lefthanded wife have a problem with it. And if here is no way, may be it would be good idea to make this possible.

V is pick colour, yes ?
Look at the bottom of Windows>Panels

image.png

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 3:29 PM, digman said:

Possible bug: 

Windows version: 2021.39

This is importing the cube from the New Menu,  Paint w/ Deep Displacement (Micro-Vertex). 

The regular Brush and fill tool do not recognize the Smart Material depth information.  

The above only creates a smooth displacement.

Side Note ---- Stencils work correctly with the fill tool and regular brush.

The Airbrush does recognize the Smart Material depth information.

Steps to reproduce:

New Menu,  Paint w/ Deep Displacement (Micro-Vertex).

Choose the cube and subdivide upon import at 2k or 4k resolution plus 4 million or 16 million ( millions of polygons) in the import panel for 3DC's internal use.

Select a default Smart Material that shows good depth information

Turn on relief mode under the View window.

Use the fill tool and the Regular brush to see the error in the displacement map using a smart material.

Use the airbrush to see the correct displacement applied using a smart material.

I second this

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

On 1/28/2022 at 6:43 AM, TheFlow said:

You are very welcome. The video is rather old and will be updated soon, but it still functions the same way in 3DCoat 2021.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Hi!

I'm just playing around with SmartMaterials and Shaders.

Paintroom:  exr files for depth channel just shows black image and its also not working for painting depth. Jpg works fine.

I join the Ctrl+Shift option for freeze party :gamer1: and I also didn't know what the sticky keys really do until now.

Have a nice weekend you all!

• Advanced Member

Welcome back @Andrew Shpagin!

I've submitted this bug report, and this wish that would make me very happy. :)

Regarding sticky keys I have this problem when using Spacebar to move the Pose tool gizmo.

Many thanks in advance for having a look.

Edited by Metin Seven

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I am back, healthy, and alive, regardless on speed :p:

Continuing to work!

Are there any hotkeys issues in last build?

Welcome back! When you are asking,

We were talking about 'sticky keys'. I've noticed, if you use the freeze tool in Sculpt Mode, in sticky mode (hold keypressed) and paintselect, my Palettes on the right start to jitter around. Otherwise I'm fine. :good2:

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Silas Merlin said:

someone with this build on win10 is indeed having a hotkey issue.
with pose tool, holding down LMB on an arrow of the gizmo, hitting Space Bar brings up the quick access instead of the box to enter a numerical value.

(I am unable to reproduce on my machine).

Yeah, I hadn't initially mentioned that in my previous post because I'm confused whether the Pose tool line is meant to be Spacebar-dragged, or if Spacebar dragging is purely for working with shapes in the Pose tool's Paint mode?

Anyway, here's the report.

Edited by Metin Seven

hi andrew

im using 2021.57 atm

i tried using the latest beta but ran into problems pretty fast. pose tool was having glitches its paint masking when i went into translate mode to move it. then i was doing some simple sculpting and vox hide etc and got some crash. not sure what caused it. no log popped up to send bug report. when i tried to re open a save file from what looked like all my vox parts being there, upon opening again most of them were now missing.

i strongly feel that you should stop focusing on new features and instead focus on making this app more stable and bug free. im sure new cool features are more fun to work on but as a couple years user of coat and a 20 plus professional 3d game environment artist, if this program doesn't get more stable i wont be able to keep using it. i just cant afford to lose so much time losing work or dealing with instability. i love whats here and what your creating and want to use coat and even wish to replace zbrush or at least use coat and zb together but getting nailed by bugs and glitches is brutal. opening a file to find more than half of your hard work and time gone is just too much to take.

i will submit all the reports im able to but please get a robust QA department going or outsourced and start to reduce these glitches and bugs so people like me will really look at coat as an integral part of our pipelines. if i was to recommend coat to coworkers at this point id say: its amazing software, extremely innovative, but...it doesn't deliver consistency and stability so use it but be very aware your kind of swimming at your own risk and there are some hungry sharks in those waters.

i look at your being aware of the need to focus on stability as a very good sign. thanks for making such interesting software and i look forward to hopefully using a later version thats been made stable.

ps. the pose tool was glitching out because of symmetry being on. i tested this this morning and verified it. paint selection in pose was painted across the symmetry plane in this case. maybe if the paint didnt cross the sym plane it would have worked idk. was unexpected tho either way. made me go back to .57 sadly

Edited by marsmotion
more info to disclose
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

I agree with @marsmotion that some more attention to stability and bug fixing would be much appreciated. But I'd also like to state that I am really enthusiastic about 3D Coat since my return and upgrade to version 2021. The new brush system feels better, and I think 3D Coat deserves much more attention / publicity in the CG media compared to the other big players in 3D creation.

I'm coming from ZBrush and Blender, and ZBrush will very probably become subsciption-only soon, with Maxon price tags. That will render it useless to me as a small freelancer. Blender is a great overall 3D tool, but its Sculpt Mode development is a bit messy lately, with a separate Sculpt Dev build that's accumulating confusing options in various rollouts and tabs, and instability issues come with the new functionality.

I've started and am maintaining an informative thread about 3D-Coat at the Blender Artists forum.

Edited by Metin Seven
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, marsmotion said:

hi andrew

im using 2021.57 atm

i tried using the latest beta but ran into problems pretty fast. pose tool was having glitches its paint masking when i went into translate mode to move it. then i was doing some simple sculpting and vox hide etc and got some crash. not sure what caused it. no log popped up to send bug report. when i tried to re open a save file from what looked like all my vox parts being there, upon opening again most of them were now missing.

i strongly feel that you should stop focusing on new features and instead focus on making this app more stable and bug free. im sure new cool features are more fun to work on but as a couple years user of coat and a 20 plus professional 3d game environment artist, if this program doesn't get more stable i wont be able to keep using it. i just cant afford to lose so much time losing work or dealing with instability. i love whats here and what your creating and want to use coat and even wish to replace zbrush or at least use coat and zb together but getting nailed by bugs and glitches is brutal. opening a file to find more than half of your hard work and time gone is just too much to take.

i will submit all the reports im able to but please get a robust QA department going or outsourced and start to reduce these glitches and bugs so people like me will really look at coat as an integral part of our pipelines. if i was to recommend coat to coworkers at this point id say: its amazing software, extremely innovative, but...it doesn't deliver consistency and stability so use it but be very aware your kind of swimming at your own risk and there are some hungry sharks in those waters.

i look at your being aware of the need to focus on stability as a very good sign. thanks for making such interesting software and i look forward to hopefully using a later version thats been made stable.

ps. the pose tool was glitching out because of symmetry being on. i tested this this morning and verified it. paint selection in pose was painted across the symmetry plane in this case. maybe if the paint didnt cross the sym plane it would have worked idk. was unexpected tho either way. made me go back to .57 sadly

Bugfix is always first priory. But I may fix only if I may reproduce. Seems I have not understood what happens. If someone may reproduce, please help.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic