3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Reputable Contributor
On 1/30/2022 at 12:05 PM, Metin Seven said:

Yeah, I hadn't initially mentioned that in my previous post because I'm confused whether the Pose tool line is meant to be Spacebar-dragged, or if Spacebar dragging is purely for working with shapes in the Pose tool's Paint mode?

Anyway, here's the report.

Whenever a user LMB clicks + holds + SPACEBAR, on a Transform Gizmo widget (even in the Retopo/Modeling Room), 3DCoat is supposed to open a parameter box where the user can enter a numeric value to give a precise amount of Rotation, scale or move. In this case, it seems to be a bug

• Contributor

Hi.

-Could you please check .exr files as Displacement in Smart Materials? (no depth) 3dcoat always pick's it from the Quixel zip, and I've to change to jpg.

-It would be cool if new shaders and Smartmaterials land in a newly created folder, lets say 'new' or 'downladed'. They are not easy to find if many materials are in Default.

Thank you so much!

Hi,

When I launch 2021.96 I get a black screen that has the title bar but no menu, launch dialog with options, workspaces or anything else but a black screen, anyone seen this?

I uninstalled it and reinstalled 2021.96 with the same result of a black screen, reinstalling 2021.95 over the top of 2021.96 works as expected.

Thanks,

Andrew.

• Contributor
10 minutes ago, Drocket said:

Hi,

When I launch 2021.96 I get a black screen that has the title bar but no menu, launch dialog with options, workspaces or anything else but a black screen, anyone seen this?

I uninstalled it and reinstalled 2021.96 with the same result of a black screen, reinstalling 2021.95 over the top of 2021.96 works as expected.

Thanks,

Andrew.

I think they will reupp 96 later again. Its not there right now. :search:

• Contributor

Really want to present this idea briefly for an additional method of making selection with pose or freeze tool, possibly even hide tool. Thx in advance for any consideration:

What if, could use the intersection area between geometries to "paint" freeze and pose area, or hide area. 

Here is an illustration to try and show what I mean. I think it could be handy for many situations for "precise" freeze / pose in 3d space. Additionally, maybe soft falloff area could be adjustable via something like volumetric distance in all directions around "source" if that makes sense.

image.thumb.png.962a58b8a9b63691ab2d668103b342dd.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Beta tool "volumetric painting" is awesome !

Is there a way to transfer colour from vertex painting to voxels ?
Turning from surface to voxels the paint vanishes.
and "bake colour from visible volumes" turns to surface.
Also projector "fill layer with projection" turns to surface.

I would like to transfer paint from vertex colour to this volumetric painting method, here is why :
When editing 3d scans, colours are useful to keep track of what area you are working on. for example if you want to restore holes that were not captured by photogrammetry. Vertex colour gives good enough information, but it is much easier to work on voxels.
when you turn to voxels, you have access to more powerful tools, but you lose colour currently.
If we could transfer colour to volumetric painting.... wow !
  • Thanks 2

• Reputable Contributor
38 minutes ago, ajz3d said:
  0002521: 3D Coat crashes every time on "File->Save As":

https://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2521

Can you test on a simple object from the splash screen? If it does not crash with one of those, then the workfile needs to be sent to support (there is an option from the Help Menu, in case you were not already aware of it), so they can diagnose the crash.

• Contributor

Hi @AbnRanger,

Yes, I tested it with different scene content. From default sculpt objects, through some retopo primitives, to default paint objects. The only thing that varies is how long the file chooser is displayed before the program crashes. Sometimes it's about a second, sometimes a fraction of it.

So it doesn't seem to be related to what is currently in the scene, because the crash happens right after 3D Coat displays the file chooser and before it dumps contents of the scene to disk. Even if I invoke "Save As" in an empty scene, right after launching 3D Coat.

It goes like this: file chooser shows up, and a second (or a fraction of a second) later 3D Coat process is gone.

There are some other aspects of the program (all related to file chooser is some way) that are always crashing 3DC. Like selecting some arbitrary directories (like my home path) with file chooser that was invoked by "Choose folder" button in "Edit->Relocate 3DCoat's data". Or "File->Open", which always crashes, like the "File->Save As".

On the other hand, some file chooser calls won't crash the program, like "Select Mesh" from the Import tool of the Sculpt room. Or Import/Export in Retopo Room, "Script->Run Script", "Edit->Preferences->Save/Load/Save Theme". Those guys work OK.

There are probably more of those that work, as well as those that don't, but I don't have time to test them all.

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, ajz3d said:

Hi @AbnRanger,

Yes, I tested it with different scene content. From default sculpt objects, through some retopo primitives, to default paint objects. The only thing that varies is how long the file chooser is displayed before the program crashes. Sometimes it's about a second, sometimes a fraction of it.

So it doesn't seem to be related to what is currently in the scene, because the crash happens right after 3D Coat displays the file chooser and before it dumps contents of the scene to disk. Even if I invoke "Save As" in an empty scene, right after launching 3D Coat.

It goes like this: file chooser shows up, and a second (or a fraction of a second) later 3D Coat process is gone.

There are some other aspects of the program (all related to file chooser is some way) that are always crashing 3DC. Like selecting some arbitrary directories (like my home path) with file chooser that was invoked by "Choose folder" button in "Edit->Relocate 3DCoat's data". Or "File->Open", which always crashes, like the "File->Save As".

On the other hand, some file chooser calls won't crash the program, like "Select Mesh" from the Import tool of the Sculpt room. Or Import/Export in Retopo Room, "Script->Run Script", "Edit->Preferences->Save/Load/Save Theme". Those guys work OK.

There are probably more of those that work, as well as those that don't, but I don't have time to test them all.

I tested it on my end, and FILE > SAVE AS works fine. Can you (temporarily) rename your MY DOCUMENTS/3DCOAT-2021 folder > Restart the application and see if that helps? If so, some .xml file probably got corrupted

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 8:28 PM, Drocket said:

Hi,

Thanks,

Andrew.

11 hours ago, Elemeno said:

.96 still just black screen

any ideas when its fixed

Same here.

I'm just guessing, but it could have to do with the "AMD Polaris chip".

• Like 1

• Contributor

5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I tested it on my end, and FILE > SAVE AS works fine. Can you (temporarily) rename your MY DOCUMENTS/3DCOAT-2021 folder > Restart the application and see if that helps? If so, some .xml file probably got corrupted

Yes, purging 3DC config path helped with "File->Save As" and "File->Open". Thank you, @AbnRanger.

Frankly, I find this odd that a relatively new 3D Coat configuration gets corrupted so easily. I didn't change much in the settings. So the question is why 3D Coat's XML parser keeps corrupting files that it processes? For what it's worth, I updated Mantis report with a recursive diff of XML files from "factory" and corrupted config directories.

Of course, the problem with file chooser is not 100% resolved because selecting an arbitrary path in "Edit->Relocate 3DCoat's data" still crashes 3D Coat in the same manner. But I guess it's a subject for a separate bug report.

Edited by ajz3d

Also I got pretty big FPS drops down after some operations with layers like copy layers, deleting layers and other. And same FPS drops I got when I open big file after other big one. Actually not so big files, around 50kk tris at all, usualy my computer render it easy, but now sometimes I just have to restart 3d-Coat after some operations.

Edited by Arvart

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic