3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

On 4/9/2022 at 10:30 PM, allanmrtn said:

Guys what do you all think of a checkbox option to auto-delete hidden mesh when Voxelize Hidden is performed? Should be fairly simple to introduce and would save so much time not having to keep going back to the original object and deleting the hidden geometry that now has been voxelized.

Hey @Gorbatovsky

can you confirm if this is feasible? cheers

Since I installed 2022.16 I think, I have crashes whenever I do kinda anything on surface meshes, like re-symetrizing, cutting ect.. it's systematic, always does it, and on a variety of scenes as I worked on 6 different characters. Maybe the fact that the meshes are more than a million poly, but I have 64Go Ram and RTX3090.
One interesting point is that I did seem to have managed to symmetrized, and then crashed, as I can see the mesh looks symmetric greyed out behind the crash message.

image.thumb.png.a4f6903e742462cd0c81ca68bdcc8c18.png

Edited by liok

Ah I thought .16 was latest stable, as it's the one offered for download on the main page, will try in .21. I'm always a bit afraid to instal a new version in a middle of a project because of the possibility to loose the prefs. I still never managed to build an alpha/stencil/strips library in Coat as I lost it each I did, I redid all my tools from scratch since the ones from 4.8 were not compatible/not doing anything anymore. It would be nice like in photoshop to be able to delete all default alphas/brushes, and only keep our own, maybe in a single file that we can backup like in photoshop, even if then we cannot manage them one by one in windows.

Ah yes, when we instal a beta, it actually erase our current Coat instal, so if there's an issue we can't go back. Installing manually with another name might cause the Space mouse 3DConnexion to again consider it a different program and lose all prefs. The way Blender does it is perfect I believe, you never loose any prefs and betas are just unzipped where you want.
Here I'm in the middle of a project so I'm not sure it's worth taking the risk installing .21, I could instal it in "\3DCoat-2022-BETA21" for example but it might overwrite again my prefs.

image.png.cb6bc8fa8f2612c1269441ce84621949.png

• Advanced Member

also i know theres probably a technical reason behind this ... but why can i have 20*20 million polygon meshes but not a single mesh with 400 million? every though im clearly looking at 400 million polygons just seperate

what if we had a way to isolate what you was sculpting and freeze the rest of the mesh and a degrade in polys when youre panning or rotating would be nice to speed up the movement

I've been trying to make displacement work in Coat for years, I still can't figure out how to make even a sphere with displacement.
What I understand is the mesh needs to be quads, because Coat cannot display subdivided/tesselated triangle/decimated mesh.
And once you bake with normal map, it's over, baking the displacement is not possible anymore unless you're willing to delete all the work done in paint room.
So you need to bake displacement from the start, but "Flat displacement" creates these issues like the topology appears in the displacement:

image.thumb.png.ceb178c6be9b5bf36072cc1875ab3643.png
And the Per pixel painting w/ displacement seems to work even if it bakes the displacement in each sculpt object layer instead of in a displacement layer, but it's clearly written in the tooltip to not use it.. for.. reasons.
image.thumb.png.c5d6b90f648f671c28e5bdcea6a28e7c.png
I think all this baking menu should be scrapped and remade properly, with kinda just one option, "bake", and then it just bakes, the depth, in a normal map layer, that will be useful for small details, and in a displacement layer, that you can toggle on if you want tesselation in Coat and displacement in your render engine..
I'm art directing a series adapted from a video game, I would love to convince the production to use Coat, but if even after years of research I can't manage to do the simplest thing like having displacement, it's really discouraging.

So I guess to do a film asset, instead of baking with normal map, you "Bake w/per Pixel Painting w/ Displacement" (that's a way too long name) and you don't care about the tooltip stating "It does not work well", because it seems to work, as opposed to Flat displacement that has this topology artifacts no matter what you do.

If that's the official way to make a non game asset, I really think this button should be named something like "BAKE WITH DISPLACEMENT + NORMAL" and the tooltip should be erased, removed.

Or like really ideally having just one single bake button, and be able to toggle OFF displacement if you don't need it and if it slows down baking time.. but this baking menu has always been so extremely confusing and over crowded with words. It seems it's all residues and bits that stayed there since 2006 or something, and that it should have long been cleaned and simplified into one or tow buttons, normal or disp.

Edited by liok

Hi liok

To keep thread order, please open a new one if you need to ask about 3DC tools.
Leave this to questions and bug reports related to 3DC development.

Please copy your question about displacement into this thread.

Thanks

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I report many malfunctions and strange behavior regarding the hotkeys in general e in hotkeys mapping.:dash2:

Last one I found: I wanted to map  two curve tools, indicated by the red arrows in the picture. ((IMHO, when drawing curves these are the two most important tools and in photoshop they are mainly mapped to alt ctrl, for quick access)).

Scrnst_129.jpg.b63724ed71c64579e363ee771b1bb907.jpg

I tried these combination:
alt+A for the first and alt+S for the second: it doesn't work.

then I tried alt+space and ctrl+space: it doesn't work.

then I tried alt+1 and alt+2: it doesn't work

Another very annoying thing is this: switching from one tool to another via hokey doesn't work always and in every condition.

Edited by rubeos

• Advanced Member
On 4/22/2022 at 4:09 PM, Carlosan said:

But latest version is 2022.21 :huh:

Did you test it ?

I too thought 2022.16 is the latest as that is what your website seems to indicate.

So why the discrepancy?

Cheers & many thanks...

3DC-DOWNLOADS.JPG

3DC-DOWNLOADS02.JPG

• Advanced Member

With version 2022.16 and now version 2022.21 I've been having this perplexing issue with autoretopo option on this particular 3D scan of a lion. I do not have this issue with 3DC 2021 as I tried it several times today in 3DC 2021.

The issue I've having is autoretopo is constantly creating a symmetric retop'd model despite the fact I have symmetry turned off. This happens in both 2022.16 and now 2022.21 which I just installed. It does not happen when I choose InstantMeshes option in 2022.16 or 2022.21. Only in 2022.16 and 2022.21 when I choose autorepto with 3DC's native autoretopo option.

3DC 2021  does not have this issue.

3DC-2022.JPG

3DC-2022-INSTANT-MESH.JPG

• Advanced Member

3DC 2021 autoretopo with 3DC native option.

I DO NOT have this issue.

This is NOT InstantMeshes.

3DC-2021.JPG

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

3DC 2022.21 - I still have this issue.

3DC-2022-21.JPG

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

Other then this issue the autoretopo option is fantastic. And many thanks to Andrew and the 3DC team for the improvements. 

I can only imagine the HELL you guys are going through in Ukraine and fully understand this 3DC issue I'm having is very tiny when compared to the daily strife you are going through.

Take care of yourselves and family first and foremost.

God Bless and keep up the fight against tyranny.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I thought I would try the old style quad option in 3DC 2022.21 and it did produce a non symmetric model.

But the topology is nowhere as good as the native option.

3DC-2022-21.-OLD-QUAD.JPG

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic