3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member
22 minutes ago, Allabulle said:

Can you elaborate on that, please? Its seems to work fine, here (3DCoat 2022.47).

the tool vox_smart pinch should crimp vertices together and smooth the outer area...

my tool brush just smooths everything... no pinching occurs

• Contributor

@Elemeno Linux 2022.48 build is not far away since it's already been released for Mac. As soon as I have it, I'll check it out.

Meanwhile, I assume you have checked your brush depth is higher than zero. Just in case, it'd be worth a check.

Edited by Allabulle

• Contributor

@Elemeno You are right: Vox Smart Pinch only smoothes, no pinching whatsoever. 3DCoat 2022.48 (Windows).

Nope: it actually works in 2022.48 too. On a flat(ish) surface it may look like it isn't working. Yet on a more protuberant, extruded part, it clearly works.

Edited by Allabulle

• Reputable Contributor

I am working on scans (repairing the high, producing a new mesh, unwrapping it).

The current workflow I am experimenting with is to make a low with 50k or so, with quads where it matters most. then mark seams and keep a safe copy of the file at that point.
After that, I use "Smooth CC", which subdivides and relaxes the mesh (the people want a dense mesh for their scans)

For the current statue, I need to separate the mesh into two polygroups. Because of that, I can't use smooth cc. Instead, I tried to select all and do "smooth selection CC".
The problem I notice with that is it does not behave like smooth cc : the resulting subdivided mesh does not snap to the high. My guess is that this is a bug ?

the other problem I have is that after subdivide I feel I need to unwrap again, because the uv preview window shows red and blue polygons, which makes me think the unwrap is bad and needs to be done again.
I don't know if that is so. Should I keep the unwrap from the low ?
Anyway, when I unwrap the subdivided mesh, I encounter a new problem : islands that unwrapped well before subdividing suddenly unwrap badly (overlaps). Again I don't know if that is expected behaviour. (so I go back to the previously saved copy and mark more seams before I subdivide).

Not really expecting answers here but advice would surely be appreciated, thank you.

• Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, tcwik said:

How I can turnoff voxelizeing [like move tool have] when I change between tools standard and clay engine??

not sure i understand ...
"voxels" are always active unless you change the type to surface mode..

voxels recalculate to keep topology equal so you dont get tearing or stretching

• Contributor
On 9/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, Ctc_nick said:

'Cast shadow' light comes from strange direction.

------------------------------------------------

Solved: If you cant move the Shadow light, double click the contrast button! 

set_sun.png.8f775d6f3900efc2adc6e132a2092165.png
Hi!

I was in high contrast Mode, that is why I could not set Sun Position for 'Cast Shadows'. Everything is working  :unknw:

I hope everybody is doing well!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, tcwik said:

but U can.'t use voxel tools on S ;]

you don't want the model to recalculate with each stroke... unfortunately that's how the voxels mode works...

that is literally the only difference ... if you had voxels that didn't recalculate then you would have surface mode

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Elemeno said:

no its where i am selection the box area is larger than way im actually highlighting...
the pose falloff is how much of the area is affected

Yes, I understand. But I could replicate your problem by the falloff curve.  Mine is affecting the border of the selection. Try switch to line in pose tool, edit the falloff curve and make rectangular selection after that. I think pose falloff defines the transition between selected and unselected.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Ctc_nick said:

Yes, I understand. But I could replicate your problem by the falloff curve.  Mine is affecting the border of the selection. Try switch to line in pose tool, edit the falloff curve and make rectangular selection after that. I think pose falloff defines the transition between selected and unselected.

yea it does fix the weird artifacts... but hopefully they still notice this as a bug

i need 100% when affecting pose areas .... editing the falloff below that makes the area too smooth or doesn't shape correct

• Like 1

• Contributor

The last Linux build (2022.48) doesn't work in Manjaro due probably to more up to date python version installed than Ubuntu's. I'll figure out how to work around it.

Thanks for the build, though! :good:

Edit: Build 2022.47 still works, though. Now I'm confused. @SERGYI Could you  please take a look if it works fine? Have python requirements changed in 2022.48? Thanks!

Edit: My system has Python 3.10.7. 3Dcoat's build 2022.47 works fine with it, as stated. But build 2022.48 complains that it misses Python 3.8

Edited by Allabulle

Hello, today I have realized that "make sharp edges along UV seams" at the baking process is broken in last versions. Below screenshots where you could see actual model in the retopo room and backed resault imported in blender. Looks like sharp edges were generated along automaticaly generated seams but model use custome seams. 3d-Coat version is 2022.47. Looks like it works like "automaticaly smoothing groups", but I'm sure that I checked right checkbox.
54534db745998e88700d36067e2f3209.jpg
e68ef6c28442cbd0b09b166f9f577a5d.jpg

Edited by Arvart

• Advanced Member

On linux. The latest linux build wont launch. "error while loading shared libraries: libpython3.8.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". Library is updated to 3.10

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I've started testing out the latest build 2022.49 with multires sculpting and it is very promising!

Not exactly what I expected as it seems we're still forced to work with a triangulated mesh.  But beyond that, the sculpt feel and sense of control was great.  Being able to step up and down through subdivision levels is fantastic and the results always felt predictable.  Being able to sculpt on a predictable mesh and get more detail or less detail when necessary works great.

Things I noticed

Good:

• Cavity effects on shaders looks way better...is there some kind of smoothing algorithm going on?  Or does it just look better on a subdiv mesh?  Mind you, I still have to dial down the cavity settings as I think the default cavity and bulge values are too high on some of the default shaders.
  • Sculpting feels really nice and stepping through levels is smooth
  • Performance is great on high poly sculpts
  • Smoothing worked effectively
  • Detail work is a lot better now.  Way more predictable and easy to control.  But this might just be me working at higher polycounts that I typically do while testing.

Bugs/Needs Work:

• I noticed some weird graphical glitches in the UI, corresponding with slight pauses in the application.  Not sure what caused it, but I haven't experienced this in prior versions of the program.
  • I experienced frequent times when tweaking shader settings or when using the render room that the program would pause for a long time to do simple adjustments.
  • The base level sculpt layer's topology is important...If I switch from a voxel mesh to a surface mesh, the topology isn't that clean and it leads to artifacts in the sculpt at high subdivision levels when I smooth things out.
  • I noticed that all the different smoothing options aren't available, which is understandable since the topology is not dynamic...but I miss anti-bump smoothing for the reason above
  • My mesh got destroyed at one point stepping down below the base level.  The destroyed mesh was carried through to the higher subd levels.

Missing:

• The ability to bring in a quad or ngon mesh to the sculpt space while retaining vertex order and UVs
  • The ability to work seamlessly between a model or retopo mesh and a sculpt room multires sculpt.  Being able to add/delete faces, edgeloops, extrusions, etc. and have that reflected in the sculpt.
  • Subdivision style options
    • Straight subdivision
    • Whatever you currently have (it's great!)
    • Catmull-Clark
    • Microvertex

Of note, but not necessarily good or bad:

• It seems that each subdivision level stores it's own shader settings...I wasn't expecting this, I don't know how to feel about it to be honest.  It could be good or bad depending on the circumstance.

I haven't tested all the brushes yet, but I was able to get some really great results that feel very similar to what I would want to achieve in a program like Zbrush for detail work and generating skin textures and wrinkles with brush alphas or just building up forms.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, gbball said:

I've started testing out the latest build 2022.49 with multires sculpting and it is very promising!

Not exactly what I expected as it seems we're still forced to work with a triangulated mesh.  But beyond that, the sculpt feel and sense of control was great.  Being able to step up and down through subdivision levels is fantastic and the results always felt predictable.  Being able to sculpt on a predictable mesh and get more detail or less detail when necessary works great.

Things I noticed

Good:

• Cavity effects on shaders looks way better...is there some kind of smoothing algorithm going on?  Or does it just look better on a subdiv mesh?  Mind you, I still have to dial down the cavity settings as I think the default cavity and bulge values are too high on some of the default shaders.
  • Sculpting feels really nice and stepping through levels is smooth
  • Performance is great on high poly sculpts
  • Smoothing worked effectively
  • Detail work is a lot better now.  Way more predictable and easy to control.  But this might just be me working at higher polycounts that I typically do while testing.

Bugs/Needs Work:

• I noticed some weird graphical glitches in the UI, corresponding with slight pauses in the application.  Not sure what caused it, but I haven't experienced this in prior versions of the program.
  • I experienced frequent times when tweaking shader settings or when using the render room that the program would pause for a long time to do simple adjustments.
  • The base level sculpt layer's topology is important...If I switch from a voxel mesh to a surface mesh, the topology isn't that clean and it leads to artifacts in the sculpt at high subdivision levels when I smooth things out.
  • I noticed that all the different smoothing options aren't available, which is understandable since the topology is not dynamic...but I miss anti-bump smoothing for the reason above
  • My mesh got destroyed at one point stepping down below the base level.  The destroyed mesh was carried through to the higher subd levels.

Missing:

• The ability to bring in a quad or ngon mesh to the sculpt space while retaining vertex order and UVs
  • The ability to work seamlessly between a model or retopo mesh and a sculpt room multires sculpt.  Being able to add/delete faces, edgeloops, extrusions, etc. and have that reflected in the sculpt.
  • Subdivision style options
    • Straight subdivision
    • Whatever you currently have (it's great!)
    • Catmull-Clark
    • Microvertex

Of note, but not necessarily good or bad:

• It seems that each subdivision level stores it's own shader settings...I wasn't expecting this, I don't know how to feel about it to be honest.  It could be good or bad depending on the circumstance.

I haven't tested all the brushes yet, but I was able to get some really great results that feel very similar to what I would want to achieve in a program like Zbrush for detail work and generating skin textures and wrinkles with brush alphas or just building up forms.

Thanks a lot for deep review!

UV-s in sculpt space expected. 

More smooth options will be available.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic