3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

This is not how Multiresolution works in Zbrush.  I would like to lower the resolution of all objects in the scene, not just one....
+ In Zbrush, the resolution is automatically lowered when the camera rotates. This is a trick that makes the program not so slow.
I have used the decimation method before. It works with all objects.3DCoatGL64_ccInAASJGE.thumb.png.a24ed456935061885846d6916a4bfd80.png

I would like to see such a function in the Multiresolution window as well.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, control said:

This is not how Multiresolution works in Zbrush.  I would like to lower the resolution of all objects in the scene, not just one....
+ In Zbrush, the resolution is automatically lowered when the camera rotates. This is a trick that makes the program not so slow.
I have used the decimation method before. It works with all objects.3DCoatGL64_ccInAASJGE.thumb.png.a24ed456935061885846d6916a4bfd80.png

I would like to see such a function in the Multiresolution window as well.

give it some time.. its very beta feature...

andrew said before its still being worked on .. hopefully its in the next update of multires , its not my software for finishing models... but its getting super close ... hope they just focus on the sculpting side now...

• Like 1

@philnolan3d He is asking for Quick transform threshold slider:  when you rotate a model inside Zbrush that has subdivision levels there is a performance function (on Preferences>performance) that's going to switch to a lower  subdivision level (default is 1) when you perform a rotation. Once you release this rotation it's going to go back to that highest subdivision level.

• Like 1

• Contributor
6 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

@philnolan3d He is asking for Quick transform threshold slider:  when you rotate a model inside Zbrush that has subdivision levels there is a performance function (on Preferences>performance) that's going to switch to a lower  subdivision level (default is 1) when you perform a rotation. Once you release this rotation it's going to go back to that highest subdivision level.

Interesting. That could be handy for massive polycount objects.

Edited by Allabulle

• Contributor
12 hours ago, control said:

Hey, don't mean to dismiss that this is a problem (lower res level looks ok; higher level not ok) but I have some proposals for workable way to circumvent in case it can help, of course it's not always going to be possible

When decimating to lower level from starting point, you can observe in viewport and wireframe view mode that it becomes a low poly triangle mess, not optimal for deformation. since higher level is likely smoother geometry, when going up res level, it cannot accommodate the ostensibly smooth deformation in geometry and it has those messy triangle like breaks in the surface. Can try  1. best as possible, have a sensible clean geometry as the 0 level when starting multi res and only work with higher res levels (caveat: obviously, going to be hard pressed to always be able to do this especially if you start with super dense object), 2. keep such changes on one layer at a time., can then remedy them pr layer. changing the visibility / opacity of the sculpt layer you're working on should gradually reveal the breaks in surface on higher res level. using the sculpt layer erase brush with low opacity or super relax can help diminish some such problems, like surface breaking.

if the use case is sculpting, detailing and baking or rendering mesh, then what matters in the end is that the highest level looks OK
if the use case is generating a static, low as possible geometry mesh that still looks ok and is baked with all the details, in the very least it can be expected that decimating the final high res level gives a pretty good result

• Like 1

Hi. You are suggesting something strange...
Such a solution is unsuitable for the industry.  At any moment, edits can come on an already detailed mash.  
I have to have access to a low-polygon level to make radical corrections to the proportions!

See how this works in Blender. The details aren't going anywhere.

I'd hate to have to jump from one program to another to do simple things.
My employer would just fire me for causing problems.  The customer will just find another person who does everything in Zbush. That's all.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
15 minutes ago, control said:

Hi. You are suggesting something strange...
Such a solution is unsuitable for the industry.  At any moment, edits can come on an already detailed mash.  
I have to have access to a low-polygon level to make radical corrections to the proportions!

See how this works in Blender. The details aren't going anywhere.

I'd hate to have to jump from one program to another to do simple things.
My employer would just fire me for causing problems.  The customer will just find another person who does everything in Zbush. That's all.

the guys are working hard ... but theres alot of rushing to get features and not enough getting features polished... obviously they are jsut trying to keep the community happy but hopefully they finish multires

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 11/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, Elemeno said:

quick little bug... nothing serious but its due to ui

sorry if im speaking fast or not very clear i recently had an accident

I reported this to Andrew recently, also. Hopefully he will fix it soon

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 11/14/2022 at 2:28 PM, Elemeno said:

the guys are working hard ... but theres alot of rushing to get features and not enough getting features polished... obviously they are jsut trying to keep the community happy but hopefully they finish multires

Yes, Andrew has been re-working the Multi-Level Subdivision, so it was never presented as a finished product. This is part of the Beta process with any software, and especially public betas. The developers go through many reports of issues before major new features are considered "polished."

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Yes, Andrew has been working on re-working the Multi-Level Subdivision, so it was never presented as a finished product. This is part of the Beta process with any software, and especially public betas. The developers go through many reports of issues before major new features are considered "polished."

yea thats what i was trying to explain but it was late... :D

• Contributor
On 11/15/2022 at 11:54 AM, AbnRanger said:

Yes, Andrew has been working on re-working the Multi-Level Subdivision, so it was never presented as a finished product. This is part of the Beta process with any software, and especially public betas. The developers go through many reports of issues before major new features are considered "polished."

I've suggested a GPU based occlusion and frustum culling system, this is how game engines typically work. So basically if 3DCoat utilized something like this, it would only render/calculate what the camera can actually see and any model hiding behind another that is in front of the camera isn't rendered/displayed.

• Advanced Member
26 minutes ago, Ascensi said:

I've suggested a GPU based occlusion and frustum culling system, this is how game engines typically work. So basically if 3DCoat utilized something like this, it would only render/calculate what the camera can actually see and any model hiding behind another that is in front of the camera isn't rendered/displayed.

already has culling...

• Contributor
3 hours ago, Elemeno said:

already has culling...

Since when? and which one? I can have parts off screen and the rendering of those parts are still active, there is no performance acceleration. You might be thinking about distance base or "clipping". If the method I described was used we'd get up to 300 FPS or more if the default performance was 60-70 fps for example. You would know the difference because we'd get sudden leaps in performance if big chunks were suddenly hidden if another object was blocking the camera view.

Edited by Ascensi

• Advanced Member

Hello all!

Jus wanted to report that with recent version 2022.50, for me, removing points from Smart Retopo Quadrangulation mode stopped working when using tablet pen for double clicking. With prior version 49 it works.

Edited by Henry Townshend
video insert

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic