3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

10 hours ago, kritskiy.001 said:

Hello, does exporting works for you guys? I just installed the 2022.52 (Win10, 8c Ryzen, 64gb RAM, 2070S) and every time I try to export a +/- dense fbx (>300k polys) 3dc crashes (shows a window "the program became unstable and will crash"). If I save the scene and open it in 4.9.72 it exports fine. Exporting obj/collada exports broken geometry (floating parts of the original object).

Also Airbrush in Invert Mode freezes the 2022.52.

Anything I could try..?

Send me scene example to andrewshpagin@gmail.com (regarding export)

• Advanced Member

Anyone else having issue with Paint Tiles. The size of the mesh is huge and so you cannot see the tiling effect when painting 2022.53

3DCoat 2022.53.png

Edited by insignet

• Contributor

Thank you @SERGYIfor the new Linux build!

3DCoat 2022.53 now works fine without the symlink to python 3.8 for systems with more up to date Python libraries installed and the Updates Manager points to the Linux Builds Download page! I'm assuming you also implemented the notification when a new build is released. Thanks a lot for taking user feedback into consideration and implementing it, it's very much appreciated.

The problem with the alphas being displayed way too dark has been also corrected in the build. That will help a lot too.

:good2:

Edited by Allabulle
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

@SERGYI3DCoat now opens on linux. Issues with interface. Fresh install and default settings. The Sculpt Models panel keeps popping up when interface changes or switching to a different tool. 2nd issue is with baking displacement. Displacement in viewport leaves faceted or flat shaded faces. See image. It bakes from the retopo mesh as well as subdivided meshes from the "import Object for per pixel painting" dialog. You can see how the shading follows the topology of the paint mesh.

Screenshot from 2022-12-08 23-51-10.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

When sculpting in voxel, the Freeze selection turn off/disappear when selecting Wet Clay.

When sculpting in surface, the Freeze selection stays there and you can sculpt with Clay.

Could you please watch the video and tell me if I'm doing something wrong or it's a bug?

Thank you so much.

3dcBugFreezeWithVoxels

• Advanced Member

On linux and windows start menu keeps coming back if you click a different menu item before commiting a object to scene. EX. --> Voxel Sculpting --> Empty Scene Option --> Edit --> Preferences --> Cancel --> Start menu comes back.

• Advanced Member

On linux and windows baking displacement gives poor results. There is faceting around all the faces with and without subdivision. This is a new scene with male character autopoed and baked with simple detail. 1st pic is with standard displacement option and flat displacement is event worse.

image.thumb.png.edf7d9dfc1f3e2f66989a4de502ac9a6.pngimage.thumb.png.c1fa0dbeaf1ac1221d35245349378c07.png

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, thinkinmonkey said:

When sculpting in voxel, the Freeze selection turn off/disappear when selecting Wet Clay.

When sculpting in surface, the Freeze selection stays there and you can sculpt with Clay.

Could you please watch the video and tell me if I'm doing something wrong or it's a bug?

Thank you so much.

3dcBugFreezeWithVoxels

Yes, the Freeze brush/Freeze Selections do not work with Voxel brushes....because it is a completely different paradigm/platform than polygonal/surface sculpting. The VOX HIDE tool can effectively act as a Freeze/masking tool, but to this point, Freeze masking only works with Surface mode (or with Surface Brushes while the layer is in Voxel mode. Now that we have Voxel Paint, hopefully Andrew can enable the Freeze tool to work with Voxel Brushes also. If you want this, shoot support an email (support@pilgway.com) in order to make the feature request. 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Powerful Smooth in paint room has smudge distance and smudges the texture. Shouldn't it be smoothing rather than smudging. The hint talks about smoothing not smudging.

• Advanced Member

@SERGYI When 3d coat crashes - Recover after Crash dialog is frozen on 1st restart of 3D coat. Only on the second restart will it work.

Another thing added to all the baking issues. Retop --> Microvertex (no baking) crashes when a mesh has tile UV Sets (UDIMS). It will only work when UV are in a 0 --> 1 space.

Baking just normal maps appears to be ok. The Displacement issues are happening in older versions as well. I tested on 2022.11.

Edited by ebitz

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Yes, the Freeze brush/Freeze Selections do not work with Voxel brushes....because it is a completely different paradigm/platform than polygonal/surface sculpting. The VOX HIDE tool can effectively act as a Freeze/masking tool, but to this point, Freeze masking only works with Surface mode (or with Surface Brushes while the layer is in Voxel mode. Now that we have Voxel Paint, hopefully Andrew can enable the Freeze tool to work with Voxel Brushes also. If you want this, shoot support an email (support@pilgway.com) in order to make the feature request. 

when im sculpting faces... heads anything with tiny details, i need the freeze tool.. so whats the benefit of voxels if you can use them ? i always have to use freeze tool in surface? then why not focus on traditional polygons?

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Thank you for the explanation, I'll open a ticket then.
But I'm wondering why Freeze button is available, if it's not working with Voxel.

• Contributor

image.thumb.png.085a942d0f094510720316cca6871a10.png

Hi!

Something Simple: In the Factures Room the Opacity Slider is missing, while O and P Hotkeys and pressure are working fine.

I have spend some time on how could you use factures feature and it turned out that it can be used as a real benefit when painting tiled and layered textures, no baking and high detail +adding displacement after export, steering textures with vertex attributes. If you are interested, here I posted some results and a briefly howto.

All the Best!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, thinkinmonkey said:

Thank you for the explanation, I'll open a ticket then.
But I'm wondering why Freeze button is available, if it's not working with Voxel.

Are you talking about the FREEZE brush/button in the SURFACE BRUSHES section of the tool panel? If so, yes, you can use it, because when using Surface Brushes, 3DCoat temporarily suspends the voxelization process and the user is merely working on the outer mesh (that would normal adapt to changes in the voxel volume). Keep in mind, though, that once you create a mask (using the Surface brushes FREEZE tool), you will lose that mask IF you switch to a Voxel Brush. As long as you continue using Surface brushes, the mask will remain intact. This video will help explain a lot of that:

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic