3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

On 1/31/2023 at 9:38 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Bas-relief/undercuts will always be free, Molding will become payed after some time, now it is free.

It is very good news that the bas-relief tool remains free.
Until the bug is fixed, I will use two versions of 3DCoat at the same time: the 2021.30 whose bas relief works and the 2022.58 to continue my work and use the latest improvements.
Thank you for your time and long live 3DCoat!

• Contributor

Modeling retopo room, can now make symmetrical manipulation, e.g. select on one side and move; the move will also happen on inverted axis (without virtual symmetry mode)

Thank you so much for this!

I have one feedback:
When vertices are selected on +X side, moving them will move them on -X with symmetry "on", this is good
But the yellow selection highlight of the vertices is not displayed on -X side
I think an option to toggle this display can help equip against confusion whether one is actually working in symmetry, because it is not clear

Thank you for any consideration!

• Advanced Member

On linux. Multiresolution causing interpenatrating faces and vertices after "Add Bottom Level". Create a standard cube or any mesh. From multi-resolution choose "Add Bottom Level". Result.

Screenshot from 2023-02-04 13-14-29.png

Screenshot from 2023-02-04 13-21-17.png

• Contributor

Hi

I'm recording a Script:

void main() { 
    Coat coat;
    coat.room("Modeling");
    Symmetry symm;
    symm.Enable(true);
    symm.ShowPlane(true);
    symm.Type(0);
    symm.SetMirror(false,0);
    symm.SetMirror(false,1);
    symm.SetMirror(false,2);
    symm.CoordSystemXYZ(0);
    symm.StartPoint(Vec3(0.00,0.00,0.00));
    RetopoRoom retopo;
    retopo.clear();
    PrimitivesTool tool;
    coat.room("Modeling");
    cmd("$RTP_PRIM");
    Step(1);
    rGeoSphere rsphere22;
    rsphere22 = tool.rsphere();
    rsphere22.useDiameter(false);
    rsphere22.Position(Vec3(0.00,0.00,0.00));
    rsphere22.Radius(10.00);
    rsphere22.SubDivision(0);
    cmd("$RTP_PRIM");
    Step(1);
    FreeFormPrim ff32;                             //this is Wrong!!
    ff32 = tool.freeform("Blob:Blob2x2");
    ff32.AxisX(Vec3(0.00,0.00,0.00));
    ff32.AxisY(Vec3(0.00,1.00,0.00));
    ff32.AxisZ(Vec3(0.00,0.00,1.00));
    ff32.Position(Vec3(0.00,0.00,0.00));
    ff32.AxisZ(Vec3(0.00,0.00,0.44));
    tool.Apply(0);
}

In the Retopo/Modelling Room, the 2D Primitives are not properly recorded. In this Case a '2D Plane'. It is recorded as freeform primitive.

In Sculptroom, 'Retopo Mesh to Sculpt Mesh' command, would be nice to be recordable. Does this command already exist? Where should I look?

Could you maybe add a short reference to the command in the thumbnail description? 

Curve Modelling Mode is not scriptable/recordable. 

Greetings!

Edited by Ctc_nick

• Advanced Member

Hi,

could someone use the Tubes/Muscle tool and telling me if it's funny or it's just me?

As you can see in the picture, I draw some strokes, but the results are not as expected, the "muscle" is sinking inside the head, not appearing above that, and there are this strange stripes of voxels as result.

I'm following a tutorial where artist use 2022.55 and he has a better result.

I've already resetted my preferences and used 2022.55 as well, but still with the same, strange result.

Thank you in advance for any help.

!!!Silly me!!!

It was the depth very low!

Sorry for triggering that!

2023-02-06_09-33.thumb.png.abcf86bf38c31fed55dbcbeb2372a599.png

Edited by thinkinmonkey

• Advanced Member

Today I'm not happy with 3dc. Couldnt make anything useful trying to compose this post :(

- Pose tool: How can I make the curves close the shape and not see the border only? I tried really :D (see attachment 1)

EDIT: Changed the Mode from Paint to Line and it works as expected. Answers my question I guess :D

- Pose tool: Gizmo need a "To Center of Selection" aside from the "To Center Mass". Sometimes when I edit a selection gizmo bugs out and resets itself to center loosing normal direction too. Annoying to use the Pick Pivot tool.

- Pose tool: Adjust Transition Area; its explanation is promising but couldnt figure out how to use it? (attachment 2)

- Pose tool: Still missing sharpen, expand, contract.

- Unrelated: I havent noticed before but there is a 99% on the top left next to 3dc logo. Any idea what that may be? I closed and reopened 3dc and it now shows the version as normal :D (attachment 1 )

- Clay Engine Brushes: Some brushes like Usual Clay or Vox Flatten doesnt have the steady stroke on top but just in the tool options palette. If a user is not experienced and has the tool options closed may get very confused.

pose1.jpg

pose2.jpg

Edited by Koray
Found how to :)
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

- Absolute Brush (Surface Mode): Absolute brush acts weird when its size is small. Please see the attached image.

EDIT: I kept working and now it somehow fixed itself. 6 mil triangles may be the reason :D Either way how are we supposed to know when something is bugged or not is very confusing :)

EDIT2: Now its acting weird again. Probably very picky about the surface underneath trying to be absolute and all :D

EDIT3: Made a new sculpt layer and now it works like new.  :D :D 

absolute1.jpg

Edited by Koray

Hi :)

I wanted to customize my UI a bit more and noticed that this function in preferences does not work as I would expect:

image.png.50bacfea7ccf1d5931c536504adde01b.png

If I hit this checkbox in a new session it hides the panel but if I change to full screen mode and back the Tool appear again. Also if I start a new session it doesnt remember this option. Its always "checked" on my end but I have to do it again everytime. :(

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 2/7/2023 at 9:02 AM, Koray said:

Today I'm not happy with 3dc. Couldnt make anything useful trying to compose this post :(

- Pose tool: How can I make the curves close the shape and not see the border only? I tried really :D (see attachment 1)

EDIT: Changed the Mode from Paint to Line and it works as expected. Answers my question I guess :D

- Pose tool: Gizmo need a "To Center of Selection" aside from the "To Center Mass". Sometimes when I edit a selection gizmo bugs out and resets itself to center loosing normal direction too. Annoying to use the Pick Pivot tool.

- Pose tool: Adjust Transition Area; its explanation is promising but couldnt figure out how to use it? (attachment 2)

- Pose tool: Still missing sharpen, expand, contract.

- Unrelated: I havent noticed before but there is a 99% on the top left next to 3dc logo. Any idea what that may be? I closed and reopened 3dc and it now shows the version as normal :D (attachment 1 )

- Clay Engine Brushes: Some brushes like Usual Clay or Vox Flatten doesnt have the steady stroke on top but just in the tool options palette. If a user is not experienced and has the tool options closed may get very confused.

pose1.jpg

pose2.jpg

To fill inside a curve, RMB click the Curve and choose FILL INSIDE PROJECTION. Yes, I agree. The Pose tool needs better gradient options, such as EXPAND, CONTRACT, SHARPEN and the SMOOTH SELECTION seems to be very minimal in intensity, much of the time.

• Advanced Member

Pose Tool: When paint option and a brush is selected, the selection goes through all volumes automatically even though I untick the through all volumes option. Needs fix please.

Clay Engine Brushes- Usual Clay, Vox Flatten, Soft Clay, Thick Layer: All missing the steady stroke option on the top bar. Its available in the tool options and should be on the top bar too I believe.

• Advanced Member

hello.  it's about baking error. the version is 2022-60.

the overhang point is inverted.  please watch the mp4.

is this a bug or my mistake?

3D-coat is one of great software.   Development Thank you.:rofl:

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

@jene cant replicate, sorry

probably I found the cause.  please watch the mp4

in Voxel mode,  I use Surface brush  and  I don't change the brush to Voxel brush before baking. the error happen.

if change the brush to voxel brush before baking, the error doesn't find.

for your information.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, jene said:

probably I found the cause.  please watch the mp4

in Voxel mode,  I use Surface brush  and  I don't change the brush to Voxel brush before baking. the error happen.

if change the brush to voxel brush before baking, the error doesn't find.

for your information.

wait... how do you get your mesh so smooth at such low res....

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

@Andrew ShpaginWould this be possible to implement ?

hello, Silas Merlin. 

for sure.

at the moment, "Mark as Sharp" can also use subdivision surface.   if your 3Dmodel is closed, maybe it will be good result.

it is not perfect though.   for example, flat 2D primitive is not applied. 

mark1.thumb.png.d121ee3beb74c04d3c132903c5978169.png

"Mark as sharp" , you can set the edge that you want to sharp.

mark2.thumb.png.0c922977694fb4669455b2d6ecf3c845.png

Mark as sharp is not perfect though.   if 3D model is a plane, it need improvement or other function.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, jene said:

hello, Silas Merlin. 

for sure.

at the moment, "Mark as Sharp" can also use subdivision surface.   if your 3Dmodel is closed, maybe it will be good result.

it is not perfect though.   for example, flat 2D primitive is not applied. 

"Mark as sharp" , you can set the edge that you want to sharp.

Mark as sharp is not perfect though.   if 3D model is a plane, it need improvement or other function.

There is one thing we can do, but it is very cumbersome and the sculpt mesh is no longer linked with the retopo :
-save a copy of your retopo mesh to polymodels panel.
-subdivide model a couple of times in retopo room (without smoothing)
-use the "sculpt mesh" option to generate the sculpt mesh with subdivision and smoothing
-unlink the sculpt mesh
-delete retopo mesh
-replace retopo mesh with saved copy from polymodels panel.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hello, currently (V.60),Smart Retopo Loft and Quadrangulation does not merge with targeted vertices for me anymore. I tried various settings, also weld tolerance, to no avail:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nktj1avzsqdoasi/2023-02-17 16-50-53.mp4?dl=0

Edited by Henry Townshend
clarify

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Gorbatovsky said:

weld tolerance =1    is too  small.

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, this seems not it. I tried with various weld tolerance settings:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq75r7oippsekgz/2023-02-17 20-53-49.mp4?dl=0

Edited by Henry Townshend
add correct link

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic