3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Reputable Contributor
18 hours ago, Elemeno said:

ah see the problem is ... you've only scratched the surface...

when you use 3dcoat with other tools you speed up your workflow loads!

bbut i understand what you mean , topology gives weird bakes ... the shading is blotchy

tools arent as reliable as others.. voxels destroy the edge flow of anything .

but what you do have is a great software for building things fast..

i have no idea who said too many tools is bad because the more tools at my disposal the better ...

if they can make surface mode have quad only and tools that can polish properly .. then it would be alot better!

I don't think every artist wants to worry about edgeflow (and the problem of stretched polygons that inherently come with it) on a high poly sculpt, to be perfectly honest. I know I don't. That is the appeal of Voxel Sculpting. It doesn't care about your polygons, so to speak, and that is a good thing, actually. If you really want to keep the topological edgeflow, you can to a large degree as long as you import a base mesh with the desired topology and keep it in Surface mode + no remeshing (ie., no hitting the ENTER key, which basically Dynameshes the object, making the topology very uniform). Just increase the resolution (subdivide) as needed.

• Advanced Member

I know the devs are soo busy and there is even war. BUT:

- They added soo many complex looking features but couldnt move delete hidden and objectify hidden to the tool options for vox hide. Its already right there.

- I believe many requests and bugs are ignored probably just because they are boring to make or change. They added api stuff, nodes, low poly modeling and many other funky stuff I never used BUT there isnt a sharpen or grow shrink etc. for the pose tool still?

- I personally am trying to create a workflow I'm comfortable with since zb disaster, instead of using 3dc I feel I'm being used by and being ignored by Pilgway except Carlos (who is getting pissed off too).

- I own 3DCoat since 2016 and havent been able to use it for anything BUT I have reported many stuff to help through those years.

I received a warning about not to break forum rules as I'm typing this so will cut it short now.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Koray said:

I know the devs are soo busy and there is even war. BUT:

- They added soo many complex looking features but couldnt move delete hidden and objectify hidden to the tool options for vox hide. Its already right there.

- I believe many requests and bugs are ignored probably just because they are boring to make or change. They added api stuff, nodes, low poly modeling and many other funky stuff I never used BUT there isnt a sharpen or grow shrink etc. for the pose tool still?

- I personally am trying to create a workflow I'm comfortable with since zb disaster, instead of using 3dc I feel I'm being used by and being ignored by Pilgway except Carlos (who is getting pissed off too).

- I own 3DCoat since 2016 and havent been able to use it for anything BUT I have reported many stuff to help through those years.

I received a warning about not to break forum rules as I'm typing this so will cut it short now.

I understand your frustration, and you make some good points. However, I too make requests in order to help refine tools and help make the UI better, and not all of them get addressed. Some do, and some don't. I know why they don't and it is not because they are boring. It is because Andrew and the developers are hard pressed with many requests and bug reports each day. Sometimes, the reason a bug report doesn't get addressed is because Andrew and the developers cannot reproduce the issue on their end. There is one niggly, annoying issue I have had for a few years, and I reported it to Andrew multiple times, but for some strange reason, it only does this on my computer. It is the CTRL + SHIFT menu in the Sculpt Room when in Surface mode. If I hold the keys down, it works only with the first stroke, but not the subsequent strokes. It switches to CTRL only, with subsequent strokes. Andrew doesn't know how to fix it because he cannot get the same behavior on his machine. 

Regarding features, just because you find certain ones not so helpful to you, personally, that doesn't make them unuseful for many, many others. Your needs and mine are not necessarily everyone else's needs, so we have to keep that in mind. Andrew has seen many requests over the years for the very features you mentioned.

There are still tools requested heavily by users in the Autodesk forums, for 3ds Max, that STILL haven't been added and I have seen many people say they have reported the same bugs for years, in the 3ds Max user community. So, 3DCoat is not the only software with some issues or user requests that haven't been fulfilled for a long period of time. People in the ZBrush community have been asking for a major UI overall since the dawn of time. :D It happens everywhere. 

• Thanks 3

@Koray I appreciate your work and suggestions, but please. Respect.
The development team keeps working hard in the middle of a war, trying to make it bug free, listening to all proposals, improving existing tools and developing new features... and all you have to said is:  

On 2/21/2023 at 4:21 AM, Koray said:

I still believe this software is being developed for an elite group or artists who actually do use all the functions and we are paying to test the software for them :D

I also believe that Andrew and the dev team is not finishing or polishing the software so we keep complaining and they keep their jobs :D

really... ?

Sorry but I am not pissed off, nothing is personal. 

The fact that the development team does not respond instantly to your complaints does not give you the right to treat them with sarcasm.

Respect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Contributor

I think 3DCoat's Update Manager is weird!
Here, mine doesn't show any information about the builds... except a completely blank screen with the buttons at the top and on the left side.

Another thing, in the forum... the download links and the build information log do not appear and are broken.

• Thanks 1

All today2/23, as of 11pm EST, the links and changelog in this thread for 2023.1 are both unavailable. Both iframes seem to default to the main 3dcoat site. Not sure if something is being updated behind the scenes or what, but I thought that it was worth mentioning since I know that this thread is actively monitored.

4 hours ago, cookepuss said:

All today2/23, as of 11pm EST, the links and changelog in this thread for 2023.1 are both unavailable. Both iframes seem to default to the main 3dcoat site. Not sure if something is being updated behind the scenes or what, but I thought that it was worth mentioning since I know that this thread is actively monitored.

Yeah, just now I came in from a link in an email and it didn't work. I have to go back to the main website and come here manually.

20 hours ago, Carlosan said:

@Koray I appreciate your work and suggestions, but please. Respect.
The development team keeps working hard in the middle of a war, trying to make it bug free, listening to all proposals, improving existing tools and developing new features... and all you have to said is:  

really... ?

Sorry but I am not pissed off, nothing is personal. 

The fact that the development team does not respond instantly to your complaints does not give you the right to treat them with sarcasm.

Respect.

Honestly I've been surprised they're getting any work done in the middle of a war. That's dedication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rygaard said:

I think 3DCoat's Update Manager is weird!
Here, mine doesn't show any information about the builds... except a completely blank screen with the buttons at the top and on the left side.

Another thing, in the forum... the download links and the build information log do not appear and are broken.

The part couple of times I tried the update manager it didn't work, it said it was downloading then nothing.

I'm enjoying getting familiar with the new Multires tool.

I did initially think it was bugged, because I was getting weird collapsing polys...

image.png.a3df8c3913b89a23c45735868709b4db.png 

But I figured out it was because I was smoothing with the SHIFT option set to 'Powerful Smoothing', and this option has decimation included.

The 3DCoat new feature video: 

...says that (around 1m 20s) that when multiresolution is in operation, dynamic subdivision is disabled.  

Perhaps a the 'Powerful Smoothing' should also be disabled, or maybe automatically switched to normal Smoothing while multiresolution is in use? 

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
21 minutes ago, DMG said:

I'm enjoying getting familiar with the new Multires tool.

I did initially think it was bugged, because I was getting weird collapsing polys...

image.png.a3df8c3913b89a23c45735868709b4db.png 

But I figured out it was because I was smoothing with the SHIFT option set to 'Powerful Smoothing', and this option has decimation included.

The 3DCoat new feature video: 

...says that (around 1m 20s) that when multiresolution is in operation, dynamic subdivision is disabled.  

Perhaps a the 'Powerful Smoothing' should also be disabled, or maybe automatically switched to normal Smoothing while multiresolution is in use? 

Yes, that is a good point. Anything that messes with the mesh structure while Multi-Resolution is active, should be disabled.

• Like 1

• Contributor
38 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

multires needs quads to work correctly ...

No, it doesn't.

But, yes!, we really really really do need it for some workflows. If not, I didn't understand how it's supposed to be used, then. It can happen. :)

If and when that comes, the long awaited good performant multi-res system with quads (be it as an added option or by default), it will be a massive improvement for 3DCoat's adoption in some industry sectors. And for the whole 3DCoat reputation as a whole. Having that feature working fine, while preserving UV's from retopo room, and nice and easy baking will be a killer selling point.

Multi-res without quads, as is today, has many uses and seems to work very well (admittedly I haven't tested it rigorously yet.)

Edited by Allabulle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Allabulle said:

No, it doesn't.

But, yes!, we really really really do need it for some workflows. If not, I didn't understand how it's supposed to be used, then. It can happen. :)

If and when that comes, the long awaited good performant multi-res system with quads (be it as an added option or by default), it will be a massive improvement for 3DCoat's adoption in some industry sectors. And for the whole 3DCoat reputation as a whole. Having that feature working fine, while preserving UV's from retopo room, and nice and easy baking will be a killer selling point.

Multi-res without quads, as is today, has many uses and seems to work very well (admittedly I haven't tested it rigorously yet.)

technically no it doesnt ... but for rotating or moving the mesh and getting a low poly version the faster way is quads ... when youre using this method of tris /quads in this surface mode , a few changes to high or low res destroys one or the other making it non useful at the moment ..

ive submitted videos showing this and i believe or hope they are working on it , hopefully they dont affect voxels ... i love not having to worry about topology but at the same time i need the importance of topology its a strange one but if they do it right i wont need to switch software half as much with my workflow

• Like 1

• Contributor

Well, @Elemeno, yes and no, then. :)

For some workflows, it works perfectly fine as it is.

For some other workflows I agree with you: we need quads, non-destructive geometry on different layers and preservation of UV's. Mind you, I also want and need those and I would love to stay in 3DCoat too for those tasks.

I was pointing out that the feature is not broken, and it works. Although, yes, not for what you and me mostly need right now.

Still, I'm pretty sure they are well aware of the challenges we face in some of our jobs, and what we need from the tools. We've explained and ask for it for a while now. They gave us multi-res. We still lack the rest. They are probably doing something about it. It will take time, but eventually we'll have those features, I'd say. 

Edited by Allabulle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Advanced Member

On linux. When baking a imported retopo mesh with UDIMS(Import Tiles as UV Sets), 3DCoat will shuffle the UV islands/tiles to different UVSet locations (UDIMS). One UV set (source mesh) on 1001 tile --> 1003 (on paint room mesh) and so on. This can be fixed in the UV room by moving UV shells manually back to the correct UVset locations but this is not ideal, especially if you have 10 UVsets (1001- 1010).

UDIMS_Before_Bake.png

UDIMS_AfterBake.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

When entering the Paint Room, after  "Apply UVset" in UV room after making changes to UVs, a redundant "Apply UVset" dialog appears in paint room. If I have "Applied UVset" in the UV room I should not see another "Apply UVset" dialog in the paint room. Only if I have not "Applied UVset" in the UV room should I see the paint room dialog. On a side issue, If I click the "OK" button in the Paint room dialog, after clicking the "OK" button in the UV room, 3D coat will crash.

UV_Room.png

Paint_Room.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor

SculptRoom:

The Snake Tool is great to work with when you turn up the smoothing speed like 500-2000. Can you add a manual Tilt mode? This would enable the world of rectangular and all sorts of Shapes to be controlled. Draw and Pull Planks, orient tilt along path with brush tilt (MMB etc). I think this could be really fun!

• Like 2

• Contributor
16 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Do please video. And give us the file, which you want to Add to Poly Models.

Hello!!

It didnt work because I used FBX Format with the '+' (add to polymodels).  Would be nice if other formats then OBJ work also. Or a message: only obj supported.

I made short Video for you, same theme. When adding Polymodels, the original scale should remain and also the position if possible.

Why is the scale changed in the first place? 

-Reset Scale is missing

-Reset Primitive does not set to original size: testfile now included: 1.use primitive tool, 2. add object to poly models with drag, 3.click to insert

4.try 'reset Primitive' -->result differend size: not easy for booleans and constructions.

-default transform Mode should be 'Gizmo' not 'FFD'

Note: There are two import modes from PolyModel panel.

1. Coming from Select Tool or other adds a custom primitive with uvs with no intersetions.

2.Coming from Primitives Tool, enables boolean operations for custom primitives and fuses the mesh.

I'm talking about the second one.

ScaleFromPolyTabForBool.thumb.gif.2712db59d8ba6ee5c48250304e6020bd.gif

-I would like to make an Angelscript for 2DPrimitives. I can make the plane but I can not access the parameters. It says Identifier .. is not a Data Type. Who can I ask?

Thank you, and all the Best to all of you!

test_prim.3b

Edited by Ctc_nick

My go to is now the OSX 2022.60 version and it works great so far. I did try the 2023 beta yesterday on Windows and there seems to be some issues with Flatten brush in the surface pane. Very unpredictable results while the OSX 2022.60 version works as expected . It seems as if the flatten cuts too deep into the mesh and leaves a larger  ident at the end of each stroke even with smaller depths

*EDIT*....  Solved. I had different settings on the 2022 version

Edited by NLPLP

• Advanced Member

On linux. Concerning the "Export Objects & Textures" dialog. The menu does not update until acutally using the export button at bottom of dialog and reopening the dialog. I have turned off the checkboxes for objects and textures and pressed export. Coming back to the dialog I have turned on the checkboxes for objects and textures and the menu does not update. The same issue occurs when changing file formats. If I export a texture in .png and come back to the menu to change it to .exr the bit depth options do not update. It only updates after exporting and running "Export Objects & Textures" operation again. Then I get all the bit depth options for .exr.

Screenshot from 2023-03-04 12-50-53.png

Screenshot from 2023-03-04 12-51-05.png

Screenshot from 2023-03-04 12-52-52.png

Screenshot from 2023-03-04 13-04-49.png

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic