3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

On 2/22/2023 at 3:45 PM, Koray said:

I know the devs are soo busy and there is even war. BUT:

- They added soo many complex looking features but couldnt move delete hidden and objectify hidden to the tool options for vox hide. Its already right there.

- I believe many requests and bugs are ignored probably just because they are boring to make or change. They added api stuff, nodes, low poly modeling and many other funky stuff I never used BUT there isnt a sharpen or grow shrink etc. for the pose tool still?

- I personally am trying to create a workflow I'm comfortable with since zb disaster, instead of using 3dc I feel I'm being used by and being ignored by Pilgway except Carlos (who is getting pissed off too).

- I own 3DCoat since 2016 and havent been able to use it for anything BUT I have reported many stuff to help through those years.

I received a warning about not to break forum rules as I'm typing this so will cut it short now.

I am trying to fix all painful stuff as first priory. Something may remain unfixed only because it become out of my attention by some reason. I was sure all stuff related to "hide" fixed long time ago. Carlos sometimes reminds me some unsolved problem, it helps greatly. So reminding is helpful, if you drop me the link to most painful problems description (to andrewshpagin@gmail.com), it may help.

And of course war has some influence because I need to make some extra stuff that can't be discussed there.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 3/10/2023 at 11:30 PM, Henry Townshend said:

Hey @Oleg_Shapo, I'm also on 23.05, my Color Picker appearance is still broken for me. Graphics driver up to date.

image.thumb.png.7cd78c75858b1551d044770cc52d37ba.png

I think the initial upload (by the developers) still had this issue, but was quickly fixed and the .05 build was amended with the fix. You can also just install build .06 which has also been uploaded since your post. 

• Contributor
On 3/12/2023 at 2:39 AM, ebitz said:

@SERGYIOn a different linux distro Almalinux 9.1. Experiencing crashes when using  "Save As" and "Open" files. Any Ideas. Occurs in x11 and wayland.

Screenshot from 2023-03-11 20-37-30.png

Are you using a different File Manager other than Gnome Files (nautilus)?

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I think the initial upload (by the developers) still had this issue, but was quickly fixed and the .05 build was amended with the fix. You can also just install build .06 which has also been uploaded since your post. 

Thanks for the reply @AbnRanger! I meanwhile did this and for me 06 still contains this problem. However, I'm aware that there are probably more high prio things than a broken Color Picker display. I jus patiently wait and work with 03 in the meantime.

Thanks @Oleg_Shapo, I am looking forward!

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Henry Townshend said:

Thanks for the reply @AbnRanger! I meanwhile did this and for me 06 still contains this problem. However, I'm aware that there are probably more high prio things than a broken Color Picker display. I jus patiently wait and work with 03 in the meantime.

Thanks @Oleg_Shapo, I am looking forward!

I think there is probably a corrupted configuration file in your MY DOCS/3DCOAT directory. There is an option in the EDIT menu to "Reset to Default Settings," so that might be the quickest way to refresh those config files.

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Allabulle said:

Are you using a different File Manager other than Gnome Files (nautilus)?

Hey Allabulle. No. Using Files (Nautilus). I thought it might have something to do with that as well. Just curious in trying Coat on that distro since there seems to be a little bit of a push in the VFX community to adopt a standard of linux. That seems to be Almalinux or Rocky linux (Centos) for now tentatively. Although Ubuntu is up there and pretty popular with individual artists.

• Contributor
1 minute ago, ebitz said:

Hey Allabulle. No. Using Files (Nautilus). I thought it might have something to do with that as well. Just curious in trying Coat on that distro since there seems to be a little bit of a push in the VFX community to adopt a standard of linux. That seems to be Almalinux or Rocky linux (Centos) for now tentatively. Although Ubuntu is up there and pretty popular with individual artists.

I see. We've been trying to pin point the issue without success yet, some of us. In some circumstances, opening and saving from 3DCoat crashes it on Linux. I thought it was to do with maybe with the file manager, but if you are using Gnome and Files, I'm out of ideas for now.

In Cinnamon Desktop it happened to me, with a variant of Arch. On the same machine, and the same OS on another drive, using Gnome everything goes fine.

I'll do some more tests. Have you tried to delete all 3DCoat folders and configs on the local user and tested it from scratch? If you find anything new please report it back.

• Advanced Member
41 minutes ago, Allabulle said:

I see. We've been trying to pin point the issue without success yet, some of us. In some circumstances, opening and saving from 3DCoat crashes it on Linux. I thought it was to do with maybe with the file manager, but if you are using Gnome and Files, I'm out of ideas for now.

In Cinnamon Desktop it happened to me, with a variant of Arch. On the same machine, and the same OS on another drive, using Gnome everything goes fine.

I'll do some more tests. Have you tried to delete all 3DCoat folders and configs on the local user and tested it from scratch? If you find anything new please report it back.

Ok. It was a completely fresh install. Thanks Allabulle.

• Contributor
42 minutes ago, ebitz said:

Ok. It was a completely fresh install. Thanks Allabulle.

Well if it was a fresh install of a Genome Desktop distribution then I don't know what can it be. I suspected using nemo file manager or some other file manager could be it, but apparently it isn't.

Let's hope @SERGYI can find the problem on his own, or tell us if he needs for us to test or document something.

Thank you for reporting the issue, @ebitz.

Edited by Allabulle

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I am trying to fix all painful stuff as first priory. Something may remain unfixed only because it become out of my attention by some reason. I was sure all stuff related to "hide" fixed long time ago. Carlos sometimes reminds me some unsolved problem, it helps greatly. So reminding is helpful, if you drop me the link to most painful problems description (to andrewshpagin@gmail.com), it may help.

And of course war has some influence because I need to make some extra stuff that can't be discussed there.  

I gave up with 3DCoat, no more complaining, sarcasm, trying to help with bugs, noobs etc. and will use whatever works when needed. 

Thanks for the reply and good luck. 

• Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Ctc_nick was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

"- The huge file removed from installer that was responsible for automated bugreports. I found way to send informative bugreports (as before) but without that database. It also leads to the better protection of 3dcoat from illegal hacking and reverse engineering."

2023.06After Crash, " Running troubleshooting" keeps my computer in a freezed state. The Sandwatch is blinking. Computer is stuck. After closing with Task Manager, As soon as I start Edge Browser the blinking returns. it tries to open 'Profile1' again and again.  No Programs can be opened. What I dont like it runs even when 3dcoat is closed. And it is a not traceable process, so what is that?  

---------------------------------------------------------

Update: I repaired "Microsoft Edge webview 2 runtime" from "Add and remove Programs" and the blinking is gone for now. So.. Im not shure if this is coat related. But I think it starts when you klick OK "Run troubleshooting". Click the X instead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, Besides that: :good:

The new snapping of Objects is fantastic.

Plane Intersection, is that the one in curve tools? Please one sentence more.

New Applink from feb2023 is much better!

Stay strong and all the Best!!

Edited by Ctc_nick
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor
20 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Yes. If you are in the modeling room
image.png

very cool! 

1. We need a rebuild curve Tool , to redistribute points equal on curve and set the divisions. That would also be good for all surface tools to get better results.  I see now smooth Curves is something like this. It would be helpful to See Curve Startpoints in Display. In the Curve Menu like show normals,radius, curve starts.

2. Can you add the new UV Span control with MMB also to the single curve setting an add a live preview? yellow in the example

image.thumb.png.e92011eb6480bb2a09152f7dcb6bca73.png  

Have a nice day!

Edited by Ctc_nick

• Advanced Member

Create cloth object after sim creates 2 meshes that interpenetrate each other. Images are before create cloth object and after.

Screenshot from 2023-03-16 21-16-57.png

Screenshot from 2023-03-16 21-17-19.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not a problem. Just a quick thank you to all those involved.

In simplifying the licensing system, I just wanted to thank you for NOT eliminating the "old" license file method.

There are a still a large number of users such as myself who have spotty internet or connectivity issues due to network/admin restrictions.

I know that license files are old school and many companies are trending toward (ie. forcing) online (de)activation. However, being able to self-activate and not have to login or e-mail for some arbitrary code is a comforting experience and reassurance. One of the few things from the old LightWave days that I truly appreciated.

I sincerely hope that the license file option doesn't disappear.

Thanks for this and all previous/future 3DC updates. Your hard work is noted.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, ebitz said:

Create cloth object after sim creates 2 meshes that interpenetrate each other. Images are before create cloth object and after.

Screenshot from 2023-03-16 21-16-57.png

Screenshot from 2023-03-16 21-17-19.png

I also have this problem!!! I thought I was doing something wrong! It really shouldn't be this way right? I forgot how I worked around it (something with applying and then put on different layer or something) but it makes the cloth tool super inconvenient to use.

(Awesome model btw)

Edited by Henry Townshend
typo

• Contributor
12 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Implemented

Wow! :moil:

The Tangent handles can not be controlled easily. Either they are inside or outside of reference, the depth is uncontrollable. The handles snap well to curves already.

1. Can you make snap for them to Sculpt/Low Poly. This is so nice for making transitions.

2. If you select one curvepoint and use the transform tool the gizmo is not aligned with the curve direction. You can get the directon from the 2 tangent handles.

image.thumb.png.96b9c7b46c68ba901c2a653b1afbfdc6.png

• Like 1

• Contributor

I'm having a problem lately where several hotkey panels pop up but they "stick", they dont disappear on hover away. So they appear over where im working, and I have to close them with the small corner cross 'x' or move the panel each time
S   symetry
T   brush panel

anybody else experiencing it, any way to solve? 

thank you

Edited by poeboi

• Contributor
3 hours ago, poeboi said:

I'm having a problem lately where several hotkey panels pop up but they "stick", they dont disappear on hover away. So they appear over where im working, and I have to close them with the small corner cross 'x' or move the panel each time
S   symetry
T   brush panel

anybody else experiencing it, any way to solve? 

thank you

Mines are not sticking. But I have a fresh install. You can try deleting \Documents\3DCoat\UserPrefs\Preferences\Options_hokeys.xml or the preferences folder.  But you have to make new bindings, then. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by Ctc_nick
  • Like 1

• Contributor
On 3/17/2023 at 11:02 PM, Ctc_nick said:

a fresh install

Thanks, solved after fresh install of 2023 :good:

Edit:
After some time the problem returned, if anybody else has the problem with them staying and not disappearing
I was able to remedy it by 
1. docking the symmetry panel and brush panel somewhere in the UI first (drag them into UI)
2. after this, getting the "popups" by hotkey press T or S, they disappear as expected

Edited by poeboi
update
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

@Henry TownshendThank you. This is using Texturexyz workflow inside of Blender and 3D Coat.

Devs: On linux importing exr or high bit-depth (32, 16 bit floating point) images into paint room crashes Coat. Using Textures --> Import --> Color/Albedo Map, also fails on Normal Map. Normal map needs this high bit depth to eliminate banding and give optimum results. High bit depth images seem to be working in displacement. Only 8 bit imports seem to be working for everything.

On linux, after a crash the "Recovering After Crash" dialog is not interactive. The buttons don't work. I have to close Coat again and reopen before the dialog buttons work. This has been a long standing issue. 

• Advanced Member

Can Coat export imported normal maps (Normalmap(ext)) as displacement? Currently it only exports user created layers with depth. I am trying to export a displacement map that combines my painted depth and my imported normal map. Right now it does not recognize the imported normal map. It only exports displacement using things I have painted with depth. 

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic