3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

Hi,

There is something trouble to cause a crash often on smoothing of voxels/surface, isn't there?

I've experienced that some times in 2021.06.

Now I don't have any scenes to re-produce it, dedicated scene or dump, but if there is any option to send dump or crash report then I'd like to know it.

On 7/18/2021 at 6:44 PM, ebitz said:

Ok. I got the 3d primitive working in the retopo room. Deleted the user config files in Documents and restarted 3D Coat. Some conflict resolved I guess. Nope Ignore that. The Preferences-->Beta TAB-->Treat Retopo groups as materials is the culprit. If I disable it the 3d primitives mesh is not generated in the viewport.

Thanks for that catch, fixed it in the upcoming 07 build.

8 minutes ago, roentgen said:

Hi,

There is something trouble to cause a crash often on smoothing of voxels/surface, isn't there?

I've experienced that some times in 2021.06.

Now I don't have any scenes to re-produce it, dedicated scene or dump, but if there is any option to send dump or crash report then I'd like to know it.

The best is to Print screen the crash report on the screen (on Windows) and drop it to this thread. As in one of the previous posts. I am looking all very carefully in this thread.

On 7/16/2021 at 6:07 PM, iRadovsky said:

3DC 2021.04 Mac version.

Very often hangs while autosaving. Very annoying... the same was on 4.9 version.Possible to fix?

Were you using "On pen" in the Import tool? In case of massive usage, it may lead to a really long saving time. It is fixed in 06.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

The best is to Print screen the crash report on the screen (on Windows) and drop it to this thread. As in one of the previous posts. I am looking all very carefully in this thread.

In 3dcoat 2021, I've never seen a crash report window's appeared.

Past, 4.x, a crash report which have callstack-like or error messages-like  have been appeared but its characters were unreadable as encoding's completely broken. Because it may be on Japanese Windows(system encoding's problem), I don't know.

Edited by roentgen

20.07.21 2021.07 [stable]

- Fixed multiple problems and inconsistencies related to direct painting over stencils and materials using PreviewOptions->Paint over image

- Tools works correctly in general, with no random lines and other buggy stuff.

- Correct alpha direction

- All modes in E-panel work correctly in image editing mode (that's big deal). Of course curve tools may be used in this mode as well.

- It works correctly with pressure and snapping.

- Materials navigation panel tweaked a bit - edit button inserted for ease of finding the edit feature.

- Correct materials duplication if the color layer was painted manually.

- Correct the direction of the pen in radial stamp mode in all modes - sculpt, paint, uv paint, paint over stencil/material.

Other fixes:

- Fixed potential crash during startup (as reported in this thread).

- Corrected snake tool

- Bake shader with reflections in Light Bake Tool

- Fixed "long memory" issues when render settings or spline objects are migrating between projects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Advanced Member

@Andrew Shpagin
It was reported before, uninstall do not delete program from the list

I noticed tabletPC produce slowing in viewport, i am using vertical sync, it is always 60fps but noticeable slowing down compare to wintab mode.

This bug still persist 

and this

Edited by sprayer

• Reputable Contributor

could someone explain how to make this work ? "Bake shader with reflections in Light Bake Tool "

I suppose this is what is usually called "bake light with environement" elsewhere, which is something I really wanted, but all I am getting is something like this whichever shader is usedimage.png.d25f671bed9c039208a4a0bd617377a5.png

• Reputable Contributor
50 minutes ago, sprayer said:

@Silas Merlin open shader ball for example, fill layer with any reflective shader, bake your reflection and it creates reflection layer in texture

Thank you very much for the video, Sprayer.

So, does it not strike you as odd that it is called "bake shader", when it works only with smart materials, not shaders ?
This is great, I got it partly working

image.thumb.png.60b8a0d4c2340a0ce53ba9b61ec2b304.png

So, since it is called "bake shader", I want to bake reflections from a shader, not necessarily a smart material like in your video, right ?

Ok, not sure of the order in which I tried things to get where I am in the screenshot above.
I did this:
-open default ball
-select default rusted metal shader
-autopo
-bake
-"bake shader"
>this resulted in a white coat on most of the ball, with an unpainted circle at a pole, and random dots at the "terminator" to speak in astronomy terms.

Next (I think), I sculpted the sphere a bit and turned it to surface, then tried to "bake shader" in vertex colour. This resulted in the screenshot in my previous post.

After seeing your video, I baked the sculpted sphere to the original retopo of the unsculpted sphere.
when I did "bake shader" on this, I got what you see in the new screenshot above :
Only the areas that were sculpted (where the normal map is not blank), does the "bake shader" do anything. Where the normal map is blank, I get the white coating.

I believe this is not expected behaviour.
Now I am going to try with a smart material and I expect it to work, as seen in your video.
So... "bake shader" to bake.... smart materials ? :D

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

when it works only with smart materials, not shaders ?

That's better to ask Andrew)
I think it work only on uv, so only for smart shaders
I think it's like render elements baked reflection what you may compose on some painted object instead of painting reflection by hands, other way of use i cannot imagine. For realistic work it's useless as it will looks fake at rotation

16 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

i believe this is due to the alphas... change it to a square alpha and it more or less feels the same

in v4.9 it works fine

• Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, sprayer said:

I think it's like render elements baked reflection what you may compose on some painted object instead of painting reflection by hands, other way of use i cannot imagine. For realistic work it's useless as it will looks fake at rotation

in v4.9 it works fine

nah you're right the chisel tool doesn't work properly... it adds a smooth to it and feels weird... I cant properly sculpt stylised blocks etc

• Reputable Contributor
9 minutes ago, sprayer said:

Yes, I know what it's for, and I need it. I wanted it for a long time, so, I'm really excited about this.

originally I did this in Substance Painter, but for some time now I have been using a workaround in 3d-Coat alone :

-Make a render at screen size
-import render as stencil (it synchronizes perfectly with the view)
-projector from stencil
-fill layer with projection
-create a clip mask with rectangle and "ignore back faces"
-Turn view to other side of model
-make new render, project, fill layer, etc..
-paint over to blend the two layers filled with renders.

so you can see this new feature is really a time saver :)
Thanks, Pilgway.

• Like 1

Just bought 2021, Migration master still doesn't work, crashes:
image.png.311fa8b4fc81a7fd918598e8b6712cc9.png
Will try the fully manual method I described two weeks ago when I will have a few hours.

-Space mouse still detects the new Coat instal as a new app (even from 2021 beta), so no preference is kept, need to be re-created from scratch, even if I already remade them from scratch in 2021 beta two weeks ago.

• Reputable Contributor

After further tests, the "bake shader" tool is really excellent beyond belief !

BUT.

-It doesn't work if the normal map is flat.
-Just like the regular light baking tool, the "Intensity" has to be set to around 400 to get something close to the lighting you have in the render room, instead of the default 100

7 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Thanks for reporting, even if does not crash on my side, I have an idea, check the next build (07) when it will be done (today or tomorrow).

Thanks, I surely will. Currently on my last break and the last quarter of my shift. Tomorrow can't get here soon enough:D. I was sharing with my wife how productive the Devs are in this forum. Appreciate all your hard work.  

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

The polygon mode is not antialiased (and never was), but making it antialiased is in plans. 

I see. Maybe  I did not check detail so carefully,  but it seems happen always for poligon texture. (fill with polgion selection or use the poligon paint brush)

. anyway I may set more reslolution (for this maybe I must need to set at least 4K) to ease this size item texture.  but I really expect, auto antialiased added as options for poligon units paint.  because I suppose with smart material, we may often select area as polgions. (so fill with material (poligon base)  or set paint area by polgion unit)

about UI arrangement, I do not hope to make those UV island all along with UV direction, as Yousung recommended.(though I understand it may hide this problem)because it may easy cause stretch (at current UV arrangement is clean enough) for me. but thanks advice.  It seems logical.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic