3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Contributor

Python scripting (have not tested with CoreAPI)

Slight issue with getting the Sculpt Models panel to update with new occurrence of object after invoking "Save to Meshes Panel" from script

import coat

# Select Sculpt Models folder titled "Working" as active
coat.ui.cmd("$FOLD_UserPrefs/Models/SculptModels/Working")

# Use "Save To Meshes Panel" cmd (id is $ExportPatternForMerge) with callback to save immediately without decimation in modal
coat.ui.cmd("$ExportPatternForMerge", fn=lambda: coat.ui.cmd("$DialogButton#2"))

via file explorer in my UserPrefs/Models/SculptModels/Working  the new .obj will be there
but it does not appear in UI until 3DCoat restart

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, poeboi said:

Slight issue with getting the Sculpt Models panel to update with new occurrence of object after invoking "Save to Meshes Panel" from script

import coat

# Use "Save To Meshes Panel" cmd (id is $ExportPatternForMerge) with callback to save immediately without decimation in modal
coat.ui.cmd("$ExportPatternForMerge", fn=lambda: coat.ui.cmd("$DialogButton#2"))

via file explorer in my UserPrefs/Models/SculptModels/Working  the new .obj will be there

I had the same problem with the Retopo Models pallet, and reported it also. Hopefully Andrew will fix it in the next build.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, poeboi said:

import coat

Hey there Poe,

Seems like you understand these stuff. What can a regular 3D Coat user can create with Python or CoreAPI? Is there anything we can create with them or are these just for developers?

• Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

poeboi was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

3 hours ago, Koray said:

Hey there Poe,

Seems like you understand these stuff. What can a regular 3D Coat user can create with Python or CoreAPI? Is there anything we can create with them or are these just for developers?

hello, I wanna say not just for developers but depends on whether you are interested in scripting at all

put simply the Python scripting makes it much easier to in example do many things you commonly do in 3dcoat in one go, chain doing things together, or send stuff to / from other apps automated without dedicated applink

definitely not out of the question if people ask for script to do certain things on forums somebody can make that and share

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
26 minutes ago, poeboi said:

hello, I wanna say not just for developers but depends on whether you are interested in scripting at all

put simply the Python scripting makes it much easier to in example do many things you commonly do in 3dcoat in one go, chain doing things together, or send stuff to / from other apps automated without dedicated applink

definitely not out of the question if people ask for script to do certain things on forums somebody can make that and share

Thank you :)

• Contributor

I seen Python interpreter in 3DCoat is 32-bit, I was wondering if that maybe is a deliberate design decision 

discovered it by chance because some packages have trouble installing and don't have 32-bit equivalent, so the errors display:

ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ... (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for ..."

I'm thinking there is probably a good reason for it but thought I'd check  not a dealbreaker either way, can make do!

Edit:
sorry got confused 
if I run via script

import struct
print(struct.calcsize("P") * 8)

I get 64 

Edited by poeboi
update

On 6/4/2023 at 1:11 AM, Elemeno said:

the select tool isnt working properly, the change between vertices and edges should only affect the path eg connected vertices along an edge, but this just selects any edges associated with that vertex.

It is intended to work this way. I seen this in other apps. 
If it will select only edges between selected verts then what in case of single vertex selected?

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

If it will select only edges between selected verts then what in case of single vertex selected?

if i select a set of vertices , if i switch to edge mode it should only highlight the points between two vertices

i dont do much poly modelling so i only use blender but with blender its the same

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

if a single vertex is selected then you cant highlight an edge or face and then selection is removed when switching to between these

• Advanced Member

I saw the new gizmo on the official yt channel. It looks great! :clapping:This seems like an important change, a very convenient for users.I didn't understand if it is included in the latest version of 3DCoat. It allows you to visually move it from one geometry element to another and back to act on the geometry itself (if I understand correctly)

• Advanced Member

the voxel engine needs a slight rework , the triangles are not evenly distributed , especially when the mesh is spherical

you can distribute them nicely using the relax brush but it ruins the mesh and any work done ,

every time you add res the mesh throws strange lines inbetween the mesh causing the shading to look really bad , this can also affect it by not being as optimized as it could be 

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, thinkinmonkey said:

When clicking the "V" icon, I go in surface mode, but when pressing Enter on keyboard to revert back to voxel, the window with voxelization options appears, but, after clicking ok, the object is still in surface mode: is that supposed to happen?
Thank you.

enter is essentially dynameshing the current mesh ... i think it flicks between voxels and back to surface to evenly distribute the tris

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Elemeno said:

3dcoats voxels engine is broken , also ..

is anyone getting a strange artifacts on triangles ... light bleeds through the mesh

voxelsshape.thumb.jpg.71b6b3d3f89345980daa055041b0c637.jpg

voxels topology is very strange... it used to be evenly distributed around the mesh but now i seems like areas use spherical linesfrom various points, plus quad lines and then triangle lines separating themas you can see the meshes topology is a bit messy... which should affect 3dc as thats its selling point but unfortunately.. it does , those close intersecting lines make the topology look pinched in those areas, unless you want to use 100+ millions tris ... you wont get a smooth mesh

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Elemeno said:

voxelsshape.thumb.jpg.71b6b3d3f89345980daa055041b0c637.jpg

voxels topology is very strange... it used to be evenly distributed around the mesh but now i seems like areas use spherical linesfrom various points, plus quad lines and then triangle lines separating themas you can see the meshes topology is a bit messy... which should affect 3dc as thats its selling point but unfortunately.. it does , those close intersecting lines make the topology look pinched in those areas, unless you want to use 100+ millions tris ... you wont get a smooth mesh

Is that artifact?!?! I'm having that kind of mesh since a couple of versions of 2023, not sure how it was before, tbh.

If I can relax/smooth, all those long lines will disappear, but I've always wondering if it was normal that topology or something to be worried about.

Anyway, yeap, I'm having that topology too.

• Advanced Member

Although there are currently agents and similar FFD lattice adjustments, sometimes I still think of using polygons to adjust the model. If low modes are used to drive high modes, and low modes are automatically generated, it would be great because sometimes, mobile tools, FFD, and agents cannot achieve efficient large-scale object movement,
Relatively speaking, I hope to learn from the advantages of polygons and implement methods similar to point deformation in Houdini. I believe in the strength of implementing 3dcoat

QQ截图20230617160554.jpg

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, thinkinmonkey said:

Is that artifact?!?! I'm having that kind of mesh since a couple of versions of 2023, not sure how it was before, tbh.

If I can relax/smooth, all those long lines will disappear, but I've always wondering if it was normal that topology or something to be worried about.

Anyway, yeap, I'm having that topology too.

the triangles should be evenly distributed, making it smooth and optimised

i know in a version before they had a pointing issue where voxels gathered to an area creating a point, but you relaxed that one area and it was fixed.. now lately ive noticed pinching in the topology and thats caused by the overlapping lines , hopefully they fix this as its a huge one destroying my meshes.. a simple (enter enter) used to fix any stretched triangles and then everything was uniform again

• Advanced Member
On 6/17/2023 at 9:44 AM, Elemeno said:

the triangles should be evenly distributed, making it smooth and optimised

i know in a version before they had a pointing issue where voxels gathered to an area creating a point, but you relaxed that one area and it was fixed.. now lately ive noticed pinching in the topology and thats caused by the overlapping lines , hopefully they fix this as its a huge one destroying my meshes.. a simple (enter enter) used to fix any stretched triangles and then everything was uniform again

also surface mode perfectly distributes the tris around the mesh ...

• Advanced Member

When 3dcoat imports objects, it imports them in a collapsed manner, but this means losing some important information, such as the instantiation of the imported model size, direction, and name. If these can be imported into Houdini with some point information, it greatly facilitates the production process. It is too convenient to directly instantiate and copy to these points in Houdini

We only need the location information of the point, roughly
Scale of points
The rotation information of the point is sufficient
Export formats such as abc or obj can be used

QQ截图20230619094756.jpg

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic