3DCoat Forums

[Solved] 2021 backwards comparability ?

pxgeek

If we overwrite a .3b file from v4 to 2021, are we still able to open and continue work on that file in v4?

I'm still on the fence on whether to upgrade or not...

Speaking of which: I couldn't find any explicit pricing on the store or licensing pages for users upgrading, (only that it varies) which is a bit strange.  Could it be dependent on whether or not you bought the license on sale? ( I bought the pro license during their usual christmas sale)

If any users wouldn't mind sharing what the cost for upgrading to 2021 is, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Hi !

You always can download the trial, and test the new version.

Yes can get backward compatibility, but some new features can be lost (as Sculpt Layers like example). Is more safe to save and import sculpt .3b meshes, not projects.

RMB over Sculpt Layer> Export > Save Volume as .3B

Save Volume as 3B.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll have to test the trial when I get the time to do so.

---

Am I right to assume that if we do upgrade our existing license, we'll still be able to use our older versions as before?  (I plan to keep using 4.9 for a fair bit for stability)

• Carlosan changed the title to 2021 backwards comparability ?
  • 2 weeks later...
- If the user not upgrade to 2021, the 4.9 permanent license is permanent forever ?
 Yes, nobody cancelled the permanent license policy. So if you don't upgrade your V4 license, it will not expire.
- Can 4.9 be sold at any time ?
 You mean if user decides to sell his 4.9 license to someone else at a later time? I don't think we have any limitations in that regard, so yes.
- Passed that year, any 4.9 licenses can be upgraded to future versions ? (cost can vary)
 Sure. The user may decide to upgrade at any time in the future. For example, currently users with V3 licenses can upgrade to 2021 version. 

Sincerely,

Oleg

3DCoat Team

12 hours ago, Carlosan said:
If the user not upgrade to 2021, the 4.9 permanent license is permanent forever ?
 Yes, nobody cancelled the permanent license policy. So if you don't upgrade your V4 license, it will not expire.

I was asking more about what happens to 4.9 if we do upgrade to 2021.  (i.e we can still use both?)  Perhaps it was a silly question, as I could not see any reason why 4.9 would stop working after the upgrade...just double-checking.

Regardless, with 20 patches in the last 3 weeks since launch; I'll just hold off on upgrading until all the kinks are ironed out...

Thank you.

Regarding the V4 license after upgrade to 2021, it's the same approach as we had before with V3 to V4 upgrades - once you upgrade to a next-gen version, your older key gets deactivated. 
This time for the reasons of creating more comfort for users (in case 2021 could end up unstable or perform bad in certain cases, since it's very new and not yet fully tested), we decided to keep the V4 key active for another 12 months before getting it deactivated, just in case. 
Hope that makes sense.

• Advanced Member

Isn't that deactivation of the older version only applicable if the Beta Tools are activated?

I just fired up 4.9.74 and it gave me the warning that it would be deactivated in 8 days because I had Beta Tools activated.

I went into Preferences, and turned off  all the Beta Tools and then restarted 4.9.74 and I got no warning that it would be deactivated. 

Got to say there's a lot to love in the old version though I'm happy to have purchased the new 2021 upgrade...

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Isn't that deactivation of the older version only applicable if the Beta Tools are activated?

I just fired up 4.9.74 and it gave me the warning that it would be deactivated in 8 days because I had Beta Tools activated.

I went into Preferences, and turned off  all the Beta Tools and then restarted 4.9.74 and I got no warning that it would be deactivated. 

Got to say there's a lot to love in the old version though I'm happy to have purchased the new 2021 upgrade...

That 'deactivation' warning refers to the Beta Tools in V4 only. The license itself and so as all the standard V4 toolset will be fully in force, don't worry..  

• Thanks 2

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] 2021 backwards comparability ?
6 hours ago, 3DC Support said:

That 'deactivation' warning refers to the Beta Tools in V4 only. The license itself and so as all the standard V4 toolset will be fully in force, don't worry..

Ah, ok.

Carlosan had me worried there for a second.  Good to know v4 will continue to work regardless of upgrade :)

I'm really hoping the increased revenue stream will allow the developers to refine the current toolset and increase their functionality/stability and just overall more stable and less buggy builds.

btw, I did inquire in email to the sales address last week but haven't had a reply...So many thanks all for the clarification!