3DCoat Forums

Curvature errors with Ptex

• Contributor

Hi, I think I came across a bug. I've run into this issue when calculating curvature whenever I am working with Ptex. this happens in 3dcoat v4 and 2021. It leaves block artifacts In the curvature map. You can see an example below I have tried this in both PC and Linux versions.

Thanks,

Alex

image.thumb.png.21db8003464572f2276ad7c55281c26b.png

Edited by alexn007
  • Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Fixed] Curvature errors with Ptex
  • 7 months later...
  • Contributor

Hi, I'm still experiencing curvature errors when in Ptex.  Below is a snapshot of what I'm seeing.

Also I'm using the latest windows version of 3DCoat 2022.11

I started by creating a new empty layer, then I generated occlussion (1024 samples), and then curvature (1024 samples).

Hope that helps.

Best,

-Alex

image.thumb.png.4127d1388a90015dfdff35a343f9afa6.png

• Carlosan changed the title to Curvature errors with Ptex
  • Contributor

Hmm.. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what I should be seeing. Here are a couple of images one shows the curvature layer in ptex visible and the other is the same but with Uv's. I'm using the same settings, and I'm doing the "Fit in one Texture" method you show. Here are my results.

Thanks for hanging in there, and helping me try to figure this out BTW!

-Alex

curveOn_uv.PNG

curveOn_ptex.PNG

Try turning off Use RGB cavity as the default cavity calculation method

RGB cavity.jpg

(RGB cavity is a multi-range cavity texture, each channel corresponds to a different cavity scale. B is the local cavity, G is a middle-range cavity, R is the far-range cavity.)

• Contributor

Thanks so much!

Ahh, ok that did the trick. For this model it helped, and I noticed the occlusion came in correctly. Not sure if they are somehow correlated, but on other models the occlusion came in all black. I'll do some tests on other models that failed for me previously.  

Thanks,

-Alex

• Like 1

• Contributor

Ohh man.. Sorry to bring this back up, but it looks like that didn't really work, I mean it worked for the dragon test which was a single mesh and pretty simple, but then when I tried it with a more complex multi mesh object it doesn't work, and either does occlusion. Here's an image of what the occlussion looks like. I've followed the instructions above. Hope this is helpful.

-Alex

image.thumb.png.57adaa89d199ba899f20a21bf5512e09.png