3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Curves workflow: Questions

artofcharly

Go to solution Solved by artofcharly,

• Advanced Member

Hi, dear developers and 3D-Coat users.

Decided to create this topic for different workflow questions =)

I want to improve my skills in Curve modeling in 3D-Coat, but still do not understand a few things =) Hope you can help me =) 

So, I want to model something like this, but with curves =) Because want to understand their logic.

mesh_modeling_curves.thumb.jpg.eaf136b5c0be9d79eb1269e3e1a589a7.jpg

I created these curves.

And as I understand - I should use Swept N Gen. Right?

But it doesn't work... What I'm doing wrong? 

Video with the process: 

The main goal is to create curves that I can change every time and make different surfaces like this. 

Thank you and have a great day
Best regards,
Andrew.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Typically you have your guides ( the ellipses) and then you have the (in your case spiral) rails. Then you shoot the guides along the rails

In your example video the the ellipse guides are fine but the spiral rails  start out anchored to the first profile ellipse edge but then the two rail lines merge together part way through and the single remaining rail line devolves to the center point of the target profile not touching the target profile ellipse edge line at all. 

That certainly wouldn't work in any NURBS modeler like MOI3D nor in Maya poligonal modeling either. The guide rails should both touch the target ellipse profile line not its center point and should not merge halfway through, otherwise, what is the point of the second ellipse?

I'd try that with just one rail between the ellipses for starters. A second one may be superfluous

aMRzw5L.png

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:
14 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Typically you have your guides ( the ellipses) and then you have the (in your case spiral) rails. Then you shoot the guides along the rails

In your example video the the ellipse guides are fine but the spiral rails  start out anchored to the first profile ellipse edge but then the two rail lines merge together part way through and the single remaining rail line devolves to the center point of the target profile not touching the target profile ellipse edge line at all. 

That certainly wouldn't work in any NURBS modeler like MOI3D nor in Maya poligonal modeling either. The guide rails should both touch the target ellipse profile line not its center point and should not merge halfway through, otherwise, what is the point of the second ellipse?

I'd try that with just one rail between the ellipses for starters. A second one may be superfluous

aMRzw5L.png

Hi, L'Ancien

Thank you for this detailed answer. Ok. I will try =)

I tried to use more, that one curve -  because the main goal is to create the base form for my hairstyles. For example, I want to create a hat like this =) 
hat_.thumb.jpg.bf967300d3517eff8a5e1ea3301eb86d.jpg

But with a more spiral and complex form.

Then want to control these curves by snapping to head near roots. 

So I think - I need more than one curve - to control the whole form. But still not understand, how to use them.. =) with Swept N Gen

17 hours ago, sprayer said:

Check this videos

Hi, Sprayer

Thank you for this, but I saw these videos and in them, he used a simple form... Not spirals and etc.. I can create these forms too. There is no problem with this. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, sprayer said:

But why do you need more paths than one? Your example can be made with only one path and profile
bTgXayz.jpg

I'm not sure =) That is I created this topic to find help =)) 

So, as I understand, I should create the main profile with vertex shaping to the head. 

Then Create the spiral spline and then control "roots" vertices with the main profile + snapping. Right? 

And for all of this, I need a "Swept along guide tool". Right? 

Ok, will try It and let you know. Maybe one curve will be enough. =)

Best regards,
Andrew.

• Advanced Member

@sprayer

So, I think I need more curves =) Because with them easier to control the whole form. 

Here is a video with a simple example, what I need(scene attached)

As you can see, when I used SurfaceSwept and only one curve - I didn't get the needed result... 

Best regards,
Andrew.

test_head_hairform.3b

• Advanced Member

The main task is to create the surfaces for this plugin =)

Then I convert them to guides and then create a hair =)

But I dived into grooming so much that I have not practiced modeling for a long time =) Because now modelers give me this forms on my main work =) But it is still sometimes needed for my own projects - for such tasks. And I liked that 3D-Coat lets you create complex shapes using curves - much easier than I did in Maya or 3ds Max. While I'm showing simple examples to deal with them, and then I'll start trying to create complex shapes =)

Edited by artofcharly

• Advanced Member

Maybe better to ask developer if it's possible.

alex.gorbatovsky@gmail.com

By the way you may also use single curve, change scale for points rotate them and use shapes from spline panel and when sculpt a bit with move tool. I am doubt what it's possible or will work well in 3dcoat because as i understand you want to make similar to nurbs 

kC7M3mH.jpg

Edited by sprayer
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, sprayer said:

Maybe better to ask developer if it's possible.

alex.gorbatovsky@gmail.com

By the way you may also use single curve, change scale for points rotate them and use shapes from spline panel and when sculpt a bit with move tool. I am doubt what it's possible or will work well in 3dcoat because as i understand you want to make similar to nurbs 

kC7M3mH.jpg

Yes, I already sent this topic to him =) 

About curves in Sculpt mode. Yeah, I want to create a ready-made grid of quads and this allows ModelMode to be done along with Curves. If you sculpt, then you need to do a retopology later, and it's easier to get spirals with curves =) and in Nurbs. As I said, I showed simple shapes. And ideally - I want to learn how to make complex =) But for this - I need to deal with simple ones =)

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Litle lesson.

Yeah. Excellent! But the question is different And if there is a spiral? I deliberately bent to just show this problem. OK. Now I'll prepare another scene = ) but first I'll check it myself. Thanks for the video.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Litle lesson.

I tried to make a more simple spiral example in 3ds max with Loft =) The goal is to create the form, then control it with curves near the head. 

This is inconvenient in 3ds Max. I would like to build a profile on the head, then one spiral and then control it all =)

To achieve something like this with good topology from Swept N GEn=)

spiral_4.thumb.jpg.1c4049dc769410e4cc60731e3d384bd5.jpgspiral_3.thumb.jpg.f6af76a61c872b0cdee2d36e97533edb.jpg

spiral_2.thumb.jpg.d6ab95689395a49600a6431fb4280abd.jpgspiral_1.thumb.jpg.bfcf13146699195ce637d73ff9f90ae7.jpg

Thank you.

• Advanced Member

Hi @Gorbatovsky

Tried to use SweptNGen for the main form + Swept for spiral... But still not working as needed=)

Video: 

• Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

The bend radius of the spline is too small.

Hmm, but if I need this form? =) What I should do? How to change bend radius? I don't see this option in the tool.

I attached the scene

spiral_test.3b

Edited by artofcharly

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Curves workflow: Questions