3DCoat Forums

[Fixed] Smart Material > add existing folder

MatCreator

• Advanced Member

Hello all.

In earlier versions of 3d coat, we could make material preset folders by having the textures named like "_color", "_bump" and "_spec". We could select 1 file of a folder, and all textures would be used to generate a texture preset that uses the corresponding files. I try doing this now for smart materials, and a few things happen that I would like to know how to have more control over.

1. Youll see from the screen cap that using the old method the smart material comes in with camera view. Can we adjust it so that the textures load under the cube mapping option?

2. Second thing you notice is that even though I have my textures named color/bump/spec, 3d coat used the bump in the roughness. How can I get it to accept my "spec" as roughness? Has the naming system changed?

3. The preview is based on the view option, if you have a collection of textures youre converting (as in the old skool method of adding existing material folders), is there a way to change the settings for the "auto generate smart material" function?

3dcoat-newSM.jpg

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] Smart Material > add existing folder

Ok, corrected it in the upcoming build 53:

Smart Materials->Add Existing Folder completely rewritten. Now it takes into account all types of maps, all imaginable textures names aliases, recovers displacement from the normal map (if no native displacement found), assigns cube-mapping and generates the preview. If there are images without alias at the end they will be treated as flat color maps.

The complete list of aliases

Bump:

_DEPTH, _BUMP, _DEEP, _DISPL, _DISP, _DISPLACEMENT, _D

Normalmap:

_NMAP, _NM, _NORMAL, _NORMALMAP, _NORM, _NORMALS, _N

Color:

_COLOR, _CLR, _DIFFUSE, _ALBEDO, _CL, _RGB, _DIF, _C

Gloss:

_SPEC, _GLOSS, _GLOSNESS, _GLOSINESS, _GLOSSNESS, _GLOSSINESS

Roughness:

_ROUGH, _ROUGHNESS, _R

Clip mask:

_MASK, _MSK, _MS, _CLIP, _ALPHA

Metallness:

_MET, _METAL, _METALL, _METALLICITY, _METALICITY, _METALNESS, _METALLNESS, _MT, _ME, _METL

Ignored:

_PREVIEW, _PREV, _TMB, _THUMBNAIL, _PRV, _AO, _OCCLUSION

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3DCoat-2021-53 
Tue Sep 21 21:36:32 2021

- Hint for the "Add existing materials folder" extended a lot, explains how to differ the channels, and is now different from other commands like "Add existing folder".

- Smart Materials->Add Existing Folder completely rewritten. Now it takes into account all types of maps, all imaginable textures names aliases, recovers displacement from the normal map (if no native displacement found), assigns cube-mapping and generates the preview. If there are images without alias at the end they will be treated as flat color maps.

- Fixed PSD link problem: with several (not all) blending modes the opacity of the layer resets to 100% after getting the image from Photoshop.

If any map is named with a space in the name, the texture is assigned as new Smart Material.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Fixed] Smart Material > add existing folder
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

2 things i noticed, no big deal...

using _rough as the suffix to a texture file name does not work, naming is ignored and the texture_rough creates a preset of its own.

when creating a new folder by importing textures as such, last texture switches to flat view as opposed to smart material preview.

im using .53, update manager crashes 3dc...