3DCoat Forums

UI troubleshooting (attempting UV unwrapping in 2021)

#000wizard

Guys, the UI  & UX is a real problem for a new user. Every time I open 3DCoat and try to do anything (besides painting, which is OK), I end up only troubleshooting.

Even importing is not straightforward, there are so many different options. All I want is to simply import the file and then do whatever — like any other software. Not worry about why nothing is working when I click on the model, or why the model disappears in certain "rooms" or when some tools are clicked.

ZBrush also gets critiqued for UI, but at least they make a lot of clear, fast, and up-to-date tutorials + #AskZBrush series.

There's no one question here, it's the whole process. If you think the UI is fine and the user is at fault, then please provide new tutorials for us simpletons. I'm taking the time to write this because I really want to like and buy 3DCoat. It seems like it has great tools. It's just not worth it to waste time and get nowhere, over and over. I see a lot of people say the same, and I'm sure a lot more simply give up and don't bother saying anything.

Anyway, I heard it's good for UV. I decided to try today on a multi-part (subtools / objects) sculpt. Here's how it went:

• Importing: So many options! Don't know what half of them are for. I picked Retopo Mesh.
  • It shows up auto-unwrapped for some reason, with a bunch of stuff I can't clear: colored lines, etc.
  • Don't know how to clear the auto-UVd islands from the preview.
  • Search tutorials (all old) and see UV Room is not the best for UV — use Retopo. What??
  • In Retopo room, I notice another Import option in Mesh menu. (Why?) So I try it, but when I click Mark Seams tool the whole model disappears. No idea what that's about, so back to File > Import I go.
  • Replacing the model is also convoluted; parts are left behind and have to be deleted one by one from the Polygroups menu? Horrible if your scene has a lot of parts. I don't know what to do except quit the software and restart, which I did, 5+ times now for different reasons.

Trying again:

• I start in Retopo > File > Import > Retopo Mesh, again.
  • Some Tool Options flyout is open. Click Apply. It asks "Do you want imported mesh topology to be snapped to voxel/reference mesh" — NO idea what this means. > No, I guess.
  • Again, cyan and magenta lines. Found this:
  • I feel the same as that person: "I think I'll just use another program for my UV mapping. I just want to quickly UV a model, I don't want to have to deal with these quirks."
  • Even if I keep trying:
  • How can I UV symmetrically? The Symmetry menu doesn't work how I think it will.
  • How do I UV just one part (Poly Group?) at a time and unwrap ONLY that one to see its islands?

+ Many more issues I can't recall or describe, just idiosyncratic "quirks".

All I want is to simply import the file and then do whatever.

It is not possible, sorry. 3DCoat is divided into clearly defined workspaces. View each room as a “mini-application” connected through and through.

In this videos we are going to look at the three different mesh types that exist in 3DCoat they are associated with the three primary workspaces paint, retopo, and sculpt.
The tweak room and the UV room are companion workspaces to the paint workspace in the sense that they work exclusively on paint objects.