3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Question about Floating License and Fserver for remote work

aileen

Go to solution Solved by SERGYI,

Good day,

I'm an artist from a small game dev team, and we're interested in purchasing 2 Company monthly subscriptions for 3D Coat. We currently have 3 texture artists, but not all of them will be using the software at the same time. So we are thinking of purchasing 2 Floating License for now.

Just have a few questions before proceeding with the purchase, to help us understand the FServer setup better.
Sorry for the basic questions since I'm not too technical. I emailed pilgway support but I haven't gotten a reply. So I'm hoping to ask help here.

----
#1 Is there an Fserver program available for MacOS? If none, is there a workaround for this?

#2 Our team has remote work, so we work in different locations. Will this create a problem with the FServer IP Address Setup?

#3 Does the computer acting as the Fserver need to be always on, or else the others won't be able to access the 3DCoat from their computer?

#4 Since we're remote work, is the floating license the recommended license for our team?

Thank you so much for your replies!

• Solution
On 8/26/2021 at 10:21 AM, aileen said:
Just have a few questions before proceeding with the purchase, to help us understand the FServer setup better.

Good day! First of all please note that "3DCoat 2021" and "3DCoatTextura 2021" clients have "FServer" built-in. You have to click "Load license" and open your file "FLOATING.license" directly inside them. Generally, there is no need to install and configure "FServer" for "3DCoat 2021" and "3DCoatTextura 2021" when your client machines are able to connect to the Internet. Only when your client machines with "3DCoat 2021" and "3DCoatTextura 2021" are not able to connect to the Internet but your server machine with "FServer" can connect to the "Internet" then there is a need for a local license server "FServer". Please see more in the document https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/FServer/FServer.pdf
That said here are answers to your questions:
1. Yes, the local license server "FServer" which supports "3DCoat 2021" is available for macOS.
2. No, because you don't even have to install the local license server "FServer" for your scenario. Click "Load license" inside your all "3DCoat 2021" clients to load your "FLOATING.license". "3DCoat 2021" clients will acquire your floating license from our global license server pilgway.com (188.138.102.74) through port 80.
3. Yes, because the local license server "FServer" is intended to replace the Internet connection from "3DCoat" clients to our global license server "pilgway.com" with the local connection between "3DCoat" clients and local license server "FServer".
4. Yes, a floating license is recommended for several users. But in "3DCoat 2021" it can be used without "FServer" in case "3DCoat 2021" clients can connect to the Internet.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Question about Floating License and Fserver for remote work
  • Carlosan pinned this topic