3DCoat Forums

[Feature] Transform tool should respect symmetry

• Advanced Member

imho there should be a way to do this for several objects. Right now there is no way to do this easy way.

Also there should be an option for Transform tool for respecting symmetry move, now you only could do it through pose tool with seelct through all option which is clunky and slow. That all makes small adjustment of several volumes  a pain.

Edited by jimhatama

• Advanced Member
On 8/27/2021 at 6:20 AM, jimhatama said:

imho there should be a way to do this for several objects. Right now there is no way to do this easy way.

Also there should be an option for Transform tool for respecting symmetry move, now you only could do it through pose tool with seelct through all option which is clunky and slow. That all makes small adjustment of several volumes  a pain.

yeah these would be great features. 

• Advanced Member
24 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Shift select several layers on Sculpt tree and RMB 

Clone w symmetry.jpg

Is not enough ?

it is extremly unfriendly and hard. I dont want new volumes I want press button and have symm copy executed. Also Most time this wouldnt even be needed if transform tool had somwhere option to respect symmetry while moving

I dont get why I can execute move with symmetry only  with pose tool

Edited by jimhatama

• Reputable Contributor

It appears you are asking for Symmetrical Copy to operate through several SculptTree layers at a time.  If so then it is feature request time.  A good part of 3DC's development has been due to feature request and Andrew's creative mind. 

I am a little confused about (Transform tool for respecting symmetry move). You mean through Several SculptTree layers? 

• Advanced Member

ok guys I dont get what is so hard abt this. See this pic. I have 3 volume in 1 group. Say I need to widen gap beetween them. Transform tool cant do this. Currently the only way of doing it is to use pose tool with through all volumes option, that requires several more clicks, reqiuers hiding all other meshes and can be rather slow at selecting high poly meshes. also Symm copy could do only 1 volume at once

7lyCz0w.png

• Advanced Member

Say im building a mech and want to adjust proportions. This kind of operations are trivial in other programms. And this actually could be trivial in coat as you can already move several grouped layers at once -you just cant move them using symmetry. usual workarnd for this is to move volume and use symm copy, but this only wiorks with one volume

symm move.gif

Edited by jimhatama
  • Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Feature] Symmetrical copy for several objects
  • Advanced Member
On 8/31/2021 at 5:42 AM, jimhatama said:

Say im building a mech and want to adjust proportions. This kind of operations are trivial in other programms. And this actually could be trivial in coat as you can already move several grouped layers at once -you just cant move them using symmetry. usual workarnd for this is to move volume and use symm copy, but this only wiorks with one volume

symm move.gif

yeah this is a really good way to describe it.  Using the pose tool to this is so slow. 

• Carlosan changed the title to [Feature] Transform tool should respect symmetry
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

This is not a "feature" "request". It's the basics of how symmetry should work in any software. The Transform Tool disregarding Symmetry is highly illogical and a long standing problem for for me as well.

The pose tool is absolutely fantastic, but we don't always wanna pose/deform an object, we rather wanna translate, rotate, or scale it without having to think of falloffs or having to lasso select the entire object first, or, temporarily set it to "Object" in the Pose Tool's dropdown menu.

Furthermore, when Symmetry is active, the Transform gizmo should center to center of mass of the actual mirrored object on one side, not center inside the world center where its mirrored along anyways.

Editing with symmetry on should consistently affect also the most basic operations, which are Transforms, first and foremost.

Whenever someone rightfully brings this issue up I get the slight feeling as if this was treated as some kind of edge case, letting the OP seem odd, as if he would not understand core principles, so it seemingly not being 3D Coat's shortcomings for the reason of the post, but rather the users inexperience with it. While this can often be the case, it is not in this one.

How does it help to hint OP to "Symm Copy" ? It doesn't solve the actual issue OP described. And it should indeed not be hard to understand unless one has a lack of understanding and experience using other 3D software. Using symm copy as a workaround for this is obviously too cumbersome. OP explained it very well. Only he demonstrated it on multiple objects, when in fact it should also already work on a single object the same way.

This should be standard, not a "feature" to request. I love the Pose tool very much. It's versatility continues to awe me almost daily since I started using 3D Coat. But, I too want to able to simply transform objects with active symmetry using the Transform tool instead of the Pose tool. It works, yes, but it frequently interrupts my workflow, being used to Blender and ZBrush for years, I still always just assume it will work with Symmetry when switching to the Transform tool in 3D Coat, only to sadly see I need to first go to a different tool, the Pose tool, for a simple, quick symmetrical transformation. It's a huge interruption when you are used to working quickly with symmetry in other software.

OP pointed out a glaring shortcoming in 3D Coats UX in regards to the Transform tool, one which should be addressed, not requested as feature.

Attached quick gif from ZBrush to show how this is just naturally working once symmetry is enabled with the "X" key:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Edited by Henry Townshend
typo
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...