3DCoat Forums

Set start up file and open it with File > New

tokikake

• Advanced Member

Why we do not have option which can  save file as start-up file which we set scene scale and  measurement Unit settings etc, and once we save the file as start up file, 3d coat auto open it with File>new :(

Set start up file option may need in user preference too. (so we can save multiple start-up file, and change it from user preference)

Though I save the file which change scene scale or measurement units, as custom start up file (just save as usuall 3d coat scene file), but everytime serch it and open is annoying.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, tokikake said:

Why we do not have option which can  save file as start-up file which we set scene scale and  measurement Unit settings etc, and once we save the file as start up file, 3d coat auto open it with File>new :(

Set start up file option may need in user preference too. (so we can save multiple start-up file, and change it from user preference)

Though I save the file which change scene scale or measurement units, as custom start up file (just save as usuall 3d coat scene file), but everytime serch it and open is annoying.

That would be awesome, yes in user preferences !
however, there is something more :  The first time you "Save" (CTRL+S) should act as "Save incrementally" (SHIFT+CTRL+S) otherwise you will damage your start-up file each time you hit CTRL+S by accident.
(I know, because I have been working with start-up files for years. I double click on a start-up file to open 3d-Coat).

That said, it is already possible to add your start-up file to the splash screen. I have never attempted it myself because the steps are not user friendly :
https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21893-solved-how-to-changeexpand-the-start-up-window/&do=findComment&comment=150717

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Silas Merlin said:

That would be awesome, yes in user preferences !
however, there is something more :  The first time you "Save" (CTRL+S) should act as "Save incrementally" (SHIFT+CTRL+S) otherwise you will damage your start-up file each time you hit CTRL+S by accident.
(I know, because I have been working with start-up files for years. I double click on a start-up file to open 3d-Coat).

That said, it is already possible to add your start-up file to the splash screen. I have never attempted it myself because the steps are not user friendly :
https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21893-solved-how-to-changeexpand-the-start-up-window/&do=findComment&comment=150717

I see, yes it is important (never overwritten without user intention).  what I though was, the start up file need to be open as auto duplicated file. 

then original start up fiel scene,  never be over-written, untill we save as start-up file again , when we save as start up file, current start up file will be overwritten.

And I supposed it need to work like this...

1.  open new file >> 3d coat open auto duplicated user saved start up  file which set in user preferecne. at same time 3d coat  not show file name. 

2.   import mesh , add, generate etc  then when save , 3d coat request to input name, as same as when we start with new file.(current way)

3. if we return factory setting,  3d coat clear path for start up file.

I may check the way to add the start up file for splash scrreen thanks^_^  (hope it may not so complex).

(actually I may hope we have option not show splash scrreen when run 3d coat, though  I seldom use it,,,  ^^; )

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, tokikake said:

then when save , 3d coat request to input name, as same as when we start with new file.(current way)

I would personally hate that. I would rather be able to set default save path (desktop) and default file name in preferences, so that when I save, it just saves, without prompting.

5 minutes ago, tokikake said:

I may hope we have option not show splash scrreen when run 3d coat

That is the reason I start 3d-Coat by double clicking on a start file > to bypass splash screen

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

I would personally hate that. I would rather be able to set default save path (desktop) and default file name in preferences, so that when I save, it just saves, without prompting.

maybe I suppose it can be added as option. (as for me default behavor is not matter) 

As blender, it work as described. (I can save as start up file, but it not show any real file name, then I do not think we can set start up file path.. I do not see the option as user preference,)

and other soft wear can set start up file.in user preference, but It not have menu save as start up file.

so I guess mixing way is most flexible.  (can set stat up file path, and can save as start up file) 

As start point, anyway I may hope "new file" keep my scene scale and unit related setting ^^;   

• Advanced Member
24 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

You mean turn off this ?

Show Import.jpg

Yes thanks I did not notice it. it worked.  (I did not understand the option meaning) ^^

but if now I use it, I can not set start up file, with Silas linked way.  so I hope to request,

option save as start up file = I can keep my settings about scene or voxel or measure unit , and when I open new it use my setting ^^ (but not overwrite the start up file,  without intention when save)

startup.JPG.ebd1287cee378c5cdde37a7885bfb787.JPG

or set default file path in user preference. (how manage it to avoid overwrite, do not have clear idea ^^;)

Edited by tokikake

• Carlosan changed the title to Set start up file and open it with File > New
  • Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Press END and use any free key combination over any thumbnail to define new hotkey. 

END.jpg

hm, yes I suppose I can set hot key to open start up file as you described.   but how you set up those to simply load start up file when you launch 3d coat, auto open the scene?  to make it work,

I need to make new start up scene. (yes I already have them) it is not problem at all.  but at current,  . I do not know how I assign the hot key to open specific scene  As you said, I suppose I can set hot key to open new file (as any mode) from start up menu, but to choose which file I use,  Maybe  I need to set up xml then add new file image follow the linked way as start up option.  , after that set hot keys for the action from start up menu, then use ths short cut key, when launch 3d coat? 

As my view,  I really think the start-up menu is most useful for new user  who need to understand how 3d coat work for each room.  and it may show how 3d coat work basic.

but just start without start up >> select room as tab,  which you hope to  work, then do things (import files or use offered primitive, as I need is more simple for me. I do not know reason why we prefer to use start up menu just choose room which we work (I already know each room usage) 

Then after save real scene for keep working, we need not use any  start up menus to continue working. (select room or select file or generate Tile etc) .   just need open file command. Though I know how make batch, but I really not hope the way is how 3d coat set start up files. (use setting xml then add short cut or use original batch)

Just offer function to define  start up file is good for any aprication.  (without hasttle around manuall setting file tweaking ,and avoid user miss overwrite when save safety)

The main reason I request is because  there seems no good reason, 3d coat change my scene scale and measurement unit, voxel per unit setting every time return to factory default,(mm and scene scale as 1.00, voxel unit as 1.00   when I open new :(

I really bother about it, (I had requested about it ) So If 3d coat keep to return as default only about those setting, I may hope 3d coat offer simple stable function, after user set those option, just  save as start up file, 3d coat auto open when launch and use it as start up file with file> new it solve my issue. or I may ask Andrew , why you still change my setting for new file again.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/1/2021 at 11:04 AM, tokikake said:

The main reason I request is because  there seems no good reason, 3d coat change my scene scale and measurement unit, voxel per unit setting every time return to factory default,(mm and scene scale as 1.00, voxel unit as 1.00   when I open new :(

On version you can Use fixed scene scale by default
Use fixed scene scale.jpg