3DCoat Forums

Noob Question

jaikez

Go to solution Solved by sprayer,

37efd8c0516c4c2523ebc7e8ad58105f-37efd8c0516c4c2523ebc7e8ad58105f-98821799.png37efd8c0516c4c2523ebc7e8ad58105f-37efd8c0516c4c2523ebc7e8ad58105f-46520658.png37efd8c0516c4c2523ebc7e8ad58105f-37efd8c0516c4c2523ebc7e8ad58105f-59746169.pngIs there going to be any tutorials for 3d coat textura or any new tutorials for noob types for 3d coat 2021 as i just upgraded to both of these.  I didnt use 3d coat for a long time . Another noob kind of question is what format do i save in to import objects with materials and textures into hitfilm pro .

Hitfilm Importing 3D Objects

To import a 3D model, click the drop-down arrow on the Import button in the Media panel and choose Import 3D model.

*HitFilm supports the .lwo, .3ds, .abc, .fbx and .obj formats.

The 3D model properties window will appear with information about your selected model. The information displayed will vary depending on the way the model has been designed.

3d-object-import.jpg
There are three sections for customizing the model during import – Groups, Materials and Advanced. You can return to adjust Materials and Advanced at any time during your project, but Groups can only be changed during import.

This program is so complicated its truly a nitemare to use . I first purchased 3d coat back in 2016 and still to this day i have never been able to get the materials and textures to be included in the export and i have not found one tutorial that explains this for people who are not professional .. I am starting to realize that programs like this are more for the pro user and no  longer user friendly to amateurs like myself , not to mention this company has no usefull tutorials for beginner and never has had any .. They appear to depend on the user community to creat them and for sure i cant afford to buy tutorials..

Isnt there some feature in 3d coat that just auto creates uv's and textures when you want to create the coloring and such . ?  I am beginning to realize that even blender is more easy to use. then 3d coat . 

• Like 1

AlienMinefiled have a good playlist showing basic concept for 3DC.

Please take a look about autoretopo and baking. Hope it help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Keep in mind, no matter how complicated or simple the software you use, the steps to follow are the same for all applications. This video exemplifies the usual steps that we find in the creation of a character

Thanks and i agree about the steps being complicated . Its just that most other software like blender has tons and tons of tutorials to explain how to do such things.. Anyone can learn any software if there is enough tutorials to explain the how to do things . Doesnt matter how complicated blender is . what i realize now is that the tuturials and the community is what makes software great and fun to use.. I will continue to use 3d coat and create objects then import into blender or even into the unreal engine .. IN fact i use to create the objects in 3d coat and texture and paint them in the unreal engine.. The tutorials from alien minefield are not useful as they are too too old and dont apply so much to the new interface and all the changes as they were made in 2016.  However alien minefield is a genius and has completely the right idea about how to make tutorials for 3d coat.. What i dont understand is why pilgway doesnt have tutorials at least equal to or better then the ones created by alien minefield.. Also i understand that the pro user of 3d software will not empathize or understand my position . 

Once again i maintain it is the duty of the creator of software programs to create the tutorials that can help a person who is not a pro user . to use the software.  I assume that is why blender is taking over in the 3d industry not just because its free but because its geared towards everyone .. the beginner and the advanced user.. 

I wish alien minefield would make new tutorials  for 3d coat 2021 .  . hahaha  Anyways thanks for the help , pal . 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jaikez said:

Once again i maintain it is the duty of the creator of software programs to create the tutorials that can help a person who is not a pro user .

I have purchased the new 3DC Textura even knowing there were no fresh tutorials available. I'm an amateur too but I believe we as customers should be able to tell why and how something would add to our current workflow.

I remember struggling a lot in my journey with ZBrush, but just because I lack some basic 3D concepts back then. Nowadays, using 3D Coat Textura, with no previous 3D Coat knowledge was reasonable easy. For materials in the target application, you can write some basic scripts to create those from texture files, no big deal really. Everything I do I learned from internet. Materials is a complex matter always because each app has its own settings, even when using Blender conventions not always translated directly.

Presently i am trying to get a refund for 3DC Textura   as i have 3d coat 2021 and apparently 3dc textura is already included in 2021. I made a mistake in purchasing the upgrade from 3d coat 2021 and upgraded to 3dc textura.  Also i admire people who have mastered Zbrush . As far as writing scripts i dont think that is a skill i would be able to acquire.. Actually i admire and have nothing but respect for advanced 3d graphic artists and such . Mostly my thing is music composing 

I hope at some point to be able to create artsy fartsy kinds of graphic videos so i can compose the music to go with them.. Things like fantacy worlds, sci fi , etc etc. As in animation using , blender, unreal engine , hitfilm express. etc etc.   

And to EV i agree that Zbrush is easy to learn and for sure there are tons of videos available but its not a program that i have any real interest in . Also i just started using blender again and with the most recent version of blender i am astonished at the improvements that have been made and how much easier it is to use and learn and with the number of tutorials on youtube  anyone can get really good in that program with some effort  assuming they have the desire . etc etc 

thanks , for liking the music i have  about 215 tracks of original music on sound cloud but sadly i am not on spotify . Also i forgot to say that people like you EV who have mastered Zbrush are on the genius level or like Yoda as in star wars . !  .  The work i see from people who create art  using  Zbrush is breath taking .        https://soundcloud.com/jaikez

Edited by jaikez
forgot the link

• Advanced Member

Maybe you have problem not in 3dcoat but with program what you trying to import, not all program may take and load textures automatically this is problem in all soaftware then you trying to put 3d model from one program to another, you need to place texture manually because it's impossible, any 3d software have own render engine and own shaders you need to put texture in different shader, 3dcoat just saving textures and your final program should load, 3dcoat cannot do this. There is some specification for standard shader for example for obj format but it cannot store all textures and shader settings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavefront_.obj_file#Material_template_library
It's not contain pbr settings as it's old
fbx also have own specification and it have different versions

And there is many tutorials just look in section on that forum. 3dtextura just one room of 3dcoat so you may see tutorials for paintroom. Not all good but you may find some really good. If you saw alien minefield you already should know how 3dcoat works

https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/forum/15-tutorials-and-new-feature-demos/

Zbrush much complicate to learn imho, developer was insane when he making zbrush functional

Can anyone verify that 3d textura is included in the 3d coat 2021 as i have both programs and i am really confused on this issue. ? And thanks ever so much sprayer and please understand that i am not saying that 3d coat is not a great program. I didnt use 3d coat since about 2016 and just recently upgraded to the 3dcoat 2021 and the 3d coat textura .  The only software that i truly love is cubase 11 pro .. any other software i just use them and see the good and the bad especially in 3d graphic programs.  For example i use to really hate blender but with the most recent version of blender i would almost say i could really like that software now .. Its all about improvements as far as i am concerned with sofware . However with the true fans of say 3d coat i am sure any comment i might make that doesnt fit the narative of love and adoration for the software is likely to offend and make me appear to be some kind of evil person for even making comments. 

As i said i am a real fan of cubase pro 11 , yet on the forms many many people make comments about dislikes of the software and this has been going on for years and yet steinberg reads those forums and constantly has made improvements thanks to those who complained and didnt praise the software.. and as a result of this .. cubase 11 pro is at the top of chain as being the absolute best DAW . Its the people who find faults with the software who are the best friends of software companies , not so much the people who worship the software.  Anyways sorry if i offended anyone in my comments about 3d coat but in closing i find it to be not user friendly , not intuitive, confusing totally and hardly any decent tutorials available . 

Edited by jaikez
need correcting

Back in 2016 i used two programs to texture and create materials and then import into the unreal engine because that was where i was going to create my animations. The two programs were Iclone pro and 3d coat .   With iclone pro version i imported 3D models , then textured and applied materials to them , then exported to fbx and then imported to unreal engine and had to assign some materials according to what the unreal engine wanted and bingo the model looked exactly like it was suppose to using the iclone fbx .. Doing the same thing with 3d coat  as in creating an fbx file and saving it properly according to what i was even told to on this very forum https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20271-export-options/&tab=comments#comment-141293      and the end result in the unreal engine is that it didnt look even remotely as good as in 3d coat when the fbx was imported into the unreal engine.. And now i am getting the same results using the most recent version of 3d coat 2021 even with the new improved paint room .. when importing into the newest version of the unreal engine.. Also in forums all over the place including blender forums it appears people use say for example 3dcoat for creating 3d models but then they import them into blender and do the the texturing and material in blender.  

This is what i will do also , in that i will do my animations then using blender   and texturing and materials also in blender and use 3d coat 2021 to create the models . and import without textures from 3d coat to blender. 

You guys in here are the pro 3d graphic artist i assume but this is only my opinion but even Iclone 7 does a better job with the export 

of fbx files to blender or the unreal engine as far as the texturing and shaders. etc..   And i also used Spiral Graphics - Genetica  to create the textures and materials that i dragged into Iclone and it was amazing how good the 3d model would export from Iclone and then look exactly the same in as i am saying the unreal engine.   However i wont bother to make any more posts on this issue as i give up . trying to get it to work . 

Edited by Carlosan
Typo error correction

• Advanced Member
  • Solution

You just do no understand how it works. All programs have own file format and they forbidden to using in other software because of copyrights. So we should using third party file formats what opens to exchange FBX or OBJ but because progress moving, every day new technology exchange formats cannot be often updated, actually autodesk trying update FBX and it have versions 2018.2019.2020 etc and this is issue compatibility for other programs. So this exchange format have more compatibly but only have few features to store texture like color, specular, opacity etc but it cannot store PBR materials (roughness, ior etc this is new physical base shader what most modern software using including viewport of 3dcoat when you drawing texture) even pbr have own standard for specular channel, also normal map for many program a bit different. So in another program you have to make your own shader and collect textures manually, insert in right slot, invert normal map\set gamma(remember i said they are different)
It's all because FBX and OBJ cannot store modern PBR workflow as they are old third party file format for exchange only between 3d software and mostly only for 3d mesh not for materials. There is substance painter from Adobe now what have own sbsar format and some program including unreal engine may import with ALL settings in shader but this may lead to another problems.
3dcoat yes a bit not intuitive, but if you look in similar software like zbrush and substance painter they are even worse and more complicate. Did you saw photoshop and illustrator? They are look the same but many similar features work completely different way this is blow my mind when i saw how works applying gradient to text in both softwares or how they work with vector compare to Corel draw for example. And because photoshop have huge base, template, mock-up stores etc, we cannot throw it away, that's why own format is bad.

To conclude my text you need just to study how to make shader in final program, this is not 3dcoat related if we talking about textures, you may see material library like quixel megascan (it is free by the way) mostly they are provided just this textures even if you have option to import in final program they are often wrong and you need to adjust settings in shader manually

You are very correct  Sprayer and in a way its like proprietary ways of doing things such as textures and materials  in various software programs such as 3d coat that simply cant make the transition to another 3d or animation program . That is why sometimes its best to keep as much as everything all under the same hood which is why people no doubt pay 2000 dollars a  month for maya or 3d studio max..  Or even why people now claim they can mostly do  everything under the same hood as in blender .  I get it that its not the fault of any software , not the fault of 3d coat or any other 3d software..   However having said this  I am still amazed at how well Iclone does on this issue . Its just that iclone is not a modelling program , its mainly an animation program that most people use the unreal engine as the animation engine . 

And also i use fruity loops and like that program also . 

17 hours ago, jaikez said:

I wish alien minefield would make new tutorials  for 3d coat 2021 .  . hahaha  Anyways thanks for the help , pal . 

I wouldn't bet on that. Alienminefield ended up giving his tutorials for free on a paid platform probably due piracy. This is a serious issue as always. High quality tutorials requires a lot of work besides the talent. And at the end of the day, if you can't pay your bills, why bother? Alienminefield  would have been my first choice to follow for learning 3D-Coat. He could have been a real ambassador for Pilgrim. Like Grant Warwick for V-ray, Richard Yot for Modo, Bojan Koturanovic or Edon Guraziu for Moi 3D, Michael Pavlovich for Zbrush , Wes McDermott for Substance....and so on. I just named a few.

A partnership is mandatory.

• Like 3