3DCoat Forums

Affinity Photo: Sync layer crashes if layer with no name

While using the Edit/ Sync layer w/ ext editor to make some edits in external app I sometimes add a new layer by mistake. When this is the case it always crash 3DCoat after sending it back to it.

Before crashing 3DCoat offers the option to save the work (which is great!), but I think it could be even better if  instead of crashing it just prevent the import of the bad PSD, then alert the user it need to be fixed, like:

"Warning: bad layer structure detected, please fix it or sync again, incoming sync cancelled."

• Thanks 1

Hi, you are right I tested today with one of the example objects it works fine. Sorry for the false alarm.

Although it still happens on a more complex project, and sometimes instead of crashing all other layers disappear.

Do you use Photoshop? I use Affinity Photo so it may be related to how it exports too. I will try to understand better and send the bug reports before adding more news.

I forgot to mention, try to add a layer with no name (empty name), that's what Affinity adds for me automatically in some cases, and in all these cases it crash... This I reproduce even with the example objects.

image.thumb.png.76cffaff603cf64e0183ab53b095480f.png

Edited by E.V.

• Advanced Member

But you are using not photoshop. Do not know what you want if you trying to edit PSD in another software. Affinity still cannot open smart layers , so not support many photoshop filters and i believe it is doing something in own way so you cannot open PSD saved from affinity in 3dcoat. Also photoshop saving PSD so you can open this file even in very old photoshop, but affinity trying to convert file for own needs at opening

• Carlosan changed the title to Affinity Photo: Sync layer crashes if new layer added

The title could be rewritten to " Affinity Photo: Sync layer crashes if layer with no name"

Yes I'm not using PS but it works surprisingly well I should say, I just have to be careful of always naming the new layers. If I need it to be editable for later I can always save a copy in Affinity  native format, no problem.

I'm pretty happy with this feature and how it integrates well.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to Affinity Photo: Sync layer crashes if layer with no name