3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Problem importing textures to unreal engine

jaikez

Can anyone tell me why 3d coat doesnt export any textures that the unreal engine can import.. Doesnt matter what version of 3d coat i use or the fact i have used it off and on for over six years i dont get why the developer doesnt make detailed videos to explain how when one exports a fbx file that the textures created in the pain room and painted on the object dont get exported and why this program is not compatible with the unreal engine . I read people have the same problem exporting to blender.. I mean this is ridiculous .. 

You need to connect texture nodes to shader inputs manually. The process it is not automatic.

If you have black spots, checked the box -Override Light Map Res, and checked the box -Use Two Sided Lighting.

The black spot was gone after that. Hope that helps.

related...

Thanks for trying to help me Carlosan and i have now figured out how to do this.. It involves using the material editor in the unreal engine and then using some basic blueprints.. and connecting a few texture sample materials   together  with the material editor blueprint .  Although sadly it appears that the unreal engine will not be able to use all the materials that are exported in the fbx file , that is . !  .  created in 3d coat so only an approximation of the material that was created in 3d coat is going to make the transition to the unreal engine 5 . This might not be the case in all materials in 3d coat but at least the majority of them.. which actually for me personally renders the idea of making materials in 3d coat to be useless.. I am just better off to texture everything or mostly everything in the unreal engine . 

The title should be changed as the problem is not EXPORTING but instead IMPORTING. 3D Coat exports very well, very customizable for PBR workflow, it saves a lot of time. Maybe the Unreal forum has more well "Unreal" users who could help, as the issue lies in the import part.

I understand your frustration, I don't know Unreal but in Unity it is no big issue creating materials for existing textures (with a few C# lines), I remember founding very good documentation for Unity. Now for Unreal not sure it is the case:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/RenderingAndGraphics/Textures/Importing/

https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/RenderingAndGraphics/Materials/

• Carlosan changed the title to Problem importing textures to unreal engine
  • Advanced Member

This how it works in all software with exchanged file format they not support PBR shader and specific shaders, only simple color texture, bump, and specular. this is specification of FBX not 3dcoat. But there is maybe some script to load textures name by mask in right slots of materials

Edited by sprayer

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Problem importing textures to unreal engine