3DCoat Forums

Exporting to Blender with materials intact?

bertbertbert8

Hi everyone, I'm a 2D concept artist who has been incorporating 3D into my workflow more and more in recent years. I am a decently seasoned modeler and sculptor for someone who is primarily a 2D artist, but 3D materials are something that I have only recently dipped my toes into, as until now I have largely stuck to hand-painting in 2D or using photo textures over top of plain geometry for my concept work. Blender has been my sole 3D app for all of my time using 3D.

With that preamble out of the way, I'm learning 3D Coat because I'm tired of the limitations of sculpting in Blender. I was also initially very excited about the possibility of using the software's texture painting capabilities, but it's dawning on me that exporting an object from 3D Coat to Blender with materials intact is perhaps something that can't be accomplished with a few clicks.

Sorry for the extremely noobish materials question but can someone point me in the right direction as far as moving between the two programs with materials intact? Is the only method importing my 3D Coat objects into Blender and then setting up the materials manually in the nodes editor? I have a rudimentary understanding on how to do this but it's a bit labor intensive for me. I clearly have a lot to learn on this topic.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

Edited by bertbertbert8

Hi 

For new releases and bug fix you can ask developer directly at 

https://blenderartists.org/t/3d-coat-applink-for-blender-2-8/1117068

Meantime you can export textures using 

Files > Export objects and textures > Use Constructor switched ON

Select Blender > Cycles

Constructor.jpg

On Blender activate Node Wrangler addon. Use > Add Principled Setup

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/addons/node/node_wrangler.html

Principled.jpg

Hi there, I don't sem to have the option "File>Export Objects and Textures" (you can see the menu pictured below). I also don't get a menu like that when I choose any export option. It only asks me to save the file (so I input name and select file export type) and then it asks me what settings I want for the Reduction Tool. When I hit OK, that's it. I should have the newest version of 3D Coat installed  (2021.39). I wonder what gives?98a89f89.jpg.4ae6e0283e18449f5a319109b27f8aab.jpg

Actually, I see now that the option pops up only when I actually have a texture applied haha. Duh. BUT, I still don't get that options menu when I export. I only see the Save dialogue and then the Reduction Tool dialogue. The export options menu never pops up.

Edited by bertbertbert8

Export objects and textures only turns visible and available if there is any mesh with UVs loaded on Paint Room.

Paint.jpg

From Sculpt Room that option is not available, because Sculpted meshes dont have UVs on 3DCoat.

Its how Sculpt Room works. To create UVs you need to switch to retopo room, create a retopo mesh, mark seams and unwrap then bake.

After that steps, the baked mesh is loaded automatically on Paint Room