3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Link between 3DCoat and Photoshop not working

Hi there!

With a colleague, we are working together on a project where I introduced him for the first time to 3D Coat. And he loves it!
But.. Impossible for him to switch from 3D Coat to Photoshop. The external 2D editor selected is the right one, but nothing happens when using the shortcut (CTRL+P).
He tried to buy a new version of Photoshop (2021), thinking his might be too old, but nothing changed.

Right now, he is on the trial version of 3D Coat (2021-39), so maybe this feature isn't available in the trial version?

Sorry for my poor english, and thank you in advance!

Thank you so much, it was just this hotkey which was missing!!!
I don't know why it wasn't functionnal already (well I never met this problem myself with my license), but now my colleague can entirely appreciate 3D Coat -and finish his work :D

Once again, thank you very much, and have a wonderful day!

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Link between 3DCoat and Photoshop not working
  • 4 months later...

I am having this same issue. I have my 3DCoat installation (M:\3DCOAT APP\3DCoat-2021) on a separate drive that my Photoshop installation (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022). In 3DCoat, I have selected the directory where my Photoshop.exe is located. I "Applied" it in Preferences, and I saved an XML of preferences in (C:\Users\matth\Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange\UserPrefs\Preferences\2DEditor.xml). I also set the Edit All Layers in Ext. Editor hotkey to CTRL+P. I have both Photoshop and 3D Coat open. I restarted 3DCoat after doing all of this. But no matter what I do, 3DCoat will not send anything over to Photoshop. I am in the Paint Room. Am I missing something? 

It only works if the mesh model have an UVset created. Cant send any model if was only painted on surface vertex (polypaint).

Try opening the default mesh sphere.

Windows > Panels > Start Menu

Paint UV mapped mesh

Paint PPP.jpg

Select Sphere model

Sphere.jpg

* testing it on 2021.94

Oh wow! Thank you for the quick response. I wasn't expecting that. And that is exactly what it was. Now I just need to figure out how to get the model and the painted UVs into Blender so that I can set up my scene. Thank you so much for the insight and help. I appreciate you. :D

Okay. So I have another question, but will understand if it can't be answered on this current topic. I sculpted a creature in the sculpting room. Then I painted it in the Paint room. I saved it as an OBJ. When I open it using the above process, it doesn't bring in any of the painting that I did after it does the auto-mapping of the UVs. I am basically trying to get UVs created of my current paint job on the sculpt so that I can pull the maps into Photoshop and do some brush work with my custom brushes.